• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Damn. Another one down - Mayhue out for the remainder of the year.
https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizWBB/status/1095424444242132993

So, the Lady Griz will finish the season with pretty much no bench support at all.

TrueGriz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Damn. Another one down - Mayhue out for the remainder of the year.
https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizWBB/status/1095424444242132993

So, the Lady Griz will finish the season with pretty much no bench support at all.
That is it for Guard depth - unless they end up having to burn Camels red-shirt out of necessity.

If the players want Shannon back, they had better let Haslam know it now, or it might be too late. Maybe it already is.

tourist said:
If the players want Shannon back, they had better let Haslam know it now, or it might be too late. Maybe it already is.

Her record as a head coach is 31-51 to date.....imagine the uproar if Travis won 38% of his games.

If Travis had the injuries to key players, season ending or career ending, like Shannon had over the past three years...

tourist said:
If Travis had the injuries to key players, season ending or career ending, like Shannon had over the past three years...
Sadly true.

But when it goes on that long, you begin to wonder about the team's conditioning program or perhaps something about the way they are being taught to play/move around.

The WHY of the injuries has been beaten to death on eGriz. Haslam should have been looking into the WHY factor long ago. Perhaps he did look into it, and found nothing related to conditioning or coaching. One way or another, he will have to explain his rationale for doing whateverinthehell he decides to do. This is Haslam's seventh year, so he evidently believes in longevity, at least for himself.

tourist said:

The injuries on her teams have been absolutely incredible and I’d say impossible to overcome.

Preseason MVP Valley
Next best player Sims
Fab freshman Stiles
Quality starter Schoening
Quality starter Goligoski
Fab freshman Mayhue

All that in 2.5 seasons.....incredible. Something is no longer a coincidence with this stuff

tourist said:
HookedonGriz said:
Something is no longer a coincidence with this stuff.

If not a coincidence, then what? :?: I would really like to know.

I’m not a doctor and I did not stay at a holiday inn express last night, but judging the fact our season ending injuries are 1233% higher than any other team in the Big Sky then perhaps a look into strength and conditioning for the lady Griz could be a good start.

tourist said:

Word on the street - that ain’t happening. Likability and respect appear to be low. All conjecture, but the grapevine usually is somewhat accurate.

Thanks Copper, I had no idea. Will be interesting to see how Haslam explains away the injury problem.

I think, at least from my perspective, there is a real connundrum here. Shannon’s support in the community doesn’t seem to have been diminished at least from my perspective. She might be living on borrowed credibility, but I just don’t see the visible level of consternation that other programs might have under the same circumstances.

So the Athletic Department, should they decide to move in another direction, whether it is this year or later on, has a difficult choice to make. People might be surprised or even dismayed, because of the longstanding connections she has and how interwoven she is within the community.

I think a lot of us have heard things over the past three years, and I don’t know how much fire there is to the smoke, but I just wonder how long the athletic department can continue to rationalize the results with ‘injuries.’ I don’t know how much pressure exists to make changes or there is any legitimate concern here.

I have never watched a Lady Griz game, except for a few moments of selective individual games. That being said, I looked up the history of WBB at UM. Three coaches in the first four years(31-48, or 65%). Then, along came Robin Selvig. 38 years with a 75% average overall. Schweyen was an assistant for many of those years. Now, she has been the coach for the last three years. Injuries have crippled each years team, and the Lady Griz have accumulated a 38% overall average.
WHY THE INJURIES? My question is why hasn't Haslam found the reason for all the injuries, IF there is an identifiable cause? The prevalence of injuries is obvious.

Without an identifiable solution to the injury phenomenon, changing coaches accomplishes less than nothing. A 'change in direction' to the same old 'change coaches every 3-5 years' is short sighted, and will lead to cyclical accomplishments by successive teams. Coach does well, then moves up for money and prestige. Coach doesn't succeed, gets fired, and the cycle repeats. Schweyen is a known factor, a Griz alum superstar player, and is part of the University and Missoula. Replacing her because of three straight years of poor performance by her teams, directly attributable to key injuries, would be beyond foolish. Without identifying WHY the injuries, and HOW they can be prevented, any knee-jerk reaction is just plain wrong.

I think it is good for coaches to understand kinesiology and body mechanics. Not all professional, college and youth coaches are intimately aware of the way the sport that they coach can impact or increase the prevalence of certain types of injuries.

My personal opinion is that it is coaching malphesance if you put players in positions through practice and game philosophies that create injuries or increase the chance of them. You can’t fully eliminate knee injuries in women’s basketball because you can’t change genetic structure of women’s knees and hips. But you can reduce them. Just like you can reduce but not eliminate Shoulder and elbow issues in baseball.

The reason why I spend the time I do fixing mechanic issues for pitchers is that it will reduce chances of injuries. I avoid muscle bulk training in pitchers, and amp up core training with tremendous amounts of kinestetic stretching (non-static stretching).

Certain injuries in certain sports send off alarm bells about how things are done. Feet, lower back issues and shoulder issues can be indicative of overuse and sometimes it is how coaches practice and train their players. Muscle injuries are peculiar, most of the time related to individuals, but can be reflective of poor strength training habits but it takes a confluence of events to expose players to injury.

There is no question about the frequency and severity of injuries affecting the program!
There is also no question that the issue needs to be addressed and corrected as soon as possible.

But, whether all of this can be blamed on the coaching is in my mind a bit stretch. To suggest that the staff is not concerned about this is sheer poppycock!

I've watched the last several games either in full or in part and the one thing that is clear is that everyone of those gals is playing extremely hard on every play. They do not have the talent they started the season but they they have been in virtually every conference game going into the 4th qtr and in some of those they lost they were in right to the final buzzer!

If anything we should be congratulating Shannon on what has been accomplished! Given the injuries, I seriously doubt that any other team in the BSC would be performing as well! I would posit that very few teams in the country would remain as competitive as the Lady Griz have been after sustaining the decimation they have undergone this year. I hope that Kent Haslem takes this into account when the time comes.

Gaeilge1 said:
There is no question about the frequency and severity of injuries affecting the program!
There is also no question that the issue needs to be addressed and corrected as soon as possible.

But, whether all of this can be blamed on the coaching is in my mind a bit stretch. To suggest that the staff is not concerned about this is sheer poppycock!

I've watched the last several games either in full or in part and the one thing that is clear is that everyone of those gals is playing extremely hard on every play. They do not have the talent they started the season but they they have been in virtually every conference game going into the 4th qtr and in some of those they lost they were in right to the final buzzer!

If anything we should be congratulating Shannon on what has been accomplished! Given the injuries, I seriously doubt that any other team in the BSC would be performing as well! I would posit that very few teams in the country would remain as competitive as the Lady Griz have been after sustaining the decimation they have undergone this year. I hope that Kent Haslem takes this into account when the time comes.

Sugarcoat all you want. Bob Stitt was held to a higher standard and he lost his QB at a critical point in the season. I expect the same for every program. The injuries may be bad luck or may be a larger training problem. No question the girls play damn hard and I can't think of a reason they would not? The buck stops with the head coach and her record demonstrates the program is not headed in the right direction. I hope Haslam takes everything into consideration. The strength and conditioning. The coaching in tight games that could have been won. The girls attitude concerning the coaching staff. Finally, the expectations that should exist for the program based on history and recruiting. Per other posters comments. Every program is dealing with injuries and challenges. I guess every program accepts mediocrity.

Copper, I appreciate your point of view and agree with the idea that the buck ultimately stops with the head coach. But comparing Coach Stitt's situation with that of Coach Schwehen is like comparing an Apple with a Porcupine! Stitt did lose a very productive qb, but was able to replace him with another very productive qb. Schwehen has had to cobble together a team that to date has remained competitive. Stitt did not do that.

For the record I am not a big fan of Coach Schewen's style of basketball. But until someone can show me that her coaching is responsible for or directly led to this myriad of injuries, I would hate to see her dismissed largely on the basis of player injuries.

Back