• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

the offensive line play isn't that bad

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
The O-line last year, like this year, was cobbled together from walk one and converted D-linemen and TE’s. Yes they played decent (better coach? Better system?)...But we’ve been talking about O-line deficiencies long before Bob Stitt got here. And we’re still talking about them now. The only constant in that time is Chad Germer. Does he have no say in the recruiting decisions? You’re close to the program, perhaps you can answer that?

You do know that Germer was hired by Stitt in 2015, right? He had been at UNLV with Bobby and at Wyo. before that.

Germer coached a good o-line at UM in 2009. I've talked to Chuck Burton, who played that year, about Germer. Liked him.

Germer coached UM's line from 1998-2002. Recall the national championship and other trips to Chatty? Dylan McFarland says Germer is a great coach. Never heard complaints about the o-line in those years.

Yes, Germer has a say in recruiting decisions, but he doesn't set the number of o-line recruits the team will take.

So, basically Germer’s “success” is a TAD bit more relevant that Baer’s....gotcha. :roll:

You have zero credibility on this subject. You didn't realize that Stitt hired Germer. Pay some attention if you are going to be a bigmouth poster, like some of us veterans.

Hey Einstein, I've been saying all along Germer has been here four years. That Germer is the only constant on the O-line problems. That Germer recruited these guys. And in your tiny little mind, you don't think THAT means that I understand that Stitt hired Germer? Jesus Fuck you're ignorant. Read a post or two before you pop off.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
You do know that Germer was hired by Stitt in 2015, right? He had been at UNLV with Bobby and at Wyo. before that.

Germer coached a good o-line at UM in 2009. I've talked to Chuck Burton, who played that year, about Germer. Liked him.

Germer coached UM's line from 1998-2002. Recall the national championship and other trips to Chatty? Dylan McFarland says Germer is a great coach. Never heard complaints about the o-line in those years.

Yes, Germer has a say in recruiting decisions, but he doesn't set the number of o-line recruits the team will take.

So, basically Germer’s “success” is a TAD bit more relevant that Baer’s....gotcha. :roll:

You have zero credibility on this subject. You didn't realize that Stitt hired Germer. Pay some attention if you are going to be a bigmouth poster, like some of us veterans.

Hey Einstein, I've been saying all along Germer has been here four years. That Germer is the only constant on the O-line problems. That Germer recruited these guys. And in your tiny little mind, you don't think THAT means that I understand that Stitt hired Germer? Jesus f*** you're ignorant. Read a post or two before you pop off.

No, read your own posts. You said that people were talking about o-line deficiencies long before Stitt was here, and the only constant was in that time was Germer. See below. I will wait for your apology.

"But we’ve been talking about O-line deficiencies long before Bob Stitt got here. And we’re still talking about them now. The only constant in that time is Chad Germer."

That says that you before Germer was here the whole time people have been talking about o-lilne deficiencies, including before Stitt was here.

AZGrizFan said:
Copper Griz said:
Spanky2 said:
Copper, good points, but all of that is in the past. I don’t understand why we didn’t get any JC transfers last year....not one. Germer should have been aware of the programs weaknesses then.
Frankly, what I’ve heard for 3-4 years or longer has been....we will improve next year. Next year never happens.

I can’t argue with the lack of JC transfers argument S2. Especially since Stitt did not seem to make that position a priority. I now feel the program is in the position of recruiting for O line like Stitt recruited receivers. Lots and lots of talented bodies needed. To be fair to Germer - two Unexpected departures of O linemen before the season definitely hurt. He swing and missed on two drop downs as well. Griz are in worst case scenario now. Major bummer. I personally am looking forward and let’s pray they hit the jackpot with recruiting in 2019 and 2020

Stitt recruited and signed 5 O-linemen each of his full recruiting seasons. How many would you like him to have signed? And presumably Germer had a large say in those offers/signings. Yet here we are.

Nope, Stitt did not sign 15 o-lineman! He had one class that had 5 o-lineman, his other classes had 2 and 3.

Here's the classes
2017 - Skyler Martin, Payton Stoner
2016 - Conlan Beaver, Dylan Eickmeyer, Brandon Scott (injured), Ashton Torres (left), Thayne Jackson (left)
2015 - Angel Villanueva, Cody Meyers (walk on), Dallas Hart (injured).

Injuries and the departure of Jackson have definitely hurt this year.

twentythreeOh4 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Copper Griz said:
Spanky2 said:
Copper, good points, but all of that is in the past. I don’t understand why we didn’t get any JC transfers last year....not one. Germer should have been aware of the programs weaknesses then.
Frankly, what I’ve heard for 3-4 years or longer has been....we will improve next year. Next year never happens.

I can’t argue with the lack of JC transfers argument S2. Especially since Stitt did not seem to make that position a priority. I now feel the program is in the position of recruiting for O line like Stitt recruited receivers. Lots and lots of talented bodies needed. To be fair to Germer - two Unexpected departures of O linemen before the season definitely hurt. He swing and missed on two drop downs as well. Griz are in worst case scenario now. Major bummer. I personally am looking forward and let’s pray they hit the jackpot with recruiting in 2019 and 2020

Stitt recruited and signed 5 O-linemen each of his full recruiting seasons. How many would you like him to have signed? And presumably Germer had a large say in those offers/signings. Yet here we are.

Nope, Stitt did not sign 15 o-lineman! He had one class that had 5 o-lineman, his other classes had 2 and 3.

Here's the classes
2017 - Skyler Martin, Payton Stoner
2016 - Conlan Beaver, Dylan Eickmeyer, Brandon Scott (injured), Ashton Torres (left), Thayne Jackson (left)
2015 - Angel Villanueva, Cody Meyers (walk on), Dallas Hart (injured).

Injuries and the departure of Jackson have definitely hurt this year.

2013 - Rokich
2014 - Reese

So Mick was worse than Stitt. And Jackson McCollough was also recruited in 2015

One of the most under-told factors of the struggles on the offensive line for the Griz and the decline in offensive line play at both Montana and Montana State — the Bobcats are decently good up front this year but their line does not compare to the line from 2010-2012 that included All-Americans like Mike Person, Shaun Sampson, Conrad Burbank and Alex Terrien — is that the state of Montana does not produce the same number of Division I offensive line prospects as it has in the past.

Right now, the only linemen from Montana on UM's roster are freshmen (Conor Quick, Trevor Welnel, Cody Hartsoch, Gerrit Bloemendaal, all walk-ons besides Quick) or new walk-on Dylan Cook from Butte or Colton Keintz, a kid playing football for his fourth year ever and is now Montana's starting RT.

At Montana State, junior Mitch Brott is in his third years as a starting tackle who MSU got for a half scholarship, Jake Sessions is a backup and a smattering of walk-ons make up the rest.

Now, I'm not saying you can only have OL from Montana if you want to have a good offensive line. But what I am saying is that when you can get talent like Thatcher Szalay, Dylan McFarland, Colin Dow, Terran Hilseland, Chris Dyk and on on and from in state, it's a huge boost to your stables.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
One of the most under-told factors of the struggles on the offensive line for the Griz and the decline in offensive line play at both Montana and Montana State — the Bobcats are decently good up front this year but their line does not compare to the line from 2010-2012 that included All-Americans like Mike Person, Shaun Sampson, Conrad Burbank and Alex Terrien — is that the state of Montana does not produce the same number of Division I offensive line prospects as it has in the past.

Right now, the only linemen from Montana on UM's roster are freshmen (Conor Quick, Trevor Welnel, Cody Hartsoch, Gerrit Bloemendaal, all walk-ons besides Quick) or new walk-on Dylan Cook from Butte or Colton Keintz, a kid playing football for his fourth year ever and is now Montana's starting RT.

At Montana State, junior Mitch Brott is in his third years as a starting tackle who MSU got for a half scholarship, Jake Sessions is a backup and a smattering of walk-ons make up the rest.

Now, I'm not saying you can only have OL from Montana if you want to have a good offensive line. But what I am saying is that when you can get talent like Thatcher Szalay, Dylan McFarland, Colin Dow, Terran Hilseland, Chris Dyk and on on and from in state, it's a huge boost to your stables.

Person is starting at right guard for the 49ers. Saw him play against the Cardinals a week ago.

PlayerRep wrote: ↑Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:08 pm
Pay some attention if you are going to be a bigmouth poster, like some of us veterans.

I think there are a whole lot of participants on this forum who wish veteran bigmouth posters would tone it back and would STFU occasionally (well more than occasionally) because you don't know diddly shit more that the the rawest rookie. I know you think you do which is all the more reason to examine why you need to post so much. And even though you may think you know more about football who the f.... cares. Sorry but it just gets old when you veteran posters feel the need to post on every thread.

sdk.catfish said:
Pay some attention if you are going to be a bigmouth poster, like some of us veterans.

I think there are a whole lot of participants on this forum who wish veteran bigmouth posters would tone it back and would STFU occasionally (well more than occasionally) because you don't know diddly shit more that the the rawest rookie. I know you think you do which is all the more reason to examine why you need to post so much. And even though you may think you know more about football who the f.... cares. Sorry but it just gets old when you veteran posters feel the need to post on every thread.

Well, some of the veteran posters know what they are talking about and have huge large followings. Some help carry the board. Many people want information on the Griz. They don't just want some totally uneducated post or opinion Don't read the posts if you don't want to. Learn to use the Ignore button. Jeez, another everyone gets a ribbon guy.

PlayerRep said:
Don't read the posts if you don't want to. Learn to use the Ignore button. Jeez, another everyone gets a ribbon guy.

a pink one, no less.

jerks.

PlayerRep said:
sdk.catfish said:

Well, some of the veteran posters know what they are talking about and have huge large followings. Some help carry the board. Many people want information on the Griz. They don't just want some totally uneducated post or opinion Don't read the posts if you don't want to. Learn to use the Ignore button. Jeez, another everyone gets a ribbon guy.

I don't know if I speak for everyone on this board, or even most on this board. But, you are incredible at breaking down the positives and negatives of football games. Not so much at conversing with other posters. It would be amazing if you could stick to the former and stop the latter.

Well, some of the veteran posters know what they are talking about and have huge large followings.

Kind of like imagining your inauguration crowd is the biggest and baddest of all time. Don't get me wrong - when you post about things you know about, like defensive football, you are quite knowledgeable and I learn some things. The problem I have with you is that you post about everything related to every thread on this forum and trust me, you do not have that type of knowledge. Nobody does. I don't know what you think a "large following" is but if you would just tone down your ego a few notches, and only post a couple times a day, I think some of us would have more respect for what you say. Not that you care - just my opinion.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Hey Einstein, I've been saying all along Germer has been here four years. That Germer is the only constant on the O-line problems. That Germer recruited these guys. And in your tiny little mind, you don't think THAT means that I understand that Stitt hired Germer? Jesus f*** you're ignorant. Read a post or two before you pop off.

No, read your own posts. You said that people were talking about o-line deficiencies long before Stitt was here, and the only constant was in that time was Germer. See below. I will wait for your apology.

"But we’ve been talking about O-line deficiencies long before Bob Stitt got here. And we’re still talking about them now. The only constant in that time is Chad Germer."

That says that you before Germer was here the whole time people have been talking about o-lilne deficiencies, including before Stitt was here.

We’ve had O-line problems long before Germer got here. HE has been here four years and despite your insistence of his greatness he’s done zip squat to fix the problem. THAT is what that sentence is saying. He is the constant from Stitt’s regime to Hauck’s. literally EVERY O-lineman on this team was presumably recruited and signed off on by Germer. And yet, here we are. STILL talking about poor o-line play...

The Oline play has been about what many of us suspected.

There have been some disappointing performances at times from other areas we thought to be pretty solid.

Put all of that out of your mind and imagine we hadn't been plauged with turnovers. ESPECIALLY a few at some very inopportune times. Our record just may be two or even three more W's instead of those games being forever branded with a big fat L.

We would still have complained about the o line, or pass protection or Sneeds inability to go deep but not near as much and it would have been very short lived.

Take away the take aways, everything else in each of our losses stays the same or similar and it's a whole different season.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

We’ve had O-line problems long before Germer got here. HE has been here four years and despite your insistence of his greatness he’s done zip squat to fix the problem. THAT is what that sentence is saying. He is the constant from Stitt’s regime to Hauck’s. literally EVERY O-lineman on this team was presumably recruited and signed off on by Germer. And yet, here we are. STILL talking about poor o-line play...

Where's your apology that you didn't know when Gemer came back to UM? The post I quoted of yours completely blew you out of the water. Man up.

Germer is as good a OL coach that UM can afford to hire. Inexperience and depth issues can't all be pinned on him. I like the young talent we have, they just need an extra year of reps and an extra year in the strength and conditioning room. Most OL don't become serviceable till their Soph or Jr year. How many upper classmen do we have on the 2 deep that were brought here to play OL? Give Germer a year to develop that young talent and find a transfer or 2 to help build some depth. I think the position will be better next year and a strength 2 years from now.

PlayerRep said:
sdk.catfish said:

Bigly!

argh! said:
it isn't great, but it is nowhere near as bad as those trying to scapegoat the ol make it out to be.

if i had to pick one thing "wrong" with this team, i'd say it is focus. even when things have been going their way, i.e. poly's bumbling fumbles, the defense has had big lapses - ergo, again for instance, poly's huge rushing numbers. oh, und also had huge rushing numbers, to those who want to say this game was lost entirely on turnovers.

focus. that's a coaching problem, and what so many of you promised would be better under hauck. but it is about as bad as it's ever been.

:lol: So i take it you haven't watched any games yet :roll: Dude your post is way off from being any types of true. The OL is not able to contain anybody for Sneed to Complete anything :oops: He's rushed too many throws, had to use his legs too many damn plays :x A Hold on an awesome throw that ended near the Goalline then brought back, Sacked, rushed and Int, running for life before finding an open Receiver... list goes on and on... Hauck seriously needs to recruit some OL from big schools that have big players sitting that bench... #gogriz #rtd

Latest posts

Back