• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Idahoooooooooooo

Samuelson’s shooting helps Griz outlast Vandals
https://skylinesportsmt.com/samuelsons-shooting-helps-griz-outlast-vandals/

Great to win when you don’t play your best
basketball. Clutch FTs at the end. 1,000 home court wins, and a game and half lead in the bsc.

All in all, a damn fine day.

Terrific W. Love LOVE LOVE the way this team defends. They absolutely don't quit. They make getting open shots difficult.

I really am feeling for Vazquez, he took terrific shots, and looked more confident against Idaho. Unfortunately, the shots just aren't falling for him. For the most part, his misses were a matter of bad bounces. The positives, he was looking to shoot. It is a matter of time, before his shots start falling. I hope, sooner than later . Another positive, Vazquez contributed a lot in assists and rebounds. That's what you want to see players do, when they aren't contributing as much in the scoring column. Great job by Vazquez, in that regard.

When Owens went to the line for the final FT's, I told my brother Owens will hit both his FT's. Sure enough, he did. I really do have faith in him. As for rest of his game, he's going to be a handful, when he matures to be a consistent threat. I hope, he puts a good 20 lbs of muscle. That would allow him to be more of an inside threat and paint presence, at both ends.

Samuelson's final basket was as perfectly of an executed play as a team can execute. Everyone thought, it would be Pridgett clearing out, going to the hole, and finishing at the rim, or getting fouled. Sure enough, that is exactly what the GRIZ did, but with a beautiful and intelligent twist. All night, Samuelson had been hitting from deep, created by teammates kicking it out to him, and a Vandal defender rushing to get out to him. That also happened again, Samuelson knew his defender would overplay that. Instead of staying at the 3 pt line, Samuelson, trailed right behind Pridgett for an easy dump off and easy lay in. Right before that, I told my brother a few times, Samuelson is going to have an open layin eventually, the way the Vandal defenders were hurrying to get to him. So glad, that DeCuire waited to call that play in the closing seconds. That final FG was an example of attention to detail and execution. For the GRIZ to have the patience to wait to pull that off, was even more amazing. That play was there the whole 2nd half. Feel free to watch the game on demand. You will see how much Samuelson's defender was consistently over pursuing. I'm surprised that Samuelson didn't just pump fake and create contact, at least one time.

As for Idaho, they are so close to being a very good team. They made different critical mistakes in the closing seconds in their games against EWU and Montana. Against EWU, they turned over the ball, with a boneheaded stupid pass, leading to EWU's final 2 FT's, to seal the game. Against the GRIZ, they had opportunities to foul 2 other GRIZ players, before fouling Manuel. Manuel is the last GRIZ you want to send to the line with the game on the line. They also would have had another 3 to 5 seconds to use, if they had fouled any of the 1st 2 GRIZ to touch the ball at their end of the court.

Attention to detail in the closing minute of that game, was the difference in the game. The Pridgett to Samuelson play and Idaho not fouling any other GRIZ, other than Manuel were the key series of plays in this game. The GRIZ executed in detail, Idaho didn't. That attention to detail was a 4 point swing for the GRIZ.

Great job, GRIZ!!!

mtgrizrule said:
I really am feeling for Vazquez, he took terrific shots, and looked more confident against Idaho. Unfortunately, the shots just aren't falling for him. For the most part, his misses were a matter of bad bounces. The positives, he was looking to shoot. It is a matter of time, before his shots start falling. I hope, sooner than later . Another positive, Vazquez contributed a lot in assists and rebounds. That's what you want to see players do, when they aren't contributing as much in the scoring column. Great job by Vazquez, in that regard.

I agree with your analysis. Vazquez actually has a good looking jump shot, but for some reason they arent falling. I'm not worried about it though, I know it will come with time. Also like you said, he does a great job at contributing to this team in other ways than simply scoring. To go with his assists and rebounds he plays solid defense and actually has a bit of a knack for blocking shots.

A month ago they easily could have dropped that contest. Even if it wasn't pretty they keep progressing and that's a very good thing.

Grizbballfan14 said:
mtgrizrule said:

I agree with your analysis. Vazquez actually has a good looking jump shot, but for some reason they arent falling. I'm not worried about it though, I know it will come with time. Also like you said, he does a great job at contributing to this team in other ways than simply scoring. To go with his assists and rebounds he plays solid defense and actually has a bit of a knack for blocking shots.
Come on folks give the kid a break - He had a dislocated shoulder - I'm assuming that would have and affect on his shot. Give him time to get his swagger back!

Dillon said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
mtgrizrule said:

Come on folks give the kid a break - He had a dislocated shoulder - I'm assuming that would have and affect on his shot. Give him time to get his swagger back!

I think we were both attempting to provide a positive spin on his performance. That's also definitely a possibility, but his shooting percentage wasnt great pre-injury either. He's a great player and is actually the Freshman I was most excited about in this class.

We were both just saying that he is still playing well even though the shots arent falling.

Grizbballfan14 said:
Dillon said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
mtgrizrule said:

I think we were both attempting to provide a positive spin on his performance. That's also definitely a possibility, but his shooting percentage wasnt great pre-injury either. He's a great player and is actually the Freshman I was most excited about in this class.

We were both just saying that he is still playing well even though the shots arent falling.

I was also hoping his shot would come around by now. A lot of pressure on him at the point as a freshman and he is cutting down on the TOs besides grabbing boards. He's probably overthinking things with his shot instead of just letting it go, he does have a nice stroke. He'll break out I'm sure and it will make the team that much better. Patience is still appropriate with regard to the kids, easy to forget how young they are.

Hoops watcher said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
Dillon said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

I was also hoping his shot would come around by now. A lot of pressure on him at the point as a freshman and he is cutting down on the TOs besides grabbing boards. He's probably overthinking things with his shot instead of just letting it go, he does have a nice stroke. He'll break out I'm sure and it will make the team that much better. Patience is still appropriate with regard to the kids, easy to forget how young they are.

like playing high school ball this time last year....like Owens and CH....hard to believe

I feel like my post is being misunderstood. I meant it as a purely complimentary statement. I apologize if it comes across as in any way critical, that was not my intent.

Grizbballfan14 said:
I feel like my post is being misunderstood. I meant it as a purely complimentary statement. I apologize if it comes across as in any way critical, that was not my intent.

I didn't take it that way at all and don't know why anyone would. Lots of posters here that pay attention and are pretty knowledgeable about hoops. I don't see people disparage the players at all, just speculating about their game, strengths and aspects we'd like to see them get better at. I'm having a lot of fun watching a "rebuilding" team grow and succeed so far. I would have been more than happy in October if you had said the Griz would be a one loss team with 40% of the conference slate in the books. I enjoy reading different takes from the fans here and feel they almost all knowledgeable and passionate about the Griz. My :twocents:

When the game was coming down to the wire, TDC was doing offense-for-defense subs on change of possessions with Vazquez for Falls and vice-versa. Super savvy; wouldn’t mind seeing it more often.

Latest posts

Back