• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Horrible News Out of Bozeman

PlayerRep said:
Griz2k said:
PlayerRep said:
What a bummer. I hope the Cats play extra hard at 2 today. I assume it will be an emotional game for the coach and team.

Agreed. That being said, Coach Fish is obviously a stronger man than I. Everyone grieves differently, but how in the heck do you coach a basketball game the day after your child's death? Can't imagine the pain he's going through. Perhaps his way of coping? Prayers for him and his family.

When we lost a young child, my wife and I just got up from the floor after the funeral and kept doing our normal life, while getting great support from family and friends. One day at a time. There didn't seem to be any reason not to do that, or to do little or nothing and dwell on it. We also had 4 other kids to deal with, and had a 5th a couple years later. The pain doesn't go away, but time does heal.

It’s so tough. I lost my older brother summer of 94. I believe I hiked hylite with some family friends the next day. I went to a movie the day after his funeral. You’re shocked and just do what you do.

Sorry to hear about your loss PR. Can’t imagine.

I lost a parent my senior year of high school and never missed a day of school. Five hours after the memorial service I suited up and played a basketball game. I didn’t know what else to do.

Everyone grieves in a different way...no way is easy and no way is wrong. You do what you need to do to In hopes that someday the pain will subside and allow you to adapt to your new normal.

While I’m quite certain I’ve not held up my end of the bargain with the big guy upstairs, my prayers certainly go out to Coach Fish and his family.

"I didn't protect my daughter. I didn't protect her. And I've got to live with that for a long time." Those are the saddest and most concerning words from Brian Fish - or from any parent for that matter. I pray that he finds peace...

Silvertip said:
"I didn't protect my daughter. I didn't protect her. And I've got to live with that for a long time." Those are the saddest and most concerning words from Brian Fish - or from any father for that matter. I pray that he finds peace...

Heartbreaking to hear him say that. Makes me sick.

Much bigger things than Cat Griz and I always appreciate how most seem to put the pettiness aside at times like this.

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:
Griz2k said:
PlayerRep said:
What a bummer. I hope the Cats play extra hard at 2 today. I assume it will be an emotional game for the coach and team.

Agreed. That being said, Coach Fish is obviously a stronger man than I. Everyone grieves differently, but how in the heck do you coach a basketball game the day after your child's death? Can't imagine the pain he's going through. Perhaps his way of coping? Prayers for him and his family.

When we lost a young child, my wife and I just got up from the floor after the funeral and kept doing our normal life, while getting great support from family and friends. One day at a time. There didn't seem to be any reason not to do that, or to do little or nothing and dwell on it. We also had 4 other kids to deal with, and had a 5th a couple years later. The pain doesn't go away, but time does heal.

It’s so tough. I lost my older brother summer of 94. I believe I hiked hylite with some family friends the next day. I went to a movie the day after his funeral. You’re shocked and just do what you do.

Sorry to hear about your loss PR. Can’t imagine.

You know the drill. Bummer for your and your family. It's no fun, but continuing one's life and moving on seems to be the best path for most people. My dad died when I was 10, so I was already practiced. Ha. Looking around, which I had not done before our daughter died, I came to realize that there are a lot of people in similar situations. Kids have died. Kids are born with significant health problems. Kids develop health problems. Kids get into severe chemical dependency. Much of that had been happening around me, without me being very aware. For a decade or so, I found myself skimming the obits for ones involving kids, whether teenagers or young children or stillborn. I also walk about the cemetery area where our daughter is buried, to look at all the other kids' gravestones. Whenever we go to the cemetery, we clean up the gravestone area of our daughter, as well as lots of the gravestones near her. We often notice that someone has done the same thing for our daughter's gravestone.

I am sure the Fish gamily is hurting now, and willl for a long time. I can't think of anything worse than losing one's kid.

With all due respect to your own loss PR, "Bummer" hardly rises to the level of describing the loss of a child. Google's definition "a thing that is annoying or disappointing" seems to agree...

Silvertip said:
With all due respect to your own loss PR, "Bummer" hardly rises to the level of describing the loss of a child. Google's definition "a thing that is annoying or disappointing" seems to agree...

I know this is eGriz but I’m not sure this is the right place or time to quibble semantics.

Ursa Major said:
Silvertip said:

I know this is eGriz but I’m not sure this is the right place or time to quibble semantics.

Come back when you're sure...

Silvertip said:
Ursa Major said:
Silvertip said:

OK, I’m sure. If PR and others are willing to share painful and personal sentimental stories on here to offer support to others, you should have enough respect not to criticize their choice of words.

Silvertip said:

Perhaps you should learn to research better.

"A depressing person, thing, or event." Note the word "depressing".

"Slang - One that depresses, frustrates, or disappoints." Note the word "depresses".

"Expression of sadness or dismay." Note the word sadness.

But why don't you give me some better words to use. I will consider them, or I will pick your choices apart. I think you are probably too old to have known what bummer meant to the generation of the early 70's.

Our beautiful little girl would be almost 25 now. It's still pretty sad in our household on her birthday and her death day every year. Coach Fish and his wife will survive and be fine, but they will never be the same.

Ursa Major said:
Silvertip said:
Ursa Major said:
Silvertip said:

OK, I’m sure. If PR and others are willing to share painful and personal sentimental stories on here to offer support to others, you should have enough respect not to criticize their choice of words.

Thx, Ursa.

PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
Silvertip said:
Ursa Major said:

Thx, Ursa.

Thank you and everyone else who shared their personal stories. :thumb:

PR - as a father who lost my 24 year old son to suicide in July, bummer works for me. Sucks is fine also. Really F'd up probably says it best. Thanks for sharing your story, it helps.

Grizbeer said:
PR - as a father who lost my 24 year old son to suicide in July, bummer works for me. Sucks is fine also. Really F'd up probably says it best. Thanks for sharing your story, it helps.

Sorry to hear that. Yup, bummer and sucks beyond belief. I can't imagine losing a 24 year old kid. It was hard enough losing a young child. I think I'd die if I lost my now 22 or 29 year olds. I am fine, but I don't think my battery related to losing a child has recharged enough to lose another one. You of all people would understand what the Fish family is going through now.

Thank you, yes it's horrible. I don't really have and advice to offer anyone else dealing with this. I don't know (or need to know) the circumstances of the Fish families loss, but yes I am completely on the same wave as his stated feelings of loss and guilt, and totally understand why he coached on Saturday night. My son died on Thursday and as a family we decided to run (walk) the half marathon we had been planning all year. It was therapeutic to do something you had planned, just to feel like life could still go on.
His memorial service was on a Thursday and I went back to work the following Monday. It was (is still) incredibly difficult to get through the day, and the quality of my work was not good, but I do think it helps to push towards living life again.

Grizbeer said:
Thank you, yes it's horrible. I don't really have and advice to offer anyone else dealing with this. I don't know (or need to know) the circumstances of the Fish families loss, but yes I am completely on the same wave as his stated feelings of loss and guilt, and totally understand why he coached on Saturday night. My son died on Thursday and as a family we decided to run (walk) the half marathon we had been planning all year. It was therapeutic to do something you had planned, just to feel like life could still go on.
His memorial service was on a Thursday and I went back to work the following Monday. It was (is still) incredibly difficult to get through the day, and the quality of my work was not good, but I do think it helps to push towards living life again.
Bless you. As someone whose family has experienced several suicides, I too recognize the necessity of going on with the "ordinary." If you can get through one day, you can probably make it through the next one.

As with other setbacks in life, I think you get up off the floor with the help of family and friends, and then it's one step at a time, and one day at time. Things get better with time, especially as the years go by. But, it's never the same, and the pain and disappointment never go away. The birth and death days, and other reminders, are particularly tough. Our loss was, of course, very tough for my wife and me, but it remains tougher for my wife than for me, even over 24 years later. And my "joke" with my 22 year old son is that he's the luckiest person in the world that his sister Kelly died, as we weren't planning on having another kid after his sister.

Back