• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is it Just Me??

oldrunner said:
Second, if it was a money issue, why did you sign all of the extra players?

Not even sure what this means. Schools are still limited to the same number of scholarships, which mean no additional money.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
Most BSC schools are cramming 3500 people into 20,000 capacity stadiums anyways....the only place it’s an issue is Missoula and Bozeman. They’ve managed to do it in the NFL and every other level of college, not sure why we can’t limit attendance, spread them out and get on with it.

Not sure that is accurate.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

Sure looks true to me...

grizindabox said:
ilovethecats said:
Me too. And fans will be going to playoff games too. Not sure why we’re still making this more difficult than it needs to be?

Not all playoff games.

Nope, because all situations aren’t equal. Some places should take more precautions than others. There is no reason whatsoever that UM and MSU shouldn’t have fans. It’s just getting silly.

oldrunner said:
First off, Travel expenses are not as high as you think, if you bus it and sleep in the bus on the way to and from.

Third, play your guys or don't, but don't blame it on money or anything else.
Ridiculous statements. You want to bus to Flagstaff (1042 miles each way), then play the game? Then to Cheney, any time for classes? You want players to ride and sleep on a bus then get out and play the game? That's not putting the players in position for the best chance of success. With that concern for the players, how do you think that will affect future recruiting? You are showing no savvy as to how to compete in DI college football.

Sign extra players? Scholarships were not expanded; a high percentage of the new recruits are in-state preferred walk-ons, since the existing scholarships have to be carried another year.

It IS the money; the covid requirements for players and fans are very expensive. It is a big money loser without substantial fans in the seats. Try to catch up and not sound so silly.

oldrunner said:
First off, Travel expenses are not as high as you think, if you bus it and sleep in the bus on the way to and from.

Not sure who this joker is. Obviously a fan from another big sky team. However, nothing here is accurate.

SaskGriz said:
grizpack said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like there is no real chance the Griz play football this spring? I just can't see how our athletic department can possibly make it work. No fans = Huge loss. No real TV money. Travel to each game is $100K loss (conservatively, my estimate). Carrying 2 Freshman (or Senior) classes on scholarship. Game day expenses (with no fans). Testing expenses.
Can't justify athletes getting vaccinations before truly needy folks.

Sorry. Just think it is better to pull the plug and prepare for next year. And I think it sucks for all the players. Just no easy answer.

P.S. Talked to an EWU booster this weekend. He echoed the same thoughts. And they are in much worse shape than we are.

My takeaway is that Covid isolation has forced Grizpack to have to talk to an Eastern Washington fan. That's the real concern here.

Wow. I just got a reality check... Thanks Sask.

P.S. For anyone thinking the Missoula County Health Department will work with the University to allow fans in the stands, think again. I have had to "attempt" to work on a couple of other projects that were outdoors, and allowed for a lot of distancing. Just got a big "F You" from the Health Department. Wait, I take that back. They wouldn't even meet with us to discuss it. Just a hard no. Missoula County will be the last one to allow anything like that. (Remember, the high schools had to fight like hell to get 2 parents per player to be able to attend. The power is intoxicating.

kemajic said:
oldrunner said:

Ridiculous statements. You want to bus to Flagstaff (1042 miles each way), then play the game? Then to Cheney, any time for classes? You want players to ride and sleep on a bus then get out and play the game? That's not putting the players in position for the best chance of success. With that concern for the players, how do you think that will affect future recruiting? You are showing no savvy as to how to compete in DI college football.

Sign extra players? Scholarships were not expanded; a high percentage of the new recruits are in-state preferred walk-ons, since the existing scholarships have to be carried another year.

It IS the money; the covid requirements for players and fans are very expensive. It is a big money loser without substantial fans in the seats. Try to catch up and not sound so silly.
For 2021/2022 your seniors will not count against your total grants available. Therefore, if you have the money, you could have another 20 players on scholarship for that year in football. So, how many did you sign? That will tell you how much 'extra' money you have, beyond all other expenses. If you are planning to roster another 20 players, you must have an extra $300K to $400K in the budget. I don't think travel is the issue here.

oldrunner said:
kemajic said:

For 2021/2022 your seniors will not count against your total grants available. Therefore, if you have the money, you could have another 20 players on scholarship for that year in football. So, how many did you sign? That will tell you how much 'extra' money you have, beyond all other expenses. If you are planning to roster another 20 players, you must have an extra $300K to $400K in the budget. I don't think travel is the issue here.
The University was not in the position to support any more than the 63 total scholarships, so very few were available for this recruiting season, hence the focus on in-state walk-ons. That is a money issue. The spring schedule will incur significant expense from covid protocols (even during practices), stadium operations and travel that have to be at least offset by revenue, which means there must be butts in the seats. All are money issues.

grizpack said:
SaskGriz said:
My takeaway is that Covid isolation has forced Grizpack to have to talk to an Eastern Washington fan. That's the real concern here.

Wow. I just got a reality check... Thanks Sask.

P.S. For anyone thinking the Missoula County Health Department will work with the University to allow fans in the stands, think again. I have had to "attempt" to work on a couple of other projects that were outdoors, and allowed for a lot of distancing. Just got a big "F You" from the Health Department. Wait, I take that back. They wouldn't even meet with us to discuss it. Just a hard no. Missoula County will be the last one to allow anything like that. (Remember, the high schools had to fight like hell to get 2 parents per player to be able to attend. The power is intoxicating.

You are talking to the wrong people. Nothing the Health Department can do if the County Attorney refuses to prosecute citations or fine levies, or the Sheriff/Police refuse to enforce beyond providing education. Events like you describe are happening in other counties in Montana in spite of their Health Department wishes.

oldrunner said:
kemajic said:

Good lord, the stupidity is strong with this one. :roll: :roll:

grizpack said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like there is no real chance the Griz play football this spring? I just can't see how our athletic department can possibly make it work. No fans = Huge loss. No real TV money. Travel to each game is $100K loss (conservatively, my estimate). Carrying 2 Freshman (or Senior) classes on scholarship. Game day expenses (with no fans). Testing expenses.

Sorry. Just think it is better to pull the plug and prepare for next year. And I think it sucks for all the players. Just no easy answer.

P.S. Talked to an EWU booster this weekend. He echoed the same thoughts. And they are in much worse shape than we are.

Totally agree and have said so since last year. There's still a pandemic going on. The risks (and as you point out expenses) are not worth it.

GrizGuy said:
grizpack said:

Totally agree and have said so since last year. There's still a pandemic going on. The risks (and as you point out expenses) are not worth it.

What are the risks? What risk type problems did the schools that played in the fall have?

PlayerRep said:
GrizGuy said:

What are the risks? What risk type problems did the schools that played in the fall have?
Very good question ... that I've not heard an answer to.

The major risk -- one that actually happened (a lot) -- was that teams would practice hard all week, or more, and not know until near the end that they would even play. And often they didn't. That's also been true of the bowl games. Yes, people tested positive, and then contact tracing "quarantined" more players. But how many got seriously ill with COVID, or even exhibited symptoms? Apparently, not too many.

A Google search turned up one football-player fatality blamed on the virus ... Jamain Stephens, a defensive lineman at a D-II school in Pennsylvania. In the aftermath, however, it's been suggested that the specific cause of death (a blood clot) might not actually have been COVID-related. But even if it was, investigation also shows that his case basically had nothing to do with football. Of the many articles about the case, I could not find one that said any of his teammates or coaches tested positive. In fact, an SI article said,
At California University, Stephens served as a reserve defensive lineman. He lived in an off-campus apartment complex called Vulcan Village, but he was not recently involved in any football activities, says Karen Hjerpe, the athletic director at the school. The football team is holding no in-person events this semester and is conducting any meetings virtually, says head coach Gary Dunn. All football fields and the weight room are closed, Hjerpe says.

According to campus and family statements, Jamian was very popular, and liked to party. Reports said he attended a student party about a week before he first experienced symptoms. To single out the fact that he was an athlete seems irrelevant : He was student who, like many across the country, chose to ignore precautions against the virus. (The housing director at Jamain's college told reporters that many parties -- including at least one that Jamain attended -- exceeded their madnated 10-person rules.)

IdaGriz01 said:
PlayerRep said:

The major risk -- one that actually happened (a lot) -- was that teams would practice hard all week, or more, and not know until near the end that they would even play. And often they didn't. That's also been true of the bowl games. Yes, people tested positive, and then contact tracing "quarantined" more players. But how many got seriously ill with COVID, or even exhibited symptoms? Apparently, not too many.

A Google search turned up one football-player fatality blamed on the virus ... Jamain Stephens, a defensive lineman at a D-II school in Pennsylvania. In the aftermath, however, it's been suggested that the specific cause of death (a blood clot) might not actually have been COVID-related. But even if it was, investigation also shows that his case basically had nothing to do with football. Of the many articles about the case, I could not find one that said any of his teammates or coaches tested positive. In fact, an SI article said,
At California University, Stephens served as a reserve defensive lineman. He lived in an off-campus apartment complex called Vulcan Village, but he was not recently involved in any football activities, says Karen Hjerpe, the athletic director at the school. The football team is holding no in-person events this semester and is conducting any meetings virtually, says head coach Gary Dunn. All football fields and the weight room are closed, Hjerpe says.

According to campus and family statements, Jamian was very popular, and liked to party. Reports said he attended a student party about a week before he first experienced symptoms. To single out the fact that he was an athlete seems irrelevant : He was student who, like many across the country, chose to ignore precautions against the virus. (The housing director at Jamain's college told reporters that many parties -- including at least one that Jamain attended -- exceeded their madnated 10-person rules.)

If I have to spell out the risks involved in people gathering in groups during a pandemic... Come on. Don't be ridiculous, fellas. You're either for protecting the health of the players, coaches and anyone who comes into contact with them or you're not. If you think that it's ok because so far nobody got "seriously ill," then I would ask you to look at how many people have died and tell me that you will be just fine with it if even ONE Griz player, coach, staff member or their family members die because one player got exposed. I'm not sorry to say: I don't think a football season is worth that risk.

GrizGuy said:
IdaGriz01 said:

If I have to spell out the risks involved in people gathering in groups during a pandemic... Come on. Don't be ridiculous, fellas. You're either for protecting the health of the players, coaches and anyone who comes into contact with them or you're not. If you think that it's ok because so far nobody got "seriously ill," then I would ask you to look at how many people have died and tell me that you will be just fine with it if even ONE Griz player, coach, staff member or their family members die because one player got exposed. I'm not sorry to say: I don't think a football season is worth that risk.

In my view, it's not just identifying the risks; it's factoring in the likelihood of the risk. Not much likelihood, it seems to me. There is a lot of data on the season so far. Same with high school and NFL football and sports.

If the standard is or should be "if even ONE Griz player, coach, staff member or their family members die", then there would be no sports or hardly anything else. People die driving to and from games and practices. People die walking up stairs in stadiums. People die from drinking or drunk drivers. Some players die of head injuries, get bad concussions, have paralyzing injuries, etc. Some people die from falling down stairs or over railings. People used to die from goalposts being pulled down on their heads. Any risk analysis includes factoring in the chances of the risk occurring.

I assume you wouldn't apply your "if one person dies" to attending college, high school, K-12, or to press coverage (whether driving to and from work and assignments or going overseas to cover world affairs).

Back