• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Holsinger/Haslam Massacre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Washgrizfan1 said:
Playerrep has been largest financial supporter of the dance team and before that the cheer squad for 10 years or so. Also, when the dance team had to start paying their way to the conference basketball tournament several years ago, he helped them raise a majority of the necessary funds, many thousands of dollars, by introducing them to friends of his whom he knew would contribute a few hundred or even a thousand in some cases. Over the years, you may have noticed the dance team talking to him after games inf front of his seats (thanking him for his help).

All true, hell I even tried contacting him one year to have the dance team stop in our town to perform for the boys and girls club and have lunch before continuing to Reno for tournament. That still doesn't mean his opinion is any more important on the decisions the head basketball coach makes. I hope for the dance teams sake he still goes to games and supports them. I also hope the new coach makes the Griz into a powerhouse.

Mousegriz said:
goatcreekgriz said:
The term “massacre” is a misnomer here. Inflammatory by design?

Almost Little-Bighorn-Like. But 6 or 7 cuts short!

Over six years before Little Bighorn, the U.S. military massacred over 170 Blackfeet (mostly women and children) along the Marias River in probably the most disgustingly shameful event in Montana history. While I understand the use of “massacre” here to be hyperbole, and it is used in conjunction with a Native player who played high school ball at Box Elder, I think it was an unfortunate word choice.

I am completely and totally fine and actually support the cuts. This is big girl basketball. This is not intramurals or recreational leagues. If our football team sucked ass I would want the same exact thing to happen. This roster was full of NAIA players and now it looks like those may be gone. They can still go play hoops in division two or NAIA and I’m sure they’ll be fine. We need some legitimate talent and the staff is about to bring some in. The hiring of Nate Harris was a big move!

PlayerRep said:
6 players cut in first week or so by the new coach. Out of 13 on the roster, so only 7 remain. 4 from Montana cut, including 1 Native American.

I say this is unprecedented in women's basketball, but feel free to show us some examples of a new coach cutting 6 players in the first week.

I am not going to be associated with or a supporter of a program that treats their scholar-athletes like this, other than to toss in some comments/questions from time to time.

This is Haslam's 3d try at replacing Selvig. Hopefully, three's the charm.

Will the new coach play favorites with the new players he brings in? Hope not.

Looks like big turmoil for the LG program for awhile.

Let's win at all costs.
This happens at almost every university when a new coach comes in. Especially when the team was bad and the talent was thin. With the instant transfer rule this year why wouldn't both sides go their seperate ways if there is any doubt about fit.

flatheadgriz406 said:
PlayerRep said:
6 players cut in first week or so by the new coach. Out of 13 on the roster, so only 7 remain. 4 from Montana cut, including 1 Native American.

I say this is unprecedented in women's basketball, but feel free to show us some examples of a new coach cutting 6 players in the first week.

I am not going to be associated with or a supporter of a program that treats their scholar-athletes like this, other than to toss in some comments/questions from time to time.

This is Haslam's 3d try at replacing Selvig. Hopefully, three's the charm.

Will the new coach play favorites with the new players he brings in? Hope not.

Looks like big turmoil for the LG program for awhile.

Let's win at all costs.
This happens at almost every university when a new coach comes in. Especially when the team was bad and the talent was thin. With the instant transfer rule this year why wouldn't both sides go their seperate ways if there is any doubt about fit.

Then show us examples of where the new women’s coach cut 6 of the 13 players in the first week. My belief is that this is unprecedented or virtually unprecedented at this level of women’s basketball.

HookedonGriz said:
I am completely and totally fine and actually support the cuts. This is big girl basketball. This is not intramurals or recreational leagues. If our football team sucked ass I would want the same exact thing to happen. This roster was full of NAIA players and now it looks like those may be gone. They can still go play hoops in division two or NAIA and I’m sure they’ll be fine. We need some legitimate talent and the staff is about to bring some in. The hiring of Nate Harris was a big move!

I don’t agree the roster was full of naia players. Had the team had the two who transferred at end of last season, the team would have been fine this year.

If the team has only 4 d-1 players as someone from the athletic dept supposedly said,
why didn’t 3 more get cut?

Hopefully, the coach, who has only been head coach in naia, will be a d-1 coach.

With the year off of in-person, Petrino being liked by fans, the LG fans being older, fewer Montanans on the team and presumably in the future, no Native Americans on the team, the cuts, and at least a few people being irked, it will be interesting to see what happens to the LG support. Men’s support hasn’t been great even in the best years. Maybe it will be great.

PlayerRep said:
My belief is that this is unprecedented or virtually unprecedented at this level of women’s basketball.

My belief, why does it matter? My second belief, covid and the portal make this off season different than any previously and by doing this quickly, both the Griz coaches and the girls that were not renewed, have a better chance to navigate the waters.

PlayerRep said:
I don’t agree the roster was full of naia players. Had the team had the two who transferred at end of last season, the team would have been fine this year.

Probably would mean that 2 of the girls that were not renewed would never have been on the roster.

I am also someone that has seen Joelnell play, and was never a believer that she was a D1 player. The main reason was she is not super athletic and a liability on the defensive end of the floor. She is a shooter, but I believe she would struggle getting her own shot with the quickness of D1 defenders. I think she could be a terrific D2 or NAIA player though.

PlayerRep said:
flatheadgriz406 said:

Then show us examples of where the new women’s coach cut 6 of the 13 players in the first week. My belief is that this is unprecedented or virtually unprecedented at this level of women’s basketball.
But it’s not a massacre.

If I were to say we should “circle the wagons”around Holsinger/Haslem in their effort, I would rightfully be accused of using racially-charged language to support/defend a viewpoint. The use of “massacre” is no different.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I am also someone that has seen Joelnell play, and was never a believer that she was a D1 player. The main reason was she is not super athletic and a liability on the defensive end of the floor. She is a shooter, but I believe she would struggle getting her own shot with the quickness of D1 defenders. I think she could be a terrific D2 or NAIA player though.

You are a liar. I can tell by your comments that you have never seen her play. Your posting has always been marginal.

goatcreekgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
But it’s not a massacre.

It was a massacre. Unprecedented in d-1 women’s Basketball as far as I know.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You are a liar. I can tell by your comments that you have never seen her play. Your posting has always been marginal.

Half a dozen times her senior year. How many times have you seen her play?

I am new to the board, I have been following for the last couple of months.

I wonder as a way of giving clarity regarding this discussion, where have the girls who were cut ended up? I think if they are D1 level players then surely some D1 school would be after these girls. If they end up at NAIA and D2 schools that would seem to confirm that they aren't D1 level players. Can someone see through the portal or SM where these girls who were cut and entered the portal are transferring? Are comparable D1 programs picking them up?

Just a thought.

The biggest issue that limited the upward ascension of Momberg is the systemic problem that Holsinger was brought into to fix. The problem isn't what was happening on the court, it was off it.

They have been for some time the least athletic and least physically conditioned teams in the conference. Teams are bigger, faster and stronger and it played out that way this year, last year and even in the last years of Robin's regime.

There was very much an impression that was out there among BSC coaches that the women's program at the UM was very much still a October to March proposition, whether that was accurate or not, I know that impression was out there.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
My belief is that this is unprecedented or virtually unprecedented at this level of women’s basketball.

My belief, why does it matter? My second belief, covid and the portal make this off season different than any previously and by doing this quickly, both the Griz coaches and the girls that were not renewed, have a better chance to navigate the waters.

Perhaps. Shouldn’t Petrino have gotten the benefit of that too.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

Half a dozen times her senior year. How many times have you seen her play?

I still say you are a liar. For me, multiple
Times and I was good friends as with her coach.

I was told that the players were told via a short zoom call. Not even the courtesy to tell them in person. I guess zoom was better than a text.

Where are all of you let’s-treat-athletes-better people? Or are you all hypocrites like citay?

Note that women’s basketball has 15 scholarships, as opposed to 13 for men’s. The extra scholarships allow a bit more patience.

Grizfan-24 said:
The biggest issue that limited the upward ascension of Momberg is the systemic problem that Holsinger was brought into to fix. The problem isn't what was happening on the court, it was off it.

They have been for some time the least athletic and least physically conditioned teams in the conference. Teams are bigger, faster and stronger and it played out that way this year, last year and even in the last years of Robin's regime.

There was very much an impression that was out there among BSC coaches that the women's program at the UM was very much still a October to March proposition, whether that was accurate or not, I know that impression was out there.

THIS! Should be the title and subject of a separate thread, because you nailed it, coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back