• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Naseem Gaskin Commits!

So, here's my question.

Except for this Board, and the link to Instagram, I've not seen, read or heard any official announcement that he is indeed transferring to Montana--not in the Missoulian, 406 Sports, Verbal Commits, GoGriz, or either of the Salt Lake papers.

Is this one of those things you're..not..supposed..to..talk..about.

whisper....you're not supposed to talk about...

citay said:
So, here's my question.

Except for this Board, and the link to Instagram, I've not seen, read or heard any official announcement that he is indeed transferring to Montana--not in the Missoulian, 406 Sports, Verbal Commits, GoGriz, or either of the Salt Lake papers.

Is this one of those things you're..not..supposed..to..talk..about.

whisper....you're not supposed to talk about...

Well the athletic department usually won’t announce transfers until they have enrolled or signed their scholarship paperwork. Hansen with the Missoulian tweeted about it but he’s probably waiting for official word from the school or player until doing an article.

Travis has something up his sleeve! A bigger guy in the middle-I bet-and were all gonna be blown away by this when it’s announced! I have sources who know absolutely nothing, and am purely speculating...but I have sources I can’t reveal...’cause they don’t exist! Still, it’ll happen!

rocklobster said:
Travis has something up his sleeve! A bigger guy in the middle-I bet-and were all gonna be blown away by this when it’s announced! I have sources who know absolutely nothing, and am purely speculating...but I have sources I can’t reveal...’cause they don’t exist! Still, it’ll happen!

I think alot of egriz posters have sources who don't exist. Good one.

PlayerRep said:
rocklobster said:

:thumb:

They have the same sources I have, only mine-who don’t exist-know more than their delusional sources! But mine are at least reliable, delusional sources, who have the inside track, and know absolutely nothing! I stand by my sources though-that would be me!

rocklobster said:
PlayerRep said:
rocklobster said:

They have the same sources I have, only mine-who don’t exist-know more than their delusional sources! But mine are at least reliable, delusional sources, who have the inside track, and know absolutely nothing! I stand by my sources though-that would be me!
Well I have high friends in low places and they say....

fanofzoo said:
rocklobster said:
PlayerRep said:
rocklobster said:

Well I have high friends in low places and they say....

Please don’t reveal them man! You said you wouldn’t! They might tell everyone nothing we don’t know about!

Here is the actual link to the announcement of Gaskin Commitment:

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/university-of-utah-transfer-commits-to-montana-men-s-basketball/article_e3b15926-767a-58a8-9ceb-09e66c5963a4.html

TrueGriz said:
Here is the actual link to the announcement of Gaskin Commitment:

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/university-of-utah-transfer-commits-to-montana-men-s-basketball/article_e3b15926-767a-58a8-9ceb-09e66c5963a4.html

Friggin’ awesome!

I hope he can keep that positive attitude when he is hit by the reality that 1100 is considered a good crowd at SUU or North Colorado.....I think keeping good kids focused is probably the hardest part of coaching.

GrizLA said:
I hope he can keep that positive attitude when he is hit by the reality that 1100 is considered a good crowd at SUU or North Colorado.....I think keeping good kids focused is probably the hardest part of coaching.

He looks like a better prospect than the BYU kid! And we get him for more years!

PlayerRep said:
Heard he's a great kid and good athlete, plays a bit like Will Cherry, will probably have to sit a year.

If he’s anything like Will Cherry or Sayeed Pridgett, we’ve got ourselves another all BSC kid for three years! Losing Hardnett and Miller may be a blessing in disguise (so cliche!)!

fanofzoo said:
Out of curiosity now that we have 16 guards who is left to rebound ?

We have only four guards of the ten eligible. We have more than four dribblers, playmakers, and shooters as well as more than six rebounders. Traditional roles have evolved with today’s spacing, and for this team, the offense will largely go through Pridgett even though many would consider him a forward. That said, it would be nice to have a 6’10” center, like the one redshirting.

Larry K. is one of our own, and legendary at that. Way back in the day, I remember talking to a player from the University of Idaho who faced Krysko several times during his career there--and he dreaded each meeting. While I don't recall his exact summation of the experience, I do remember two words he used to describe Krysko: "mean" and "elbows." Of course, as a coach, Krysko led us to within one half of a Sweet 16 appearance--miraculous for a mid-major like Montana.

So I retain an interest in his coaching career, as I'm sure we all do. And while losing players is not always bad, and nobody here would ever criticize Travis for the players that have left our program, nonetheless, losing six in one year is quite unusual. And I am just as mystified as many of the Salt Lake beat writers as to why this is happening. Three of those transfers went to high-profile programs--UNLV, New Mexico and Marquette--while I think there can be no question Gaskin is a Pac12-quality guard. It's not as if Krysko is cutting out the dead wood. And remember, he recruited these players in the first place.

So it was with intense interest that I read Gaskin's quotes about the transfer, looking for clues. Did I find any? I did not. It seems he loved to watch the football program there. Learned a lot from the older players. Was drawn by the "allure" of playing in the Pac12. And despite the fact he "tried to stick it out," he finally realized it was "time to move on" because it would be "better for him."

In journalism there are the five W's--Who, What, Where, When and Why. In Gaskin's case, we have the first four--just not the Why. And that remains a huge mystery to me.

Good post and good questions. While I don't know, I would guess that he decided to go where he felt he could get on the court sooner and play a bigger role sooner. Again just guessing, perhaps he felt that he had too many guys in front of him at Utah next season, or beyond. Because of the prior relationships and recruiting, he had a built in safe place with alot of opening at point guard. As I said, I've heard he's a good kid and am excited for him to join the Griz. Hope he is able to get a waiver. Assume the Utah coaches would support that, but, of course, don't know.

TrueGriz said:
dayday said:
Still no official announcement?

It has been announced in mid august. link is in post further up.

Show me where on GoGriz.com where it was officially announced. Missoulian is not the athletic department

Latest posts

Back