• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Staff Shortages at stadium

...not a bozeman/missoula problem...
...this is a world wide problem...
...the biggest reason is fear...

... :shock: ...

zengriz said:
...not a bozeman/missoula problem...
...this is a world wide problem...
...the biggest reason is fear...

... :shock: ...

I have a relative who is a PA and another who is a nurse. The fear isn’t unwarranted. Hospitals are indeed full of people with covid and respirators are indeed getting scarce. It’s not a hoax. It’s real, and unfortunately many will find that out the hard way when it’s too late. Many will also find that this affects all of us. What happens when you need to go to the hospital, but it’s full? It’s a very real possibility and something worth our attention.

Just a wild guess. People do not want to work in jobs serving the public during a raging pandemic. In Montana it is likely that every other customer that one serves is unvaccinated.

It is primarily the unvaccinated that are contracting Covid, filling our hospitals and dying. Missoula County had 233 new cases reported today. Might be time to consider getting a jab. It is free.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
Since the concessions obviously cannot keep up with demand, the university needs to rethink their policy on allowing in outside food and drink. Buying even a soda during halftime of the Western Illinois game was absolutely impossible.

Email Halsem. I completely agree.

I did. I'm assuming the answer will be no but they need to come up with a solution.

AZGrizFan said:
3-7-77 said:
My questions were sincere, just wanting to know WHY, if known. No need for sarcasm and, A) smart ass, quips. A simple straight forward answer was all I wanted.
I realize WGS is smack in the middle of 'Blue State-ism,' and people have been spoon fed that Covid paranoia for a year and a half. All those other big govt handouts are probably contributing to the shortage, but that is just MY OPINION.

Jesus H. Christ you've got some thin skin. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amen….. :thumb:

I will be going in much earlier as I just had a total left hip replacement. Moving kind of slow now.

I had not witnessed this labor shortage in person where I live. People seem to want to work, and I haven't seen any shortening of hours, closed days, etc. However, I was in North Idaho two months ago, and nearly every place I went had signs up announcing "New shortened hours", "closed on Mondays", etc. It was eye-opening. Seems pretty bad up there when it comes to that.

3-7-77 said:
My questions were sincere, just wanting to know WHY, if known. No need for sarcasm and, A) smart ass, quips. A simple straight forward answer was all I wanted.
I realize WGS is smack in the middle of 'Blue State-ism,' and people have been spoon fed that Covid paranoia for a year and a half. All those other big govt handouts are probably contributing to the shortage, but that is just MY OPINION.

i disagreed with the amount and length of time of the raise in unemployment benefits, and in stopping evictions of long-term non-payers, to the point that i sold a house instead of renting it, because the state it was in basically told us who we could rent to, and made (makes) it close to impossible to get a non-paying tenant to leave without waiting over a year. but as written multiple times above, unemployment benefits, etc, were cut short in montana. not sure what the situation is for landlords. regardless, you seem fixated on blaming government handouts that were stopped in montana. it is more complicated than that, and, as noted, the cost of housing, etc, has skyrocketed in montana. in a work-at-home world, where the very well-paid can live wherever they want, a 'side-effect', so to speak, is that the working class the work-at-home crowd depends on can't afford to live in the same zip code, so of course they are going to do something else other than pay half their salary renting a crappy place, just to serve you and me.

CDAGRIZ said:
I had not witnessed this labor shortage in person where I live. People seem to want to work, and I haven't seen any shortening of hours, closed days, etc. However, I was in North Idaho two months ago, and nearly every place I went had signs up announcing "New shortened hours", "closed on Mondays", etc. It was eye-opening. Seems pretty bad up there when it comes to that.

Those darn Libs in blue North Idaho pandering for more government handouts.

AZGrizFan said:
3-7-77 said:
WHY the staff shortages, whether at the gates or concessions? Curious, not critical.

have you been living in a cave for the past 18 months? EVERYONE is experiencing staff shortages because people have been being paid not to work by our benevolent government. 8 million unemployed....10.9 million job openings.

Yeah the reason for staff shortages has nothing to do with unemployment benefits. That's a false and disproven right wing talking point. Just look at Florida - and Montana - they ended the unemployment benefits plus up months ago and staff shortages have just increased.

So yes Covid - and the cost of living in Missoula is adding a huge local factor - no not because people get a measly unemployment check that would not even cover renting a closet in Missoula and was ended months ago by our troll governor anyway.

HelenaHandBasket said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I guess I didn't make any sort of political connection with it. It was very surprising, however. My parents had told me about it, but it didn't really register until I saw it in person.

HelenaHandBasket said:
CDAGRIZ said:

It is bad here but not for the reasons you might think. There are a lot of jobs now rehiring and a lot of people just don't want to work the service industry jobs and moved on to other jobs. It is getting better now but not much. I myself had my position cut in a food manufacturing company and switched to a work from home job with a new company during the pandemic. They asked for me to come back now as they are struggling but I stayed with the new job. Happened with a lot of people I know.

Here is something reported by KPAX on the shortage of workers:

https://www.kpax.com/news/missoula-county/shortage-of-workers-impacting-missoula-businesses

It is a nationwide problem. Remember not to long ago about the Missoula Hospitals trying to employ additional Nurses but was very hard to do because the cost of rent and housing was too high.

CDAGRIZ said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I guess I didn't make any sort of political connection with it. It was very surprising, however. My parents had told me about it, but it didn't really register until I saw it in person.

That post is dripping with sarcasm. North Idaho is neither blue nor liberal.

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Really? I've never lived there for ~30 years. I was just commenting on what I observed and how it differs from what I see day-to-day where I am. It's pretty rampant up there right now from what I saw, but maybe it's different now.

TrueGriz said:
Here is something reported by KPAX on the shortage of workers:

https://www.kpax.com/news/missoula-county/shortage-of-workers-impacting-missoula-businesses

Exactly what I was looking for, TrueGriz. The last paragraph is telling.

It's easy to miss the forest for the trees (or covid irrational panic). When I worked concessions in my day nearly everyone I worked with was on work study. When the incoming classes are half of what they used to be your losing a lot of kids that would be on work study, and hence, fewer students to fill those jobs. Most of the kids I worked with would rather attend the football game/basketball game/whole Van Halen concert than work, that is, they would rather have other work study gigs.

It's simple math. 1500 work study kids and 1000 jobs, all jobs are filled.
750 work study kids and 1000 jobs, can't get workers.

did you see the student section at the game? Most of the college kids don't give a f*ck about covid unless it closes their favorite restaurant/bar/liquor store, so get off the covid excuses.

horribilisfan8184 said:
It's easy to miss the forest for the trees (or covid irrational panic). When I worked concessions in my day nearly everyone I worked with was on work study. When the incoming classes are half of what they used to be your losing a lot of kids that would be on work study, and hence, fewer students to fill those jobs. Most of the kids I worked with would rather attend the football game/basketball game/whole Van Halen concert than work, that is, they would rather have other work study gigs.

It's simple math. 1500 work study kids and 1000 jobs, all jobs are filled.
750 work study kids and 1000 jobs, can't get workers.

did you see the student section at the game? Most of the college kids don't give a f*ck about covid unless it closes their favorite restaurant/bar/liquor store, so get off the covid excuses.
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:

It's a Hitler hangout.

Back