• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kris Brown

kemajic said:
mtgrizrule said:
Thank you. I actually miss, some egrizzers. :thumb:
Humphrey has plenty of "it" factor and demonstrated it in two complete games last year. When he demonstrates it again Saturday will you be man enough to acknowledge?

Howsabout the Idaho game? I mean, if we want to talk about his body of work, let's look at the ENTIRE sample size...Are you man enough to admit that we had to bring in an injured Sneed because Cam stunk up the place? We were all juuuuuuust about ready to crown him the heir apparent when he shits the bed. And BTW, yes, I WAS at that game.

Having to bring Sneed back early and before fully healthy possibly cost us a Weber victory in the playoffs later that year.

Diesel said:
mtgrizrule said:
Hence this in the original post. "Let's see how often Brown can give the team the "it" factor?"
As for sample size, on the opposite end of this. To me, "sample size" with Humphrey, shows he can force a few too many passes, and doesn't go through his progressions very well. It's safe to say, he needs to improve in those areas, based on his sample size. Just my opinion.

New EGriz rules: When posting in Brown thread or threads the terms "**it" factor and "Sample size" should not be used. Much appreciated...the "**it" stops here!!!

Have fun enforcing that rule. Personally, I'm on the Brown bandwagon already. Either way, the GRIZ appear to be just fine at qb, the next 4 years. Assuming they stay healthy.

1. Brown was 4-5 in first drive and 2-3 in his second drive, or 6-8. Threw 1 TD pass, and ran for 1 TD. Looked good. Most completions were to wide open receivers, including several on rollouts and/or scrambles. As an ex-db, I can say that it is hard to cover receivers on rollouts and scrambles (largely because the play goes on so long).

2. The score was 38-3 when Brown came in.

3. Brown played 7 minutes and 42 seconds, if I calculated correctly.

4. I don't agree that going through progressions result in wide open receivers. Progressions done properly eliminate covered receivers. The later part of the progression may or may result in a wide open receiver. Yes, progressions are meant to lead to finding open receivers.

5. Throwing on run to a wide open receiver when there is no big pressure on the qb, is not a hard throw. Not easy, but not hard. Threading a needle doing that is hard.

6. Brown is a decent or even good athlete for his size, but I think Humphrey is a better athlete and is faster. While Brown's decision/run for the TD was nice, he made a mistake by not going harder for the end zone (and I don't think he got over the goal line, nor did the announcers.

7. My friends and family in Bozeman, who go to games and who have had multiple kids play sports including football at Bozeman high, say that Brown was good, but, in their view, didn't stand out as being a great high school qb.

8. The weather had improved, and I thought the wind had died down, by the time Brown came in.

9. I listen closely to Grady Bennett's views on QB's.

10. I didn't see the "it" factor in Brown. Maybe I just missed it.

11. A parent who was at the game, told me that Brown didn't play enough to learn or determine much, and the coaches know a lot about the QB's than others. Let the players continue to compete. Both have considerable room for improvement.

12. Hauck likes competition and I"m glad there is competition at multiple positions. While I like Humphrey as the QB, I am fine with Brown beating him out (as that will show Brown has improved considerably).

I’ll be honest, if Hauck decides Humphrey is the guy, I’ll be on board. However, I saw what I was hoping to see last Saturday. Brown was athletic accurate and on point. Cam made some mistakes that make me uncomfortable. That being said, don’t get to see practice. I don’t see the meeting rooms. I have no doubt that Hauck will do what is right for the team. If that means Brown is the guy and we have the possibility of a 4 year starter I will be very excited. If Cam is the guy, I’ll be on board and hope he continues to improve and Brown has a chance to build for the next season.

Brown looked very good in what was mostly mop-up work (combination of 1s and 2s on D). He very well may be the next great Griz QB, but the jury is still out until he has to face Big Sky 1s on a regular basis.

This eventuality may be sooner rather than later if Cam doesn't learn how to get down when he runs. He's not built like Dalton Sneed, so a few shots that DS shrugged off may level him.

It’s too early to tell who will be the starter. We have to remember that what we see as fans is only a fraction of what coaches see since they watch the players every practice. Let’s see if Humphrey can be consistently good this week. I assume Brown will get more reps which will be interesting.

"“I think that both of those guys need to play more,” Montana coach Bobby Hauck said of his instant evaluation. “I think they’re good players, and the more they play, the better they’re going to get. I think we missed a few things, but that’s to be expected to a degree. We’d like it to be perfect, it wasn’t, but both Cam and Kris played really well.

"They had a new DC coming in, and we faced a lot of different looks, and we didn’t necessarily know for sure what we were going to get.
So, I think Cam did a great job of settling in once we just kind of got out there and started to see what they were actually giving us. So, it worked out great.”

“I just want to see them execute,” Hauck said of what he was looking for from his quarterbacks. “Whatever the play call is, execute it the best they can, get us in the right checks. In the run game, when it’s their turn to run it, get yards and throw the ball where it should be thrown based on coverage. So, it was solid.”

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-blows-out-central-washington-in-spring-season-opener-but-qb-battle-is-far-from/article_df284836-8b02-5426-a6d6-a47b3914df43.html#tracking-source=article-related-bottom

....great post...I really liked what I've seen in Brown...he seem comfortable and somewhat relax in the pocket...He
was trusting in the Oline for pocket protection and stepped right into it...Cam can get a little antsy and run out
of the pocket and yes make some great plays on the run but..QB 's that stay in the pocket seem to out last running QB's.
..... one good shot he's out..

... all in all its a great problem for the Griz...Brown warming up in the bull pen is not that bad... actually its encouraging!

PR, you are right, going through the progressions doesn't help receivers get open. The receivers were getting open, Kris Brown was seeing them. I am a Humphrey fan too, but he was not seeing the field as well as KB and missed seeing several wide open receivers. First game jitters I assume.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
Humphrey has plenty of "it" factor and demonstrated it in two complete games last year. When he demonstrates it again Saturday will you be man enough to acknowledge?

Howsabout the Idaho game? I mean, if we want to talk about his body of work, let's look at the ENTIRE sample size...Are you man enough to admit that we had to bring in an injured Sneed because Cam stunk up the place? We were all juuuuuuust about ready to crown him the heir apparent when he shits the bed. And BTW, yes, I WAS at that game.

Having to bring Sneed back early and before fully healthy possibly cost us a Weber victory in the playoffs later that year.
Montana 42; Idaho 17 (11/9)
Montana 35; Weber 16 (11/16)

Suggests we didn't HAVE to bring Sneed in early in the blowout game. Might have been by design. Equating Sneed's participation in the blowout win vs. Idaho to the loss to Weber on 12/13, 5 weeks later, is a real stretch. One of your best.

Sure, since you asked, let's look at Humphrey's total 2019 stats. Passing 63/104 (61%), 761 yards, 6 TDs vs. 2 picks, 110 yards rushing (60 net after sacks). 3-0 in games he started. Don't think you will find too many backup QBs doing their job better.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Montana 42; Idaho 17 (11/9)
Montana 35; Weber 16 (11/16)

Suggests we didn't HAVE to bring Sneed in early in the blowout game. Might have been by design. Equating Sneed's participation in the blowout win vs. Idaho to the loss to Weber on 12/13, 5 weeks later, is a real stretch. One of your best.

Sure, since you asked, let's look at Humphrey's total 2019 stats. Passing 63/104 (61%), 761 yards, 6 TDs vs. 2 picks, 110 yards rushing (60 net after sacks). 3-0 in games he started. Don't think you will find too many backup QBs doing their job better.

So you weren’t at the Idaho game? When we were down 10-0 in the first quarter and Cam had already thrown two picks? He was obviously rattled and wasn’t getting any better. Here’s a hint: Sure, it ENDED as a blowout, but It wasn’t a blowout until Sneed shrugged off the warmups and limped onto the field and brought the Griz roaring back. You want to give him credit for that win? Mmmm Kay. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Too early to tell for anyone to take a side like some are. I think everyone is making decent points. I think both looked pretty good considering the circumstances. I would like to see a game or two more before being convinced Humphrey isn’t the guy.

Diesel said:
mtgrizrule said:
Hence this in the original post. "Let's see how often Brown can give the team the "it" factor?"
As for sample size, on the opposite end of this. To me, "sample size" with Humphrey, shows he can force a few too many passes, and doesn't go through his progressions very well. It's safe to say, he needs to improve in those areas, based on his sample size. Just my opinion.

New EGriz rules: When posting in Brown thread or threads the terms "**it" factor and "Sample size" should not be used. Much appreciated...the "**it" stops here!!!

Is this an official rule or an unofficial rule going forward?

Dillon said:
Diesel said:

Is this an official rule or an unofficial rule going forward?

Gentleman's agreement only...so may not be applicable here.

mtgrizrule said:
I figured it would be great to have a thread for and about Kris Brown. After all, many comments are going to get lost in so many other various threads. I have a feeling, he is going to play a huge role over the next 4 years. Not sure yet, how soon that role will begin though.

With that said, the main reason I attended the GRIZ/CWU game was the hope to see Kris Brown play. Granted, just being back in WAGRIZ was terrific and much needed for me. Seeing Kris Brown, made the cold weather and lack of competition well worth freezing my ass off.

I know, it's too early in his career and 2021 to have a true hold of his potential. However, I LOVED what I saw, just not sure how much of the results were due to playing a lower division team. My initial impression, he's a player with a very high ceiling. How high, what kind of potential? I will go out on a long limb, he is capable of being an all time great GRIZ QB, in the TOP 5 discussion. With his arm strength and size, there could be next level interest.

What can we take from the CWU game, regarding Brown?
(1) He has a strong arm. Despite the wind, he made throwing the ball look effortless and easy.
(2) He knows what kind of pass to make when. He wasn't rifling every pass. Many of his passes were with terrific touch. Take note of his TD pass to White. He floated that pass perfectly, and made it easy for White to make that TD grab. Yet at other times, he didn't hesitate to put more mustard into tight windows. I can't recall 1 pass where he made the wrong type of throw to his intended targets.
(3) Did you notice, most his passes were made to what seemed like pretty open WR's, compared to Humphrey, why is that? He knew his progressions, focused on all options, and consistently made the right decisions.
(4) He has terrific footwork and more speed than we expected. Meaning, he keeps plays alive in the pocket with subtle foot movements in the pocket. He can also scramble, just enough to extend plays, while keeping his head up. His TD run was rather surprising.
(5) Defenses won't be able to focus on attacking or over loading one side of the field. His 1st pass was a roll out to his left, throwing against his body, and delivering a perfect pass. Not many qb's can make that kind of pass, let alone a RS Freshman QB. The QB's that can make that throw at that age are usually playing in a Power 5 program.
(6) He is tough, like Humphrey, he didn't shy away from contact and fought for extra yards.
(7) He protected the ball when he ran it, and didn't force his passes into coverage. I actually had peace of mind, watching him control the offense.
(8) He makes his teammates better. He accumulated most of his stats and results without the luxury of 1st teamers. I feel he earned the opportunity to see how well he does with a full 1st team.

With all that said, getting Brown key reps with 1st teamers, against better competition, will be key moving forward for the coaches, Brown, and the team. I won't be surprised to see Brown much earlier against PSU, regardless of how well Humphrey is playing. As a coach, there is no way, I could fight my curiosity of how much potential Brown has. His performance against CWU turned my head. I would absolutely commit a few series to Brown, in the 1st half, against PSU, then go from there.

I'm not slighting Humphrey at all. I like his experience, leadership, and toughness. The GRIZ are a conference contender with either at QB. However, I don't see Humphrey having the big "IT" factor. I see Brown as having the difficult to find "IT" factor. Some of you know exactly what I'm referring to. Others of you, will question that. Please don't ask to define it, I just can't. I just know "it" when I see "it". Let's see how often Brown can give the team the "it" factor?

I don't post much these days, for my own reasons. However, I am excited for the return of GRIZ football. Kris Brown has taken that excitement to a whole new level though. Here is to hoping and praying, Brown and the team will continue progress and impress.

Spot on assessment of Brown!

PlayerRep said:
1. Brown was 4-5 in first drive and 2-3 in his second drive, or 6-8. Threw 1 TD pass, and ran for 1 TD. Looked good. Most completions were to wide open receivers, including several on rollouts and/or scrambles. As an ex-db, I can say that it is hard to cover receivers on rollouts and scrambles (largely because the play goes on so long).

4. I don't agree that going through progressions result in wide open receivers. Progressions done properly eliminate covered receivers. The later part of the progression may or may result in a wide open receiver. Yes, progressions are meant to lead to finding open receivers.

5. Throwing on run to a wide open receiver when there is no big pressure on the qb, is not a hard throw. Not easy, but not hard. Threading a needle doing that is hard.

6. Brown is a decent or even good athlete for his size, but I think Humphrey is a better athlete and is faster. While Brown's decision/run for the TD was nice, he made a mistake by not going harder for the end zone (and I don't think he got over the goal line, nor did the announcers.

7. My friends and family in Bozeman, who go to games and who have had multiple kids play sports including football at Bozeman high, say that Brown was good, but, in their view, didn't stand out as being a great high school qb.

8. The weather had improved, and I thought the wind had died down, by the time Brown came in.

11. A parent who was at the game, told me that Brown didn't play enough to learn or determine much, and the coaches know a lot about the QB's than others. Let the players continue to compete. Both have considerable room for improvement.

12. Hauck likes competition and I"m glad there is competition at multiple positions. While I like Humphrey as the QB, I am fine with Brown beating him out (as that will show Brown has improved considerably).
Not many people care about your opinions, usually very biased. You don't like to be wrong but, usually are. Brown > Humphrey

Griz Addict said:
PlayerRep said:

Not many people care about your opinions, usually very biased. You don't like to be wrong but, usually are. Brown > Humphrey
I'm wondering who it is that cares about your opinion.

Back