• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

LadyGriz Lady Griz Recruiting: 2024+

2 freshman girls from Havre are pretty good!
https://www.havredailynews.com/story/2023/03/22/sports/havre-girls-well-represented-on-all-state-team/541740.html

PeauxRouge said:
HookedonGriz said:
Correct, played varsity as an 8th grader and comes from a hoops family. Had some games where she scored double digits too as well as hitting a game winner. Gonna be really good!

How does it work to be an 8th Grader playing varisty? There was a stud runner for Hardin this year that won state as an 8th grader. Can they only compete up through Junior year then?

They get to play through senior year. It’s definitely creating some controversy in terms of school scoring records, career records, etc. Not totally fair for someone to get a career record when they got one additional year over another.

Haven't heard anything recently, but I'll stick to what I heard about Williams in the summer because I don't think anything that happened during the high school season changed her trajectory. She showed out well enough last summer that she's going to have offers and consistent priority contact from Pac-12 schools. I don't think this is one of those she is getting interest and luke warm or conditional offers from programs. She's had a good number of Pac12 schools visit Skyview (including Oregon State), and unless there is a strong draw to stay near home (Missoula or Bozeman) I'd guess she'll have a number of upper level Pac12 offers to choose from.

Wouldn't blame her, because it is literally light years different these days between the BSC and the Pac12 in terms of talent, exposure and ability to make runs in the NCAA tournament.

Holsinger has proven he can recruit, but I just think it is an uphill climb considering where the trend has been recently w/ uber talented Montana kids.

Nice to think about honestly to have that type of caliber of player staying at home as a possibility though.

There have been some exceptions of course, but the most successful Montana hoops teams (women and men) were built upon one or two recruits who could have gone to a major school, but picked the Griz for specific, likely personal, reasons.

I'm not referring specifically to Williams here... BUT the timing is right for coach Holsinger to put the finishing touches on a team that -- in the next year or 3 -- could be pretty special. All these young athletes either know, or aware of each other through summer league AAU competition and they know when a team, through commitments -- could be a potential championship group to join. I'm hoping for a couple recruits of that caliber to join the GrizWBB over the next 1-6 months.

grizzlyjournal said:
There have been some exceptions of course, but the most successful Montana hoops teams (women and men) were built upon one or two recruits who could have gone to a major school, but picked the Griz for specific, likely personal, reasons.

I'm not referring specifically to Williams here... BUT the timing is right for coach Holsinger to put the finishing touches on a team that -- in the next year or 3 -- could be pretty special. All these young athletes either know, or aware of each other through summer league AAU competition and they know when a team, through commitments -- could be a potential championship group to join. I'm hoping for a couple recruits of that caliber to join the GrizWBB over the next 1-6 months.

Yeah, I've heard that both Katie Fiso and Devin Coppinger would love to be Lady Griz.

WyomingGrizFan said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Yeah, I've heard that both Katie Fiso and Devin Coppinger would love to be Lady Griz.

Those are both four-star recruits. Are your sources legit?

McDonald's All-American nominee, ESPN 5 Star recruit, Big 12 All Freshman team, I think she has only one year left, but can she kick field goals?

This is quite a departure from the way Holsinger began his tenure, recruiting quality high school players--including the Freshman of the Year, Mack Konig, and the incoming players I'm excited about, Huard, Donarski and Lincoln. And a member of this Board, Wyoming, posted that according to his sources, there were two four-star high school players interested in playing for the Lady Griz.

Instead we take three players off the Portal, and to me that comes with several red flags, the first being, the Portal itself. Not only limited remaining eligibility but why would somebody want to transfer in the first place--lack of playing time? Not a great sign. On top of which, these players arrive with poor numbers and histories of injuries. Just because they're from Power 5 programs does not mean they will be stars here.

Hoping for the best, of course, but still a bit skeptical. And sorry to see us abandon the high school route to re-building this program--especially when Holsinger's job is not in jeopardy.

citay said:
This is quite a departure from the way Holsinger began his tenure, recruiting quality high school players--including the Freshman of the Year, Mack Konig, and the incoming players I'm excited about, Huard, Donarski and Lincoln. And a member of this Board, Wyoming, posted that according to his sources, there were two four-star high school players interested in playing for the Lady Griz.

Instead we take three players off the Portal, and to me that comes with several red flags, the first being, the Portal itself. Not only limited remaining eligibility but why would somebody want to transfer in the first place--lack of playing time? Not a great sign. On top of which, these players arrive with poor numbers and histories of injuries. Just because they're from Power 5 programs does not mean they will be stars here.

Hoping for the best, of course, but still a bit skeptical. And sorry to see us abandon the high school route to re-building this program--especially when Holsinger's job is not in jeopardy.

I would say just off the top of my head, and not because I researched, but more because I remember somewhere the depth per class year for the LG. Is it possible some of it has to do with that to balance it out? Pretty senior/covid senior heavy this year and nearly no Jr eligibility wise? I just dont remember.

AZDoc said:
citay said:

I would say just off the top of my head, and not because I researched, but more because I remember somewhere the depth per class year for the LG. Is it possible some of it has to do with that to balance it out? Pretty senior/covid senior heavy this year and nearly no Jr eligibility wise? I just dont remember.

Good point. My thought was, he's trying to get to a championship faster in hopes of attracting some of the fabulous Montana talent that's coming up. We definitely needed some height and maybe a mature experienced Imogen Greenslade is the best answer right now.

This could be the Coldsmokes talking but aren’t the four star recruits class of 2024? Are Huard Donarski and Lincoln not from HS? Two of the three transfers sound like one and done? Lady Griz needed more size and Holsinger went and found some. Seems like a positive to me.

OMGriz9501 said:
This could be the Coldsmokes talking but aren’t the four star recruits class of 2024? Are Huard Donarski and Lincoln not from HS? Two of the three transfers sound like one and done? Lady Griz needed more size and Holsinger went and found some. Seems like a positive to me.

I am always a heck of a lot smarter after a few Cold Smokes. I don't think it takes more than one Cold Smoke to see the Lady Griz trending in the right direction. Our talent upgrade is significant and I hear Holsinger's recruiting is pretty impressive.

Looks like Elizabeth Stump (4), Coppinger (3) & Fiso (2) played on the same team a while back (gray team):
https://www.theseasonticket.com/roster/show/5639088?subseason=674974

They look like they play pretty well together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ex7K09EbwA

OMGriz9501 said:
...aren’t the four star recruits class of 2024? Are Huard Donarski and Lincoln not from HS? Two of the three transfers sound like one and done?

If not mistaken, I believe that both Imogen Greenslade and M J Bruno, though both are transfers from other programs, are redshirt juniors eligible for the next season (2023-24).

citay said:
AZDoc said:

Good point. My thought was, he's trying to get to a championship faster in hopes of attracting some of the fabulous Montana talent that's coming up. We definitely needed some height and maybe a mature experienced Imogen Greenslade is the best answer right now.

Nice and helpful posts. My view is that the Portal now creates pressure and opportunity to build teams from high school and transfer. Holes can be filled. I like these 3 from the portal. The 6’4” woman helps fill a need. The other 2 have very nice potential. Hopefully, they will remain healthy and blend in. They don’t seem to have detracted from high school recruiting, at least this year. One would think this creates more competition, as well as more depth.

Back