• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jared Samuelson coming back!

Player is correct. I have know many Indian basketball players. The best players have a style of play unique to Native Americans. The best of all is Larry Pretty Weasel.

tourist said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
PC police out in full force... Don't put words in my mouth Tourist. I don't subscribe to that thought process, but if you don't understand that a large majority of D1 basketball players are African American, then I really don't know how to help you.

Also, as part Native myself, I got to agree with PR.

The words are yours, Sam, and you are the only one putting them in your mouth.

Nope. Words are yours dickweed. Sorry I stepped on your white supremacist pride.

AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
tourist said:
PlayerRep said:
Because everyone knows that most of the best basketball players in MT are Native American?

Why add that "qualifier," indeed, AZ?
From Wiki: "...a person...who believes that a particular race is superior to another..." What word is being defined?

PC police out in full force... Don't put words in my mouth Tourist. I don't subscribe to that thought process, but if you don't understand that a large majority of D1 basketball players are African American, then I really don't know how to help you.

Fully half of Virginia’s squad is white. 6/15 of Texas Tech’s team is white. 7/15 on Michigan State are white.

Now while it’s true that given blacks are about 13% of the population they are over represented, I don’t think it’s necessary to imply that, simply because Montana (the state) is overwhemingly white that somehow it doesn’t have the right gene pool to produce D-1 basketball players. And that’s what your post implied, whether it’s what you meant or not.

"Over represented?" that seem like a racist comment to me...

Sam A. Blitz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
tourist said:
Why add that "qualifier," indeed, AZ?
From Wiki: "...a person...who believes that a particular race is superior to another..." What word is being defined?

Fully half of Virginia’s squad is white. 6/15 of Texas Tech’s team is white. 7/15 on Michigan State are white.

Now while it’s true that given blacks are about 13% of the population they are over represented, I don’t think it’s necessary to imply that, simply because Montana (the state) is overwhemingly white that somehow it doesn’t have the right gene pool to produce D-1 basketball players. And that’s what your post implied, whether it’s what you meant or not.

13% of population...51% of college BB players = overrepresented relative to their % of population. There’s nothing racist about it....unless your brain is inherently racist...

AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

13% of population...51% of college BB players = overrepresented relative to their % of population. There’s nothing racist about it....unless your brain is inherently racist...

Read to me that you are implying that there are too many African American players. Hate to insinuate though...

AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

So there is nothing racial about your comment stating facts that there is a higher percentage of African American players in relation to the percentage of African Americans in the general population, but you find issue with me citing that Montana has a low percentage of African Americans. Seems very hypocritical to me...

Stop bickering over a misunderstanding. It ruins a thread!

The only way the GRIZ and or Cats can be competitive with the majority being instate talent is if coaches had the grace period of decade plus to assist as many high school programs as possible to cultivate talent from elementary school on.

Even then, it would take money and resources to have all the talent play travel ball on a regional and national level. Also, finding that kind of coaching talent from elementary through high school would be a huge challenge. In my opinion, the lack of quality coaches in public schools is the biggest challenge. Too few schools and parents are willing to let coaches truly run and build a program as coaches feel fit. Clueless parents, organizations, and staff are too involved, and often detrimental to keeping talented coaches. I salute the schools that trust their coaches and put them 1st!

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
For a state like Montana, with only a million predominately white population, it's simply not logical to expect a D1 basketball program to have more than a couple in-state scholarship players on the roster.

Why add that qualifier? :? :?

Because everyone knows that most of the best basketball players in MT are Native American?

Really? Some of us didn't know that. Any playing at UM or MSU....or any other D1 school? How about Frontier Conference?

Brandon The Boy, from Box Elder, was Rocky's point guard this year. Good article in the Tribune about three month ago.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
For a state like Montana, with only a million predominately white population, it's simply not logical to expect a D1 basketball program to have more than a couple in-state scholarship players on the roster.

Really? Some of us didn't know that. Any playing at UM or MSU....or any other D1 school? How about Frontier Conference?

One reason would be varying degrees of prejudice. Want to debate this subject with me?

Who's the current best former MT high school mens's player at the college level now? Perhaps one going to the ACC next year?

Doesn't the Camel girl for the LG count? Would have thought someone like you who says you once played for the UM frosh, and probably knows JR Camel, would be able to remember that. Is your prejudice showing through?

Take a look at the many Native American greats in the MT Indian Athletic Hall of Fame, and then compare those greats to the many non-Indian greats. And then compare on their percentages of the population. http://montanaindianathletichof.org/ Doesn't look like it's been updated for 2018 inductees. Camel, Pretty Weasel, Old Bull, Takes Enemy, Lambert (all time scoring leader in MT), Morales, the many LG players.

Also, consider that my initial comment was intended mostly as a joke.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

One reason would be varying degrees of prejudice. Want to debate this subject with me?

Who's the current best former MT high school mens's player at the college level now? Perhaps one going to the ACC next year?

Doesn't the Camel girl for the LG count? Would have thought someone like you who says you once played for the UM frosh, and probably knows JR Camel, would be able to remember that. Is your prejudice showing through?

Take a look at the many Native American greats in the MT Indian Athletic Hall of Fame, and then compare those greats to the many non-Indian greats. And then compare on their percentages of the population. http://montanaindianathletichof.org/ Doesn't look like it's been updated for 2018 inductees. Camel, Pretty Weasel, Old Bull, Takes Enemy, Lambert (all time scoring leader in MT), Morales, the many LG players.

Also, consider that my initial comment was intended mostly as a joke.

Lots of great ones out there. And did take your initial comment somewhat in jest. "Most of the best" didn't seem to mention per capita. In just looking at UM and MSU men's rosters no Native Americans and a few other Montanans. In looking at Frontier rosters, lots of Montanans but not many Native Americans. Will be interesting to see if the "mixed" Montanan makes it at Florida State. Hasn't done it yet.

Mostly? Was that sarcasm? Sarcasm on a written site, such as this, has to be dripping wet to be noted as such. You didn't try very hard at making the humorous side of your post evident. No 'Ha!' or anything to point to humor, as you frequently post. You are too well versed in the written word to have inadvertently left off the necessary verbiage to show your 'intent.'
If anyone on eGriz knows the Native content of the Frontier Conference, it would be you, PR. I came up with Brandon The Boy. Who are the others?

tourist said:
Mostly? Was that sarcasm? Sarcasm on a written site, such as this, has to be dripping wet to be noted as such. You didn't try very hard at making the humorous side of your post evident. No 'Ha!' or anything to point to humor, as you frequently post. You are too well versed in the written word to have inadvertently left off the necessary verbiage to show your 'intent.'
If anyone on eGriz knows the Native content of the Frontier Conference, it would be you, PR. I came up with Brandon The Boy. Who are the others?

My view is that any regular egriz poster that didn't understand that my post might not have been fully serious is a total idiot. Even Mouse got it. Jokes and sarcasm are often written.

"[RayQuan]was a two-year contributor for the Cardinals, helping to lead them to a 31-2 season and to the NWAC Championship this past season. In that Championship, Evans scored 32 points to earn the tournament MVP for the second consecutive year. He also had six assists and a pair of steals.

On the season, he earned Northwest Athletic Conference male basketball athlete of the year honors this past season, after averaging 18.2 points per game. He was second in the league with 79 steals and 162 assists. He also averaged 7.4 rebounds per game.

FSU was looking to add another talented guard to fill the void left by senior David Nichols exhausting his eligibility."

I don't follow the Frontier Conference. Great for everyone who plays there, but it's not on my radar. In hoops, I am more of a D-I guy. I only know Samuelson because he played for the Griz. I liked how he played. Just wish he had been a couple inches taller and a bit more athletic when he played for UM, or that his head and desire could be duplicated on another bigger and more athletic player. Glad he's coming back. Great for him.

How many of the current top MT high school kids, men and women, who played college basketball last season, are white? Not Evans. Not Manuel.

Can't recall the name of the MT NA woman who came with her team to play the LG this past season. She's a very good player.

What a fabulous basketball legacy we Montanans have, thanks to Native American players. I never got to see Larry Pretty Weasel or Elvis Old Bull, but I did see George Yelloweyes from the Industrial School at the Class C tournament in Helena. I suppose our memories always exaggerate things, yet I remember him as an absolute deadeye from from long range. He was scoring 30 and 40 points at those tournaments before the three-point line came into existence. I'd have loved to see him and Steph Curry in a three-point contest.

PlayerRep said:
How many of the current top MT high school kids, men and women, who played college basketball last season, are white? Not Evans. Not Manuel.

Tres Tinkle

PlayerRep said:

Can't recall the name of the MT NA woman who came with her team to play the LG this past season. She's a very good player.

If anyone......you should look up names of good former MT NA women players. JaRae Briggs from Plenty Coups HS played for Nevada vs. Lady Griz. last year. Looks like she led team in many stats. Lady Griz had one little used NA player on their roster. MSU men and women none to my knowledge. One former NA men's HS player started in the Frontier for Rocky...maybe one or two women not sure.

Evans hasn't played a lick of D1 ball yet.

So..... at least 3 former MT NA HS men and women playing college ball at this point.

Sam A. Blitz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
AZGrizFan said:

So there is nothing racial about your comment stating facts that there is a higher percentage of African American players in relation to the percentage of African Americans in the general population, but you find issue with me citing that Montana has a low percentage of African Americans. Seems very hypocritical to me...

Only you know in your heart what was meant by your comment. I'll leave it at that and drop it.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

If anyone......you should look up names of good former MT NA women players. JaRae Briggs from Plenty Coups HS played for Nevada vs. Lady Griz. last year. Looks like she led team in many stats. Lady Griz had one little used NA player on their roster. MSU men and women none to my knowledge. One former NA men's HS player started in the Frontier for Rocky...maybe one or two women not sure.

Evans hasn't played a lick of D1 ball yet.

So..... at least 3 former MT NA HS men and women playing college ball at this point.

Yes, Briggs. Again, who are the best MT women who played college basketball last season? Any color.

Back