• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

the offensive line play isn't that bad

AZGrizFan said:
Ursus1 said:
kemajic said:
From an old OL guy, there is not a lot of athleticism on our OL. Big, yes, agile, no. And the returning starter is the worst of the pack. Immobile. Easy to scout and exploit. They get beat to the move and the penalties come from getting beat. Either false start to cheat on the speed or holding to try to salvage inability to block assignment. Constant disruption in the backfield.

That said, UND was exceptional at penetrating our and most everyone else's OL. CPSLO, not so much; big difference. Doubt we see anyone else as good at exploiting our OL as UND.

Germer has been here through those recruitments, can he not judge that? Or is the S/C coach making them bigger but less athletic? Is it because they recruit 300 pound high school kids that can get away with less athleticism vs. 240 pound athletic ones that are going to redshirt in order to gain the size needed?

The $64,000 question that no one seems willing to answer. At what point (either as O-line coach or during recruiting) does Germer become responsible for this shit show?

Germer is the one who is saving the Griz from a bigger shit show. Germer didn't recruit all the receivers. Germer is the guy who has found 3 players in recent years, who could be moved to the o-line and become starters. He's a terrific o-line coach. Ask anyone close to the program.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Ursus1 said:
kemajic said:
From an old OL guy, there is not a lot of athleticism on our OL. Big, yes, agile, no. And the returning starter is the worst of the pack. Immobile. Easy to scout and exploit. They get beat to the move and the penalties come from getting beat. Either false start to cheat on the speed or holding to try to salvage inability to block assignment. Constant disruption in the backfield.

That said, UND was exceptional at penetrating our and most everyone else's OL. CPSLO, not so much; big difference. Doubt we see anyone else as good at exploiting our OL as UND.

Germer has been here through those recruitments, can he not judge that? Or is the S/C coach making them bigger but less athletic? Is it because they recruit 300 pound high school kids that can get away with less athleticism vs. 240 pound athletic ones that are going to redshirt in order to gain the size needed?

The $64,000 question that no one seems willing to answer. At what point (either as O-line coach or during recruiting) does Germer become responsible for this shit show?

Germer is the one who is saving the Griz from a bigger shit show. Germer didn't recruit all the receivers. Germer is the guy who has found 3 players in recent years, who could be moved to the o-line and become starters. He's a terrific o-line coach. Ask anyone close to the program.

You don’t have an unbiased bone in your body when it comes to Germer.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Ursus1 said:

I just repeat what coaches and former o-linemen have said over the years. I have never heard anything other than positives from anyone close to the program and anyone who understands o-line play.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

I just repeat what coaches and former o-linemen have said over the years. I have never heard anything other than positives from anyone close to the program and anyone who understands o-line play.
Then, in your mind, if not Germer then who is responsible for the O-line shit show that we’ve been talking about, oh, pretty much since Germer got here?

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Then, in your mind, if not Germer then who is responsible for the O-line shit show that we’ve been talking about, oh, pretty much since Germer got here?

Assume the prior head coach, who made the recruiting decisions. Also, the o-line play was pretty good last year. Guess you forgot that.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Assume the prior head coach, who made the recruiting decisions. Also, the o-line play was pretty good last year. Guess you forgot that.

The O-line last year, like this year, was cobbled together from walk one and converted D-linemen and TE’s. Yes they played decent (better coach? Better system?)...But we’ve been talking about O-line deficiencies long before Bob Stitt got here. And we’re still talking about them now. The only constant in that time is Chad Germer. Does he have no say in the recruiting decisions? You’re close to the program, perhaps you can answer that?

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

The O-line last year, like this year, was cobbled together from walk one and converted D-linemen and TE’s. Yes they played decent (better coach? Better system?)...But we’ve been talking about O-line deficiencies long before Bob Stitt got here. And we’re still talking about them now. The only constant in that time is Chad Germer. Does he have no say in the recruiting decisions? You’re close to the program, perhaps you can answer that?

You do know that Germer was hired by Stitt in 2015, right? He had been at UNLV with Bobby and at Wyo. before that.

Germer coached a good o-line at UM in 2009. I've talked to Chuck Burton, who played that year, about Germer. Liked him.

Germer coached UM's line from 1998-2002. Recall the national championship and other trips to Chatty? Dylan McFarland says Germer is a great coach. Never heard complaints about the o-line in those years.

Yes, Germer has a say in recruiting decisions, but he doesn't set the number of o-line recruits the team will take.

Bingham and the play calling are taking the heat for the fumble on the 2-yard line, but if you look at the replay the UND defensive line busted through the middle and totally blew up the exchange from QB to Bingham. The real "blame" for this consequential miscue lies with the o-line; not Bingham; not the play caller (Rosy).

The fact is our o-line sucks and we are paying for it big time.

When Hauck came to UM the first time and took over for Joe Glenn what was the biggest area of need that he saw?? Offensive line and close behind defensive line..... and that's what he went out to recruit.

The skill positions get all the hype and cheerleaders but it is the grunts on the line that decide ball games.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

You do know that Germer was hired by Stitt in 2015, right? He had been at UNLV with Bobby and at Wyo. before that.

Germer coached a good o-line at UM in 2009. I've talked to Chuck Burton, who played that year, about Germer. Liked him.

Germer coached UM's line from 1998-2002. Recall the national championship and other trips to Chatty? Dylan McFarland says Germer is a great coach. Never heard complaints about the o-line in those years.

Yes, Germer has a say in recruiting decisions, but he doesn't set the number of o-line recruits the team will take.

Then maybe he shouldn't have a say because the limited numbers he has brought in have not shown much

Ursus1 said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Then maybe he shouldn't have a say because the limited numbers he has brought in have not shown much

Ya ya. Do some checking, so that you posts aren't so ignorant.

If Germer doesn’t have the authority to recruit/Develop an OL, he should be given the authority. If he has the authority, he has failed and a change should be made.

It comes down to attitude and drive to me. A good many on this team does not have a winning attitude and drive. I believe that’s why there were so many kids that bailed when Hauck was hired or just after as they saw it was going to mean more from them. Those that stuck are now witnessing what is expected and maybe they just don’t have the Attitude and drive. It seems that’s what going on to me. Those that don’t want to play in this system need to sit and then leave to allow for a person that does.

I also think when Hauck coached in his first stint he coached after coaches that had a teams with blue collar attitudes. Bring your lunch pails and stay until the work is done. Be Montana tuff.

I think a good many of Stitts recruits came to Montana to play for a coach and in some flashy system. Hauck system is not flashy and built more on pound them down. Our muscle and work them. You either have that sort of drive in you or you don’t. Sadly it’s seems many of today’s kids lack that sort of drive.

Germer is not the problem. I very rarely (maybe never) agree with PR, but he is dead on in this instance. Losing Germer is not going to solve the problem. Likely it would make it much worse. The problem is frequent coaching changes, different schemes/coaching philosophies and the loss of several recruits/players who did not pan out. I would also say Stitt did not put near enough emphasis on O Line recruiting. (Nor secondary) The cupboard is damn bare and anyone saying differently has never played the game. What, wait a minute. What just happened there?

Copper, good points, but all of that is in the past. I don’t understand why we didn’t get any JC transfers last year....not one. Germer should have been aware of the programs weaknesses then.
Frankly, what I’ve heard for 3-4 years or longer has been....we will improve next year. Next year never happens.

Spanky2 said:
Copper, good points, but all of that is in the past. I don’t understand why we didn’t get any JC transfers last year....not one. Germer should have been aware of the programs weaknesses then.
Frankly, what I’ve heard for 3-4 years or longer has been....we will improve next year. Next year never happens.

I can’t argue with the lack of JC transfers argument S2. Especially since Stitt did not seem to make that position a priority. I now feel the program is in the position of recruiting for O line like Stitt recruited receivers. Lots and lots of talented bodies needed. To be fair to Germer - two Unexpected departures of O linemen before the season definitely hurt. He swing and missed on two drop downs as well. Griz are in worst case scenario now. Major bummer. I personally am looking forward and let’s pray they hit the jackpot with recruiting in 2019 and 2020

I agree and I think they will with Bobby in charge.
I’m beginning to think about a game that takes place in November. There are other games, but that game is against state college.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

So, basically Germer’s “success” is a TAD bit more relevant that Baer’s....gotcha. :roll:

Copper Griz said:
Spanky2 said:

I can’t argue with the lack of JC transfers argument S2. Especially since Stitt did not seem to make that position a priority. I now feel the program is in the position of recruiting for O line like Stitt recruited receivers. Lots and lots of talented bodies needed. To be fair to Germer - two Unexpected departures of O linemen before the season definitely hurt. He swing and missed on two drop downs as well. Griz are in worst case scenario now. Major bummer. I personally am looking forward and let’s pray they hit the jackpot with recruiting in 2019 and 2020

Stitt recruited and signed 5 O-linemen each of his full recruiting seasons. How many would you like him to have signed? And presumably Germer had a large say in those offers/signings. Yet here we are.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

So, basically Germer’s “success” is a TAD bit more relevant that Baer’s....gotcha. :roll:

You have zero credibility on this subject. You didn't realize that Stitt hired Germer. Pay some attention if you are going to be a bigmouth poster, like some of us veterans.

AZGrizFan said:
Copper Griz said:
Spanky2 said:

Stitt recruited and signed 5 O-linemen each of his full recruiting seasons. How many would you like him to have signed? And presumably Germer had a large say in those offers/signings. Yet here we are.

Where did Stitt's 15 o-line recruits go? The 2 deep has only 7 players recruited as o-lineman during Stitt's 3 years. 3 of them are redshirt frosh. So, the team has 4 of Stitt's 10 o-line recruits fro his first 2 years on the two deep now?

Back