• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is it Just Me??

PlayerRep said:
GrizGuy said:
If I have to spell out the risks involved in people gathering in groups during a pandemic... Come on. Don't be ridiculous, fellas. You're either for protecting the health of the players, coaches and anyone who comes into contact with them or you're not. If you think that it's ok because so far nobody got "seriously ill," then I would ask you to look at how many people have died and tell me that you will be just fine with it if even ONE Griz player, coach, staff member or their family members die because one player got exposed. I'm not sorry to say: I don't think a football season is worth that risk.

In my view, it's not just identifying the risks; it's factoring in the likelihood of the risk. Not much likelihood, it seems to me. There is a lot of data on the season so far. Same with high school and NFL football and sports.

If the standard is or should be "if even ONE Griz player, coach, staff member or their family members die", then there would be no sports or hardly anything else. People die driving to and from games and practices. People die walking up stairs in stadiums. People die from drinking or drunk drivers. Some players die of head injuries, get bad concussions, have paralyzing injuries, etc. Some people die from falling down stairs or over railings. People used to die from goalposts being pulled down on their heads. Any risk analysis includes factoring in the chances of the risk occurring.

I assume you wouldn't apply your "if one person dies" to attending college, high school, K-12, or to press coverage (whether driving to and from work and assignments or going overseas to cover world affairs).

Ban all stairs immediately!! :lol:

PlayerRep said:
GrizGuy said:
If I have to spell out the risks involved in people gathering in groups during a pandemic... Come on. Don't be ridiculous, fellas. You're either for protecting the health of the players, coaches and anyone who comes into contact with them or you're not. If you think that it's ok because so far nobody got "seriously ill," then I would ask you to look at how many people have died and tell me that you will be just fine with it if even ONE Griz player, coach, staff member or their family members die because one player got exposed. I'm not sorry to say: I don't think a football season is worth that risk.

In my view, it's not just identifying the risks; it's factoring in the likelihood of the risk. Not much likelihood, it seems to me. There is a lot of data on the season so far. Same with high school and NFL football and sports.

If the standard is or should be "if even ONE Griz player, coach, staff member or their family members die", then there would be no sports or hardly anything else. People die driving to and from games and practices. People die walking up stairs in stadiums. People die from drinking or drunk drivers. Some players die of head injuries, get bad concussions, have paralyzing injuries, etc. Some people die from falling down stairs or over railings. People used to die from goalposts being pulled down on their heads. Any risk analysis includes factoring in the chances of the risk occurring.

I assume you wouldn't apply your "if one person dies" to attending college, high school, K-12, or to press coverage (whether driving to and from work and assignments or going overseas to cover world affairs).

Ding. Ding. Ding!

Totally agree.

MikeyGriz said:
Thank you! I have been saying for years we need to defund stairs. It is unbelievable how much power the stairs-industrial complex has.

GrizGuy said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Very good question ... that I've not heard an answer to.

The major risk -- one that actually happened (a lot) -- was that teams would practice hard all week, or more, and not know until near the end that they would even play. And often they didn't. That's also been true of the bowl games. Yes, people tested positive, and then contact tracing "quarantined" more players. But how many got seriously ill with COVID, or even exhibited symptoms? Apparently, not too many.

A Google search turned up one football-player fatality blamed on the virus ... Jamain Stephens, a defensive lineman at a D-II school in Pennsylvania. In the aftermath, however, it's been suggested that the specific cause of death (a blood clot) might not actually have been COVID-related. But even if it was, investigation also shows that his case basically had nothing to do with football. Of the many articles about the case, I could not find one that said any of his teammates or coaches tested positive. In fact, an SI article said,

According to campus and family statements, Jamian was very popular, and liked to party. Reports said he attended a student party about a week before he first experienced symptoms. To single out the fact that he was an athlete seems irrelevant : He was student who, like many across the country, chose to ignore precautions against the virus. (The housing director at Jamain's college told reporters that many parties -- including at least one that Jamain attended -- exceeded their madnated 10-person rules.)

Yes. Every other team/program are just heartless bastards who don’t care about their players/families/coaches. :roll: :roll:

MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

This is one of the "many" advantages of living in southern Saskatchewan, it's so flat we have no need for stairs. Like children in the Outback of Australia many of our youth have never seen them and will weep in confusion when they are first encountered in other places.

AZGrizFan said:
GrizGuy said:

Yes. Every other team/program are just heartless bastards who don’t care about their players/families/coaches. :roll: :roll:
Yep. The Tennessee Titans are just HOPING people will die today. Why else would they take such drastic, risky measures of allowing fans?!

Heartless

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

Ding. Ding. Ding!

Totally agree.

Apples and oranges. Taking a job, you know the risks going in. I've had guns pointed at me just for doing my former job, so I fully appreciate what that means. Had death threats going back to my high school journalism days, one leading to an FBI investigation of a self-identified neo-Nazi group in California. So, yeah I know what that means, and I bet damn few people on this board have had that same experience unless they were in the services.

These are student athletes, not professionals (until we pay them, separate thread). All the people they're exposed to them would then be subject to the same risk. You're saying you're OK with it because you don't think it's a high risk. That's your take, that's fine, but don't @ me "I don't think it's very likely" as if that erases that people die from Covid who don't have to. I disagree with the cost/benefits of that.

That has ZERO to do with "banning stairs," although that's a very cute bumper sticker; I encourage y'all to sell it and use the money to buy tailgating beer. We all take risks every day. Damn few of them revolve around a game that doesn't have to be played. And damn few of those risks lead to 350K deaths in a year.

GrizGuy said:
ilovethecats said:
Ding. Ding. Ding!

Totally agree.

Apples and oranges. Taking a job, you know the risks going in. I've had guns pointed at me just for doing my former job, so I fully appreciate what that means. Had death threats going back to my high school journalism days, one leading to an FBI investigation of a self-identified neo-Nazi group in California. So, yeah I know what that means, and I bet damn few people on this board have had that same experience unless they were in the services.

These are student athletes, not professionals (until we pay them, separate thread). All the people they're exposed to them would then be subject to the same risk. You're saying you're OK with it because you don't think it's a high risk. That's your take, that's fine, but don't @ me "I don't think it's very likely" as if that erases that people die from Covid who don't have to. I disagree with the cost/benefits of that.

That has ZERO to do with "banning stairs," although that's a very cute bumper sticker; I encourage y'all to sell it and use the money to buy tailgating beer. We all take risks every day. Damn few of them revolve around a game that doesn't have to be played. And damn few of those risks lead to 350K deaths in a year.

LOTS more players have died or had long term implications from CTE. That doesn't stop the game or them from playing.

How many of those 350,000 are people younger than 24? I'm gonna give you this one..... it's .0024%

Grizbeer said:
MikeyGriz said:
Thank you! I have been saying for years we need to defund stairs. It is unbelievable how much power the stairs-industrial complex has.

Big Stair has been devastating to hard-working Americans. They convince everyone that there is a need to go up or down. Despicable. Only rivaled by Big Escalator.

CDAGRIZ said:
Grizbeer said:

Big Stair has been devastating to hard-working Americans. They convince everyone that there is a need to go up or down. Despicable. Only rivaled by Big Escalator.

Big Escalator can’t compete with Big Stair. Ever taken light rail to Husky Stadium in Seattle? Big Escalator finagled their way in, but Big Stair has the last laugh. That escalator mysteriously breaks down like every 4 minutes, but because the escalator isn’t officially stairs they won’t let you walk up or down. Then after a while of mass Humanity packets in and standing around a briefcase gets passed and the escalator starts moving again.

Big Stair has so much power they don’t even bother to hide it. More bold than bridgegate. And of course it is the common man who suffers.

Grizbeer said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Big Escalator can’t compete with Big Stair. Ever taken light rail to Husky Stadium in Seattle? Big Escalator finagled their way in, but Big Stair has the last laugh. That escalator mysteriously breaks down like every 4 minutes, but because the escalator isn’t officially stairs they won’t let you walk up or down. Then after a while of mass Humanity packets in and standing around a briefcase gets passed and the escalator starts moving again.

Big Stair has so much power they don’t even bother to hide it. More bold than bridgegate. And of course it is the common man who suffers.

:lol: About once a year, something on here will make me laugh enough out loud to piss off my wife. Then, I show it to her, and she doesn’t find it funny (chicks). You hold the early honor this year, my friend.

Back