• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rohrbach Flying Away

3-7-77 said:
I, for one, was unaware of the side door processes to the various service academies. I just thought there was a checklist, items A - Z, that had to be accomplished for any admission to AFA, West Point, or the Naval Academy. I was wondering WHERE did they find these people with all high SAT/ACT, GPA and other prerequirements to admission, AND be highly sought after by other DI schools for football, basketball, bowling, or tiddlywinks college 'sports.' On a side note, I did find out, during my later life, about serving officers seeking the Masters Square for promotion, another checklist of sorts. Different story. :?
Thank all of you posters for your contribution to expanding my insight into this area. Sincerely, I thank you. :thumb:
I had never heard of post-high school academy prep schools. Sounds similar to community colleges for the service academies. Comparing these prep schools to a community college is a real stretch, but I have been known to use hyperbole on occasion.
Any way you look at it, an applicant has to be damn qualified academically to get in, front door or back door. No graduation, no commission. Just join the grunts to pay back what the U.S. had invested in you. Thats gotta suck, but, hey, roll the dice and see what happens.

Good post, except - there is no side door, back door, or sneaking anyone in to the academies. Every applicant - including those applying after 10 months at the prep school must meet the physical and academic standards, have a nomination, and accept their appointment if offered.

Those who accept - can attend the Academies for 2 full years and then leave without penalty. On the first day of classes their Junior year, they Affirm, which means they accept the service obligation. If they leave after affirming, they owe a crap-ton of money back to the taxpayers.

SoldierGriz said:
Good post, except - there is no side door, back door, or sneaking anyone in to the academies. Every applicant - including those applying after 10 months at the prep school must meet the physical and academic standards, have a nomination, and accept their appointment if offered.

Those who accept - can attend the Academies for 2 full years and then leave without penalty. On the first day of classes their Junior year, they Affirm, which means they accept the service obligation. If they leave after affirming, they owe a crap-ton of money back to the taxpayers.

AHAH!!! Thanks for the clarification. I had heard of having to pay back U.S. by GETTING ENLISTED, but the details were missing. I had the skeleton, you provided the meat, bones, skin, etc. :thumb:

3-7-77 said:
SoldierGriz said:

AHAH!!! Thanks for the clarification. I had heard of having to pay back U.S. by GETTING ENLISTED, but the details were missing. I had the skeleton, you provided the meat, bones, skin, etc. :thumb:

You sir, are correct. They are provided an opportunity to enlist...thanks for adding that!

SoldierGriz said:
3-7-77 said:
I, for one, was unaware of the side door processes to the various service academies. I just thought there was a checklist, items A - Z, that had to be accomplished for any admission to AFA, West Point, or the Naval Academy. I was wondering WHERE did they find these people with all high SAT/ACT, GPA and other prerequirements to admission, AND be highly sought after by other DI schools for football, basketball, bowling, or tiddlywinks college 'sports.' On a side note, I did find out, during my later life, about serving officers seeking the Masters Square for promotion, another checklist of sorts. Different story. :?
Thank all of you posters for your contribution to expanding my insight into this area. Sincerely, I thank you. :thumb:
I had never heard of post-high school academy prep schools. Sounds similar to community colleges for the service academies. Comparing these prep schools to a community college is a real stretch, but I have been known to use hyperbole on occasion.
Any way you look at it, an applicant has to be damn qualified academically to get in, front door or back door. No graduation, no commission. Just join the grunts to pay back what the U.S. had invested in you. Thats gotta suck, but, hey, roll the dice and see what happens.

The process and standards from the prep schools are different from the process and standards outside the prep school. By definition, everyone at the prep school is enlisted. The heads of the prep schools have a significant and elevated role in admission from the prep school. This why so many athletes and POC are admitted from the prep schools.

mthoopsfan said:
I think ASU will get him to punt for them, unless they have a very good punter. Why doesn’t he transfer to the Air Force Academy?

Last I knew, you needed a Congressional appointment to be accepted to the Academy. Many years ago (mid 90’s) my little bro was recruited by the Academy for football as well as academics, and he had to receive an appointment by, at the time I think either Burns or Baucus. My Lieutenant at the time who was also a friend happened to have been a “Zoomie” and forwarded my brother’s highlight reel to the coach at the Academy. The Bruins had won state that year w a lot of help from my brother’s two TDs. So that certainly helped. There were only two available appointments that year for Montana.

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

The process and standards from the prep schools are different from the process and standards outside the prep school. By definition, everyone at the prep school is enlisted. The heads of the prep schools have a significant and elevated role in admission from the prep school. This why so many athletes and POC are admitted from the prep schools.

This is mostly correct, except the leaders ar the prep schools do not have an elevated role in admissions. They do not sit in or participate in the admissions process. They absolutely are experts and are surrounded by experts who deeply understand what is required for admission. Excellent academic potential to succeed at the Academy, physically fit, medically qualified, nomination secured, and application complete...just like direct admits out of HS.

Yes, there are athletes at the prep schools, and under-represented minorities. Some of these candidates come from schools without access to honors or AP courses. This is important in our Army to ensure the Nations Sons and Daughters are led by Officers who look like the full breadth of race, ethnicity etc..in the nation. They are selected for Prep school attendance to make sure they are ready. There are also dozens of enlisted service members selected each year...some of who are minorities and some who are not. The key is they have to have full potential to enter the academies.

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

This is mostly correct, except the leaders ar the prep schools do not have an elevated role in admissions. They do not sit in or participate in the admissions process. They absolutely are experts and are surrounded by experts who deeply understand what is required for admission. Excellent academic potential to succeed at the Academy, physically fit, medically qualified, nomination secured, and application complete...just like direct admits out of HS.

Yes, there are athletes at the prep schools, and under-represented minorities. Some of these candidates come from schools without access to honors or AP courses. This is important in our Army to ensure the Nations Sons and Daughters are led by Officers who look like the full breadth of race, ethnicity etc..in the nation. They are selected for Prep school attendance to make sure they are ready. There are also dozens of enlisted service members selected each year...some of who are minorities and some who are not. The key is they have to have full potential to enter the academies.

The heads of the prep schools make the most important decisions and make many of the "nominations". I wonder how often a prep schooler recommended by the head of a prep school doesn't not get accepted to any academy. Probably almost never.

The standardized test profile average of those admitted to the academies is much much lower than the average profile of those admitted through regular admissions.

The prep schools are the side/back door for athletes, especially football and basketball. Many of them are POC too.

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Soldier, question for a friend: Say a guy is, IDK, a quadragenarian and in OK shape but definitely not smart enough to get into an Academy based on intelligence alone. Let's even say if you combined two of his brains into one person, it would be iffy. What steps could he hypothetically take to improve his chances? Again, for a friend.

They won't take you, CDA.
1) Too damn old,
2) OK shape won't make it, At that age, the probability of having 'the big one' right out there on
the grass, would be relatively high. How many of those 18 year old cadets know CPR?
Lawsuit! Which brings me to #3,
3) You are a lawyer. That alone would disqualify you, er, your 'friend.'

Lets sum up your inquiry in a couple words: Mid-life crisis. We all go through it. You'll be OK. :thumb:
There are just some things that disqualify a person from whatever. Look on the bright side, you'll never be called for jury duty! :lol:

3-7-77 said:
They won't take you, CDA.
1) Too damn old,
2) OK shape won't make it, At that age, the probability of having 'the big one' right out there on
the grass, would be relatively high. How many of those 18 year old cadets know CPR?
Lawsuit! Which brings me to #3,
3) You are a lawyer. That alone would disqualify you, er, your 'friend.'

Lets sum up your inquiry in a couple words: Mid-life crisis. We all go through it. You'll be OK. :thumb:
There are just some things that disqualify a person from whatever. Look on the bright side, you'll never be called for jury duty! :lol:

Well, shit. I'll let him know.

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:

Soldier, question for a friend: Say a guy is, IDK, a quadragenarian and in OK shape but definitely not smart enough to get into an Academy based on intelligence alone. Let's even say if you combined two of his brains into one person, it would be iffy. What steps could he hypothetically take to improve his chances? Again, for a friend.

Ha ha...recommend a juco to build an academic record of some sort. Or, just go see a recruiter. Army offering 50k signing bonuses right now!

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

The heads of the prep schools make the most important decisions and make many of the "nominations". I wonder how often a prep schooler recommended by the head of a prep school doesn't not get accepted to any academy. Probably almost never.

The standardized test profile average of those admitted to the academies is much much lower than the average profile of those admitted through regular admissions.

The prep schools are the side/back door for athletes, especially football and basketball. Many of them are POC too.

You are arguing with yourself at this point. Almost nothing in this post is correct. There is no side door or back door. Prep School leaders are not a nomination source, and everyone who receives an appointment meets the academic standards of the Academy. Some score higher and some score lower...every, singletons of them meets the established standard for an appointment.

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Ha ha...recommend a juco to build an academic record of some sort. Or, just go see a recruiter. Army offering 50k signing bonuses right now!

Does it make a difference if he has a good academic record with degrees obtained only because multiple institutions made mistakes letting him in, and then multiple professors made mistakes grading his stuff despite him basically having an 8th grade education? He can barely read. Time to come clean: CAN I GET INTO AIR FORCE? I can play golf pretty well, and I've convinced myself that with just a bit more time to practice I can get back to tournament form. I know that's a side door in, right?

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:

Does it make a difference if he has a good academic record with degrees obtained only because multiple institutions made mistakes letting him in, and then multiple professors made mistakes grading his stuff despite him basically having an 8th grade education? He can barely read. Time to come clean: CAN I GET INTO AIR FORCE? I can play golf pretty well, and I've convinced myself that with just a bit more time to practice I can get back to tournament form. I know that's a side door in, right?

Good at golf = automatic appointment to AF Academy.

My mistake - that IS the only side door. :lol:

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

You are arguing with yourself at this point. Almost nothing in this post is correct. There is no side door or back door. Prep School leaders are not a nomination source, and everyone who receives an appointment meets the academic standards of the Academy. Some score higher and some score lower...every, singletons of them meets the established standard for an appointment.

You don’t know what you are talking about. I am talking to people who help athletes get into the Academy, one a former assistant coach and former player who lives in Colorado Springs. You and your advisory committee are out of touch.

The original post suggests this young man wants to become an Air Force fighter pilot so he’s attempting to get into UPT at the Academy’s Flight School not for undergrad work. He’s doing that at Arizona’s ROTC program a feeder school to the flight school. To become a pilot in the Air Force he needs a pilot’s spot out of ROTC which by reading the OP he is capable of. My son completed UPT in Del Rio Texas and dropped into the F-16. Rohrbach isn’t trying to get into the academy but he is working toward flight school. Wish him well and wheels up kid.

bigkid said:
The original post suggests this young man wants to become an Air Force fighter pilot so he’s attempting to get into UPT at the Academy’s Flight School not for undergrad work. He’s doing that at Arizona’s ROTC program a feeder school to the flight school. To become a pilot in the Air Force he needs a pilot’s spot out of ROTC which by reading the OP he is capable of. My son completed UPT in Del Rio Texas and dropped into the F-16. Rohrbach isn’t trying to get into the academy but he is working toward flight school. Wish him well and wheels up kid.

My Academy friends say going to the Academy is a better and higher percentage way of getting into the Flight School.

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

You don’t know what you are talking about. I am talking to people who help athletes get into the Academy, one a former assistant coach and former player who lives in Colorado Springs. You and your advisory committee are out of touch.

You should be asking me...

He’s not trying to get into the academy. Arizona’s ROTC is a feeder to The Academy’s FLIGHT SCHOOL where he will attend UPT. But yes he would have a better chance at fighters.

Back