• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sneed is the starter

CatzWillRise said:
I've only watched a few quarters worth of Griz football this year. When I have, it seems Sneed is running for his life about 80% of the time. My question is can any other QB on the roster not get sacked a ton besides Sneed? That alone would keep in the starter IMO.

Don't immediately see any replies to this in a few posts below.

Based on my observation, no, outside of Graves who they're redshirting and who I don't think is ready to start. He would be very much a Troy Andersen-like QB, physical and a hard runner but not much you can rely on steadily to pass.

IdahoGrizFan said:
This is all fine, I would hope that if the UC Davis game is his third bad game in a row the coaches don't wait until into the 4th to make a change.

I don't know how you can say that 25-38-1 is a "bad" game.

reinell30 said:
All the short passes for minimal gain are comparable to a run game and thus allows the defense the same luxury as only defending a running game. This is why teams stop us easily now. Load the box and there is little to no threat of a deep play happening because of Sneed inaccuracies on longer passes. Film has provided all a team needs to stop the Griz O.

Humphries has a much nicer deep ball. But in a starting roll? Remains to be seen.

If the O-Line can't do their job of simple blocking, let them pull sleds back and forth up the M till they understand that blocking is there job. Freshman or not.

Don't think that short passes to the flat are the same thing as the run game. Takes a different kinds of defending for the short passes.

PlayerRep said:
reinell30 said:
All the short passes for minimal gain are comparable to a run game and thus allows the defense the same luxury as only defending a running game. This is why teams stop us easily now. Load the box and there is little to no threat of a deep play happening because of Sneed inaccuracies on longer passes. Film has provided all a team needs to stop the Griz O.

Humphries has a much nicer deep ball. But in a starting roll? Remains to be seen.

If the O-Line can't do their job of simple blocking, let them pull sleds back and forth up the M till they understand that blocking is there job. Freshman or not.

Don't think that short passes to the flat are the same thing as the run game. Takes a different kinds of defending for the short passes.

True, but it still brings all the defenders towards the line and shuts down the run and short passes now. If Sneed was 20% more accurate on the deep ball, they couldn't load the box like the last two games. Or maybe they could?

PlayerRep said:
reinell30 said:

hate to agree with greenie too often, but he's right. also, i agree sneed should remain the started at this point. it will be interesting to see if the coaches can come up with a plan that frees him up to play like he did the first several games.

having said that, sneed doesn't seem like the most poised qb the griz have ever had. hope he keeps his head up and in the game.

PlayerRep said:
IdahoGrizFan said:
This is all fine, I would hope that if the UC Davis game is his third bad game in a row the coaches don't wait until into the 4th to make a change.

It's not bad but it's not good or great either. That's 25-38-1 with 0 TDs and 200 total yards. 8 yards per completion, 5.26 yards per attempt. Add in during that stretch the team scored 0 points. Not all on Sneed by any means, there's plenty of blame to go around for that, but he was the QB during that stretch.

BWahlberg said:
PlayerRep said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

It's not bad but it's not good or great either. That's 25-38-1 with 0 TDs and 200 total yards. 8 yards per completion, 5.26 yards per attempt. Add in during that stretch the team scored 0 points. Not all on Sneed by any means, there's plenty of blame to go around for that, but he was the QB during that stretch.

Yes. That's why I say he was "pretty good". He certainly wasn't "bad".

As for TD's, and completions, dropped passes factor in. Penalties, like a penalty on a TD pass factor in. A QB can't be blamed for any of those things. Fumbles on the 1 yard line also factor into TD's. I didn't see the blame, so I don't know if Sneed has some fault there.

With fewer drops and 1 less penalty, yards per pass would have been better too. Personally, I don't think yards per pass is much of stat. Note that yards per pass was better than yards per run.

How about number of times Sneed was rushed, hurried or sacked? That's a huge factor. Does anyone want to dispute that he was rushed and hurried a lot? Virtually none of that can be blamed on Sneed.

At least, there is now some game evidence that Humphrey can come in and throw a nice ball. Again, note that his completion percentage was less than Sneed's and that he threw 2 quite inaccurate passes. He also got 2 TD's and longer/nice completions.

As long as Sneed keeps throwing to Sammy Akem, his numbers will get better. Sammy has the best hands of the WR's!

BWahlberg said:
PlayerRep said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

In PR's world, if the Griz QB keeps up his completion percentage up, the Griz could get shut out in their last 4 games and the QB will still be considered "pretty good"! Points in games don't have any bearing in evaluating a QB's performance!

...let me clear this up...
...and i'll try to be brief...
...dance with who brung ya...

... :cool: ...

Mousegriz said:
BWahlberg said:
PlayerRep said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

In PR's world, if the Griz QB keeps up his completion percentage up, the Griz could get shut out in their last 4 games and the QB will still be considered "pretty good"! Points in games don't have any bearing in evaluating a QB's performance!

Hey, why don't you give a full evaluation of the last game, and tell us why Sneed's performance was bad, or not pretty good? Yes, I understand points/TD's. I also understand penalties by o-lineman on TD passes, as well as fumbles at the opponent's 1 yard line.

Let's hear some specifics. Do your homework. Hopefully, better than you did when reading the UM red book (and then compounding your mistake in a half dozen or so mistakes).

I know that I've caught you in mistakes and stung you a few times in the past, but do you think it's helps the board for you to continue to chase me around with BS stuff like this?

BWahlberg said:
PlayerRep said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

All this and as I stated earlier the longest completion was for 15 yards. 0 passes down field completed. I am also fairly confident that the 15 yarder was an pass to the running back behind the LOS. He ran the 15 yards after catch.
The opposing D plays the short passes and shut us down. 41-0

reinell30 said:
As long as Sneed keeps throwing to Sammy Akem, his numbers will get better. Sammy has the best hands of the WR's!

For sure. And his size and length make him a tough cover for anyone in the BSC. I also like his on field attitude. Shows a very competitive nature going for a ball and doesn't get alligator arms going across the middle like some.....

IdahoGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
PlayerRep said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

All this and as I stated earlier the longest completion was for 15 yards. 0 passes down field completed. I am also fairly confident that the 15 yarder was an pass to the running back behind the LOS. He ran the 15 yards after catch.
The opposing D plays the short passes and shut us down. 41-0

If the opposing team “plays”!the short passes, and given that there were some drops and some missed longer passes, and one interception, how do you explain that Sneed was 25-37? How many of the 12 were longer passes and drops? Would like to see your math on this. The numbers are t adding up.

Ursus1 said:
reinell30 said:

For sure. And his size and length make him a tough cover for anyone in the BSC. I also like his on field attitude. Shows a very competitive nature going for a ball and doesn't get alligator arms going across the middle like some.....

He will fight for the ball, unlike Curran. Akem could play on Sunday... Throw him the ball!

reinell30 said:
Ursus1 said:
reinell30 said:

He will fight for the ball, unlike Curran. Akem could play on Sunday... Throw him the ball!

Yup. And That’s exactly what Humphrey did. Give akem more chances to make a play

CatzWillRise said:
I've only watched a few quarters worth of Griz football this year. When I have, it seems Sneed is running for his life about 80% of the time. My question is can any other QB on the roster not get sacked a ton besides Sneed? That alone would keep in the starter IMO.

The best QB "on the roster" is the phrase of the year. Bobby ran off the one guy we had that could actually pass pretty good.

"Sophomore quarterback Gresch Jensen was selected as the week 2 SCFA National Division "Co-Offensive Player of the Week".
The Hornet's Jensen was able to get the No. 2 Hornets past No. 3 Riverside City College on the road throwing for 410 yards, 2 TD passes, and no interceptions. Proving to have an accurate arm, Jensen was 25 of 35 in completions. "

Fullerton is now 6-0 and Jensen has 12 TDs and 4 INTS, fyi.

Zirg said:
CatzWillRise said:

The best QB "on the roster" is the phrase of the year. Bobby ran off the one guy we had that could actually pass pretty good.

"Sophomore quarterback Gresch Jensen was selected as the week 2 SCFA National Division "Co-Offensive Player of the Week".
The Hornet's Jensen was able to get the No. 2 Hornets past No. 3 Riverside City College on the road throwing for 410 yards, 2 TD passes, and no interceptions. Proving to have an accurate arm, Jensen was 25 of 35 in completions. "

:roll:

Grizzly96 said:
Zirg said:
CatzWillRise said:

:roll:

Two sides to every story...

Back