• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

O-line from the O-line

mthoopsfan said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
I'm curious how you don't correlate repeated injuries to starting QB and fill in RB's to poor OL play. I know what I saw from the NEZ and it was sloppy play a lot of the season.

I'll reserve comment on this year's line until we actually see how they play. I remain optimistic.

Because the o-line didn't cause or even contribute to most of the injuries. I don't think Sulser was even touched. QB's and RB's take hits every time they run. They don't just run when they are scrambling as a result of bad blocking. Scrambling is often due to receivers not being open and can be an offensive threat for a qb who can run. When Humphrey first hurt his ankle, he had just gained 13 yards. The second time he hurt it, he was still not fully recovered and the plan had been to use it sparingly.

33 sacks.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
Because the o-line didn't cause or even contribute to most of the injuries. I don't think Sulser was even touched. QB's and RB's take hits every time they run. They don't just run when they are scrambling as a result of bad blocking. Scrambling is often due to receivers not being open and can be an offensive threat for a qb who can run. When Humphrey first hurt his ankle, he had just gained 13 yards. The second time he hurt it, he was still not fully recovered and the plan had been to use it sparingly.

33 sacks.

So sacks is an OL stat only?

[/quote]

My bold prediction. Casey will be All Big Sky 1st team at least 2 seasons before he is done. Forbes and Mayginnes will at least have a season of 1st or 2nd Team. All dependent on staying healthy of course. Have a healthy stud All American RB and a ton of depth there will all make a huge difference. And add a QB that has potential to do real damage running the ball as well as throw it..I went to Griz practice and Johnson is a physical and athletic QB. Last year the Griz still out rushed their opponents by 800 yards and the two young freshman averaged 4.4 yds (Harris) and 4.2 yds (Bergen) a carry!
[/quote]

I would likely agree with this. It's unfortunate Casey didn't get to keep his redshirt last year but he is going to be a force going forward. Biggest thing, imo, is being able to always get positive yardage on 1st down run plays and improve on 3rd down conversions.

I can live with the 33 sacks. The OL play last year was very sketchy in opening up running lanes. Mthoops, stick to bball or go watch the tape on last football season again. I am optimistic for improvement this season though.

From my limited and pedestrian observations it sure seems to me that AJ Forbes has taken command as the leader of the OL group. In spring camp after practices he would stand outside the tunnel as his position group came off the field and he would give words of encouragement to everyone. During practices it seemed to me he would challenge the younger guys to keep learning and improving. Seems to be real vocal too, he appears to really be thriving here, I'm excited for his season!

3-7-77 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Kem,

Why don't you go spend some time at your local VFW, or the VA in Helena instead of showing your envy on the interwebs. It's unbecoming.

UNBECOMING? I can only speak for myself, but I'm a little tired of hearing about your goddamned service. I'm not impressed. Evidently, you've become accustomed to being called 'Sir' for quite a while, and everyone running around kissing your ass in the 'orderly proficient military manner.' Get over it. This is the eGriz Football site. Stay on track.

Hey, GFY. I talk about my service once a year prior to Army Navy game. I don't seek attention here or anywhere for my service. If you saw me, you wouldn't even know I serve. No one on my team kisses my ass...it is unecessary.

I can't help it if others on here like to talk about it or turn it into some sort of a meme.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

33 sacks.

74/123 FCS teams in 3rd down conversion...

HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:
74/123 FCS teams in 3rd down conversion...

So, is that entirely an OL problem?

That is an EVERYONE problem. 3rd and 2 or less on a run, the OL better block. The RB better find the hole. On 3rd and 7, the OC had better not call a run.

AZDoc said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

That is an EVERYONE problem. 3rd and 2 or less on a run, the OL better block. The RB better find the hole. On 3rd and 7, the OC had better not call a run.

Not black and white, imo. Sometimes you need a few yards to get better field goal positioning. Sometimes running the ball is a better option depending on what the defense gives you. Sometimes you need to use clock. Oftentimes you are in four down territory. Many teams use delays and rpo plays on 3rd and 7 to good effect. In the bigger picture, it can also make you less predictable and harder to scheme for going forward, especially if it works.

granitegriz said:
I can live with the 33 sacks. The OL play last year was very sketchy in opening up running lanes. Mthoops, stick to bball or go watch the tape on last football season again. I am optimistic for improvement this season though.

Learn the game, or don't post. Everything I have said in the last few posts is correct.

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

No, but certainly not helpful...don't you agree?

The OL struggled at times, but they were far and away not the only issue. Inexperience at RB, QB play, inconsistency at WR, and offensive play calling were all at issue over the course of the season.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

33 sacks.

Our pocket routinely collapsed around the QB and he was either sacked or found room to run and risked getting hard tackled. Given our receiver corps last year with more time they would have gotten open and Cam not exposed to so many hits. I don't think poor OL play can be summarily brushed away. QB's are not vaginas--they don't get tougher the more pounding they take.

HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:
No, but certainly not helpful...don't you agree?

The OL struggled at times, but they were far and away not the only issue. Inexperience at RB, QB play, inconsistency at WR, and offensive play calling were all at issue over the course of the season.

And I don’t doubt all those things exacerbated the issues at O-line, as there was little veteran help in the skill positions to cover for some of the struggles. Hopefully at least THAT aspect is better this year, which may lead to a better O-line performance overall.

UM gave up 6 sacks in first 4 games, including UW, West. Ill, CP and EWU. Humphrey got hurt at end of game 4.

Brown was sacked 8 times (4 each game) in the next two games.

Humphrey was sacked 5 times against NCU Cats, but UM won games. Brown sacked once against JMU, and UM lost game.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

And I don’t doubt all those things exacerbated the issues at O-line, as there was little veteran help in the skill positions to cover for some of the struggles. Hopefully at least THAT aspect is better this year, which may lead to a better O-line performance overall.
I'll take that as a step back from the attack.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

They could also have made the OL seem worse. But my point is that improvement across the board is necessary.

mthoopsfan said:
UM gave up 6 sacks in first 4 games, including UW, West. Ill, CP and EWU. Humphrey got hurt at end of game 4.

Brown was sacked 8 times (4 each game) in the next two games.

Humphrey was sacked 5 times against NCU Cats, but UM won games. Brown sacked once against JMU, and UM lost game.
The sack numbers sans Brown are actually quite good. It's been well documented that Brown holds the ball too long, refuses to throw it away and even took sacks on the last two plays of losing to SacSt, letting the clock run out.

Back