• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kris Brown

We have seen Brown play in one game against a Division 2 team. Some of you have already decided that he will be the next great Griz quarterback. One of you stated that if he doesn’t start, he is headed to Clemson. We are excited to see the return of Griz football, but many of you are a bit carried away about Brown who, hopefully, has a good future at UM. In the meantime, UM has other good quarterbacks in the mix for the coaches to evaluate.

I was listening to Colter Nuanez on his radio show earlier this week and Riley Cocoran made a good point. The staff has this weekend's game and the first two games of this fall to really see what Cam/Kris bring to the table. I agree that the coaches will judge from player (in this case QB) performances this weekend, fall camp, AND the first two games of the season before they settle on a firm starter. Unless either really shines/stumbles this weekend/fall camp, I believe the starting job will be up for grabs until conference play starts.

kemajic said:
Griz Addict said:
Not many people care about your opinions, usually very biased. You don't like to be wrong but, usually are. Brown > Humphrey
I'm wondering who it is that cares about your opinion.

I don’t know Kem. He’s made 50 posts here....loooooooots of football knowledge just oozing out of those posts, too.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
Montana 42; Idaho 17 (11/9)
Montana 35; Weber 16 (11/16)

Suggests we didn't HAVE to bring Sneed in early in the blowout game. Might have been by design. Equating Sneed's participation in the blowout win vs. Idaho to the loss to Weber on 12/13, 5 weeks later, is a real stretch. One of your best.

Sure, since you asked, let's look at Humphrey's total 2019 stats. Passing 63/104 (61%), 761 yards, 6 TDs vs. 2 picks, 110 yards rushing (60 net after sacks). 3-0 in games he started. Don't think you will find too many backup QBs doing their job better.

So you weren’t at the Idaho game? When we were down 10-0 in the first quarter and Cam had already thrown two picks? He was obviously rattled and wasn’t getting any better. Here’s a hint: Sure, it ENDED as a blowout, but It wasn’t a blowout until Sneed shrugged off the warmups and limped onto the field and brought the Griz roaring back. You want to give him credit for that win? Mmmm Kay. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Feel free to point out anything that is not accurate in my post. You asked for the whole picture; you got it. The 5 week connection is still the prize.

I was at the Idaho game. Anyone that thinks we were in dire straits being down 10 to that Idaho team in Q1 is the same type of football mind that has Brown winning the Payton Award after 7 minutes of play in garbage time vs. a D2 team in April. Sneed was going to play in that game; it was just a matter of when. He needed to shake off the rust to be ready for Weber the next week.

MTGRZ said:
I was listening to Colter Nuanez on his radio show earlier this week and Riley Cocoran made a good point. The staff has this weekend's game and the first two games of this fall to really see what Cam/Kris bring to the table. I agree that the coaches will judge from player (in this case QB) performances this weekend, fall camp, AND the first two games of the season before they settle on a firm starter. Unless either really shines/stumbles this weekend/fall camp, I believe the starting job will be up for grabs until conference play starts.
That is a good plan. But the first two games are not our normal cupcake games, Udub and W. IL. Hard to learn much vs. Udub.

kemajic said:
MTGRZ said:
That is a good plan. But the first two games are not our normal cupcake games, Udub and W. IL. Hard to learn much vs. Udub.

or you could learn a lot.....as most likely will be playing under a lot of pressure no?

retiredpopo said:
kemajic said:

or you could learn a lot.....as most likely will be playing under a lot of pressure no?

I agree with this. If you can't learn from bad teams, and can't learn from good teams... Who are you going to learn from?

I have read the many comments about Brown vs. Humphrey in this thread. Unless I am wrong, all of the comments, have been based on one of three scenarios.......1) watching Griz practices...2) watching Cam last Saturday, as well as watching him last season; and watching Brown last Saturday...3) basing your opinion strictly because Bobby has anointed Cam as the early-season starter due to his "experience".

I suppose I initiated this "QB controversy" by making my pre-spring predictions that 1) based on what I have seen from Cam last season, he has too many flaws in his game to play at the level we need as our starter, and 2) Talking with coaches I respect about the skill-level of Brown

My posts regarding our QB situation were not meant to cause a controversy, I just wanted to give my opinion, as well as my prediction that Brown would eventually beat-out Cam as the starter. After the last game, it seems to have evolved into two distinct camps regarding who is the better QB.

I have no illusion that Brown will immediately look like Tom Brady. He is a red-shirt freshman, competing against a 5th-year senior who has never been able to win the starting job. Brown will make typical freshman mistakes, and will have to grow into the job. My comments, after watching him play briefly last week, are that he just "looks the part of a college QB". He has the body-type, and appears to be a cool customer pre-snap and post-snap. It was difficult from the limited streaming pictures on my computer, but on several passes I saw him looking at several receiver options before choosing one, and delivering a beautiful, catch-able pass. He had better mechanics on his throws than Cam did. Cam seemed to play rather frenzied on a few passing plays, while Brown looked composed. He looked nothing like an inexperienced freshman out there.

Posters are correct in saying that the sample size is too small. I agree. I am just going on the skill-sets I observed for the two QBs, and it was no contest last week, with Brown having the best so far. We'll get much more info after the PSU game. I only hope that Brown gets a chance to play a couple of series with the "ones". The only real way to compare the two is if both compete with the same units.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
So you weren’t at the Idaho game? When we were down 10-0 in the first quarter and Cam had already thrown two picks? He was obviously rattled and wasn’t getting any better. Here’s a hint: Sure, it ENDED as a blowout, but It wasn’t a blowout until Sneed shrugged off the warmups and limped onto the field and brought the Griz roaring back. You want to give him credit for that win? Mmmm Kay. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Feel free to point out anything that is not accurate in my post. You asked for the whole picture; you got it. The 5 week connection is still the prize.

I was at the Idaho game. Anyone that thinks we were in dire straits being down 10 to that Idaho team in Q1 is the same type of football mind that has Brown winning the Payton Award after 7 minutes of play in garbage time vs. a D2 team in April. Sneed was going to play in that game; it was just a matter of when. He needed to shake off the rust to be ready for Weber the next week.

Yeah. We weren’t in dire straits. That’s why Bobby brought in an injured Sneed. Apparently he disagrees.

hunt-ducks said:
I have read the many comments about Brown vs. Humphrey in this thread. Unless I am wrong, all of the comments, have been based on one of three scenarios.......1) watching Griz practices...2) watching Cam last Saturday, as well as watching him last season; and watching Brown last Saturday...3) basing your opinion strictly because Bobby has anointed Cam as the early-season starter due to his "experience".

I suppose I initiated this "QB controversy" by making my pre-spring predictions that 1) based on what I have seen from Cam last season, he has too many flaws in his game to play at the level we need as our starter, and 2) Talking with coaches I respect about the skill-level of Brown

My posts regarding our QB situation were not meant to cause a controversy, I just wanted to give my opinion, as well as my prediction that Brown would eventually beat-out Cam as the starter. After the last game, it seems to have evolved into two distinct camps regarding who is the better QB.

I have no illusion that Brown will immediately look like Tom Brady. He is a red-shirt freshman, competing against a 5th-year senior who has never been able to win the starting job. Brown will make typical freshman mistakes, and will have to grow into the job. My comments, after watching him play briefly last week, are that he just "looks the part of a college QB". He has the body-type, and appears to be a cool customer pre-snap and post-snap. It was difficult from the limited streaming pictures on my computer, but on several passes I saw him looking at several receiver options before choosing one, and delivering a beautiful, catch-able pass. He had better mechanics on his throws than Cam did. Cam seemed to play rather frenzied on a few passing plays, while Brown looked composed. He looked nothing like an inexperienced freshman out there.

Posters are correct in saying that the sample size is too small. I agree. I am just going on the skill-sets I observed for the two QBs, and it was no contest last week, with Brown having the best so far. We'll get much more info after the PSU game. I only hope that Brown gets a chance to play a couple of series with the "ones". The only real way to compare the two is if both compete with the same units.

Well said. Completely agree.

hunt-ducks said:

I’m not in any camp. I presume Bobby will choose the one that gives us the best chance to win. My only real hope tomorrow is that the game evolves into one where the 2’s and 3’s can see some valuable playing time like last weekend. Every live snap helps.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Yeah. We weren’t in dire straits. That’s why Bobby brought in an injured Sneed. Apparently he disagrees.
And you KNOW the why.

Back