• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Five Beers to Try Before I Die

My closet sits with 2 bottles of the Firestone walker xx, 2 bottles of the velvet merkin, 2 bottles of the stone xacoveza aged in charred barrels(the regular one is pretty good), 4 bottles of goose island bourbon County from 2014, 6 from 2015, and 5 from 2016, 4 bottles of Deschutes Double black butte 21 (2010 I think) some 26 27 and 28, 2 bottles each of the abyss from last year's two special barrel aged beers, and 4 bottles of 2016 stone wookie stout. I have a lot more but those are my pride and joy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:
My closet sits with 2 bottles of the Firestone walker xx, 2 bottles of the velvet merkin, 2 bottles of the stone xacoveza aged in charred barrels(the regular one is pretty good), 4 bottles of goose island bourbon County from 2014, 6 from 2015, and 5 from 2016, 4 bottles of Deschutes Double black butte 21 (2010 I think) some 26 27 and 28, 2 bottles each of the abyss from last year's two special barrel aged beers, and 4 bottles of 2016 stone wookie stout. I have a lot more but those are my pride and joy.

That is exactly what the toxicologist said was in Snap's stomach. You might double check your closet . . .

BozAngelesGriz said:
Black Eagle Brewery in G-falls (technically Black Eagle). they do some cool experiments with nitros. also you can't beat the $2 pints and $5 growler fills for the beer of the month!

What?! That is incredible!!

CDAGRIZ said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
Black Eagle Brewery in G-falls (technically Black Eagle). they do some cool experiments with nitros. also you can't beat the $2 pints and $5 growler fills for the beer of the month!

What?! That is incredible!!

no foolin! pretty darn good beer, too.

I'm not that well versed in the beer world ... that being said I do like beer with flavor!

I don't have access to many of the Montana brews here in Nebraska

I did quite enjoy the Pig's Ass Porter I had while visiting family in Butte.

Recently enjoyed Leinenkugel's Bavarian Dunkel.

I frequent the near-by Old Chicago for the World Beer Tour.

Their Christmas Tour was pretty good this year.

My all time favorite brew was a Christmas Ale - Yule Ol - from Norway I believe ... had that many years ago at Bert & Ernie's in Great Falls, where my beer diversity training started.

Allezchat said:

For those who don't know, if you are going to cellar craft beer, you better know what you are doing!

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/cellaring-craft-beer-to-age-or-not-to-age

Nothing worse than tasting bottle cap with a hint of early skunk.

Allezchat said:

You win and so far it isn't even close.
My closet has mostly Big Sky and Kettlehouse. I have a boring closet.

grizaremoregooder said:
Pliny the elder and especially Pliny the youngster are very tough to come by. I had a buddy buy a six pack of the elder and I think it was like 70 bucks a bottle maybe more.
I think $70 was probably for all six beers. Last time I bought Pliny, it cost around $12/bottle.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

grizcountry420 said:
I bought a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout the other day and that beer was probably one of the best barrel aged beers ive had in quite sometime. The only issue i have is the bottle is just a little over 16oz..

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/10672/

If you can get your hands on more, buy it up and then sit on it for a year. Or if you have two bottles, drink one after a year and the other a year after that. Bourbon County is a fantastic beer after a year. Better than drinking it right away. 5 year old Deschutes Double Black Butte is probably the best beer I've ever had to give you an idea of how long you can still be drinking beer.

Dark beers and high in alcohol age the best. I had a really good Quad last year for New Years that was about 4 or 5 years old. Belgian, which I normally wouldn't age, but high in alcohol.

NativeGriz said:
Allezchat said:

You win and so far it isn't even close.
My closet has mostly Big Sky and Kettlehouse. I have a boring closet.

To add, now that I can think a little more. A bottle of the 2010 Jubel(we had one on new years and it was tasty), a bottle of the 2015, a 2015 Disadent, 2 bottles of the John John by Rogue aged in gin barrels(another one we did on New Years that was good), 3 bottles each of Rogue Mocha porter and Chocolate Bock, some 30 year anniversary Sierra Nevada, a Rogue Voodoo II, and some other Sierra's that were given to me as gifts last year.

I have a few bottles of the special series that Flathead Lake does. Not a fan of Barleywine, but theirs was good. I also have 2 bottles of their Camp Misery. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know. I guess their brewer is the guy that developed Deschute's barrel aged stuff.

The stuff Blackfoot does is good. I wish I had bough more of what they the last few years to try after more years, but I already drank the bottles I bought.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Allezchat said:

For those who don't know, if you are going to cellar craft beer, you better know what you are doing!

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/cellaring-craft-beer-to-age-or-not-to-age

Nothing worse than tasting bottle cap with a hint of early skunk.

I bought a some bottles of some Grand Teton a decade ago. I think 2003-2005 where the dates on the bottles. When I was moving once, I ended up storing them at a buddy's house in his basement and forgot about them. Two years ago, I remembered they were down there. These were all bottles that had the fancy resealable pop top dipped in wax and they were stored in his dark basement. I opened all of them and they were junk. Some had a really strong vinegar taste to them. But GTB doesn't do those beers anymore.

Basically, for those who don't know, grab a few bottles and see what happens. Save one beer out of that 6 pack you like. See what it tastes like after a year. Maybe its good, maybe its not. But its just a beer. Then when you start spending over $10 per bottle, you have a little experience under your belt.

Allezchat said:
grizcountry420 said:
I bought a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout the other day and that beer was probably one of the best barrel aged beers ive had in quite sometime. The only issue i have is the bottle is just a little over 16oz..

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/10672/

If you can get your hands on more, buy it up and then sit on it for a year. Or if you have two bottles, drink one after a year and the other a year after that. Bourbon County is a fantastic beer after a year. Better than drinking it right away. 5 year old Deschutes Double Black Butte is probably the best beer I've ever had to give you an idea of how long you can still be drinking beer.

Dark beers and high in alcohol age the best. I had a really good Quad last year for New Years that was about 4 or 5 years old. Belgian, which I normally wouldn't age, but high in alcohol.

I live in Missoula but my parents live outside of Great Falls and there is a little hole in the wall store in GF called Vintage Sellers, right next to 2J's. They have some hard to find beers there and they sit on the shelves for a bit cause GF just dont have the beer freaks like Missoula does. I think i only paid 9.99 for it and at the good food store in Missoula, i bought a bottle for 15 and the next time i went back they were sold out.

Yep. Bozeman was sold out in like 15 minutes when the small amount of it went up for sale. Vintage sellars is a great beer store. I can't go to great falls without spending at least $50.

Back