• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Terry Dillon

SEAKGriz said:
My best memory of Terry Dillon on the field was at old Dornblaser (of course), against the Lobos of U of New Mexico. Would have been 1963, I think. Terry back to punt, (he was a real triple threat player, ran, passed, kicked AND played defense, at least thats the way I remember it), took the punt around the right end for a first down. I was down close enough to that play to see, hear, and feel the sheer guts and determination he had that NOBODY was going to stop him. Remember it like it was yesterday. I knew him personally and considered him a friend. Him a BMOC and me a nothing on campus. He was a down to earth real nice guy. Out of the numerous games I played against him on that old bowling machine down at the Candle I think I won once. He was one of those people that were just naturally good at anything physical. I also remember the east west shrine game and the thrill of his interception. As to the accident, the way I remember it is this. It was on that bridge just after the nine mile exit if you are headed west on I 90. That bridge is taller then it looks on the east end, for those who have never been under it. He was driving a cement buggy(a small kind of ATV sized thing with a hopper that is filled with concrete and driven out and dumped) when an axle broke and dropped the buggy onto the plank decking and broke it. He and the machine fell through to a river at spring runoff height. Some said they thought they saw him trying to swim afterwards, but who knows. Many, many, many people spent days seaching for him downstream to no avail. I believe his remains were recoverd near Lake Pend Oreille months later.

I was at that game as well, the Griz were huge underdogs, (as they were in almost ever game that season) but thanks to Terry Dillion and the rest of the team that day, we won 40 to 8, one of the best games ever in old Dornblazer. What a sad day it was when word spread across campus that day that Terry had fallen into the river, many students walked the river for several days looking for him, but my recollection is the same that it was months later when they found his body.

kemajic said:
They made those changes in 1965.

Really glad to see this post regarding Terry, particularly for the younger eGrizers. He was a star in the old Skyline Conference when the Griz had very few - the Ray Jenkins era. And he was just getting better and better with the Vikes. A great athlete and a clutch performer. Tom Hauck played with him.

Every Griz fan needs to appreciate #22....

As did my dad. And Gene Tripp. Two of the best "old" guys around.

...this is a very touching thread...
...heres to #22 :beer2: ...
...may he continue to r.. i..p...

...god bless.. all the athletes..that work construction...

Griz63 said:
SEAKGriz said:
My best memory of Terry Dillon on the field was at old Dornblaser (of course), against the Lobos of U of New Mexico. Would have been 1963, I think. Terry back to punt, (he was a real triple threat player, ran, passed, kicked AND played defense, at least thats the way I remember it), took the punt around the right end for a first down. I was down close enough to that play to see, hear, and feel the sheer guts and determination he had that NOBODY was going to stop him. Remember it like it was yesterday. I knew him personally and considered him a friend. Him a BMOC and me a nothing on campus. He was a down to earth real nice guy. Out of the numerous games I played against him on that old bowling machine down at the Candle I think I won once. He was one of those people that were just naturally good at

anything physical. I also remember the east west shrine game and the thrill of his interception. As to the accident, the way I remember it is this. It was on that bridge just after the nine mile exit if you are headed west on I 90. That bridge is taller then it looks on the east end, for those who have never been under it. He was driving a cement buggy(a small kind of ATV sized thing with a hopper that is filled with concrete and driven out and dumped) when an axle broke and dropped the buggy onto the plank decking and broke it. He and the machine fell through to a river at spring runoff height. Some said they thought they saw him trying to swim afterwards, but who knows. Many, many, many people spent days seaching for him downstream to no avail. I believe his remains were recoverd near Lake Pend Oreille months later.

I was at that game as well, the Griz were huge underdogs, (as they were in almost ever game that season) but thanks to Terry Dillion and the rest of the team that day, we won 40 to 8, one of the best games ever in old Dornblazer. What a sad day it was when word spread across campus that day that Terry had fallen into the river, many students walked the river for several days looking for him, but my recollection is the same that it was months later when they found his body.

Just a correction on Terry Dillon's last year as a Grizzly, he was a senior in the Fall of 1962 and with the Vikings in 1963. A friend of mine was a freshman that year and remembers having to scrimmage against Terry and varsity several times.

I wish I had seen him play. I wonder if anyone has old footage they could transfer to a disc.[/quote]

That would be priceless; I would love to see anything with Terry in action as a Griz. C'mon eGrizers, search!

I saw him play in old Dornblaser. He was a gifted athlete, but I also knew him off the field. He was polite, humble..his early death was a tragedy. Seeing his name on the board this week has brought back many memories of UM, Missoula and a wonderful period of college life at a great university.

I too, am very happy to see this post on Terry Dillon. In the Spring of 1964, I was in the process of selecting a scholarship offer to play football. I had receiveved a letter from UM (then MSU), but hadn't given it much thought. I then saw a large photograph and article in the Sacramento Bee with the headline "Viling Star Missing, Presumed Drowned." I read the article and followed the stories in the media. The result was I accepted a scholarship from UM and the new coaching staff promised me a summer job in Missoula. I arrived in Missoula in mid-june, worked at the Bonner Mill and kept all the newspaper articles on Terry Dillon in a scrapbook. This thread has prompted me to review that scrapbook.

The details of the accident are related above. The Missoulian article said that "A portion of the bridge flooring gave way...and Dillon and the machine fell 75 feet into the runoff-swollen river." There were several stories during the summer of 1964 in regards to finding his body. It was finally found in August, 17 miles downstream from the bridge at Nine Mile.

The Terry Dillon award originally went to the outstanding player regardless of position. The first recipient was LB Wayne Harrington. The award is now given to the outstanding back or receiver. I was very proud two years ago when I relayed the story of Terry Dillon to the parents of Jefferson Heidelberger after he won the award.

Terry Dillon was honored by the Minnesota Viking in the opening game in 1964 against the New York Giants. The newspaper article regarding the tribute said Ed Martini, acting general manager of the Vikings, said a souvenir program would be dedicated to Dillon and the crowd would be asked to observe a moment of silence. Martin added we want to pay tribute to him not only because of his football ability but more because of the type of young Christian man he was. He said the Vikings would make a substantial contribution to the Terry Dillon Memorial Scholarship fund at MSU from the proceeds of the game."

Unfortunately, the University wasn't very good on promotional endeavors in those days and I don't believe there is any designation of a Terry Dillon Memorial Scholarship. Might be interesting to implement such a scholarship for a special Griz.

Terry is well known as a gifted running back, punter etc. etc. for the Griz. Because he intercepted a pass in the East West Shrine game he obviously was playing defense in that game. He also played defense for the Vikings. My question is did he play both ways for the Grizzlies? I am guessing the answer is Yes!!!

100%GRIZ said:
Terry is well known as a gifted running back, punter etc. etc. for the Griz. Because he intercepted a pass in the East West Shrine game he obviously was playing defense in that game. He also played defense for the Vikings. My question is did he play both ways for the Grizzlies? I am guessing the answer is Yes!!!

Yes, he did play both sides of the ball, as did others in those days.

rodmac48 said:
I too, am very happy to see this post on Terry Dillon. In the Spring of 1964, I was in the process of selecting a scholarship offer to play football. I had receiveved a letter from UM (then MSU), but hadn't given it much thought. I then saw a large photograph and article in the Sacramento Bee with the headline "Viling Star Missing, Presumed Drowned." I read the article and followed the stories in the media. The result was I accepted a scholarship from UM and the new coaching staff promised me a summer job in Missoula. I arrived in Missoula in mid-june, worked at the Bonner Mill and kept all the newspaper articles on Terry Dillon in a scrapbook. This thread has prompted me to review that scrapbook.

The details of the accident are related above. The Missoulian article said that "A portion of the bridge flooring gave way...and Dillon and the machine fell 75 feet into the runoff-swollen river." There were several stories during the summer of 1964 in regards to finding his body. It was finally found in August, 17 miles downstream from the bridge at Nine Mile.

The Terry Dillon award originally went to the outstanding player regardless of position. The first recipient was LB Wayne Harrington. The award is now given to the outstanding back or receiver. I was very proud two years ago when I relayed the story of Terry Dillon to the parents of Jefferson Heidelberger after he won the award.

Terry Dillon was honored by the Minnesota Viking in the opening game in 1964 against the New York Giants. The newspaper article regarding the tribute said Ed Martini, acting general manager of the Vikings, said a souvenir program would be dedicated to Dillon and the crowd would be asked to observe a moment of silence. Martin added we want to pay tribute to him not only because of his football ability but more because of the type of young Christian man he was. He said the Vikings would make a substantial contribution to the Terry Dillon Memorial Scholarship fund at MSU from the proceeds of the game."

Unfortunately, the University wasn't very good on promotional endeavors in those days and I don't believe there is any designation of a Terry Dillon Memorial Scholarship. Might be interesting to implement such a scholarship for a special Griz.

So how's Rod the Bod doing?

There was a period of time (late 50's early 60's) when the NCAA limited scholarships and mandated players played both ways. You could only sub one player at a time (IE: the QB). There was a lot of 2 way stars then. Dick Butkus for instance was an all American at Ill at center and MLB. Merlin Olson at Utah St was two way all American at OT and DT. Played several times at Old Dornblaser.

Kemajic - I'm doing fine. Thanks for asking. I'll be in Flagstaff for the game next week and in Missoula for Portland State. Haven't decided yet about the Bobcats yet. I hate Bozeman. Always cold and windy with ugly fans.

rodmac48 said:
Kemajic - I'm doing fine. Thanks for asking. I'll be in Flagstaff for the game next week and in Missoula for Portland State. Haven't decided yet about the Bobcats yet. I hate Bozeman. Always cold and windy with ugly fans.

Rod the Bod?? You guys sound pretty tight. :shocked:

Grizbacker1 said:
rodmac48 said:

Reminds me of you and Superhornet.

Big One 25 said:
Grizbacker1 said:
rodmac48 said:

Reminds me of you and Superhornet.

Ouch! :naughty:

OK - I don't know about the rest of you but in Honor of Terry Dillon, next year during every game Home and Away I am going to proudly wear a new Griz Jersey #22 with Dillon on the back. It will be the 25th anniversary of Terry's tragic death. I never had the honor of actually seeing Terry play but from what everyone said on this thread I believe he should never be forgotten!!! Who is with me?

I believe his remains were recoverd near Lake Pend Oreille months later.

He was a good one.

Terry and I were classmates, although I was not privileged to have known him personally.

I'm somewhat amazed at the details of this death. Having gone "safely" into the Army after graduation in 1962, I heard about his death some years later. The recollection of the articles I have in memory is that his remains were never found.

From "a hunting accident" to "recoverd in two days" to "recovered near Lake Pend Oreille" Idaho is a pretty broad brush of possiblilities. And I'm not challenging anybody's story here; I'm just perplexed.

Does anybody have the real story?

Tom

Back