• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz

And today, the Lady Griz finished off a weekend sweep of Weber State and Idaho State.

The game today was one the whole team undoubtedly had to sweat out as the Lady Griz won 60-59. It all came down to free throws for ISU's Saylair Grandon. UM held a 58-56 lead when Jace Henderson fouled out with 5 seconds left in regulation, which sent Grandon to the foul line. All Grandon had to do was make both free throws which would have sent the game into OT had UM not converted on an ensuing possession, but Grandon missed the first FT attempt (made the second FT) and OT wasn't necessary as the Bengals fouled Emma Stockholm right afterward.

Gabi Harrington and McKenzie Johnston both played exceptionally well. Johnston had a double-double (12 points and 11 rebounds) and was POTG, and Harrington led in scoring with 18.

The game was a lot closer than it should have been. Lady Griz had a 12 point lead coming out of the first quarter. They then go and shoot 1 of 17 in the second quarter and end up tied at half. What is even worse is that Shannon never called a time out the whole quarter to straighten things out. The Lady Griz had no ball movement at all and not one time out. I could not believe it??

84GRIZ said:
The game was a lot closer than it should have been. Lady Griz had a 12 point lead coming out of the first quarter. They then go and shoot 1 of 17 in the second quarter and end up tied at half. What is even worse is that Shannon never called a time out the whole quarter to straighten things out. The Lady Griz had no ball movement at all and not one time out. I could not believe it??
Disagree with you on the bolded. Mostly just because the ladies have been really inconsistent all year. Idaho State is a better team than the ladies. The Lady Griz lost 34-50 when they played in Pocatello. Averaged 8 points-ish per quarter when they played them a couple weeks ago.

I'm not surprised that ISU made a run. The ladies also jumped ahead of EWU (I think) and MSU in the first quarter of there other games then proceeded to scuffle the last few quarters in each game. Depth is definitely a problem right now and it appears they just run out of gas after the 1st quarter or so.

Perhaps both the women and men would be better off keeping it close early and during the game, instead of running up big leads, and just figuring out how to win that way. This would keep the level of criticism of close wins down. Just a thought.

PlayerRep said:
Perhaps both the women and men would be better off keeping it close early and during the game, instead of running up big leads, and just figuring out how to win that way. This would keep the level of criticism of close wins down. Just a thought.

:D Well - I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day of the week.

I have noticed, over the last couple weeks, that opinions of Lady Griz BB have varied from 'Oh, YEAH!!! An other banner to hang from the rafters,' to 'horrible coaching, poor lackluster players who couldn't keep a 100 point lead, we need a new direction.' Same team, same coaches, same fans. A Montana Class 'C' coach once told me, "Every team has a hundred coaches." Que Sera Sera.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
84GRIZ said:
Disagree with you on the bolded. Mostly just because the ladies have been really inconsistent all year. Idaho State is a better team than the ladies. The Lady Griz lost 34-50 when they played in Pocatello. Averaged 8 points-ish per quarter when they played them a couple weeks ago.

I'm not surprised that ISU made a run. The ladies also jumped ahead of EWU (I think) and MSU in the first quarter of there other games then proceeded to scuffle the last few quarters in each game. Depth is definitely a problem right now and it appears they just run out of gas after the 1st quarter or so.

Shannon's inability to sense big momentum swings and call timeouts to stem those runs are mind boggling. You can't take those extra timeouts with you and they might actually help.

tourist said:
I have noticed, over the last couple weeks, that opinions of Lady Griz BB have varied from 'Oh, YEAH!!! An other banner to hang from the rafters,' to 'horrible coaching, poor lackluster players who couldn't keep a 100 point lead, we need a new direction.' Same team, same coaches, same fans. A Montana Class 'C' coach once told me, "Every team has a hundred coaches." Que Sera Sera.

The Lady Griz have a few very good players but have certainly been impacted by injuries. Henderson, Harrington and Johnston (now that the mask are gone) are really good players. Emma has shown great improvement over the prior season but she is still a bit inconsistent at times. Sammy has shown flashes but is also inconsistent. The remaining uninjured portion of the bench needs to develop. Idaho State made their run when our starters were getting a breather in the second quarter. There is a large drop off after starters are out at this point due to injury. Further, teams have been doubling us down low and denying the inside stuff to Jace. Unfortunately, the ladies can't answer with consistent outside shooting. Outside shooting has plagued the team for years now. They need to recruit a sharp shooter every year to end this problem.

When this team has an inside game they are tough to beat. When they don't have an inside game they generally can't hang around due to less than stellar shooting. A few of these players have tremendous heart and they will battle and go as far as Jace, McKenzie and Gabi will them. If they get on a run they could beat anybody in the conference.

go96griz said:
tourist said:

The Lady Griz have a few very good players but have certainly been impacted by injuries. Henderson, Harrington and Johnston (now that the mask are gone) are really good players. Emma has shown great improvement over the prior season but she is still a bit inconsistent at times. Sammy has shown flashes but is also inconsistent. The remaining uninjured portion of the bench needs to develop. Idaho State made their run when our starters were getting a breather in the second quarter. There is a large drop off after starters are out at this point due to injury. Further, teams have been doubling us down low and denying the inside stuff to Jace. Unfortunately, the ladies can't answer with consistent outside shooting. Outside shooting has plagued the team for years now. They need to recruit a sharp shooter every year to end this problem.

When this team has an inside game they are tough to beat. When they don't have an inside game they generally can't hang around due to less than stellar shooting. A few of these players have tremendous heart and they will battle and go as far as Jace, McKenzie and Gabi will them. If they get on a run they could beat anybody in the conference.

Recruiting a sharp shooter may be tougher than it seems. Gabi was a good 3 point shooter in high school. Her freshman year during the maroon - silver scrimmage, the exhibition games and the first official game, she hardly could miss a 3 point shot including one shot maybe 10 feet from the 3 point line that was nothing but net. She since lost her shot and hasn't been that good. She does have one the best 3 point shooting percentage on the team right now. Only a sophomore, but may be she will get her shot back.

Lady Griz biggest handicap is depth, freethrow shooting, and defending the 3 point shot. first and third quarters with the starters, Lady Griz built double digit leads. Coach puts in her daughter for Gabi to start the second and fourth quarters, and other substutions later in each quarter and ISU catches up. But what can a coach do? play all 5 starters 40 minutes? I guess it could be done, but tournament, they won't last long.
I like getting Henderson the ball as often as they can but please hope the other team doesn't foul her because more often then not it is a free foul as she is likely to miss 1 or both freethrows. As of now, Harrington and Johnston are the best freethrow shooters but they're both low 70 percent shooters. This is where the Lady Griz miss Madi Shoening as she was very good (80+ percent shooter) at the line.

Back