• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Staff Shortages at stadium

I know one guy that I would guess is in his early 50's that has been a ticket taker as a side gig for a few years. He told me he isn't doing it this year strictly because of Covid. Also check what the university pays for various jobs advertised. They have jobs requiring a masters paying $18 and hour. I can only guess that if someone is looking for a side job they can make way more doing almost anything else.

GottaluvGriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Have those benefits run out yet? In Montana the governor put an end to them and added a bonus to go back to work. Which might suggest something else is afoot

Exactly,
The states that eliminated the additional unemployment benefits have seen minimal to zero bounce in additional employment as compared to the rest of the country.
Lower paying service jobs are struggling everywhere to get enough staff. More likely reason for shortages is with Covid, many people will not expose themselves for those type job opportunities.
Go Griz!

Thank you for further opening my eyes to the root causes of this phenomenon.

So not working and staying in their parents' basements is preferable to reentering the work force and working for a paycheck? I see it now: they are people who welcome being dependent on on mom and dad or Uncle Sam rather than self-sufficient. The kind of person that would love to someday move in with and be supported by your hardworking kid. Friggin snowflakes. This is why you DON'T FEED THE BEARS in the wild (or after games for that matter).

I think there are several things happening right now. Here's a single example that is part of a very complex issue. I work with young people and this is what I've heard from some of them. (not that they speak for the entire younger generation) There is almost a "being on strike" feeling among some of them when it comes to employment. They are proposing a $40/hr. wage, 20 hr. work week, free tuition, free healthcare, reduced housing/rent, and generous vacation time. All of this is assumed to be easily paid for by making the rich "pay their fair share."

Naturally, there is no consideration given to how this proposal will affect inflation, cost of living, taxes, supply chain, continued staffing issues due to the 20 hr. week, etc. They are kids and really don't have much experience with the broader scope of life. Having said all of this, I know quite a few who are hard-working and impressive people. I still have some hope for the future but there is a lot of pressure on kids to believe the worst of those with money and to assume that they are owed things which actually need to be earned.

BleacherCreature said:
I think there are several things happening right now. Here's a single example that is part of a very complex issue. I work with young people and this is what I've heard from some of them. (not that they speak for the entire younger generation) There is almost a "being on strike" feeling among some of them when it comes to employment. They are proposing a $40/hr. wage, 20 hr. work week, free tuition, free healthcare, reduced housing/rent, and generous vacation time. All of this is assumed to be easily paid for by making the rich "pay their fair share."

Naturally, there is no consideration given to how this proposal will affect inflation, cost of living, taxes, supply chain, continued staffing issues due to the 20 hr. week, etc. They are kids and really don't have much experience with the broader scope of life. Having said all of this, I know quite a few who are hard-working and impressive people. I still have some hope for the future but there is a lot of pressure on kids to believe the worst of those with money and to assume that they are owed things which actually need to be earned.

i highly doubt that is an accurate synopsis of what any young people said or think. all you old people are just like all the old people before you, whining and bitching about the 'kids', i.e. what you used to be. egriz takes it to a new level, with a bunch of entitled old men who think they are better than everybody else, and that the kids should get back to serving them, rather than doing what they want to do. no twenty year old to deliver your geriatric meds? i'm so sorry.

To Griz Phan

Maybe you should read the CDC report for Vaccination time line. If you were vaccinated & it's been more than 13 days, then you will be counted as "Unvaccinated". My daughter works for a major hospital in the mid-west, & says people who are entering the hospital that got the Covid shot & are past the Vax date, are being counted as Unvaccinated patients. This is why the surge in hospital over crowding... Quit blaming the Unvaxxed on the spread of covid, if the jabs worked, we would'nt see the overcrowding....

argh! said:
i highly doubt that is an accurate synopsis of what any young people said or think. all you old people are just like all the old people before you, whining and bitching about the 'kids', i.e. what you used to be. egriz takes it to a new level, with a bunch of entitled old men who think they are better than everybody else, and that the kids should get back to serving them, rather than doing what they want to do. no twenty year old to deliver your geriatric meds? i'm so sorry.

You can doubt all you want and get as angry as you like. Reread the post. I did acknowledge that those I've spoken with don't speak for their entire generation. I also said that I know many young people who are great. However, I did not exaggerate anything about the proposal I've heard. I'm just putting it out there as a mindset that exists with some people and could be contributing to the difficulty in staffing businesses. I apologize if my post has offended you. That was not my intent.

autogriz said:
To Griz Phan

Maybe you should read the CDC report for Vaccination time line. If you were vaccinated & it's been more than 13 days, then you will be counted as "Unvaccinated". My daughter works for a major hospital in the mid-west, & says people who are entering the hospital that got the Covid shot & are past the Vax date, are being counted as Unvaccinated patients. This is why the surge in hospital over crowding... Quit blaming the Unvaxxed on the spread of covid, if the jabs worked, we would'nt see the overcrowding....

Uhh, what now again?

BleacherCreature said:

Said every generation about the next generation every year since Adam and Eve had Cain.

EverettGriz said:
autogriz said:
To Griz Phan

Uhh, what now again?

I think he is confused. When you receive your vaccine 2nd dose or J&J single you are not considered fully vaccinated until 14 days after the shot. As it takes that amount of time for your body to produce antibodies in significant volume. If you are hospitalized 13 days or less after the shot you are considered unvaccinated technically. He seems to think it is the opposite way around that after 13 days the shot is no longer effective.

argh! said:
BleacherCreature said:

:clap: I don't want to wade too far into this, but I posit that the generation above is the most entitled generation in the history of the United States. Buy a house for $35k at 22, retire at 62, and wonder why the youngsters can't just do the same. That said, I know quite a few hard-working and impressive people in that generation.

EverettGriz said:
BleacherCreature said:

Said every generation about the next generation every year since Adam and Eve had Cain.

You might not want to cite history where the lazy, spoiled, stingy farmer child kills the industrious, generous sibling shepherd child out of jealousy, proving the point you were trying to minimize by historical reference.

CDAGRIZ said:
argh! said:

:clap: I don't want to wade too far into this, but I posit that the generation above is the most entitled generation in the history of the United States. Buy a house for $35k at 22, retire at 62, and wonder why the youngsters can't just do the same. That said, I know quite a few hard-working and impressive people in that generation.

When my wife and I were looking at buying a bigger house in Bozeman about 5-6 years ago, my mom told me "Just trade your house with someone who wants a smaller house. That is what we did in 1979 when we moved into our house". Sure mom, let me see if anyone wants to TRADE their 2,800 Square Foot house for our 900 Square Foot house strait up... (FYI we sold our 900 Sq Ft for $250,000..... 5 years later it is worth $420,000)

Maybe the forestry dept and administration could hire some of those eco terrorists they hosted back in the 80's and 90's to help out..
Wups , I forgot they work for the federal government nowadays. :eek: :lol:

argh! said:
BleacherCreature said:

:clap: I find it incredibly ironic and incredibly difficult to listen to baby boomers bitching about another generation.

futuregrizer said:
Maybe the forestry dept and administration could hire some of those eco terrorists they hosted back in the 80's and 90's to help out..
Wups , I forgot they work for the federal government nowadays. :eek: :lol:
Others of us went into teaching/indoctrinating the next generation of leftist tree huggers. Course in southern Saskatchewan you have to explain to the kids what a tree is first.

RayWill said:
EverettGriz said:
Uhh, what now again?

I think he is confused. When you receive your vaccine 2nd dose or J&J single you are not considered fully vaccinated until 14 days after the shot. As it takes that amount of time for your body to produce antibodies in significant volume. If you are hospitalized 13 days or less after the shot you are considered unvaccinated technically. He seems to think it is the opposite way around that after 13 days the shot is no longer effective.

Impressive detective work, Ray!! I read nothing but frontier gibberish.

Back