• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kent Baer’s Defense

AZGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
I’m going to take this opportunity to do what I said I’d do a couple years ago when Ken Baer was hired. The past two years defensive performances have proven me wrong and I am officially a fan. I rewatched the Griz/Scat game yesterday (not having had the pleasure, since I was AT the game) and it was just unreal to watch the speed of the D and how they flew to the ball.

To Kent, I apologize. You WERE what this team needed, and your defense, while different, is not a “gimmick”. You proved to me that with the right guys in place, it works and it works well. Looking forward to this year’s defensive performance!

Crow-plate.jpg

Let’s hope I’m similarly wrong about the O-line’s performance this year. :lol: :lol:

Perhaps I spoke too soon? :shock: :shock:

The way I see it, EVERY defense has its weaknesses but ALL defenses can get worn out. I think the Griz D was on the field for 40 minutes today. Hard to ask them to stay fresh for that long. Also doesn’t help giving up possessions on turnovers and on side kicks. I try not to blame things on the refs too much but #78 was holding the entire game and didn’t get called once.

The problem today was not the D. You can't ask anybody to hold out that long. 40-20 TOP? That's not a football game, that's Leningrad in '42

TOP was not the issue. Idaho runs the play clock down to 3-4 seconds EVERY.SINGLE.PLAY. It wasn’t some frenetic pace that kept the D gassed and on it’s heels. They ran just 72 plays. But they had clock-eating drives of 12, 8, 7, 8, 8 and 10 plays. Ironically their two second half TD’s came on a 1 play, 43 yards drive and a 3 play, TWO yard drive.

Yes, the issue was FIELD POSITION. In the 2nd half alone, Idaho had FIVE drives that started beyond their 40, including THREE that started inside Griz territory (including the one at the two yard line). In comparison, Montana had three drives that started beyond their own 40 — Flowers’ KO return and Bergen’s punt return (which were turned into a grand total of 3 points, BTW), and McConell’s INT down to the 15, which led to one of the two first half TD’s.

AZGrizFan said:
TOP was not the issue. Idaho runs the play clock down to 3-4 seconds EVERY.SINGLE.PLAY. It wasn’t some frenetic pace that kept the D gassed and on it’s heels. They ran just 72 plays. But they had clock-eating drives of 12, 8, 7, 8, 8 and 10 plays. Ironically their two second half TD’s came on a 1 play, 43 yards drive and a 3 play, TWO yard drive.

Yes, the issue was FIELD POSITION. In the 2nd half alone, Idaho had FIVE drives that started beyond their 40, including THREE that started inside Griz territory (including the one at the two yard line). In comparison, Montana had three drives that started beyond their own 40 — Flowers’ KO return and Bergen’s punt return (which were turned into a grand total of 3 points, BTW), and McConell’s INT down to the 15, which led to one of the two first half TD’s.
That's a good point about the number of plays vs TOP. You are still out there and having to be locked and loaded vs sitting in the shade and scooping the cheerleaders but yeah, you are right 72 plays isn't a ton. :clap:

SaskGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

That's a good point about the number of plays vs TOP. You are still out there and having to be locked and loaded vs sitting in the shade and scooping the cheerleaders but yeah, you are right 72 plays isn't a ton. :clap:

In contrast, OUR “ball control” offense ran a grand total of 56. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
SaskGriz said:

In contrast, OUR “ball control” offense ran a grand total of 56. :lol:
We demonstrated very little control of our balls.

Well I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating. This defense has given up, in successive games:

0, 7, 14, 16, 20, 30.

That is not a positive trend, and as the opponents get better, that number can be projected to go even higher. There’s probably ONE opponent left on the schedule that won’t score 30.

The question is: is OUR offense capable of scoring 35+ every game against the likes of Weber, Sac, and MSU?

I retract my retraction of the failures of Baer’s defensive scheme. Turns out it’s a LOT like a Stitt Defense…pads its stats against horrible teams, struggles against mediocre/average teams, and fails completely against above average or great teams.

The 3-3-5 needs to be relegated to the dustbin of history. Along with Baer.

Why do you call this Baer’s defense? It is not. He is the one tasked with running it PER Bobby Hauck. Spend some time with Baer away from the field and you will quickly see how true this is. This defense is faaaaaar from what he would like to do. And I can promise you there would be some personnel changes if he had full control.

I’d bet good money he’s done after this season. Unless Hauck changes the defense, would highly doubt it, it stays in it’s current form with no changes.

AZGrizFan said:
I retract my retraction of the failures of Baer’s defensive scheme. Turns out it’s a LOT like a Stitt Defense…pads its stats against horrible teams, struggles against mediocre/average teams, and fails completely against above average or great teams.

You swing whichever way the wind is blowing. Bad, oh good, oh bad.

I’m critical of this staff on many points but Kent Baer’s scheme is not the problem. It’s a good scheme. The problem is facing a power running team with QBs who ARE the run game, you have to adjust. By adjust I mean Get the 5-6 165 pound free safety playing 18 yards deep out of the game (no matter how many tackles he needs to set a record) and add another 220 pound linebacker to help contain the ends. Or, God forbid, another D Tackle. You can’t play the same defense in every situation. And I expect Baer knows that.

fanofzoo said:
The announcers said that "ndsu wanted to target robby as the weakness"

So not a scheme issue it is a Bobby and Robby issue. LOL

Let me look at the stats….LOL

I love it how we are still discussing the merits of our defense, after giving up 1000 rushing yards in TWO GAMES!

RoseyMustGo said:
I love it how we are still discussing the merits of our defense, after giving up 1000 rushing yards in TWO GAMES!

Defense was statistically worse than last year despite the hype. That is a head scratcher...

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

You swing whichever way the wind is blowing. Bad, oh good, oh bad.

Well there’s no more swinging on this one. It’s been proven out on the field. Worthless as tits on a boar hog, that defense is. Over 1,000 yards rushing against in 3 fucking games? Yeah, let’s pin our championship hopes on THAT.

Back