• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New TV Contract

Spanky2 said:
Why would a major network want to contract to carry Big Sky Conference games? Gentlemen, you are truly delusional to think the general population would have any interest.

These are the same people who can't understand why espn GameDay chose to cover the Ohio state-Michigan state game over Montana u -Montana state regular season game.

unless you are a native of Montana, somebody who currently lives in Montana or attended either Montana state or Montana u. 99% of the population don't give a rats ass about that game.

Cowboys84 said:
Spanky2 said:
Why would a major network want to contract to carry Big Sky Conference games? Gentlemen, you are truly delusional to think the general population would have any interest.

These are the same people who can't understand why espn GameDay chose to cover the Ohio state-Michigan state game over Montana u -Montana state regular season game.

unless you are a native of Montana, somebody who currently lives in Montana or attended either Montana state or Montana u. 99% of the population don't give a rats ass about that game.

Eh, I think there was a greater than zero chance of it happening. Game was in Missoula rather than Bozeman, so it would’ve shown a lot better. Plus they’ve actually been to Fargo before. Literally Fargo, North Dakota. So you know they don’t have very high standards.

Spanky2 said:

Spanks, no one is asking for NBC to preempt their Notre Dame coverage, or ESPN to boot the SEC prime time game.

But as I mentioned before, I can watch all manor of conferences and teams from my couch in seattle on CBSSN. Why can I watch DII games but not the bsc?

The focus should not be “why would anyone televise the bsc”, but rather, “why do we not hold the bsc accountable for putting out a product people want to watch”.

EverettGriz said:
Spanky2 said:

Spanks, no one is asking for NBC to preempt their Notre Dame coverage, or ESPN to boot the SEC prime time game.

But as I mentioned before, I can watch all manor of conferences and teams from my couch in seattle on CBSSN. Why can I watch DII games but not the bsc?

The focus should not be “why would anyone televise the bsc”, but rather, “why do we not hold the bsc accountable for putting out a product people want to watch”.
And that's fine Everett, but at the same time you can't be mad at the conference if they reached out to FS1 and CBSSN and expressed their interest in getting games on their stations. They did their job by reaching out, but there's nothing they can do if those stations aren't interested.

Griz til I die said:
EverettGriz said:

And that's fine Everett, but at the same time you can't be mad at the conference if they reached out to FS1 and CBSSN and expressed their interest in getting games on their stations. They did their job by reaching out, but there's nothing they can do if those stations aren't interested.

Well, assuming we conclude they did, yes, I agree.

But as I point out, that really shouldn't be the narrative. So many on here proclaim how happy they are in this conference. It simply seems to me that those people can't have it both ways. They can't claim, "hey this is great and where we belong", while simultaneously saying, "hey, the bsc sucks shit and that's why we can't even do what lesser fcs conferences do. Is what it is".

At some point, those of us who care have to make enough noise to get improvements made. It doesn't have to be "is what is" unless we continue to allow it.

Griz til I die said:
EverettGriz said:

I have a feeling it went like this:

BSC: Hey, you’re awesome and I think you smell really good. Now, I know you’re gonna say no, but hear me out. Wouldn’t it be crazy if you aired BSC games?

FS1/CBSSN: Hmm. Not sure. Can you give more detail on your proposal?

BSC: It’s ok. I was totally kidding. Us partnering with you, haha, can you imagine? Anyway, have a nice day! *click*

BSC: You guys! I totally was in discussions with FS1/CBSSN about TV deals. No, I swear.

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:

BSC: Hey, you’re awesome and I think you smell really good. Now, I know you’re gonna say no, but hear me out. Wouldn’t it be crazy if you aired BSC games?

BSC: It’s ok. I was totally kidding. Us partnering with you, haha, can you imagine? Anyway, have a nice day! *click*

BSC: You guys! I totally was in discussions with FS1/CBSSN about TV deals. No, I swear.

Response: Montana and Montana State, sure. Rest of the conference, no thank you. Fill the other venues, then we'll listen.

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:

:lol:

Thing is, this is likely far more accurate than we'd like to admit. The bsc is like so many GRIZ fans" "Oh, we're just small and insignificant".

I hope whatever channel they end up on they use Grady Bennett as one of the guys to call the games, he does a great job and a past Griz

grizare#1 said:
I hope whatever channel they end up on they use Grady Bennett as one of the guys to call the games, he does a great job and a past Griz

I miss Grandpa Munster.

As long as I can watch all the games I don’t really care who has rights. No matter how much anyone wants it, they’re not going to switch from Alabama in the middle of the second quarter to show Montana play Cal Poly. Hopefully with Root out the door the Griz cat game can be later than noon. I have to drink way harder than I want to before noon to be ready.

dupuyer griz said:
As long as I can watch all the games I don’t really care who has rights. No matter how much anyone wants it, they’re not going to switch from Alabama in the middle of the second quarter to show Montana play Cal Poly. Hopefully with Root out the door the Griz cat game can be later than noon. I have to drink way harder than I want to before noon to be ready.
It's not the TV that drives the MSU game to noon.

kemajic said:
dupuyer griz said:

I totally know what drives it to noon. It would be hilarious if you revealed it to the rest of these posters who don’t know stuff.

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:

I totally know what drives it to noon. It would be hilarious if you revealed it to the rest of these posters who don’t know stuff.
:party: :party: :beer: :beer: :puke: :puke: :argue: :argue:

Basically this....

I don’t think I’ve watched live broadcast TV that wasn’t a sporting event in almost two decades now. My kids are teens and they never turn on the TV. Like ever. That’s not where the important eyeballs are. I really don’t see how this hurts the school, maybe somebody can educate me.. I kinda think the real exposure is gonna come from making a deep playoff run consistently. And the odd chance there’s ever a Game Day visit. It even that’s pretty fleeting. Seems like various SM apps is where to be seen by potential recruits and other students…

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:

It was necessary back when the stadiums did not have lights. Now, the local merchants have a lot to say about it.

The brawl has had later starts. The 2015 game, more widely known as The Angry Fan Game, was a 3:30 pm start. It was already dark before Bleskin turned it over the sixth time.

EverettGriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Hate to tell you but no tv station really gave two Fs about these games. You think anyone tuned into root besides bigsky Fans? No it’s not like we were gonna get an espn deal or an abc deal, or a fox deal. Honestly being able to see games in lots of local networks plus espn+ is about as good as anyone could have expected

Yes, people did turn into bsc games other than bsc fans. Certainly here in the PNW they did, and those games were widely promoted on Root during things EVERYONE watched (Mariner games, P12 games, etc). So even if they didn't watch them all, recruits were aware that those games were televised.

The highlighted portion is the problem, not the solution.

I'll buy your last sentence, not the first two. Other than MT and ID all the other schools have PAC teams and no one would buy more than alumni of BSC schools who are football fans are watching BSC games over PAC games. I'll also cede you transplants from the boonies out here who now live in your neck of the woods.

EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Well, assuming we conclude they did, yes, I agree.

But as I point out, that really shouldn't be the narrative. So many on here proclaim how happy they are in this conference. It simply seems to me that those people can't have it both ways. They can't claim, "hey this is great and where we belong", while simultaneously saying, "hey, the bsc sucks shit and that's why we can't even do what lesser fcs conferences do. Is what it is".

At some point, those of us who care have to make enough noise to get improvements made. It doesn't have to be "is what is" unless we continue to allow it.

I don't think it's the case anymore as much as you do. Even people like me who`were good with FCS when the Appy, GA Southern teams were still around see the watering down of the group. I just don't see worrying about it until the Big Dogs decide on their members. Then who wants in the 2nd tier which is where I trust we end up and where I'd guess EWU, NoCo, PSU and any others that can't commit the resources won't. I'd hope the AD is gathering intel and planning the appropriate moves because it's going to go down in the near future.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
It was necessary back when the stadiums did not have lights. Now, the local merchants have a lot to say about it.

I freaking knew the FSPB had their thumbs in this. Thanks for the info.

Back