• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAA changes coming

ilovethecats said:
SoldierGriz said:
It will be interesting to see over time how many players actually improve their situation after they enter the portal. I did see some anecdotal stats recently that indicated the vast majority do not. I can't remember where I saw it? Anyone know?

It would be fairly to easy gauge from a football standpoint. But everyone needs to remember that every kid entering the portal isn't doing so strictly for football reasons. There could be a kid that enters the portal, transfers to another team, and is suddenly buried down the depth chart. Fans will look and say what a failure it was.

However, maybe the kid wanted to be closer to home. Maybe they had an ill family member they got to spend time with before they passed away. Maybe they went to be closer to a girlfriend and are now engaged. Maybe they left toxic relationships at the first school only to make blossoming friendships at their second school. Maybe the decision was almost completely based on academics rather than athletics.

Not saying you SG, but I think fans get caught up in the portal and sometimes forget these are just human beings doing what they feel is best, and it might hardly be related to athletics at all.

Particularly those who have graduated. I get it...just wondering if this is a grass is greener thing for some/many.

ilovethecats said:
However, maybe the kid wanted to be closer to home. Maybe they had an ill family member they got to spend time with before they passed away. Maybe they went to be closer to a girlfriend and are now engaged. Maybe they left toxic relationships at the first school only to make blossoming friendships at their second school. Maybe the decision was almost completely based on academics rather than athletics.
Maybe they dislike Bozeman.

SoldierGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
It would be fairly to easy gauge from a football standpoint. But everyone needs to remember that every kid entering the portal isn't doing so strictly for football reasons. There could be a kid that enters the portal, transfers to another team, and is suddenly buried down the depth chart. Fans will look and say what a failure it was.

Not saying you SG, but I think fans get caught up in the portal and sometimes forget these are just human beings doing what they feel is best, and it might hardly be related to athletics at all.

Particularly those who have graduated. I get it...just wondering if this is a grass is greener thing for some/many.

Probably most but life is full of many crossroads for us all. I’d be willing to bet less the 5% of Americans have a mapped out blueprint of their life they’re able to follow from the age of 18 until they retire. Sometimes tuff choices have to be made.

alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:

Probably most but life is full of many crossroads for us all. I’d be willing to bet less the 5% of Americans have a mapped out blueprint of their life they’re able to follow from the age of 18 until they retire. Sometimes tuff choices have to be made.

How did you know her name, who told ?

kemajic said:
ilovethecats said:
Exactly.

Session is a perfect example. Just didn't like it here. Would have been a starter the next three years. Just signed with Cal. Will he start three years there? I have no idea. But maybe he doesn't care. Maybe he barely plays the next three years but is very happy where he's at. In my mind that would be a success.

I like the town trash talk though. Like I think every person alive should just LOVE Bozeman. :lol: :thumb:

ilovethecats said:
kemajic said:
Like I think every person alive should just LOVE Bozeman. :lol: :thumb:
Not much of a fan, but at least it's not Billings :thumb:

With all these Montana city discussions, we should all make a public service and rank our top and bottom 5 MT towns in our signatures to unclutter these important offseason discussions about pizza and toughness. :coffee:

ilovethecats said:
kemajic said:
Exactly.

Session is a perfect example. Just didn't like it here. Would have been a starter the next three years. Just signed with Cal. Will he start three years there? I have no idea. But maybe he doesn't care. Maybe he barely plays the next three years but is very happy where he's at. In my mind that would be a success.

I like the town trash talk though. Like I think every person alive should just LOVE Bozeman. :lol: :thumb:

I do love Bozeman...........................in the rear-view mirror! :lol:

I’m going to say something I’ll probably regret: I don’t mind Bozeman. It reminds me of every other major town in Montana. I’m sure the 6 months of snow sucks, but it’s not like the other towns in the state are the Riviera during that time. IDK, seems like a normal town to me, but it has a football program that I despise with every ounce of my being.

CDAGRIZ said:
I’m going to say something I’ll probably regret: I don’t mind Bozeman. It reminds me of every other major town in Montana. I’m sure the 6 months of snow sucks, but it’s not like the other towns in the state are the Riviera during that time. IDK, seems like a normal town to me, but it has a football program that I despise with every ounce of my being.

You need a time out in the corner so you can think about what you just did!! :shock:

MikeyGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

You need a time out in the corner so you can think about what you just did!! :shock:

Probably.

CDAGRIZ said:
3-7-77 said:
Isaiah Wong talking about his 'highest level of integrity and character' is a joke. He has neither. Its kinds like being 'a little pregnant.' You are or you ain't.

Agreed. None of these kids should be looking out for themselves and/or trying to maximize returns. I’ve turned down many raises and job offers for more money because I’m loyal to this Kmart book section. I want the players to do the same. Head down, follow directions, don’t question anything, stop thinking. That’s what college is all about.

Agreed. Now with all his NIL money he can seek all the 'highest level of integrity and character' money can buy.
You live on the West Coast, eh? Do you commute to the Kmart nearest you, or can you shop on the internet?
"For now, Kmart stores in the continental U.S., continue to operate in Westwood, New Jersey; Bridgehampton, on New York's Long Island; and Miami, Florida." From Google, Apr 11, 2022.

3-7-77 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Agreed. None of these kids should be looking out for themselves and/or trying to maximize returns. I’ve turned down many raises and job offers for more money because I’m loyal to this Kmart book section. I want the players to do the same. Head down, follow directions, don’t question anything, stop thinking. That’s what college is all about.

Agreed. Now with all his NIL money he can seek all the 'highest level of integrity and character' money can buy.
You live on the West Coast, eh? Do you commute to the Kmart nearest you, or can you shop on the internet?
"For now, Kmart stores in the continental U.S., continue to operate in Westwood, New Jersey; Bridgehampton, on New York's Long Island; and Miami, Florida." From Google, Apr 11, 2022.

Mine has been closed for 11 years, but I still show up and work for the love of the game. These college kids don’t get it. They should entertain me for free exactly when and how I want. I worked my butt off for 35 hours a week to be able to afford a four-bedroom house for $24k when I was 23 and they should do the same. They probably don’t even know what a bootstrap is.

I cross checked two terms, extortion and NIL, and came up with this article:

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2022/5/4/23056150/coming-to-a-campus-near-you-the-nil-extortion-racket

You lawyers out there want to chime in on the difference between the two?
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck... :eek:

3-7-77 said:
I cross checked two terms, extortion and NIL, and came up with this article:

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2022/5/4/23056150/coming-to-a-campus-near-you-the-nil-extortion-racket

You lawyers out there want to chime in on the difference between the two?
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck... :eek:

The author is a bit confused. Under most penal codes I've seen extortion (or blackmail) is a crime where one threatens some sort of harm (physical, financial, reputational, etc.) if a payment is not made. A player saying he'll switch schools because another one offered more money (completely legal now) is no more extortive than telling your boss you'll leave the company if it doesn't match because a competitor offered you better compensation (completely legal). The third-party beneficiary discussion in the article is a distinction without a difference in my opinion. If anyone attempts to prosecute these deals as extortion, they're going to have to take a look at a heck of a lot of employment contracts/negotiations that happen every day. The author even goes on to say that professional sports couldn't exist without contract negotiations but fails to point out any rules being broken.

In a sentence, someone simply "threatening" to help himself financially doesn't equate to threatening to harm another in any way. Now, if he said, "If you won't pay me this money, I am going to publicly trash this school, ruin its reputation, burn down your house, and marry your daughter." That could potentially be different. That's just my take on it. Could be wrong. Probably am.

One more thing on this article: Maybe the author touched on it, maybe not. If a HS recruit gets offered a partial or PWO from School A and a full scholarship from School B, so he approaches School A and says he's going to School B unless he gets a full scholarship from School A, is that extortion or just what happens all the time?

Back