• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Naseem Gaskin Commits!

Man, there are some great guards that come out of Oakland! Travis seems to know about them all.
Jason Kidd (CAL), Damian Lillard(WEBER); and for MONTANA- Will Cherry, Mario Dunn Jr., Sayeed Pridgett, and now Gaskin.

rocklobster said:
I wonder if Larry K didn't have space for him on the Utah roster this year, and may have been talking to Travis about him transferring here. Probably didn't hurt.

Utah was just placed on two years probation by the NCAA for a recruiting violation. I wonder if this didn't play into things.

GrizWhiz said:
rocklobster said:
I wonder if Larry K didn't have space for him on the Utah roster this year, and may have been talking to Travis about him transferring here. Probably didn't hurt.

Utah was just placed on two years probation by the NCAA for a recruiting violation. I wonder if this didn't play into things.

More on this story:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/07/31/monson-waiting-larry/

Thanks for the link, citay. This is an excellent perspective by Mr. Monson surveying the very complicated issue in D1 hoops regarding transfers nowadays. Regretably, the current atmosphere at Utah probes into causes that hint at other issues. As quoted: "The sheer numbers might not tell the whole story, but, altogether, they tell a portion of it, a big enough portion to fire off a warning signal."

I'm certainly hoping that things get positively settled at Utah. Soon.

WaGriz4life said:
Will have to sit out a year unless he has a hardship (which the NCAA has gotten loose on). Either way looks like a talented player. If Travis is happy, I’m happy!

Looks like the Utes are facing possible NCAA sanctions... Usually that helps with getting immediate eligibility 🤞

rocklobster said:

That is not the case. Utah has experienced a mass exodus of players in the last year...6 leaving, I believe. They're facing NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations

casewinter13 said:
rocklobster said:

That is not the case. Utah has experienced a mass exodus of players in the last year...6 leaving, I believe. They're facing NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations

Here's an update from the SLC Deseret News that fully explains the sanctions.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900083026/utah-athletic-director-mark-harlan-expresses-confidence-in-larry-krystkowiak-staff-despite-ncaa-sanctions.html

grizzlyjournal said:
casewinter13 said:
rocklobster said:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900083026/utah-athletic-director-mark-harlan-expresses-confidence-in-larry-krystkowiak-staff-despite-ncaa-sanctions.html

Thanks all! I had no idea!

This kid is going to be fun to watch! Travis is providing a great product. Time to consistently fill the seats.

That's huge. When he was coming out of high school he was at the top of Montana's list. Pays off to build strong relationships

grizzlyjournal said:
casewinter13 said:
rocklobster said:

Interesting article, but does that have anything to do with the 6 recent departures or Gaskins coming to UM?

rocklobster said:
dayday said:
I think he has a decent chance at a hardship waiver because Utah got put on sanctions.

Would be nice to have him this year for more depth.

Boy it's going to be a wild start of the season to figure out who's playing by conference time.

Good player him and timmy played AAU ball together if he is allowed to play this season those
Two on the break will lead to some exciting plays
For sure.

Naseem and Timmy played on Team Arsenal for 3 seasons priors to Graduating. Also recalled Naseen had an Offer with UofMt prior to deciding on the Utah decision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCDNkr7UavQ

Latest posts

Back