• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Summit League will be calling

UM will never move to a conference East of Bozoman.

It makes zero sense
Financially
Rivalries
Historically

In A perfect world the Bigsky would be (5 sets of traveling partners). The others can go pound sand.
Leaving a 9 game conference for football and a 18 game conference for basketball. (But then when has the powers that be in the BSC, had any great ideas?)
1-UM
1-msu
2-EWU
2-Idaho
3-Weber
3-ISU
4-NAU
4-Southern Utah
5-PSU
5- (TDB) Central Washington?

Say goodbye to Sac State, NoCo, Davis and Poly. They simply don't fit with the rest.

Davis is a huge school that will most likely move up
Sac State is a computer school that most don't care about even there.
NoCo has glorified High School facilities
Poly... who cares?

It was a good thought but does having the California schools really help the BigSky?

I think at best it's a toss up.

Paytonlives said:
It was a good thought but does having the California schools really help the BigSky?

A Cali school is more important than some midwest cow school based on recruiting areas.

grizindabox said:
Paytonlives said:

A Cali school is more important than some midwest cow school based on recruiting areas.

Are bisons the same as cows?

AllWeatherFan said:
grizindabox said:
Paytonlives said:

They can do the nasty...

While all bison species are classified in their own genus, they are sometimes bred with domestic cattle (genus Bos) and produce fertile offspring called beefalo or zubron.

grizindabox said:
Paytonlives said:

Agreed.... both suck

Paytonlives said:

It makes zero sense
Financially
Rivalries
Historically

In A perfect world the Bigsky would be (5 sets of traveling partners). The others can go pound sand.
Leaving a 9 game conference for football and a 18 game conference for basketball. (But then when has the powers that be in the BSC, had any great ideas?)
1-UM
1-msu
2-EWU
2-Idaho
3-Weber
3-ISU
4-NAU
4-Southern Utah
5-PSU
Are you suggesting that would be a good conference for the University of Montana?

grizindabox said:
AllWeatherFan said:
grizindabox said:
Paytonlives said:

They can do the nasty...

While all bison species are classified in their own genus, they are sometimes bred with domestic cattle (genus Bos) and produce fertile offspring called beefalo or zubron.

Oh well, they’re all ungulates anyway. :thumb:

Schools that gone FBS recently have all seen enrollment increases especially from out of state making it easier to justify. Montana's problem is it doesn't have in demand programs though like MSU, which has a lot STEM majors. Bodnar would probably put more emphasis on business. UND has aerospace, pilot training, petroleum eng, and medical fields, so the students are majority out of state. USD has probably the second weakest set of attractive majors, but even it has a med school and related majors.

Can't emphasize enough that the Griz could play P5 with 3x the payout at two games a season. That combined with the CFP payout would generate much more cash than an FCS schedule and pay for FBS.

The other thing that can be done is divide Montana between Idaho ( western half) and Wyoming (eastern half). Then you can convert to being Boise St fans and shut down Missoula U before it gets to the weird Portland stage.

UNDfan said:
The other thing that can be done is divide Montana between Idaho ( western half) and Wyoming (eastern half). Then you can convert to being Boise St fans and shut down Missoula U before it gets to the weird Portland stage.
You might have something there, but for the life of me, I can't see what it is.

UNDfan said:
You Griz need a basic understanding of NCAA regs.

A conference needs seven schools (eight for FBS), plus must sponsor mbb and in the Summit’s case, baseball and men’s soccer. UND h@ppened to drop baseball and no Dakota has men’s soccer.

Or if it sponsors mbb and football, the needing other men’s team sports go out the window.

Unless the Summit starts football, it will go kaput for its dance bid. Something has to happen and Summit Presidents aren’t panicking because they know they will get more fb teams. The MVC fb teams are off limits because that conference has so many dance credits with Loyola’s run last year and they won’t leave. The Big Sky has zero dance credits over the minimum, so those NW schools will not exactly miss out on a fortune.

Augustana won’t matter, because they NCAA won’t pronounce them DI for at least five years.

The only option is to go West and UND has a ongoing relationship with all the Big Sky schools. The southern BIg Sky hates UND for travel but loves the Montanas because those are nearly the only travel fans, so they can make their own bed with similar schools.

Starting a new conference would mean waiting seven years for an autobid and NCAA money. But helping take over an existing conference is entirely different and no loss of money will result.

Know this is too complicated for your IQs, but maybe you can squeeze your skulls in a vice and get more output.

The Summit Presidents may not be, but its clearly got you in a panic!

UNDfan said:
grizindabox said:
UNDfan said:
grizindabox said:
Did he ever explain why this is good for UM..or is he just trying to conjure up what he believes is best for UND?

Because the Montanas want to go FBS and be in better academic circles. Most of the Pig Sky is penniless and lacks in graduate and professional schools, research, and athletic aspirations. One needs at least 8 FBS schools to form an FBS conference and get part of the CFP millions by 2025. The Montanas are not wanted by the MWC and they can’t afford it anyway. Looking east to neighboring state solves this predicament.

Explained this multiple times to this board, but they seem to want to remain ignorant and lower themselves to playing CWU.

So you see UM as being in a good financial position currently? And to be honest, I am not sure either UM or MSU has any desire to move to a FBS Conference...I would think a majority of the fans don't want to see it.

It’s such a shame Seth doesn’t listen to his moronic fans and has his own vision.

FBS in a league where costs are kept down pays much more dividends than FCS, including millions in PR that simply isn’t there at FCS

Not sure who you are, and don't really care. You are right, that Seth has a vision, but it doesn't involve FBS in the near future, and it certainly doesn't involve the Summit. To insinuate otherwise is laughable.

Paytonlives said:
Say goodbye to Sac State, NoCo, Davis and Poly. They simply don't fit with the rest.

Davis is a huge school that will most likely move up
Sac State is a computer school that most don't care about even there.
NoCo has glorified High School facilities
Poly... who cares?

Big Sky keeps CA because its fertile recruiting for the conference schools.

ordigger said:
UNDfan said:
grizindabox said:
UNDfan said:
Because the Montanas want to go FBS and be in better academic circles. Most of the Pig Sky is penniless and lacks in graduate and professional schools, research, and athletic aspirations. One needs at least 8 FBS schools to form an FBS conference and get part of the CFP millions by 2025. The Montanas are not wanted by the MWC and they can’t afford it anyway. Looking east to neighboring state solves this predicament.

Explained this multiple times to this board, but they seem to want to remain ignorant and lower themselves to playing CWU.

So you see UM as being in a good financial position currently? And to be honest, I am not sure either UM or MSU has any desire to move to a FBS Conference...I would think a majority of the fans don't want to see it.

It’s such a shame Seth doesn’t listen to his moronic fans and has his own vision.

FBS in a league where costs are kept down pays much more dividends than FCS, including millions in PR that simply isn’t there at FCS

Not sure who you are, and don't really care. You are right, that Seth has a vision, but it doesn't involve FBS in the near future, and it certainly doesn't involve the Summit. To insinuate otherwise is laughable.

Digger, I hope you are wrong about FBS and correct about Summit.

Spanky2 said:
ordigger said:
UNDfan said:
grizindabox said:

Digger, I hope you are wrong about FBS and correct about Summit.
Doubtful Bodnar's vision can look past the current state of enrollment, so I'm guessing he's right in both counts.

Spanky2 said:
Paytonlives said:

It makes zero sense
Financially
Rivalries
Historically

1-UM
1-msu
2-EWU
2-Idaho
3-Weber
3-ISU
4-NAU
4-Southern Utah
5-PSU
Are you suggesting that would be a good conference for the University of Montana?

Nope... I hate the state of the BS Conference. Way too many teams, unbalanced scheduling, poor leadership, schools with pathetic facilities, and schools that should be in a lower division.

But IF UM stays in this division (I still believe there will be a division between FBS & FCS) regionalizing makes way more sense for travel and rivalries. And yes I know why the BS has the Cali schools (for recruiting) but in reality they are not a good fit otherwise.

Paytonlives said:
Spanky2 said:
Paytonlives said:

It makes zero sense
Financially
Rivalries
Historically

1-UM
1-msu
2-EWU
2-Idaho
3-Weber
3-ISU
4-NAU
4-Southern Utah
5-PSU

Nope... I hate the state of the BS Conference. Way too many teams, unbalanced scheduling, poor leadership, schools with pathetic facilities, and schools that should be in a lower division.

But IF UM stays in this division (I still believe there will be a division between FBS & FCS) regionalizing makes way more sense for travel and rivalries. And yes I know why the BS has the Cali schools (for recruiting) but in reality they are not a good fit otherwise.
Good points Payton, but the Summit Conference isn’t an improvement over the Big Sky. The Mountain West Conference would be an improvement. Hopefully, our new president will look at the Mountain West.

Back