• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New hiring freeze at UM

Damn it! It's time to retool the delivery method and it's absolutely unfathomable to think UM is not on the leading edge of this type of program:
https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/mba/rankings#search-content

Of course many in the field realize the entire higher education model is about to get flipped:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/us/coronavirus-colleges-universities-admissions.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

ASU, Tempe has been leading public colleges in the off campus model. Gonna be a very tough slog for many, struggling public and private schools to retool and compete.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Here's another decent article by a relatively young instructor making the transition to online delivery:
https://www.ajc.com/blog/get-schooled/professor-most-students-failed-part-exam-new-online-format-problem-was-not-them/Hc7u0RAxGxG1fQ46KVGTfI/

Prior to my UM retirement I taught several distance classes to learning sites in Billings. It was so much the experience of this authors telling. It does take some acquisition of tech, presentations, and contact balance to make it a valued service to student audience. Camera awareness is just the beginning.

first11 said:
ASU, Tempe has been leading public colleges in the off campus model. Gonna be a very tough slog for many, struggling public and private schools to retool and compete.

Penn State and their educational leadership programs provide school administrators a viable option at a great price. I enjoyed working with all those administrators who got their certificates from there. They also have some of the highest PRAXIS scores among applicants.

first11 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Here's another decent article by a relatively young instructor making the transition to online delivery:
https://www.ajc.com/blog/get-schooled/professor-most-students-failed-part-exam-new-online-format-problem-was-not-them/Hc7u0RAxGxG1fQ46KVGTfI/

Prior to my UM retirement I taught several distance classes to learning sites in Billings. It was so much the experience of this authors telling. It does take some acquisition of tech, presentations, and contact balance to make it a valued service to student audience. Camera awareness is just the beginning.

For me, online classes seemed like a lot more effort than teaching in person. Having said that, I have never been very comfortable in front of large groups, and I think my online lectures were actually a bit better than my in-person lectures, because I was calmer, and a little less constrained by time. I always taught science courses, so going a bit slower probably helped the students, too.

Then there's the Montana State versus the University leg of the MUS effecting real change:

https://billingsgazette.com/news/local/msub-to-cut-82-more-programs-as-part-of-years-long-restructuring/article_dc61c0f0-16c9-58f8-bc79-b3dbd8728d12.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Then there's the Montana State versus the University leg of the MUS effecting real change:

https://billingsgazette.com/news/local/msub-to-cut-82-more-programs-as-part-of-years-long-restructuring/article_dc61c0f0-16c9-58f8-bc79-b3dbd8728d12.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1
Is the former Eastern Montana College of Education becoming a teacher’s college once again?

It seems to me that those football fans bemoaning the assumed resistance of the so called "academic swamp" to drastically increasing online college instruction versus classroom college instruction may want to reconsider their newfound support of the online model. Online instruction of the vast majority of college courses may be an inevitable trend but at what cost? Even assuming that some college courses unsuitable to online instruction remain on the brick and mortar campus, the radically diminished on campus student presence seems to me will lead to the death of college athletics. I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of today's student athletes are majoring in courses that may not require an on campus presence in the future. If that guess is true, how do you maintain college athletics without the athletes (I know, an obviously rhetorical question but still a pertinent one)?

There are many, many consequences that will flow from a system where the majority of college classes may migrate to online instruction and the consequences to college athletics is only one and likely not the most critical. But this is an athletics base board so..... Do all of you apparent "academic swamp" football fan haters still enthusiastically oppose the supposed "academic swamp" resistance to moving wholesale to online instruction?

Maybe I am missing something here and am completely off base with my reasoning. What say you all?

Plainsman said:
It seems to me that those football fans bemoaning the assumed resistance of the so called "academic swamp" to drastically increasing online college instruction versus classroom college instruction may want to reconsider their newfound support of the online model. Online instruction of the vast majority of college courses may be an inevitable trend but at what cost? Even assuming that some college courses unsuitable to online instruction remain on the brick and mortar campus, the radically diminished on campus student presence seems to me will lead to the death of college athletics. I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of today's student athletes are majoring in courses that may not require an on campus presence in the future. If that guess is true, how do you maintain college athletics without the athletes (I know, an obviously rhetorical question but still a pertinent one)?

There are many, many consequences that will flow from a system where the majority of college classes may migrate to online instruction and the consequences to college athletics is only one and likely not the most critical. But this is an athletics base board so..... Do all of you apparent "academic swamp" football fan haters still enthusiastically oppose the supposed "academic swamp" resistance to moving wholesale to online instruction?

Maybe I am missing something here and am completely off base with my reasoning. What say you all?

I believe the Super Bowl has been held a couple of times in the University of Phoenix' stadium? Let's get real while we're at it too. How many humanities dissertations are anything but a failed replication study anyway? That is to say, if you don't know what the hell you're talking about in academia just baffling kids with a pile of bullshit isn't going to hack it anymore and those schools with that ideal were in tough shape prior to the pandemic. Nothing but good is going to come out of a serious constricting of bureaucratic waste and elimination of layer upon layer of totally useless departments...like the CDC, FEMA and all the damn health agencies that can't decide who the hell should get facemasks in the federal government. Education is a bloated waste of money and Montana is perfect example of it.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Plainsman said:

I believe the Super Bowl has been held a couple of times in the University of Phoenix' stadium? Let's get real while we're at it too. How many humanities dissertations are anything but a failed replication study anyway? That is to say, if you don't know what the hell you're talking about in academia just baffling kids with a pile of bullshit isn't going to hack it anymore and those schools with that ideal were in tough shape prior to the pandemic. Nothing but good is going to come out of a serious constricting of bureaucratic waste and elimination of layer upon layer of totally useless departments...like the CDC, FEMA and all the damn health agencies that can't decide who the hell should get facemasks in the federal government. Education is a bloated waste of money and Montana is perfect example of it.

This does not address the issue I raised: The future of college athletics in a potential world of predominantly online college instruction. Just sayin'.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Plainsman said:

You do know that University of Phoenix Stadium was just called that because the on-line University of Phoenix bought the naming rights? There is no University of Phoenix football team, or any other sport. Your example does far more to support Plainsman's statement.

It is now called State Farm Stadium, University of Phoenix bailed 11 years into a 20 year deal citing financial difficulties.

Plainsman said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

This does not address the issue I raised: The future of college athletics in a potential world of predominantly online college instruction. Just sayin'.

I understand your thoughts. Look at our own conference through the years and to the Southern Conference if you will. Then, think of the University of Phoenix again. HUGE enrollment, great facilities and it does okay in spite of creative bookkeeping. Hell, when player rep was a kid Fort Lewis played in the Rose Bowl. In fact, he was one of those individuals who encouraged Teddy to give everything south of the Mason Dixon line to Mexico and wanted him to take over Canada. Thank god cooler heads prevailed and told him all Canada had were Canadians...

Spanky2 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Is the former Eastern Montana College of Education becoming a teacher’s college once again?
It's never advanced very far from that; it's predominantly a commuter city college - which a city the size of Billings can support.

Back