• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Playoff Site Selection

Montanabob said:
PlayerRep said:
dupuyer griz said:
I think the only way a seeded team would ever not host is if a school like northern Colorado had a great year and got seeded. There’s no way they sell enough tickets to cover the base. Typically, it seems the seeded teams usually have a pretty good draw.

You don't think UNC could sell $30,000 worth of tickets for the minimum in the 2d round, to pay the minimum?

UNC has averaged about 5,000 per game this season. Season tickets start at $85. If single game tickets are $20, then 20 times 2500 is $50,000. At $15, 15 times 2500 is $37,500.

HUH? where do you get your information?
UNC tickets start at $10 with specials:
Youth 6th grade and under Get FREE admission to all regular season UNC Athletics home events, including 2019 football games when you join Klawz's Cub Club for only $40 for the entire year!

I looked up the basic season ticket price, and it was $85. I then guessed on single game prices. So, are the single game tickets $10, or is that a special price. I doubt that special prices would count for the ncaa. The kids prices don't count for ncaa purposes.

Are you saying that the basic price for single game tickets at UNC are $10? Seems odd that season tickets would be $85 and single game tickets would be only $100. Since I assume there are plenty of seats, why would anyone who doesn't want to sit between the 35's bother to get a season ticket?

Even at $10, 10 times 3,000 (60% of this year's season average) is $30,000.

Edit: I just called the UNC ticket office, and asked about tickets for the next home game, Cal Poly.

General admission is $17. BenchBack reserved is $32. Other reserved is $22.

Montanabob, the better question might be where did YOU get your information?

Grizzlies1982 said:
Missoula223 said:
I am out of my comfort zone here, so I am mainly searching for answers. Who do the egriz experts think we will play if we win out? Which I do think we will win out. I see us getting a 3 seed. If the team from the east wins this weekend, I think we host them in the 2nd round if they win their playoff game. Am I crazy for this? I also think Weber drops to 6 and we host them in the quarters. If we win, we will travel to JMU. Thoughts? I know I might be looking too far ahead, but I am curious is all. Thanks.

Well we certainly want you to be comfortable. First of all, it's nearly impossible to say who will play whom. Only speculation can be done. So let us begin...

If Montana beats both Weber State and Bozeman State then probably...

A. Grizzlies will be a 3 seed (or #2 if JMU or NDSU somehow stumbled).
B. Weber will be a 5, 6, 7, 8 seed.
C. Bobcats will be an at large (if they beat UC Davis this weekend).

D. MSU would host a round 1 game.
If they win they'll be sent to Utah for round 2 (they didn't play Weber yet and it's nearby).

E. Montana's 2nd round opponent is likely to be from west of Missouri River or the MVFC.
So probably winner of San Diego/ SE Missouri/ Illinois St/ Southland conf. or something similar.

F. Quarter final pairing is strictly a matter of where teams are initially seeded.
If #3 & #6 Montana / Weber rematch is possible, yet not if #3-5, or #3-7...

Yes, you are looking way too far ahead. Though it is fun to be thinking/discussing playoffs again. Hope this helps calm your nerves. First things first, hope our guys kick Weber and the kitties. Go Griz!

Lol I appreciate that. Go griz.

PlayerRep said:
The 8 seeded teams host if they submit the minimum bid. Non-seeded teams host based on other criteria, starting with the bid amount.

The host submits its budget for putting on the event at the stadium, plus lodging for officials, and the ncaa pays the rest--for the visiting team, officials' fees and other costs.

Ticket prices are not set by the ncaa, except that they can't be lower than the lowest regular season ticket prices, for rounds after the first round. No minimum in the first round.

Alcohol can be served. Haslam is on the selection committee this year.

"Preliminary-Round Schedule
First Round: Second Round: Quarterfinals: Semifinals:

Saturday, November 30
Saturday, December 7
Friday, December 13; or Saturday, December 14 Saturday, December 21"

"Regarding first-round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1, the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:

1. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First round—$30,000 Second round—$40,000 Quarterfinals—$50,000 Semifinals—$60,000

[PR: The 75% thing is not clear, but I assume it means that the ncaa gets 75% of the net receipts over the minimum, probably 75% of net ticket prices if receipts are over the minimum or bid, in the case of non-seeded teams. Edit: still don't understand the 75% thing, but I now see that the host school gets to keeponly 15%. Not sure where concessions fit.]

2. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top eight seeded teams.

3. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).

6. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution."

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_PrelimRndHostOpsManual.pdf

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_BidChecklistInfo.pdf

I thought ticket prices couldn’t be higher than the lowest regular season ticket cost?

Grizzlies1982 said:
Missoula223 said:
I am out of my comfort zone here, so I am mainly searching for answers. Who do the egriz experts think we will play if we win out? Which I do think we will win out. I see us getting a 3 seed. If the team from the east wins this weekend, I think we host them in the 2nd round if they win their playoff game. Am I crazy for this? I also think Weber drops to 6 and we host them in the quarters. If we win, we will travel to JMU. Thoughts? I know I might be looking too far ahead, but I am curious is all. Thanks.

Well we certainly want you to be comfortable. First of all, it's nearly impossible to say who will play whom. Only speculation can be done. So let us begin...

If they win they'll be sent to Utah for round 2 (they didn't play Weber yet and it's nearby).

E. Montana's 2nd round opponent is likely to be from west of Missouri River or the MVFC.
So probably winner of San Diego/ SE Missouri/ Illinois St/ Southland conf. or something similar.

F. Quarter final pairing is strictly a matter of where teams are initially seeded.

Yes, you are looking way too far ahead. Though it is fun to be thinking/discussing playoffs again. Hope this helps calm your nerves. First things first, hope our guys kick Weber and the kitties. Go Griz!

You do realize in a scenario where UM gets a seed, they could play the winner of a MSU/??? first round game in the second round.

grizindabox said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
Missoula223 said:

You do realize in a scenario where UM gets a seed, they could play the winner of a MSU/??? first round game in the second round.

Yes I believe it's only the first round where they try to avoid conference rematches.

Htowngriz said:
... Yes I believe it's only the first round where they try to avoid conference rematches.
From the NCAA "Pre-Championship Manual" ... note paragraph 7 re your question:
5. Regular-season non-conference match-ups in the first round of the championship should be avoided, provided it does not create an additional flight(s);
6. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games (except for teams from the same conference that did not play against each other during the regular season; such teams may play each other in the first round); and
7. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket (e.g., a seeded team may play a conference opponent that advanced out of the first round).
Couple of other points here:
The wording of paragraph 5 could be better, but I'm pretty sure it means a team could meet a regular-season OOC opponent in the first playoff round. While that "should be avoided," they consider it more important to avoid expensive airplane flights.
Paragraph 6 expressly prohibits conference rematches in the first round: "will not be paired." As we've seen, they do allow that for teams that did not meet in the regular season.

Fahque said:
PlayerRep said:
The 8 seeded teams host if they submit the minimum bid. Non-seeded teams host based on other criteria, starting with the bid amount.

The host submits its budget for putting on the event at the stadium, plus lodging for officials, and the ncaa pays the rest--for the visiting team, officials' fees and other costs.

Ticket prices are not set by the ncaa, except that they can't be lower than the lowest regular season ticket prices, for rounds after the first round. No minimum in the first round.

Alcohol can be served. Haslam is on the selection committee this year.

"Preliminary-Round Schedule
First Round: Second Round: Quarterfinals: Semifinals:

Saturday, November 30
Saturday, December 7
Friday, December 13; or Saturday, December 14 Saturday, December 21"

"Regarding first-round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1, the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:

1. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First round—$30,000 Second round—$40,000 Quarterfinals—$50,000 Semifinals—$60,000

[PR: The 75% thing is not clear, but I assume it means that the ncaa gets 75% of the net receipts over the minimum, probably 75% of net ticket prices if receipts are over the minimum or bid, in the case of non-seeded teams. Edit: still don't understand the 75% thing, but I now see that the host school gets to keeponly 15%. Not sure where concessions fit.]

2. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top eight seeded teams.

3. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).

6. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution."

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_PrelimRndHostOpsManual.pdf

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_BidChecklistInfo.pdf

I thought ticket prices couldn’t be higher than the lowest regular season ticket cost?

Edit: Prices can be higher; just can't be lower than the lowest during regular season.

IdaGriz01 said:
Htowngriz said:
... Yes I believe it's only the first round where they try to avoid conference rematches.
From the NCAA "Pre-Championship Manual" ... note paragraph 7 re your question:
5. Regular-season non-conference match-ups in the first round of the championship should be avoided, provided it does not create an additional flight(s);
6. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games (except for teams from the same conference that did not play against each other during the regular season; such teams may play each other in the first round); and
7. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket (e.g., a seeded team may play a conference opponent that advanced out of the first round).
Couple of other points here:
The wording of paragraph 5 could be better, but I'm pretty sure it means a team could meet a regular-season OOC opponent in the first playoff round. While that "should be avoided," they consider it more important to avoid expensive airplane flights.
Paragraph 6 expressly prohibits conference rematches in the first round: "will not be paired." As we've seen, they do allow that for teams that did not meet in the regular season.

I agree with your interpretations.

PlayerRep said:
reinell30 said:
In a nut shell PR, what the hell does it all mean? Can non-seeded team host a seeded team? Thanks.

If the seeded team puts in the minimum bid, the seeded team hosts. If the seeded team doesn't put in the minimum bid, then I assume the non-seeded teams hosts, as along as it has put in a bid. Not sure what would happen if neither team bid. Maybe both would be given an opportunity to bid, at below the minimum.
PR, I believe your assertion is correct. Also, in following FCS football since the switched to the regionalization format in the early 2000s, I can't recall a game where the seeded team didn't host.

grizindabox said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
Missoula223 said:

Beating the kitties twice in the same year would be priceless! Starting a 2-0 streak in one year, what would top this?

Of course this is all dependent on the kitties qualifying for the post season first and winning their first round game. Both tall orders.

It would be nice if the NCAA would negotiate better TV package for the FCS. That way it could help the schools financially as well as allowing them to get rid of stupid regionalization. Taking 75% of the tickets to pay for team expenses is robbery.

putter said:
It would be nice if the NCAA would negotiate better TV package for the FCS. That way it could help the schools financially as well as allowing them to get rid of stupid regionalization. Taking 75% of the tickets to pay for team expenses is robbery.

The NCAA doesn't care about the financial security of schools. The 75% robbery only demonstrates their concern for their own financial security.

Missoula223 said:

If the next two weeks play out like this, the "team from the east" is much more likely to be sent to a seeded Weber State in the second round, since we didn't play them this year.

Walkon79 said:
Missoula223 said:

If the next two weeks play out like this, the "team from the east" is much more likely to be sent to a seeded Weber State in the second round, since we didn't play them this year.

That's only a consideration in the first round. See: 2014 when the Griz played EWU in the regular season and were sent to Cheney in the second round.

Could you imagine Two Cat/Griz games in one year? How cool. One in both towns. Think of the revenue for this state?

Htowngriz said:
Walkon79 said:
Missoula223 said:

That's only a consideration in the first round. See: 2014 when the Griz played EWU in the regular season and were sent to Cheney in the second round.

I realize this but don't you think the committee would look at second round pairings when they set up a bracket? IMO an 8-4 MSU would be much more likely to be paired up with a 6, 7 or 8 seed in round two, and coincidentaly Weber is perhaps a bus-ride away, or most definitely a cheap charter, AND we haven't played them yet. I just think that's more likely.

MikeyGriz said:
putter said:

The NCAA doesn't care about the financial security of schools. The 75% robbery only demonstrates their concern for their own financial security.

The 75% still isn’t clear to me. I will do some checking.

At some point, the ncaa takes all but 15% of ticket revenue.

Note that, except for the guarantee or bid, the ncaa pays for everything including the budgeted expenses of the host team to put on the game. Ticket takers, security, runners of the videos. preparation, clean up, etc. The game is essentially an ncaa event.

I still don’t know where concession revenue goes. I suppose it’s part of “net receipts”.

Walkon79 said:
Htowngriz said:
Walkon79 said:
Missoula223 said:

I realize this but don't you think the committee would look at second round pairings when they set up a bracket? IMO an 8-4 MSU would be much more likely to be paired up with a 6, 7 or 8 seed in round two, and coincidentaly Weber is perhaps a bus-ride away, or most definitely a cheap charter, AND we haven't played them yet. I just think that's more likely.

Walkon79 I think you're right. Guys I am fully aware they can send MSU through Montana. I just don't think they would if Weber State is also available as a seed. I think the committee likes to pair up conference foes who never met in the regular season. They don't have to but I believe they try to.

IF Montana & Weber are seeded and the Cats aren't, MSU will feed into Ogden, Utah for any round 2 game. I'd virtually guarantee it.

It would be fun to have Cat/Griz part deux (especially one in each location). It is possible, but Cat/Griz is the final weekend and a round 2 game is just two weeks later. Then having four Big Sky teams in (Sac, MSU, UM, Weber) means they'll try to have some eliminate each other. The committee will notice Weber / MSU is the only game which didn't occur yet and they will try to arrange it. :ugeek:

Back