• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NAU

Grizfan-24 said:
I don't mind the shooting of the 3's. This team is vastly better shooting them, most of the time, and unlike last year the threes are coming organically in the offense. The problem with this offense, is that they are still prone to unbelievable dry spells where they can find the bottom of the basket. They have had two protracted dry spells in this game, both about 5 minutes in length. They have had 6 shots in the past 3 minutes that were point blank misses. Its just ugly, but it isn't like their shot selection has been poor.
That latest dry spell: one made basket between 9:18 and 3:07 left in the game. Hard to explain.

Nice road win for the Griz for a road sweep. And with only 4 more road games this season, the schedule should look favorable.

IdaGriz01 said:
MikeyGriz said:
Riley just said we are in the bottom 5 in the country in offensive rebounds?!! :shock:
Not quite that bad, according to NCAA stats. But really, really bad anyway ... like #339 out of 350. Air Force is at the bottom, in case you were wondering.

Traditionally Travis’s teams are generally bad offensive rebounders (except ‘18). But not this bad. I wonder if Travis puts an emphasis on transition D which would hurt O rebounding.

IdaGriz01 said:
Grizfan-24 said:
I don't mind the shooting of the 3's. This team is vastly better shooting them, most of the time, and unlike last year the threes are coming organically in the offense. The problem with this offense, is that they are still prone to unbelievable dry spells where they can find the bottom of the basket. They have had two protracted dry spells in this game, both about 5 minutes in length. They have had 6 shots in the past 3 minutes that were point blank misses. Its just ugly, but it isn't like their shot selection has been poor.
That latest dry spell: one made basket between 9:18 and 3:07 left in the game. Hard to explain.

Didn't both teams have a couple of 5+ minute scoring droughts this game?

Yes, I took another No-Doze after the second one. It may be a endemic problem when one reads the word ugly so many times after basketball games. Another win, which should mollify the fan base. But we are light years away from competing with any of the top 100 teams in the country

MikeyGriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Didn't both teams have a couple of 5+ minute scoring droughts this game?
They both did some scoring droughts. NAU went almost 6 min without a score from around 12:40 to 7:05 in the first half. Then they didn't score for the last minute or so of that half, plus the first 3 min of the second.

LaJollaGriz said:
Yes, I took another No-Doze after the second one. It may be a endemic problem when one reads the word ugly so many times after basketball games. Another win, which should mollify the fan base. But we are light years away from competing with any of the top 100 teams in the country

Better not watch a Kris Brown run offense in football then. You’d die from caffeine overdose with all the no-doze you’d take.

I was looking at flights out of Phoenix. Makes me wonder if they have any chance to get back to Missoula today. I suppose they could make a flight that departed around 8 o’clock or a bit later, but there’s literally nothing that would get them in until tomorrow afternoon. (multiple stops, of course). I would guess they’ll stay in Phoenix tonight (or Flagstaff?) and then travel tomorrow by way of Salt Lake.

GrizBall said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Not quite that bad, according to NCAA stats. But really, really bad anyway ... like #339 out of 350. Air Force is at the bottom, in case you were wondering.

Traditionally Travis’s teams are generally bad offensive rebounders (except ‘18). But not this bad. I wonder if Travis puts an emphasis on transition D which would hurt O rebounding.

I think that’s exactly what’s going on. It seems pretty clear they are being told to dive back on D after the shot to prevent transition baskets.

GrizBall said:
IdaGriz01 said:

In the past they always had a good rebounding guard, but they haven't had that guy the last couple seasons.

People always gotta bitch even if the Griz men and women go four and 0 for the weekend. Thursday night wasn’t pretty for the men but they won despite not playing very well. Today they were vastly improved despite having a tough trip from PDX to PHX. They looked much more energized today. Truth is NAU is not a very good bb team.

I managed to watch the men on ESPN+ on my tv and the women on my iPad. Two for one. Men pretty much controlled their game while the ladies played a good NAU women’s team and came away with a well executed game plan. It’s hard to believe that with a few exceptions this is the same women’s team that languished in the bottom half of the league for several years. It’s amazing what a change in leadership can make. I just hope we can keep Brian around for at least 5 years. It certainly looks like the women’s team is back. The upcoming game against the cats will tell a lot as to the how far we’ve come in a single year. It’s too bad this is Sophie’s senior year. She is a great floor leader.

It’s unfortunate that Shannon’s tenure ended the way it did, she was a great player but I think she got some bad advice to sue her alma mater. I don’t it’s going to end well even if she walks away with some money her legacy will be tarnished forever in my opinion.

Sport said:
People always gotta bitch even if the Griz men and women go four and 0 for the weekend. Thursday night wasn’t pretty for the men but they won despite not playing very well. Today they were vastly improved despite having a tough trip from PDX to PHX. They looked much more energized today. Truth is NAU is not a very good bb team.

I managed to watch the men on ESPN+ on my tv and the women on my iPad. Two for one. Men pretty much controlled their game while the ladies played a good NAU women’s team and came away with a well executed game plan. It’s hard to believe that with a few exceptions this is the same women’s team that languished in the bottom half of the league for several years. It’s amazing what a change in leadership can make. I just hope we can keep Brian around for at least 5 years. It certainly looks like the women’s team is back. The upcoming game against the cats will tell a lot as to the how far we’ve come in a single year. It’s too bad this is Sophie’s senior year. She is a great floor leader.

It’s unfortunate that Shannon’s tenure ended the way it did, she was a great player but I think she got some bad advice to sue her alma mater. I don’t it’s going to end well even if she walks away with some money her legacy will be tarnished forever in my opinion.

Haven't heard anything on the case, maybe she is seeing it's best to just fade away.

fanofzoo said:
Sport said:

Haven't heard anything on the case, maybe she is seeing it's best to just fade away.

I'm betting she's getting a lot of locals up and turning around and avoiding her who used to love to chat with her.... I do and have several times since the law suit went public.
The look on her face says I'm just one of many.
she built the hole she's in....

IdaGriz01 said:
I was looking at flights out of Phoenix. Makes me wonder if they have any chance to get back to Missoula today. I suppose they could make a flight that departed around 8 o’clock or a bit later, but there’s literally nothing that would get them in until tomorrow afternoon. (multiple stops, of course). I would guess they’ll stay in Phoenix tonight (or Flagstaff?) and then travel tomorrow by way of Salt Lake.

Unless they’re flying Allegiant out of Mesa/Gateway.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizBall said:

In the past they always had a good rebounding guard, but they haven't had that guy the last couple seasons.

Yep. Next highest after Bannon’s 8.1 is Parker’s 3.4. That ain’t gonna get it done.

astutegriz said:
LaJollaGriz said:

Better not watch a Kris Brown run offense in football then. You’d die from caffeine overdose with all the no-doze you’d take.

ISWYDT.... :lol:

PeauxRouge said:
GrizBall said:

I think that’s exactly what’s going on. It seems pretty clear they are being told to dive back on D after the shot to prevent transition baskets.

Even on the weak side no one sticks around to try and get a long miss....

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Yep. Next highest after Bannon’s 8.1 is Parker’s 3.4. That ain’t gonna get it done.

I think we may be talking about a couple of different concepts. Yes, guards like Sayeed, Oguine and even Rorie were excellent rebounders for guards (and by far the exception as guards go). But pretty much any defensive scheme doesn’t want guards offensive rebounding. I am not sure any of those guards materially impacted offensive rebounding.

However, they definitely impacted the other teams ability to get offensive rebounds.

1. Great day to be a GRIZZLY!

2. Road wins are tough; road sweeps are gold.

3. Great job LG!

4. GRIZ clearly had tired legs from the travel/schedule/altitude. I’ve never seen so many misses just short off front iron. Excellent job to overcome it.

5. TDC has his team sacrifice offensive boards to play defense. They’re one of the top 30 teams in the nation in efficiency per possession. It makes complete sense then to focus on the D end.

6. Mitch is still great.

7. 736?? What the fuuuuuuuck are we doing in this conference??!

Back