• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ramos and Walker are Back

HelenaHandBasket said:
During the Griz heyday, the bread and butter of the program were Montana kids.
Depends on how you define "bread and butter." Many of our top performers have always been out-of-state players.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Depends on how you define "bread and butter." Many of our top performers have always been out-of-state players.

I define it the correct way, and based on your comment, you don't.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Correct:
Young, Decoite x 2, Smith, Coleman, Malden, Humphrey, Peeples, Snyder, Han cock, Steinman, Proctor, Bush, Saenz...among others

All National Champions...all from somewhere other than MT.

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:

Correct:
Young, Decoite x 2, Smith, Coleman, Malden, Humphrey, Peeples, Snyder, Han dna rifle, Steinman, Proctor, Bush, Saenz...among others

Friggin site won't type H A N C O C K.

uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Nothing about 2019 and 2021 was better. Nothing. 2022 was a friggin mess.

Win the conference.
Beat the neighbors.
Win the FCS national championship.

Not one of them...all of them. Not for the timid or the weak.

Best fanbase, best facilities, legacy...all in a severely watered down FCS.

No excuses. The neighbors are figuring it out.
You should take that up with the guy who said getting in the top 8 was better, then.

it's better. but it shouldn't be the end goal. And I hope to Christ it's not Bobby's end goal. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
You should take that up with the guy who said getting in the top 8 was better, then.

it's better. but it shouldn't be the end goal. And I hope to Christ it's not Bobby's end goal. :lol:
I don't think a single person in this fanbase believes it should be.

HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:

I define it the correct way, and based on your comment, you don't.
I get it. You're that much smarter than me.

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:

Correct:
Young, Decoite x 2, Smith, Coleman, Malden, Humphrey, Peeples, Snyder, Han dna rifle, Steinman, Proctor, Bush, Saenz...among others

Montana kids are the bread and butter, the glue, the core of the program. All I am going to say is look at the Montana kids that played in the trenches when the going was good and then look at how many Montana kids there are now.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Championships should always be a goal. That doesn't mean that consecutive 10 win seasons aren't acceptable nor meet or exceed acceptable Griz standards.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Championships should always be a goal. That doesn't mean that consecutive 10 win seasons aren't acceptable nor meet or exceed acceptable Griz standards.

In recent years it’s BECOME the standard. Rightly or wrongly.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You and soldier have convinced me. My new standard for Griz football is no recruit lower than 3*, no losses, nothing but Championships, touchdowns on every offensive possession, and at a minimum, every defensive series must be a 3-and-out. Did I forget anything? UM has every advantage in the world, and if a kid wants to go somewhere else, they are just dumb.

mthoopsfan said:
PTGrizzly said:
With all due respect, the OL was no better than average whenever a good team was played against. Germer isn’t bad, but he’s not great either. He’s been here for a while…it’s disappointing that the depth, development, and HS recruiting hasn’t been better imo.

The o-line was much better than average this season. Against SS, a seeded team, UM had over 200 yards rushing and more than SS (even without Johnson for much of the game). UM was 10-20 in 3d down conversations. UM had more rushing first downs than SS. UM gave up no sacks. TOP was 38 to 22, a sign of a good o-line and a run game.

Again, Germer is a very good coach. Ask Bobby or any coach at UM. Recruiting high school o-line is only part of the equation; getting transfers is just as important, maybe more so. Give me JD Quinn and Brent Russum anytime. Also, the Butte qb who transferred and who is now in the NFL.

You’re using a game where they averaged 3.7 yards per carry as evidence the OL played well? Yeah they ran for 200 yards! They ran the ball 54 freaking times! It would be hard NOT to run for 200 yards if you run that many times!

Against Idaho, ran for 1.9 YPC, against Weber it was sub 2 YPC, against MSU it was 3.4 YPC and most of that was Britt against backups, and against NDSU it was 3.7 YPC. Even against SEMO it was 3.4 YPC. That’s decidedly not good. The OL couldn’t impose their will and run the ball. It’s year 5 of Bobby, more than that for Germer. It’s a failure of talent development and acquisition. If you’re relying on a transfer that’s never played the position before, that’s a bad freaking sign.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

You and soldier have convinced me. My new standard for Griz football is no recruit lower than 3*, no losses, nothing but Championships, touchdowns on every offensive possession, and at a minimum, every defensive series must be a 3-and-out. Did I forget anything? UM has every advantage in the world, and if a kid wants to go somewhere else, they are just dumb.

That pretty much sums it up. :lol:

PTGrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:
The o-line was much better than average this season. Against SS, a seeded team, UM had over 200 yards rushing and more than SS (even without Johnson for much of the game). UM was 10-20 in 3d down conversations. UM had more rushing first downs than SS. UM gave up no sacks. TOP was 38 to 22, a sign of a good o-line and a run game.

Again, Germer is a very good coach. Ask Bobby or any coach at UM. Recruiting high school o-line is only part of the equation; getting transfers is just as important, maybe more so. Give me JD Quinn and Brent Russum anytime. Also, the Butte qb who transferred and who is now in the NFL.

You’re using a game where they averaged 3.7 yards per carry as evidence the OL played well? Yeah they ran for 200 yards! They ran the ball 54 freaking times! It would be hard NOT to run for 200 yards if you run that many times!

Against Idaho, ran for 1.9 YPC, against Weber it was sub 2 YPC, against MSU it was 3.4 YPC and most of that was Britt against backups, and against NDSU it was 3.7 YPC. Even against SEMO it was 3.4 YPC. That’s decidedly not good. The OL couldn’t impose their will and run the ball. It’s year 5 of Bobby, more than that for Germer. It’s a failure of talent development and acquisition. If you’re relying on a transfer that’s never played the position before, that’s a bad freaking sign.

Yes, I used SS as an example of game where the o-line played well against a good team. Over 200 yards. No sacks. I watched the game. Did you? The team including o-line didn't play well against MSU or NDSU, so I didn't cite those games. The o-line was good or pretty good, with a few exceptions, this season. It will be better next year.

It is not a failure of talent, or coaching. Your posts are a failure to understand the game of football and to follow Griz football. Do you even watch the games?

I don't agree that having an athletic Nebraska drop down who was recruited as an o-lineman, as a starter, is a bad freaking sign. He played fairly well last season.

mthoopsfan said:
PTGrizzly said:

Yes, I used SS as an example of game where the o-line played well against a good team. Over 200 yards. No sacks. I watched the game. Did you? The team including o-line didn't play well against MSU or NDSU, so I didn't cite those games. The o-line was good or pretty good, with a few exceptions, this season. It will be better next year.

It is not a failure of talent, or coaching. Your posts are a failure to understand the game of football and to follow Griz football. Do you even watch the games?

I don't agree that having an athletic Nebraska drop down who was recruited as an o-lineman, as a starter, is a bad freaking sign. He played fairly well last season.

I understand enough to know that running for 200 yards when you’re averaging 3.7 YPC isn’t a sign of a good OL, it’s a sign of good defense allowing for a lot of possessions, and yards via volume. They didn’t run the ball well, they just ran the ball a lot.

When you’re in year 5, 6, 7, 8, etc, and you have to rely upon transfers who have never played that position before, it’s not a good sign of how recruiting has gone. Did it work out? Yeah, but it shouldn’t have needed to, that’s the point.

PTGrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:

I understand enough to know that running for 200 yards when you’re averaging 3.7 YPC isn’t a sign of a good OL, it’s a sign of good defense allowing for a lot of possessions, and yards via volume. They didn’t run the ball well, they just ran the ball a lot.

When you’re in year 5, 6, 7, 8, etc, and you have to rely upon transfers who have never played that position before, it’s not a good sign of how recruiting has gone. Did it work out? Yeah, but it shouldn’t have needed to, that’s the point.

Where did the no sacks, good 3d down conversions, great TOP, and 200 yards come from? The back up qb?

Sac gave up only 147 yards rushing per game. Had 18 sacks.

It was Hauck’s 4th season. What are you talking about?

You obviously don’t know how to evaluate o-linemen or o-line play.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Regardless of how many Montana kids are in the team, it's good to have a Butte guy on the team. They're good luck. ;)

PTGrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:

🎤 drop.

GrizMania said:
kemajic said:

Regardless of how many Montana kids are in the team, it's good to have a Butte guy on the team. They're good luck. ;)

This is 100% accurate.

SoldierGriz said:
PTGrizzly said:

🎤 drop.
For the season Montana had an average of 4.4 YPC vs. 3.9 YPC for opponents.

Back