• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Let the conference realignment begin!

Griz#64 said:
I salute the optimism, however with a little over 9000 undergrads, Can we Qualify ??
You bring up a good question. There could be concerns about our decline in enrollment.

Spanky2 said:
Griz#64 said:
I salute the optimism, however with a little over 9000 undergrads, Can we Qualify ??
You bring up a good question. There could be concerns about our decline in enrollment.

Of the 130 schools with an FBS program, seven have an enrollment of less than 10,000 and four have an enrollment of less than 5,000. Which FBS school has the smallest enrollment?

Some hints:
It's the only school whose football stadium is at least 1,000 percent larger than its enrollment.
It's located west of the Mississippi River.
It's a Group of Five school.

Google is your friend...this was a 2018 HeroSports Quiz

Given those facts, the answer must be Air Force. The other option would be Tulsa but I don’t think their stadium size qualifies.

As an aside, Sask, your post got buried but was funny as shit!!

EverettGriz said:
Given those facts, the answer must be Air Force. The other option would be Tulsa but I don’t think their stadium size qualifies.

As an aside, Sask, your post got buried but was funny as shit!!
Air Force was my first guess too ... without looking anything up. But the FBS school with the smallest enrollment is, indeed, Tulsa (3,297 vs 4,237 for AF). Once upon a time, their stadium size fit the criteria mentioned. However, according to the Wikipedia item, a renovation (new press box, "elite" fan club, etc.) in 2007 reduced the capacity to 30,000 from over 35,000.

Pretty amazing that they can support competitive athletic programs (somewhat in football, more so in basketball) with such a small enrollment. Of course, having an endowment fund of over a billion dollars (current values) helps a lot. Still, their web site says that "only" about 20% of their annual budget comes from endowment revenue ... so they clearly get some major money from donors and grants.

All this talk about schools moving up for realignment is a moot point I believe. I see a future with 4 16 team conferences and then the other FBS smaller conferences. These realignments are only to make the rich richer they are not looking to spread the wealth with anyone outside the power 5 certainly not fcs schools looking to move up.

Mavman said:
All this talk about schools moving up for realignment is a moot point I believe. I see a future with 4 16 team conferences and then the other FBS smaller conferences. These realignments are only to make the rich richer they are not looking to spread the wealth with anyone outside the power 5 certainly not fcs schools looking to move up.

I’m confused. Of course the BCS teams won’t share any revenue with the rest of FBS. That’s no different than today, though. But are you suggesting there’s not more money in, say, the Mountain West than there is at the fcs level??

Will OK pols let OU move without OSU? Seems it was an issue when PAC expansion was being discussed a decade ago.

https://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/sooners-and-longhorns-potential-move-to-sec-not-without-roadblocks/article_7366eefc-eb3e-11eb-90e0-57c58449af9d.html

Hoops watcher said:
Will OK pols let OU move without OSU? Seems it was an issue when PAC expansion was being discussed a decade ago.

https://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/sooners-and-longhorns-potential-move-to-sec-not-without-roadblocks/article_7366eefc-eb3e-11eb-90e0-57c58449af9d.html

OU to the SEC, OSU to the PAC along with Kansas, just a hunch.

I read an article the other day that indicated the following.

Texas and UO to SEC
Rest of Big 12 disbands
Iowa state, Kansas and Kansas State to Big 10
West Virginia to ACC
Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma State to P-12.

This would give the Power-4 conferences 16 teams.

With these super conferences, OOC games will be limited and done within the P-4 and the days of the money games coming to and end for the remains “FBS” and “FCS”. People will want to see these more high level matchups across the board.

If this does happen what shakes out with the rest of FBS and FCS. Loosing money games could be a death blow.

Maybe they should take the remaining FBS and FCS schools with higher aspirations and create more regional conferences.

I guess this could the start of the major shakeup to college athletics that we have questioned in the past. It certainly will be interesting to see what things looks like in the next 5-10 years. Especially adding in the NIL change.

Personally I think UM has invested way to much to not try and take this to the next level. Meaning not getting dropped back of left behind. They should be playing with teams like , Colorado State, Boise, Nevada etc. Basically more Mountain West level type schools. Just my opinion.

I've read articles from every region talking about all of the forthcoming musical chairs once again. The same morons that formed the Super WAC that was the first super conference (in their own eyes) are speculating again. Disney's ESPN and ABC can't afford the payouts the ACC is going to demand, especially if they go after all the Big East.

It's as if the administrators are conceding football to the SEC and giving basketball to both the BIG 10 and the ACC.

This is just one of the many speculative articles Sports Illustrated has out there. Phil Knight University is going to have to really kick in the bucks because any of the schools out of the scraps of the Big 12 are going to be a real drain on their conference member share. The Big 10 is going to come out of this smelling like a rose.

https://www.si.com/college/bostoncollege/.amp/football/acc-expansion-conference-realignment-texas-oklahoma-sec

OrgonGriz said:
I read an article the other day that indicated the following.

Texas and UO to SEC
Rest of Big 12 disbands
Iowa state, Kansas and Kansas State to Big 10
West Virginia to ACC
Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma State to P-12.

This would give the Power-4 conferences 16 teams.

With these super conferences, OOC games will be limited and done within the P-4 and the days of the money games coming to and end for the remains “FBS” and “FCS”. People will want to see these more high level matchups across the board.

If this does happen what shakes out with the rest of FBS and FCS. Loosing money games could be a death blow.

Maybe they should take the remaining FBS and FCS schools with higher aspirations and create more regional conferences.

I guess this could the start of the major shakeup to college athletics that we have questioned in the past. It certainly will be interesting to see what things looks like in the next 5-10 years. Especially adding in the NIL change.

Personally I think UM has invested way to much to not try and take this to the next level. Meaning not getting dropped back of left behind. They should be playing with teams like , Colorado State, Boise, Nevada etc. Basically more Mountain West level type schools. Just my opinion.

UM was in the Pacific Coast Conference and the Skyline Conference for many years. With the formation of the Big Sky Conference, UM administration became comfortable as the Griz started winning and revenue increased dramatically. Now UM may not be presented with any options such as the Mountain West Conference as a result of our enrollment challenges.

All the possible scenarios. No Big 12, No Commissioner or Little Commissioners, total of 24 positions:
https://big12sports.com/sports/2018/7/1/2017
Kansas has a real problem. What conference will want a perennial football doormat, while at the same time allowing a basketball program which will beat their best and brightest like a red haired step child?

3-7-77 said:
All the possible scenarios. No Big 12, No Commissioner or Little Commissioners, total of 24 positions:
https://big12sports.com/sports/2018/7/1/2017
Kansas has a real problem. What conference will want a perennial football doormat, while at the same time allowing a basketball program which will beat their best and brightest like a red haired step child?

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sports/kansas-big-ten-conference-call-2021/amp/

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2021/07/23/if-the-big-12-fails-does-kansas-fit-in-the-acc-big-ten-or-pac-12/

http://m.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2021/jul/22/proactive-approach-critical-for-ku-if-ok/?templates=mobile

https://www.google.com/amp/s/soonerswire.usatoday.com/lists/big-12-conference-expansion-oklahoma-state-texas-tech-baylor-texas-christian/amp/

I've read some "experts" stating, and I paraphrase, the Big 10 and ACC are both going to get really greedy and pick up nearly all of the remaining Big 12 teams, the Big East and raid the PAC and get Colorado "...back where they belong..." Also, schools such as Cincinatti are getting pulled up. I rather enjoy watching all the egos at work right now.

And as usual, ESPN using its $ club to influence outcomes to their liking.

https://tinyurl.com/kj6fjt7d

ESPN is as bad as Big Tech and might/should be included in that club.

kemajic said:

As much as I cared about college football while I lived in the south, as I get older I'm getting tired of watching "This is the Place" keep their grubby hands on the college sports world. Disney who owns both ESPN and ABC is doing all in their power to steer the college sports scene. I for one don't want to see major colleges splint into super football and super basketball conferences. There's articles out there showing the SEC is chasing ohio state and Michigan!

Waiting for the latest financials from this bunch:

https://www.kaufmanhall.com/insights/thoughts-ken-kaufman/espn-disrupted-if-it-can-happen-cable-sports-it-can-happen

What chain owns virtually all of the motels and resorts in this country (and the world?)

kemajic said:

Same with Big Spork. They have their little tines in every grocery store pre-made salad and airport grab-n-go. I know they’re out to get me so I don’t trust them at all.

Mavman said:
All this talk about schools moving up for realignment is a moot point I believe. I see a future with 4 16 team conferences and then the other FBS smaller conferences. These realignments are only to make the rich richer ...
Oddly enough, a transition to four 16-team power conference doesn’t turn out to be that difficult. There are a few hard choices, but – believe it or not –many of the changes fall “naturally” into place.

Atlantic Coast Conference
Atlantic Division
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Louisville
NC State
Rutgers [transfer from Big Ten]
Syracuse
Wake Forest
Coastal Division
Duke
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

West Virginia moving to the ACC has been talked up forever (more natural rivals, better travel, etc). Not so much talk about Rutger getting back to where it belongs … in the ACC … but the notion has been discussed quite a bit by commentators who follow the team.

Big Ten
East Division
Illinois [moved from West Division]
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue [moved from West Division]
Rutgers [out to ACC]
West Division
Kansas
Kansas State

Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

No big surprise here. Almost every discussion of the Big 12 breaking up has the three teams I’ve listed going to the Big Ten. And adding Kansas would make the Big Ten even more of a monster in basketball. To maintain balance, they’d need to shift Illinois and Purdue, but that makes a lot of sense geographically.

Pac-12
North Division
California
Colorado [moved from South Division]
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Utah [moved from South Division]
Washington
Washington State
South Division
Arizona
Arizona State
Baylor
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
UCLA
USC

This wholesale switch of four teams from the disbanded Big-12 may seem like a stretch … and it might be. Still, it would make a good package for the South Division, including some of the old “natural” rivalries. Baylor is problematic for various reasons, but the fact that they’re the current NCAA men’s basketball champion would be a definite plus for the Pac-12. Aside from all that, moving Colorado and Utah to the North Division makes sense geographically.

SEC
East Division
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Vanderbilt
West Division
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi State
Missouri [moved from East Division]
Ole Miss
Texas A&M

I put Oklahoma and Texas in the same division to preserve that heated rivalry. Moving Missouri to maintain balance also works, because it puts them in with Arkansas and Texas A&M.

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:

Same with Big Spork. They have their little tines in every grocery store pre-made salad and airport grab-n-go. I know they’re out to get me so I don’t trust them at all.

:lol:

IdaGriz01 said:
SEC
East Division
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Vanderbilt
West Division
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Texas A&M

I put Oklahoma and Texas in the same division to preserve that heated rivalry. Moving Missouri to maintain balance also works, because it puts them in with Arkansas and Texas A&M.
OK and TX to the west; Auburn and AL to the east to at least show a rare consideration of geography.

IdaGriz01 said:
Mavman said:
All this talk about schools moving up for realignment is a moot point I believe. I see a future with 4 16 team conferences and then the other FBS smaller conferences. These realignments are only to make the rich richer ...
Oddly enough, a transition to four 16-team power conference doesn’t turn out to be that difficult. There are a few hard choices, but – believe it or not –many of the changes fall “naturally” into place.

Atlantic Coast Conference
Atlantic Division
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Louisville
NC State
Rutgers [transfer from Big Ten]
Syracuse
Wake Forest
Coastal Division
Duke
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

West Virginia moving to the ACC has been talked up forever (more natural rivals, better travel, etc). Not so much talk about Rutger getting back to where it belongs … in the ACC … but the notion has been discussed quite a bit by commentators who follow the team.

Big Ten
East Division
Illinois [moved from West Division]
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue [moved from West Division]
Rutgers [out to ACC]
West Division
Kansas
Kansas State

Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

No big surprise here. Almost every discussion of the Big 12 breaking up has the three teams I’ve listed going to the Big Ten. And adding Kansas would make the Big Ten even more of a monster in basketball. To maintain balance, they’d need to shift Illinois and Purdue, but that makes a lot of sense geographically.

Pac-12
North Division
California
Colorado [moved from South Division]
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Utah [moved from South Division]
Washington
Washington State
South Division
Arizona
Arizona State
Baylor
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
UCLA
USC

This wholesale switch of four teams from the disbanded Big-12 may seem like a stretch … and it might be. Still, it would make a good package for the South Division, including some of the old “natural” rivalries. Baylor is problematic for various reasons, but the fact that they’re the current NCAA men’s basketball champion would be a definite plus for the Pac-12. Aside from all that, moving Colorado and Utah to the North Division makes sense geographically.

SEC
East Division
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Vanderbilt
West Division
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Texas A&M

You guys need a hobby. :cool:

Back