• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Murray out for 2018 season!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an interesting "what if" question: What if Murray had already used his redshirt? How much would that change what will happen? The chances he starts another game for the cats at qb just went WAY down. Would he have stayed on the team without a redshirt?

Also, what are the rules regarding practices etc? Is he allowed to participate in team activities?

MTGRZ said:
As an interesting "what if" question: What if Murray had already used his redshirt? How much would that change what will happen? The chances he starts another game for the cats at qb just went WAY down. Would he have stayed on the team without a redshirt?

Also, what are the rules regarding practices etc? Is he allowed to participate in team activities?

I'm old but I think when we had an ineligible player he didn't practice with us once he found out, but did the next year when he finally got grades up.

MTGRZ said:

Nope he is not allowed to participate in team activities

People need to stop referring to it as a “redshirt year.” Especially Mr Chode. So misleading.

Redshirts get to practice, run scout team, etc. This year they get to play in 4 games. Os’8 can’t do any of that. He’s basically got the same team status as any of us. Hell Chump has more of a connection to the team than he does

I think it’s more accurate to say he was kicked off the team.

garizzalies said:
People need to stop referring to it as a “redshirt year.” Especially Mr Chode. So misleading.

Redshirts get to practice, run scout team, etc. This year they get to play in 4 games. Os’8 can’t do any of that. He’s basically got the same team status as any of us. Hell Chump has more of a connection to the team than he does

Yes the fact that they didn’t come out and call it what it is....academically eligible... is kind of a head scratcher. I have cat buddies who are saying things like “I’m so glad our coach puts academics first” and I’m trying to help them understand Choate did not have a choice. I agree, them making it look like some kind of forced red shirt to focus on academics is very misleading

HookedonGriz said:
garizzalies said:

Yes the fact that they didn’t come out and call it what it is....academically eligible... is kind of a head scratcher. I have cat buddies who are saying things like “I’m so glad our coach puts academics first” and I’m trying to help them understand Choate did not have a choice. I agree, them making it look like some kind of forced red shirt to focus on academics is very misleading

Don’t really disagree with either of you on this. Pretty straight forward, although it’s interesting that the term academically ineligible has not actually appeared anywhere in the statements or interviews so far. Just that it’s an academic issue, and he’s taking the year off to focus on grades. Reading between the lines its pretty clear he’s ineligible, but why that word hasn’t specifically been used yet is unknown.

As far as RS goes, it’s not a traditional RS in the fact that he can’t participate in team activities and isn’t really a part of the team at all. But the fact that he has a RS available, I believe this would be counted as a de facto RS and he’d still have 2 years of eligibility IF he were to come back to the team.
If he had already used a RS and this happened, I believe he’d lose a year of eligibility and only have 1 year remaining IF he came back.

I don’t know the RS and eligibility rules well enough, so I could absolutely be wrong. That is just my understanding of it through talking to some friends about it. So before PR comes in and calls me an idiot for the 50th time, I’m not stating this as fact.
Anyone know if that’s the case or how that would play out for years remaining?

Catsrgrood said:
HookedonGriz said:
garizzalies said:

Don’t really disagree with either of you on this. Pretty straight forward, although it’s interesting that the term academically ineligible has not actually appeared anywhere in the statements or interviews so far. Just that it’s an academic issue, and he’s taking the year off to focus on grades. Reading between the lines its pretty clear he’s ineligible, but why that word hasn’t specifically been used yet is unknown.

As far as RS goes, it’s not a traditional RS in the fact that he can’t participate in team activities and isn’t really a part of the team at all. But the fact that he has a RS available, I believe this would be counted as a de facto RS and he’d still have 2 years of eligibility IF he were to come back to the team.
If he had already used a RS and this happened, I believe he’d lose a year of eligibility and only have 1 year remaining IF he came back.

I don’t know the RS and eligibility rules well enough, so I could absolutely be wrong. That is just my understanding of it through talking to some friends about it. So before PR comes in and calls me an idiot for the 50th time, I’m not stating this as fact.
Anyone know if that’s the case or how that would play out for years remaining?

You are absolutely correct on the red shirt part. A player always has 5 years to play 4 so that redshirt can be used during any of that time. That’s why folks get fired up when someone says “the coach burned a red shirt” on a true freshman because that’s not technically true as that red shirt is still available later on. Jordan Johnson is a good example of this

First and foremost, this is a sad situation for Murray and I really don't care for jokes about his academic performance or mental capabilities. The kid could have learning disabilities, family issues, etc. Give him a break. Sad that anyone would take joy in a kid struggling.
Secondly, I don't care who the Cants put under center. That player is going to have a pretty big learning curve. Anyone who has played the game and that position in particular understands the uphill battle the Cats will face this year. The Griz are in a much better situation, which amazes me. Bobby and staff pulled in two serviceable players to back up Sneed (if he is the guy) and they did it in a hurry.
Last, but not least - I predict the passing game will not flourish this year in Bozo. Choate and company will stay conservative and run the ball consistently. Their offense is going to struggle and they will be one dimensional. They have a good O line, but no experience at QB. Ground and pound

Couple things:
1) as stated before in this thread, the words "academically ineligible " have not been mentioned in an official correspondence, and
2) it's been stated that the coaches and the team have known this was the case for a while, yet Murray has shown up in recent teams activities such as the run up Petes Hill.

Right now I believe that this internal to the team and is not elevated to the University or NCAA with respect to his academic eligibility. Until something official is put forth that says different, then Murray will get a true RS year and participate in all team activities. It may change, but as of now, that's my conclusion.

Copper Griz said:
First and foremost, this is a sad situation for Murray and I really don't care for jokes about his academic performance or mental capabilities. The kid could have learning disabilities, family issues, etc. Give him a break. Sad that anyone would take joy in a kid struggling.
Secondly, I don't care who the Cants put under center. That player is going to have a pretty big learning curve. Anyone who has played the game and that position in particular understands the uphill battle the Cats will face this year. The Griz are in a much better situation, which amazes me. Bobby and staff pulled in two serviceable players to back up Sneed (if he is the guy) and they did it in a hurry.
Last, but not least - I predict the passing game will not flourish this year in Bozo. Choate and company will stay conservative and run the ball consistently. Their offense is going to struggle and they will be one dimensional. They have a good O line, but no experience at QB. Ground and pound
Actually the Cats have a very nice recent history with Freshmen QBs playing their first season and first Cat/grizz game. Particularly when their first game is in Missoula.

ABQCat said:
Copper Griz said:
Actually the Cats have a very nice recent history with Freshmen QBs playing their first season and first Cat/grizz game. Particularly when their first game is in Missoula.

Unfortunately the Griz had a freshman DC who had his head up his ass as well. I am not sure that will be the case this year. DM would be the exception. He was damn good.

Copper Griz said:
ABQCat said:
Copper Griz said:

Unfortunately the Griz had a freshman DC who had his head up his ass as well. I am not sure that will be the case this year. DM would be the exception. He was damn good.

Lulay, McGhee and Murray all won in Missoula as freshmen. Not sure the Semore narrative that's often called upon over here holds any water. Now I'm wondering if any freshman QB for the Cats have ever been beat in Missoula.

ABQCat said:
Couple things:
1) as stated before in this thread, the words "academically ineligible " have not been mentioned in an official correspondence, and
2) it's been stated that the coaches and the team have known this was the case for a while, yet Murray has shown up in recent teams activities such as the run up Petes Hill.

Right now I believe that this internal to the team and is not elevated to the University or NCAA with respect to his academic eligibility. Until something official is put forth that says different, then Murray will get a true RS year and participate in all team activities. It may change, but as of now, that's my conclusion.
Don’t think so.
Being eligible is kind of like being pregnant. Either you are or you aren’t.
And you can’t hide it forever

garizzalies said:
ABQCat said:
Couple things:

Don’t think so.
You're probably right. I reread my post and it had a PR feel to it, and it caused a small dry heave. Bottom line: he's not getting the job done in the classroom and now he's not playing.

garizzalies said:
ABQCat said:
Couple things:

Don’t think so.
Choate said it would be a redshift year in the press conference.

I thought he said treat it like a redshirt year, not that he is a redshirt.
If not, then there must be a difference between a “redshirt year” and a “redshirt player” in Ole Chote-y-Chode’s mind

ABQCat said:
garizzalies said:
ABQCat said:
Couple things:

Don’t think so.
You're probably right. I reread my post and it had a PR feel to it, and it caused a small dry heave. Bottom line: he's not getting the job done in the classroom and now he's not playing.
It happens. #metoo
As for the things like the run up Pee’s Hill, one way for you Cat People to keep it straight in your head would be to ask yourself if Chump could do it?
Could Chump run up Pee’s Hill with the team? Yeah probably.
Could Chump run the scout team O? I’m not sure your offense is a little weird to me, but I don’t think so.
So in a way Os’8 is your new Chump meow.

Catsrgrood said:
Thank you PR for clarifying that you don’t agree with me. I know sarcasm doesn’t come across well through text but I was most definitely being saracastic, you have made it abundantly clear you don’t agree with most things I say. Or with most things anyone else says for that matter.

Besides my initial post, which I admitted and owned wasn’t great and came out wrong, I have not claimed that the Griz and Cats QB’s are equal at this point. The Griz have more game day experience coming into this season at the QB position right now, that much is a fact, one that I’ve stated a few times and agree with you and others on. But you still seem to try and make it sound like I’m arguing against that.

Sneed is a JUCO transfer, no matter how many times you bring up that he was at UNLV first, it doesn’t change the fact that he was JUCO last year. Nothing wrong with that. A lot of JUCO guys were FBS first, didn’t work out and then are on their 3rd school in their 3rd or 4th year of college.

So... again...regardless of games started, where they were first, etc. Both teams are relying on a combination of JUCO transfers and young guys to compete at QB this year. A year removed from both teams thinking that the QB position was figured out for the next couple years.

I’m sure you’ll have some response about me still being wrong on these simple, undeniable facts, but this is my last post on it.

UM's leading qb in the spring came played at a JC last year, but also started 6 games for an FBS the year before. So, in my view, UM isn't relying on a JC. He has 3 years of experience, one as a redshirt, and 2 years starting. MSU's JC has never had a D-I snap, nor was he even the main starter at his JC, apparently.

It wasn't just your first post that was wrong. So were these:

"My main point is really more that neither team knows much about their QB’s right now heading into the season. JUCO transfers and young unproven players on both squads."

"My statement was both teams have mainly JUCO transfers and young unproven players at QB right now so it’s hard to really know what they have."

Without Murray I doubt the Cats beat the Griz the past 2 seasons. This is a stroke of good luck for Hauck and Co. Too bad for Murray - he was slowly developing his passing to go along with his sick running and making something out of nothing skills.

garizzalies said:
ABQCat said:
garizzalies said:
ABQCat said:
Couple things:

Don’t think so.
It happens. #metoo
As for the things like the run up Pee’s Hill, one way for you Cat People to keep it straight in your head would be to ask yourself if Chump could do it?
Could Chump run up Pee’s Hill with the team? Yeah probably.
Could Chump run the scout team O? I’m not sure your offense is a little weird to me, but I don’t think so.
So in a way Os’8 is your new Chump meow.
Yes? Go on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back