• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NEW GRIZ: Johnny Barthel- OL Bellevue WA

PlayerRep said:
grizaremoregooder said:
Great pick up for the Griz! Bellevue is one of the best high school programs in the country. Welcome to Griz nation Johnny! Glad to see some beef.

My Bellevue relatives say the EWU has been getting Bellevue kids in recent times.
I hope coach Hauck and crew can snag some more of em!

He is a good get but it takes a couple years to turn a HS kid into a DI Olineman. Unless you put the kid on some juice, he will gain a maximum of 12 good pounds a year on a good strength training program. Sorry guys but that is about the limit. The strength coach is very important to the program and most players need some time to develop. NDSU takes this approach, give the players a couple years in an extensive strength program before they really make an impact. This notion that you're going to bring in a bunch of JC ready Olineman Is just plain pie in the sky.

He has great speed to second level, but my main question is— why no offers from local Wa. schools. The two FBS offer any local kids worthy and EWU takes the rest. What ever is left over CW gets so......... ?
I personally would be insulted if I were a local kid from MT in this years class or last years that had to walk on and this kid gets $

TrenchWar said:
He has great speed to second level, but my main question is— why no offers from local Wa. schools. The two FBS offer any local kids worthy and EWU takes the rest. What ever is left over CW gets so......... ?
I personally would be insulted if I were a local kid from MT in this years class or last years that had to walk on and this kid gets $

Are you related or close to any MT o-line recruits who haven't been offered yet?

Bellevue high is a big time football school that plays a lot of tough games. Way better than MT competition.

Seems to me the coaches know he isn't 300 pounds now but moves better than high school 300 pound guys so are willing to build an effective 300 pound guy in a couple years. This kid is not designed to play next fall and they are planning long term on this one. Short term fix (if they can get one) would be a JC or dropdown. I know I have not been impressed with mobility of many of the current linemen that were far bigger in high school. I think long term they are making a good move in getting frames that are athletic and building them up rather than big old softies just because they are 300 in high school.

David Reese was 270 when he came to UM, started 4 years, and was first team all Big Sky and 3d team all-American. That extra 10 pounds must have made him way better than this Bellevue kid.

PlayerRep said:
David Reese was 270 when he came to UM, started 4 years, and was first team all Big Sky and 3d team all-American. That extra 10 pounds must have made him way better than this Bellevue kid.

Started as a true freshman sure could have used him this year!

No I’m not related to any current or passed recruits PR. But I am a resident of this state and respect our talent.
What I said smart a$$ is “why no local offers” please read before you respond !
And as far as Bellevue talent I DONT CARE go to UW if your that good!

TrenchWar said:
No I’m not related to any current or passed recruits PR. But I am a resident of this state and respect our talent.

There are a lot of players that aren't regarded enough to be offered by UW that we would take and should continue to actively recruit. MSU got a pretty good RB from Bellevue last year that is doing alright... We've had a lot of success in the past recruiting Seattle area recruits in the past. Great to see that we are mining some talent over there again. Hope we can sign a few more athletic OL prospects.

Again.. read .. what FBS doesn’t take EWU does “why no local offer”
I wish him the best.
You guys need to read posts before you respond
And ......I think we have quality talent!

TrenchWar said:

Maybe you should read before you post.

Which MT o-lineman should have UM offers, in your view?

PlayerRep said:

I don't see anyone in this thread commenting on his talent level, or complaining he's too small. A few (including me) have joked about how he looks younger than his age, and I've commented that his highlight video is a lot of him taking on guys 60-70 lbs lighter than him; all I said was I'd like to see more film of him taking on the DE across the line from him...that's about it. the 10 pounds have nothing to do with it.

If that come across as "mean" or crass or whatever, well then sounds like some folks here need to grow a pair.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

I don't see anyone in this thread commenting on his talent level, or complaining he's too small. A few (including me) have joked about how he looks younger than his age, and I've commented that his highlight video is a lot of him taking on guys 60-70 lbs lighter than him; all I said was I'd like to see more film of him taking on the DE across the line from him...that's about it. the 10 pounds have nothing to do with it.

If that come across as "mean" or crass or whatever, well then sounds like some folks here need to grow a pair.
Beware of the defensive PC police!

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

I posted info on David Reese, his size, and how he did at UM. Pointed out he weighed 10 pounds more than this kid.

Note sure what the rest of your post is about. I didn't comment on you or your post. Am I in your head, or did you respond to the wrong post?

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

I posted info on David Reese, his size, and how he did at UM. Pointed out he weighed 10 pounds more than this kid.

Note sure what the rest of your post is about. I didn't comment on you or your post. Am I in your head, or did you respond to the wrong post?

Go read the thread. Try and keep up, old man.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Beware of the defensive PC police!

That post hit a little too close to home, old man?

grizzpa said:
What % of the flagship program - ndsu - are from North Dakota?

They have very few N.D. kids on the roster, probably because of limited talent. Especially if you consider the Mon/Dac games Montana talent is far superior.
They do in fact recruit locally being that Fargo is on the Minnesota border and they are loaded with MN players.
If the Griz want to match NDSU in talent with the Oline then they need to recruit the mid-west. Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin

Back