• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Official "Idaho at Montana" Game Thread

A couple classics from the vandal board:

Be patient, in 3 years we will have an experienced team, will finish 2nd or 3rd in the Big Sky, and then lose in the first round of the conference tourney.

LOL, much like the football season this is worse than I ever could have imagined. I'm glad booze exists because this is fucking terrible.

How can Idaho has gotten so bad so quickly in hoops, and be so bad in football? I don't think the hoops team has any seniors. I can understand how football, both players and coaches, can be having some issues, but I don't understand how they are so bad.

The base, such as it is, and alums must be upset. The older FCS fans got excited about FBS. The younger alums/fans grew up with FBS. Success in football was mostly lacking in FBS. Financial resources must have become a huge problem. So, dropping down was probably hard for most supporters/alums, but at least immediate success in FCS was expected and would have been a plus. Then, the bottom fell out for both football and basketball, as they have dropped almost out of sight.

I haven't been following them, so maybe some of the rest of you can fill in the many blanks.

PlayerRep said:
How can Idaho has gotten so bad so quickly in hoops, and be so bad in football? I don't think the hoops team has any seniors. I can understand how football, both players and coaches, can be having some issues, but I don't understand how they are so bad.

The base, such as it is, and alums must be upset. The older FCS fans got excited about FBS. The younger alums/fans grew up with FBS. Success in football was mostly lacking in FBS. Financial resources must have become a huge problem. So, dropping down was probably hard for most supporters/alums, but at least immediate success in FCS was expected and would have been a plus. Then, the bottom fell out for both football and basketball, as they have dropped almost out of sight.

I haven't been following them, so maybe some of the rest of you can fill in the many blanks.

Well that's the spuds for you.
Where do they start to fill those in, start at the bottom and work upward. :mrgreen:

that was a great performance by the Griz and disappointing turn out from the fans and students. The announced attendance was 3300 and I'm not sure thats close to butts in the seats. If Oguine and Rorie are going to have an off night, that was the opponent. It was great to see Freddy III getting some playing time, he's going to be a good one. The mighty spuds have really really dropped off the bball world. My best take from the night - watching the video board and ads on the corner of the floor when a Windermere ad popped up and there was BW's big mug. I couldnt get my phone out quick enough to snap a pic, Hauck was sitting 6 seats down and would have made a great shot. All kinds of potential in a pic like that! On to Sat and ewooo. A win will give TDC his 100th as Griz coach.
Go Griz and FTC.

PlayerRep said:
Dorsey was named player of the game. 17 points in 22 minutes. 6-9 shooting and 5-7 from 3 Some were very long ones too. 6 rebounds.

Griz shot very well.

Akoh had 5 steals in 12 minutes. Got banged up a couple times and took himself out. Think he's fine.

23 assists. Rorie, Moorehead (without head band) and Falls had 6, 4, and 4. Falls was 3-4 from 3. Manuel was 2-5 from 3.

It was fun to see the bench get some playing time.

Idaho had 22 turnovers. Allen, who scored 24 against UM in prior game, led Idaho with 13 points. He's a pretty good player. Native American. He dad played football for Idaho.

Idaho is pretty bad.

The Hauck's and Bodners were at the game. The Bodnars were with the CEO of Class Pass. He apparently played hoops at Yale. Former Griz Chuck Burton and Sean Wren were at the game.
Wow, this is one elite program.

PlayerRep said:

Idaho had 5 Senior starters on a very good team last season. They beat the Griz in over time in Moscow last season with that bunch. It is probably just a rebuilding type year for them.

grizaremoregooder said:
PlayerRep said:

Idaho had 5 Senior starters on a very good team last season. They beat the Griz in over time in Moscow last season with that bunch. It is probably just a rebuilding type year for them.

Don Verlin and his head asst. Kirk Earlywine, are good coaches with proven records. Many predicted his (senior-stacked) Vandal squad from last year would win the Big Sky... Until Montana turned the tables.

Coaches usually recruit to have 3-4 players from each class on their rosters. A minority choose to recruit in cycles so that every 3-4 years they have a contending group of players who were recruited in a class to build experience and teamwork as a group. That philosophy hasn't worked so well lately, with so many kids departing for other schools in helter skelter fashion. Can't say exactly how Idaho got into the situation with only one talented upperclassman (Jr. Treyvon Allen) But the younger Idaho players look talented... just made a lot of "freshman-like" mistakes. Idaho is getting a highly touted big-man transfer next year. I don't doubt that Verlin will have the Vandals playing better within another month... but more likely next year.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
that was a great performance by the Griz and disappointing turn out from the fans and students. The announced attendance was 3300 and I'm not sure thats close to butts in the seats. If Oguine and Rorie are going to have an off night, that was the opponent. It was great to see Freddy III getting some playing time, he's going to be a good one. The mighty spuds have really really dropped off the bball world. My best take from the night - watching the video board and ads on the corner of the floor when a Windermere ad popped up and there was BW's big mug. I couldnt get my phone out quick enough to snap a pic, Hauck was sitting 6 seats down and would have made a great shot. All kinds of potential in a pic like that! On to Sat and ewooo. A win will give TDC his 100th as Griz coach.
Go Griz and FTC.

Were you sitting in the chair seats, or did you mean 6 rows down?

grizzlyjournal said:
grizaremoregooder said:
PlayerRep said:

Don Verlin and his head asst. Kirk Earlywine, are good coaches with proven records. Many predicted his (senior-stacked) Vandal squad from last year would win the Big Sky... Until Montana turned the tables.

Coaches usually recruit to have 3-4 players from each class on their rosters. A minority choose to recruit in cycles so that every 3-4 years they have a contending group of players who were recruited in a class to build experience and teamwork as a group. That philosophy hasn't worked so well lately, with so many kids departing for other schools in helter skelter fashion. Can't say exactly how Idaho got into the situation with only one talented upperclassman (Jr. Treyvon Allen) But the younger Idaho players look talented... just made a lot of "freshman-like" mistakes. Idaho is getting a highly touted big-man transfer next year. I don't doubt that Verlin will have the Vandals playing better within another month... but more likely next year.

Thanks for the info in this post, and the immediately prior one.

PlayerRep said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
Go Griz and FTC.

the floor seats across from the bench, Bobby was six or seven seats down from the ad board

NorthEndZoneDan said:
PlayerRep said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
Go Griz and FTC.

the floor seats across from the bench, Bobby was six or seven seats down from the ad board

My wife was directly behind Stacey, and one of our guests was behind Bobby. I have 4 row 1 seats there. I saw Izzo and friend in the chair seats to left, and all of the people in low and high floor seats to the right. We talked to Bobby and Stacey quite a bit at halftime. My wife and her brother, Bobby's good friend, were born in P-Burg (where we will be for a birthday celebration next weekend), and we had learned a few days earlier that both of Bobby's grandparents on his dad side were from P-Burg.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
Go Griz and FTC.

Great, as in once in a lifetime, great ? How many years might go by before we see that again. This sat. would be fine though.

Back