• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McDowell back in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, CDA, PR informed me at 3:36pm today. Read his post. You know this site, rumors, innuendo, lies, damned lies. I'm not in the eGriz Club, or QB Club, don't live in the Zoo. The information coming out of the Athletic Dept. is next to non-existent, newspapers have disappeared, local sports TV coverage is sporadic, and I gave up on Colter Cat Nuanez long ago.

I made the post answering your 'questions' at 2:53 pm, today. The full story of McDowell and Crews has never, to my knowledge, been told by the Athletic Dept. The Crews family did tell it's side of the story, either on eGriz or in the Missoulian(don't remember which). McDowell hasn't clarified anything. If he's up for Sainthood somewhere, I'm unaware of the narrative. Maybe a local Bishop somewhere can get the ball rolling with the official Cause for Beatification and Canonization(the first step toward Sainthood). So, yeah, I will keep beating the drum for Crews and his family. They were the victim of reverse discrimination, IMHO.

Keep an eye on McDowell, as he is a well documented self serving manipulator. He is using that Psychology degree very well.

Jeopardy format and 30 seconds of theme music for the following:
Answer: A code or policy which favors one group or person over another.
Question:

Time is up, CDA.
Kinda seems like there's a much more obvious reason you're okay with Crews, and not with Clif.

This dilemma of allowing or not allowing a kid to come back to a team after entering the portal is such a tough decision to make. I've seen a few teams deal with this dilemma in the off-season when concerning the starting QB leaving and entering the portal. Most coaches won't allow it and say no right off the bat where I've seen a couple coaches bring the kid back, but after talking to the whole team. Allowing the kid to comeback after it was a unanimous vote amongst teammates to allow the kid to comeback. Either way I'm just dumbfounded and can't understand why Cliff left. I heard all the rumors on here and maybe some have truth to it but it just still blows my mind. After playing 4/5 previous seasons for all different programs and really not doing much, then you get to the best program in the FCS(yeah we lost to SDSU, but I still think Montana is the best program in the FCS)gets here, manages to become the starter and helps the team to reach the NC game and also picking up a few awards along the way. Then after 2/3 days after losing the NC, you first day look forward to getting back here next year or whatever he said, but it basically meant he wanted to stay to finish business. Then immediately enter the portal. Not giving any time to even think about the choice he's making, blows my mind. Sorry I sound like a broken record. But, you have to be retarded to make that decision that quickly. I honestly wish and hope the best for Cliff and I hope his choices don't lead to him not being able to play this year, wherever that may be. But it's on to this year's team and I can't wait to see what the future holds for us. I hope everyone still looks at us like this did last year as the team that will be lucky to win 5/6 games. I loved it when almost all teams overlooked us and we were underdogs. I thought it brought out the best in us, giving the kids extra motivation to prove everyone wrong. Either way, I hope and pray all the kids are healthy and stay healthy and injury free. Spring Ball just started up again this week and can't wait to see the Spring game. We are only 5 months away from the starting of next season, isn't that just great! To all the Griz fans on here, you guys are awesome and thank you for allowing me to be apart of this community. Go GRIZ!!!

I really don't want to relitigate this and I know that many people have butted heads about it, so I'm really NOT trying to throw a molotov cocktail in here, but phrasing of this matters. Of course we all want someone who will compete, and of course we would all hate it if someone said "I want things handed to me and I don't want to compete, or I will take my ball and go home."

But we are dealing with people here, and there is usually grey when it comes to people. Normal people don't say stuff like that. None of us were in that room with the coaches (whoever among them it may be) and Clif, and there were only two people on the phone between a coach and Clif. Maybe put a little humanity on the kid, and put yourself into situations where you have gotten news you didn't want and maybe you don't process it well or communicate. Maybe he really thought this was his team lining up behind him (like it seemed on socials), and maybe he really thought he finally had a staff that was about to tell him that they appreciated him and were trusting him with the future of the program. When he instead heard that competition is always open, maybe he was feeling some hurt and wasn't listening very well. I've done that. Maybe the phrasings were done in a way that the coaches thought they were saying one thing, and he was hearing another.

I doubt there is any path to Clif coming back, but it would be a disservice to him if we on Egriz started spreading a narrative that we knew that Clif "didn't want to compete." He obviously went to a school where he would have to compete for a starting job. He wasn't scared of competition. I have my own theories on what was in his head, but I don't really know. None of us do. But lets not spread a false narrative that we know Clif "didn't want to compete." That is a pretty one-sided take, in my opinon
Nicely stated, Elrod! Thanks for your opinion and your respectful way of expressing it.

I would like to add that if hecame back to Missoula and sincerely asked to be reconsidered as a Griz, Bobby would allow that request...by that I mean the coach would reconsider. The decision would be made with lots of thought and input from others. Clif was an enigma for most fans. I imagine there were things about Clif that would enigmatic for the staff. I feel for the guy. He has some outstanding skills. His story is interesting.

Kinda seems like there's a much more obvious reason you're okay with Crews, and not with Clif.
The 2 situations are very different.

Cliff left on his own. Looks like he made a very bad decision. The coaches/team can't let players test free agency. Bad policy.

Crews was not allowed to stay. He didn't decide to leave; he wanted to stay. I think Hauck wanted to be able to have him come to UM, but groups and forces beyond Hauck's control caused UM not to be able to allow Crews to attend UM.

Again, the situations are not comparable.

The 2 situations are very different.

Cliff left on his own. Looks like he made a very bad decision. The coaches/team can't let players test free agency. Bad policy.

Crews was not allowed to stay. He didn't decide to leave; he wanted to stay. I think Hauck wanted to be able to have him come to UM, but groups and forces beyond Hauck's control caused UM not to be able to allow Crews to attend UM.

Again, the situations are not comparable.
I personally think both Crews and McDowell are equally individually responsible for their not being Griz football players.

But yeah, they are quite different. I would gladly welcome Clif back before ever even considering wanting Crews on my favorite football team, but that's just me. But I feel like I've made my thoughts on Zac pretty clear on here over the years since, so I'll drop it.

I personally think both Crews and McDowell are equally individually responsible for their not being Griz football players.

But yeah, they are quite different. I would gladly welcome Clif back before ever even considering wanting Crews on my favorite football team, but that's just me. But I feel like I've made my thoughts on Zac pretty clear on here over the years since, so I'll drop it.
Both caused their own initial problems, but Crews had many forces working against him coming to UM. McDowell didn't.

I'd be happy to have Crews at UM, and felt that way all along. I can see the policy reasons for not allowing McDowell back. I too would have been fine with letting him correct his big goof up in the first few weeks, but, again, fine with Hauck's view.

Can you think of a better teaching point for Hauck and his staff when counseling kids through career decisions going forward?

I'm thankful for the amazing year we had last year and McDowell was a big part of that, but I disagree with the bring him back crowd in here. This program has finally regained its culture from Freshman through Seniors, and I wouldn't risk that in any way to bring back a chance at a flash in the pan.

If we want to reach the pinnacle again moving forward, we need to continually improve upon any weaknesses.

Can you think of a better teaching point for Hauck and his staff when counseling kids through career decisions going forward?

I'm thankful for the amazing year we had last year and McDowell was a big part of that, but I disagree with the bring him back crowd in here. This program has finally regained its culture from Freshman through Seniors, and I wouldn't risk that in any way to bring back a chance at a flash in the pan.

If we want to reach the pinnacle again moving forward, we need to continually improve upon any weaknesses.
I get what you're saying, and I agree with it in theory. I just don't think we will ever see the type of "commitment" we might want to see when we play at this level anymore. I don't think it's wise to have a blanket policy that once you enter the portal you can never come back if the goal is to win. Like most things in life, I think it should be case by case. If an All-American WR wanted to move up and then changed his mind, it's a lot different than if a third string WR entered the portal and changed his mind.

I guess I view it a lot like playing time. It's pretty easy to explain to a bench player why he doesn't get as much playing time as the dude two spots above him on the depth chart. I think it would be equally easy to explain why you allowed someone in the portal to come back but not another. This isn't really in reference to Clif, but just my general opinion.

I get what you're saying, and I agree with it in theory. I just don't think we will ever see the type of "commitment" we might want to see when we play at this level anymore. I don't think it's wise to have a blanket policy that once you enter the portal you can never come back if the goal is to win. Like most things in life, I think it should be case by case. If an All-American WR wanted to move up and then changed his mind, it's a lot different than if a third string WR entered the portal and changed his mind.

I guess I view it a lot like playing time. It's pretty easy to explain to a bench player why he doesn't get as much playing time as the dude two spots above him on the depth chart. I think it would be equally easy to explain why you allowed someone in the portal to come back but not another. This isn't really in reference to Clif, but just my general opinion.
Does anyone think Bobby wouldn't have welcomed Samori Toure back, had he had a change of heart before going to Nebraska? He's not telling a surefire first team FCS All-American WR to go pound sand.

No hiring manager in his/her right mind would refuse to hire the most-qualified candidate for a position simply because that person left the firm for another opportunity previously.

We should take Cliff back = Throw out your principles depending on each circumstance.

Once you leave on you own volition you are permanently gone = we have principles and respect your choices.

Folks, your "we should take him back if he helps the team" manta ignores the intangible negative effect on those who remained loyal, and is a top line Cruzado policy that should stay east of the divide.

We should take Cliff back = Throw out your principles depending on each circumstance.

Once you leave on you own volition you are permanently gone = we have principles and respect your choices.

Folks, your "we should take him back if he helps the team" manta ignores the intangible negative effect on those who remained loyal, and is a top line Cruzado policy that should stay east of the divide.
What I'm trying to say is that we might need to take a look at our "principles" if those are what they are. The "if he helps the team" mantra 100% takes into account any potential negative effect thereon. Players would have to be on board. No player can "help the team" if his teammates don't like/respect him. I hope this makes sense.

The Bozeman State analogy isn't sound. Nobody committed a crime.

What I'm trying to say is that we might need to take a look at our "principles" if those are what they are. The "if he helps the team" mantra 100% takes into account any potential negative effect thereon. Players would have to be on board. No player can "help the team" if his teammates don't like/respect him. I hope this makes sense.

The Bozeman State analogy isn't sound. Nobody committed a crime.
"Win at all costs" encompasses far more than just criminal conduct, such as riding two athletes as a running QB into the ground with serious physical injuries.

Cliff chose to leave, coaches moved on. The "help the team" mantra is meaningless assuming they signed another kid they believe will also 'help the team". I also don't think the coaches need the approval of the players in this case. Boat sailed, good luck to Cliff.

Cliff chose to leave, coaches moved on. The "help the team" mantra is meaningless assuming they signed another kid they believe will also 'help the team". I also don't think the coaches need the approval of the players in this case. Boat sailed, good luck to Cliff.
How many seasons have we had a healthy starting QB for the entire year recently? There could be behind the scenes issues nobody knows, but I think it's a good thing to have options in a general sense. Seemed to work out pretty well last season . . .

Last edited:
Does anyone think Bobby wouldn't have welcomed Samori Toure back, had he had a change of heart before going to Nebraska? He's not telling a surefire first team FCS All-American WR to go pound sand.
It might depend on how he left. Did he discuss his views with the coach in advance? Did he ask in advance if he could come back? Did he have a special circumstance? am not so so sure ST would have been welcomed back. It I would set a bad precedent, in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back