• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Official "Idaho at Montana" Game Thread

LivingstonNative said:
It is the next century!!!!
100-56
Yep. doesn't make any "objective" difference in a blowout win ... but it is cool to see those triple digits on the final score.

And how many guys are on the official Griz home roster? I ask because 12 guys posted stats in the box score.

rocklobster said:
The bench out scored the starters! Sweet!
I'll be damned! Hadn't noticed that. And since Pridgett among the starters had 21, the bench out-scored the other four starters by a bunch. (Tells you just how bad Idaho really is.)

Not a "good" game in the traditional sense, but great fun to watch the Griz wheel and deal. Both Manuel and Dorsey hit several amazing 3s. Fun time to be a Griz fan.

'68griz said:
Not a "good" game in the traditional sense, but great fun to watch the Griz wheel and deal. Both Manuel and Dorsey hit several amazing 3s. Fun time to be a Griz fan.
No TV here in our part of Idaho, but managed to put together a few "highlights" via streaming. It might be an exaggeration to say the Idaho players have "given up," but it also seems clear that their hearts really aren't in it as far as playing out the string goes. No matter how much a fan hates the Vandals ... that's kinda sad.

Dorsey was named player of the game. 17 points in 22 minutes. 6-9 shooting and 5-7 from 3 Some were very long ones too. 6 rebounds.

Griz shot very well.

Akoh had 5 steals in 12 minutes. Got banged up a couple times and took himself out. Think he's fine.

23 assists. Rorie, Moorehead (without head band) and Falls had 6, 4, and 4. Falls was 3-4 from 3. Manuel was 2-5 from 3.

It was fun to see the bench get some playing time.

Idaho had 22 turnovers. Allen, who scored 24 against UM in prior game, led Idaho with 13 points. He's a pretty good player. Native American. He dad played football for Idaho.

Idaho is pretty bad.

The Hauck's and Bodners were at the game. The Bodnars were with the CEO of Class Pass. He apparently played hoops at Yale. Former Griz Chuck Burton and Sean Wren were at the game.

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
SonOfaGriz said:
Basic preview of the game for the Griz from an Idaho alum (I also cover them for the Tubs at the Club podcast and write the Montana-mint.com Big Sky Deep Dives:

Idaho has three reliable scorers:
-Trevon Allen, Guard, Jr.: he was the one who scored 24 vs. Montana the first time, though he's been struggling as of late (6/26 in last two games). He doesn't get to the free throw line and he's not a great three shooter (streaky, not steady), but he can score from just about anywhere inside the three point line if he's hitting. Like Tyler Hall, he takes a lot of tough shots so it's hard to limit his opportunities, it's more important to make sure he isn't getting clean looks.

-Cameron Tyson, Guard, Fr.: he scored eight quick points vs. Montana the first game, then vanished. He's one of the best three shooters in the league---has hit 4+ threes I believe seven times now, including 6/12 from three on Monday vs. SUU. He can't create his own shot, and Idaho isn't always aggressive at running plays for him, but he's the most explosive scorer on this team and if he gets open he can score in a hurry.

-Jared Rodriguez, Forward, Fr.: he scored around 10pts vs. Montana. He's 6'8", can score inside and out, but he isn't a great post player against guys his size---he's stronger at putting the ball on the floor than he is at scoring in the post. He's a steady three shooter, but not an electric one (similar to Michael Oguine---likely to hit one, maybe two, but doesn't take bad threes).

No one else on Idaho is doing much this year---only four total players average more than four points per game. If Idaho doesn't get a lot out of all three of the guys listed, Montana will have to play like ass for this to be competitive. Idaho has not had a single-digit Big Sky loss since January 5th.

Side note---we average 916 people per home game, so the Dahlberg advantage should be a real advantage.

I knew what you meant, SofaG, but went ahead and made a small edit in the spirit of leave-no-doubt clarity. :D

That was maybe the worst basketball game I've ever seen---Montana looks like they're running away with the league while Weber continues to struggle, and if you take a closer look at the UNC stats (ex: http://www.montana-mint.com/2019/02/07/mid-season-preview-montana-all-alone-at-the-top/ you'll see they've got some huge holes that the better teams in conference can exploit----mainly that no one outside of Jordan Davis is giving them reliable production.

Back in Moscow, we're hanging onto the hope that our 4-star drop down from Oregon State (Jack Wilson, Center) is all Big Sky next year, otherwise, this season can't end fast enough.

Dorsey: “If we’re sharing the ball and having fun and if we play like that, I don’t think anybody in the country can beat us.”

"Dorsey’s 17 points tie his college career high as well. He scored 17 points in his fourth college game for the University of Washington on Nov. 27, 2014 against San Jose State."

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-grizzlies-score-in-triple-digits-to-dominate-idaho/article_ad4e9185-2d6a-5482-afdd-ac0eb3056b76.html#1

So great to see Dorsey light it up and show what he can do when healthy. Timmy looked great too and hit his 3s. Pretty scary when Oguine, Rorie, and Akoh only total 19 pts and this deep Griz team can still score 100!

HookedonGriz said:
So great to see Dorsey light it up and show what he can do when healthy. Timmy looked great too and hit his 3s. Pretty scary when Oguine, Rorie, and Akoh only total 19 pts and this deep Griz team can still score 100!
Yep. Another cool point "hidden" in the stats. It would be even scarier if we didn't know that Idaho really is that bad.

Was not sure quite where to put this. Finally decided it fit the "Idaho is really bad" theme best.

Before the game the Griz were sitting at #99 in the NET ranking and #100 in RPI. This morning they are 109 in the NET, and 110 in the RPI. (Note the high correlation, BTW.) I know that blow-outs "don't count," but a win is a win ... and it hurt the ranking(s) for the Griz.

IdaGriz01 said:
Was not sure quite where to put this. Finally decided it fit the "Idaho is really bad" theme best.

Before the game the Griz were sitting at #99 in the NET ranking and #100 in RPI. This morning they are 109 in the NET, and 110 in the RPI. (Note the high correlation, BTW.) I know that blow-outs "don't count," but a win is a win ... and it hurt the ranking(s) for the Griz.

I noticed that too.

Back