• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gresch to Texas St

Jensen made a good call to depart. He knew he probably wasn't going to start. Whether he thought Sneed was better or not, the coaches did, and so did I (as tim went on). Now, Jensen has another year under his belt, and is back with Stitt. We'll see what he can do. I hope he does very well.

kemajic said:
ordigger said:
Three of the current Texas State qbs were 3 star rated high school qbs. Stitt needs to be careful because all 3 are also Texas homegrown players. He made mistakes here by not recruiting Montana enough, and I think Gresch just being handed the job - as an outsider - may not “play well” in San Marcos. Hopefully Stitt does not repeat the Rosey/Hauck error, and opens it up for all to have a chance - number 1 reps for all.
What Rosey/Hauck error?

The hypocracy on here is stunning. Nobody even knows what’s going to happen with the QB competition at Texas State and the Stitt/ Jensen haters are taking shots at them for him “being handed the job” when Hauck did that very thing with his hand picked QB, RB and his son.

To funny

Merkleman said:
kemajic said:
ordigger said:
Three of the current Texas State qbs were 3 star rated high school qbs. Stitt needs to be careful because all 3 are also Texas homegrown players. He made mistakes here by not recruiting Montana enough, and I think Gresch just being handed the job - as an outsider - may not “play well” in San Marcos. Hopefully Stitt does not repeat the Rosey/Hauck error, and opens it up for all to have a chance - number 1 reps for all.
What Rosey/Hauck error?

The hypocracy on here is stunning. Nobody even knows what’s going to happen with the QB competition at Texas State and the Stitt/ Jensen haters are taking shots at them for him “being handed the job” when Hauck did that very thing with his hand picked QB, RB and his son.

To funny

With Calhoun suspended, who would you have started at rb? Note that Calhoun eventually worked his way to starter, after the suspension and concussion.

Robbie Hauck had the second most tackles on the team, was about top 5 or 6 in the conference in tackles, was honorable mention all-conference, and was 7th in the award for frosh player of the year. He had a nice year. The safeties, including Hauck, seemed to rotate.

The coaches, the several players I talked to, and I thought Sneed was a better qb than Jensen.

Are you just concerned about the supposed "handed" part, or do you think the wrong players played?

ordigger said:
Texas St. was 3-9; maybe that stable of QB talent is a bit over-hyped, 330 yards/game total offense and 19 points/game are the stuff that get coaches fired. My guess is GJ likes his chances. The OC likes him.

Merkleman said:
kemajic said:
ordigger said:
What Rosey/Hauck error?

To funny
Nailed it. 100%

Seriously, why is it so difficult for some people to realize that GJ packed up his tent and went home. Instead of working on his game to prove he should be the starter, he started to pout and left. I don't care who Hauck gave number 1 reps to at the start, you have to keep working and fighting and GJ did the exact opposite and made the distance between himself and Sneed look like the Grand Canyon. As for what happens in San Marcos, I could care less.

grizindabox said:
Seriously, why is it so difficult for some people to realize that GJ packed up his tent and went home. Instead of working on his game to prove he should be the starter, he started to pout and left. I don't care who Hauck gave number 1 reps to at the start, you have to keep working and fighting and GJ did the exact opposite and made the distance between himself and Sneed look like the Grand Canyon. As for what happens in San Marcos, I could care less.

*couldn't :D :D

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

*couldn't :D :D

don't

I don't blame either side (Gresch or Hauck/Staff) for the departure. It is what it is. Players often leave programs when the coaches that recruited them are gone. Wish him the best moving forward, I'm going to put my energy into the kids on the Griz team, not those who have left-for whatever reason. Onwards and upwards, Go Griz!

Fahque said:
Everybody bashing him must have some big void in their lives. Wish the young man good luck and move on.

Yup. On bb board a lot of perseveration focused on a player who left last year. Guess the void is filled by endless and mindless athlete bashing. Kinda makes Griz board look silly.

kemajic said:
ordigger said:
Texas St. was 3-9; maybe that stable of QB talent is a bit over-hyped, 330 yards/game total offense and 19 points/game are the stuff that get coaches fired. My guess is GJ likes his chances. The OC likes him.
Exactamundo.

Here’s an interesting “take” on the Jensen addition from a site that seems to specialize in Texas Football … called “Dave Campbell’s Texas Football.”
https://www.texasfootball.com/artic...oordinator-bob-stitt?ref=article_preview_img

Some key excerpts:
Shehan Jeyarajah said:
Texas State adds prolific JUCO quarterback with ties to offensive coordinator Bob Stitt
Texas State made an underrated addition to its quarterback room ... Gresch Jensen …
Jensen will have two years of eligibility remaining at Texas State.

However, none of the three players managed to pull away consistently. Even Jones completed just 55.7 percent of his passes in 2018. Texas State hired Spavital – and by extension, Stitt – to completely revamp what was a disappointing offense in 2018. 

Jensen is a talented player who succeeded right away at Montana. That could give him a leg up on other players on the roster who might need more time to transition to an air raid, spread style of offense.
Texas State only has eight commits in the class of 2019 after firing head coach Everett Withers after three seasons. [My emphasis.]
FYI: T-State was indeed 3-9 in 2018. But they went 2-10 the previous two years. Those seven wins in three years included three not especially strong FCS teams and New Mexico State (they also lost twice to NMSU in those three years). Two of their FBS wins were against teams that were equally bad (2-10 and 3-9). Their only “good” win was against an okay Ohio University team (8-6 that year), and that took three overtimes.

Turning that around will be a huge uphill battle. The new coach better have a "mandate" to do pretty much anything he thinks is necessary.

PlayerRep said:
Merkleman said:
kemajic said:
ordigger said:
What Rosey/Hauck error?

To funny

With Calhoun suspended, who would you have started at rb? Note that Calhoun eventually worked his way to starter, after the suspension and concussion.

Robbie Hauck had the second most tackles on the team, was about top 5 or 6 in the conference in tackles, was honorable mention all-conference, and was 7th in the award for frosh player of the year. He had a nice year. The safeties, including Hauck, seemed to rotate.

The coaches, the several players I talked to, and I thought Sneed was a better qb than Jensen.

Are you just concerned about the supposed "handed" part, or do you think the wrong players played?

My point was “handed”. My argument all along was how it played out not who should have started. Jensen is better than Sneed in some areas and Sneed is better than Jensen in some. Hauck promised Sneed he I’d he signed he would run with the Ones. He kept his word.

Some people on here want to bash Jensen for Stitt bringing him in. Mean while Hauck recruited Sneed to UNLV and then Brought him to Montana and immediately put in first team. The guys that did start may very well have been the best choices. I can’t and won’t argue otherwise. What I will say is, we may never know. How much would a Freshman progress? Maybe he doesn’t.

I too have spoke to players. I have said before, Haick and Rosy told Jensen he was leaving he was the guy and maybe they went to far with the head games.

You have been around long enough to know that after Jensen left they would never admit anything else. Just like I guy who dated 10’s his entire life and marries a 5. Wife says am I the prettiest girl you ever dated? Sure honey it’s not even close.

it’s just sad that the pro Hauck anti Stitt crowd is bashing Jensen for literally the same exact situation as Sneed.

Jensen recruited by Montana, leaves and goes to Juco. Stitt gets a new job and brings Jensen in.

Sneed recruited by Hauck, leaves and goes to Juco. Hauck gets a new job and brings in Sneed.

Point being if Jensen’s a quitter so is Sneed.....the reality is nether are quitters and both are good football players trying to do what’s best for themselves.

Calhoun should have been 1st team from the minute Hauck got here. Even without the fight he wasn’t going to be with the ones. Hauck delayed it as long as he could when he saw the season slipping away.

Merkleman said:
PlayerRep said:
Merkleman said:
kemajic said:
What Rosey/Hauck error?

To funny

My point was “handed”. My argument all along was how it played out not who should have started. Jensen is better than Sneed in some areas and Sneed is better than Jensen in some. Hauck promised Sneed he I’d he signed he would run with the Ones. He kept his word.

Some people on here want to bash Jensen for Stitt bringing him in. Mean while Hauck recruited Sneed to UNLV and then Brought him to Montana and immediately put in first team. The guys that did start may very well have been the best choices. I can’t and won’t argue otherwise. What I will say is, we may never know. How much would a Freshman progress? Maybe he doesn’t.

I too have spoke to players. I have said before, Haick and Rosy told Jensen he was leaving he was the guy and maybe they went to far with the head games.

You have been around long enough to know that after Jensen left they would never admit anything else. Just like I guy who dated 10’s his entire life and marries a 5. Wife says am I the prettiest girl you ever dated? Sure honey it’s not even close.

it’s just sad that the pro Hauck anti Stitt crowd is bashing Jensen for literally the same exact situation as Sneed.

Jensen recruited by Montana, leaves and goes to Juco. Stitt gets a new job and brings Jensen in.

Sneed recruited by Hauck, leaves and goes to Juco. Hauck gets a new job and brings in Sneed.

Point being if Jensen’s a quitter so is Sneed.....the reality is nether are quitters and both are good football players trying to do what’s best for themselves.

Calhoun should have been 1st team from the minute Hauck got here. Even without the fight he wasn’t going to be with the ones. Hauck delayed it as long as he could when he saw the season slipping away.

I can definitely attest that this does not work in reverse. She doesn't even have to ask.

grizindabox said:

And yet that’s why Sneed is even here in the first place, he “packed up his tent and went home”.

CatzWillRise said:
grizindabox said:

And yet that’s why Sneed is even here in the first place, he “packed up his tent and went home”.

A little different in the Sneed case - they were going to move him to another position.

CDAGRIZ said:
Merkleman said:
PlayerRep said:
Merkleman said:

To funny

I can definitely attest that this does not work in reverse. She doesn't even have to ask.
Yep. The secret to life is to marry up :thumb:

CatzWillRise said:
grizindabox said:

No, Sneed didn't pack up and leave. He left UNLV because they wanted him to play a position other than QB. He made his announcement on Dec. 14, not after spring ball. Jensen left because he didn't like where it was sitting on the depth chart after spring ball.

"Had Sneed stayed, he probably would have been moved to a position other than quarterback, where he holds Arizona high school career records for passing yards (8,377) and touchdown passes (87)."

Back