• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Terry Dillon

grizzfan said:
I believe his remains were recoverd near Lake Pend Oreille months later.

He was a good one.

Terry and I were classmates, although I was not privileged to have known him personally.

I'm somewhat amazed at the details of this death. Having gone "safely" into the Army after graduation in 1962, I heard about his death some years later. The recollection of the articles I have in memory is that his remains were never found.

From "a hunting accident" to "recoverd in two days" to "recovered near Lake Pend Oreille" Idaho is a pretty broad brush of possiblilities. And I'm not challenging anybody's story here; I'm just perplexed.

Does anybody have the real story?

Tom

I got that "hunting accident" story off his HS website where he had been inducted into their Hall of Fame. I think that the construction accident is pretty accurate based on who posted it. Rodmac was around in those days so I am sure he knows.

grizzfan said:
I believe his remains were recoverd near Lake Pend Oreille months later.

He was a good one.

Terry and I were classmates, although I was not privileged to have known him personally.

I'm somewhat amazed at the details of this death. Having gone "safely" into the Army after graduation in 1962, I heard about his death some years later. The recollection of the articles I have in memory is that his remains were never found.

From "a hunting accident" to "recoverd in two days" to "recovered near Lake Pend Oreille" Idaho is a pretty broad brush of possiblilities. And I'm not challenging anybody's story here; I'm just perplexed.

Does anybody have the real story?

Tom

I just read this thread, and I know 100% it was a road construction accident of some sort on a bridge as started by most. The "hunting Accident" report is 100% bogus. I have never heard that before, and no credence should be given to that whatsoever. Now the exact location of the accident and when and where his body was recovered I can't confirm, but MY source said the accient occurred "west of Alberton" as well and I have always known/thought it was the long-span bridge where the kayakers are active below between Alberton and Tarkio and I know Mick would have done his proper research, so that part of the story can be assured. My friend had told me the story a few times over the years (when we crossed the bridge on Griz road-trips) as Terry was working on my friends' grandfather's road-crew, so my info is pretty first-hand.

I have wondered the exact details myself, and I am sure the truth lies somewhere in these posts.

To the people wondering about the reference to MSU. That is what UM was known by when Terry played . The designation of UM came later and Bozeman (known as MSC at the time) took over the title on MSU. It took me many years to reconcile MSU with the Bobcats.

Terry Dillon

Date of Birth: August 18, 1941, in Waukesha, Wisconsin

Date of Death: May 28, 1964, in Missoula, Montana (22 years old)

Source:

The Spokesman Review - Published 07/21/64

Terry Dillon drowned when he fell through temporary decking on a bridge

over Clark Fork River located near Missoula, Montana.

Did you know?

Terry Dillon was working on a bridge construction project 25 miles

west of Missoula when part of the temporary decking gave way and

he fell 50 feet into the swift-running Clark Fork River. Witnesses

said Dillon, a strong swimmer, started swimming for shore, fighting

the current, but disappeared after traveling about 200 yards. His body

was found on July 17th by a fisherman about 17 miles downstream

from the bridge.

In 1965, Rip Hawkins received the first "Terry Dillon" award given by

the Minnesota Vikings in honor of their late teammate.

Teams:

1963 Minnesota Vikings (NFL)

College:

Montana State University (University of Montana)

Griz63 said:
SEAKGriz said:
My best memory of Terry Dillon on the field was at old Dornblaser (of course), against the Lobos of U of New Mexico. Would have been 1963, I think. Terry back to punt, (he was a real triple threat player, ran, passed, kicked AND played defense, at least thats the way I remember it), took the punt around the right end for a first down. I was down close enough to that play to see, hear, and feel the sheer guts and determination he had that NOBODY was going to stop him. Remember it like it was yesterday. I knew him personally and considered him a friend. Him a BMOC and me a nothing on campus. He was a down to earth real nice guy. Out of the numerous games I played against him on that old bowling machine down at the Candle I think I won once. He was one of those people that were just naturally good at anything physical. I also remember the east west shrine game and the thrill of his interception. As to the accident, the way I remember it is this. It was on that bridge just after the nine mile exit if you are headed west on I 90. That bridge is taller then it looks on the east end, for those who have never been under it. He was driving a cement buggy(a small kind of ATV sized thing with a hopper that is filled with concrete and driven out and dumped) when an axle broke and dropped the buggy onto the plank decking and broke it. He and the machine fell through to a river at spring runoff height. Some said they thought they saw him trying to swim afterwards, but who knows. Many, many, many people spent days seaching for him downstream to no avail. I believe his remains were recoverd near Lake Pend Oreille months later.

I was at that game as well, the Griz were huge underdogs, (as they were in almost ever game that season) but thanks to Terry Dillion and the rest of the team that day, we won 40 to 8, one of the best games ever in old Dornblazer. What a sad day it was when word spread across campus that day that Terry had fallen into the river, many students walked the river for several days looking for him, but my recollection is the same that it was months later when they found his body.
Believe it was fall of 62 and New Mex had the great Don Perkins at running back and Bobby Santiago at Qb. Probably one of the biggest upsets of that era.

Dan Foley was an old Laurel Legion baseball teammate and friend. Bless him for the article. Rodmac and I came there in the fall of '64 in part because of TD's legacy and wound up as roomates.

Thanks for the article and the history. It was great to see the "MSU thing" regarding UM finally explained. The tragic loss of Mr. Dillon reminds me of Anaconda native Wayne Estes passing while a basketball player at USU, also in the '60s.

I would like to see the Griz beat New Mexico all the time :D The would probably beat New Mexico, or make a good game of it anyway.

When Terry Dillon played, we competed against many good teams, unlike Northern Colorado, Southern Utah and other Big Sky teams of today. Although, I knew Terry, I don't know what he would have to say about the Big Sky Conference and FCS football.

Back