• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UCLA/USC

citay said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Brett McMurphy @Brett_McMurphy
59m
USC & UCLA move to Big Ten should be completed by Friday & Big Ten may not stop at 16, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. Big 12 may get aggressive & look to add Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado & Utah. “We’re headed to super conferences,” source said

Exactly. We're down from the Power 5 to the Power 4. The Pac12 is no more. None of the remaining Pac 12 teams can be left behind if they want to maintain their Power 4 status. Remember, this is all about markets. This will touch off a bidding war for the remaining major markets--the Bay Area (Stanford and Cal), Phoenix, (Arizona and Arizona State), and Seattle (UDub.) (Portland is not a major market but it does have Oregon and Phil Knight.) Washington State and Oregon State are left behind.

How does this affect the MWC? Boise State moves up to one of the bigger conferences. Oregon State and Washington State move to the MWC. There's possible talk of expansion, in which Montana and Montana State become candidates.

We're back to the old "move up" debate.

Can the Montana schools afford to move up? Additional scholarships and huge increases in coaches salaries. Plus how do we recruit? Can we afford to give players cost of living money? And , can we compete with NIL money?

We will see a lot of moves as a result of this USC, UCLA move. Hold on!!

bigsky33 said:
citay said:
Exactly. We're down from the Power 5 to the Power 4. The Pac12 is no more. None of the remaining Pac 12 teams can be left behind if they want to maintain their Power 4 status. Remember, this is all about markets. This will touch off a bidding war for the remaining major markets--the Bay Area (Stanford and Cal), Phoenix, (Arizona and Arizona State), and Seattle (UDub.) (Portland is not a major market but it does have Oregon and Phil Knight.) Washington State and Oregon State are left behind.

How does this affect the MWC? Boise State moves up to one of the bigger conferences. Oregon State and Washington State move to the MWC. There's possible talk of expansion, in which Montana and Montana State become candidates.

Can the Montana schools afford to move up? Additional scholarships and huge increases in coaches salaries. Plus how do we recruit? Can we afford to give players cost of living money? And , can we compete with NIL money?

That’s what TV money is for. It can likely offset the cost of all of that.

citay said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Brett McMurphy @Brett_McMurphy
59m
USC & UCLA move to Big Ten should be completed by Friday & Big Ten may not stop at 16, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. Big 12 may get aggressive & look to add Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado & Utah. “We’re headed to super conferences,” source said

I wouldnt count OSU out, new stadium coming, uniforms compete with Oregon in my opinion(i prefer orange and black to green and gold) and technically they're closer to Portland than Eugene. No dispute that the success hasnt been there (baseball powerhouse) but I could still see them being a package.

I would definitely agree that WSU might get left out of the UW move being all the way out on the Palouse.

Do Utah and Colorado move into the BigXII or resort to the MW as well?

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
EverettGriz said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

For the love of Christ I hope so! I’d give my left nut for the Griz to be in the Mountain west. My money is on Boise and SDSU to the PAC

Even my ol' trusty hound One Ball would give a nut for the GRIZ to be in the MWC.

HelenaHandBasket said:
RainierGriz said:
Boise State and another MW school (SDSU or Utah state) to the pac 12. Then Montana and MSU to the Mountain West.

I just don't see this as the path the remaining Pac 12 schools will look. I think they sit at 10 and see what shakes loose from the Big 12.

Yeah, add ISU, OSU, the Ks and 2 of Baylor, Tech and TCU gets you 16. ACC, BIG, SEC and hybrid =64.

bigsky33 said:
citay said:

Boise is not going to sit at the big boy table when this is all said and done. We'll be back together again. :lol:

My guess is the Big 10 would also want Stanford and Washington. That would fit perfect academically and bring in Seattle and San Francisco to their foot print.

Hoops watcher said:
bigsky33 said:

Boise is not going to sit at the big boy table when this is all said and done. We'll be back together again. :lol:
They might not be at the big boy table, but we won’t be back together again.

bigsky33 said:
citay said:

Going to be interesting to see how the administration and the BOR reacts to these changes or if they will do anything.

Spanky2 said:
bigsky33 said:

Going to be interesting to see how the administration and the BOR reacts to these changes or if they will do anything.

In reality, I don't think there is anything currently for the BOR to consider.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky2 said:

Right now, you're right. A few years down the road, or shortly after USC and UCLA being officially moved, there'll be a lot of movement. I like the odds of Montana. NDSU, and MSU being part.of those moves, changes, etc.

Keep in mind, Montana is growing fast in population and the business world. The state is in a better position now. I won't be surprised, if the GRIZ benefit from this.

My Pac-12 friends say that the Pac-12 Network was producing about 15% of what they once talked about. The regionalization of the conference games turned out to be stupid. USC is a power, but UCLA not so much. Oregon and Washington are big, but Oregon isn't a very good school and may not be welcome in the Big 10. The Pac-12 region is small and good for travel, but also small for TV and TV income. Oregon and Eugene very small, but, yes, Phil Knight.

Will be interesting. I still think UM should go to the SEC. Would help recruiting.

Why don't the "big" schools just get together and decide who they want, with the tv people also in the room? Then, the big schools could decide who would be in which of their several conferences (maybe new names for conferences), again with the tv people in the room.

And then the next tier of schools could do the same thing. And then the next tier.

The NCAA could be dissolved.

Little, or big, schools that were punished for violations that no longer exist or now are allowed, or even encouraged could apply for reparations. Montana would be one of the first schools in that line. Every punishment for a hot dog violation would result in a $100,000 reparation.

All big time QB's and skill players, and most pretty women in bigger sports, would be guaranteed at least half a million in NIL money, as a base.

The Ivies would drop all major sports, so that more geeks could be admitted.

Presidents of the Big 4 schools would now report to the Athletic Directors.

Retiring Big 4 coaches would be offered the chance to become US Senators.

mthoopsfan said:
My Pac-12 friends say that the Pac-12 Network was producing about 15% of what they once talked about. The regionalization of the conference games turned out to be stupid. USC is a power, but UCLA not so much. Oregon and Washington are big, but Oregon isn't a very good school and may not be welcome in the Big 10. The Pac-12 region is small and good for travel, but also small for TV and TV income. Oregon and Eugene very small, but, yes, Phil Knight.

Will be interesting. I still think UM should go to the SEC. Would help recruiting.

Why don't the "big" schools just get together and decide who they want, with the tv people also in the room? Then, the big schools could decide who would be in which of their several conferences (maybe new names for conferences), again with the tv people in the room.

And then the next tier of schools could do the same thing. And then the next tier.

Little, or big, schools that were punished for violations that no longer exist or now are allowed, or even encouraged could apply for reparations. Montana would be one of the first schools in that line. Every punishment for a hot dog violation would result in a $100,000 reparation.

All big time QB's and skill players, and most pretty women in bigger sports, would be guaranteed at least half a million in NIL money, as a base.

I don't understand. Tuscon to LA to SLC to Boulder to Seattle is the largest geographic FBS conference by far. And small for TV revenue? It encompasses the 2nd, 6th, 12th and 14th, 17th and 25th largest markets in the nation.

mtgrizrule said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Right now, you're right. A few years down the road, or shortly after USC and UCLA being officially moved, there'll be a lot of movement. I like the odds of Montana. NDSU, and MSU being part.of those moves, changes, etc.

Keep in mind, Montana is growing fast in population and the business world. The state is in a better position now. I won't be surprised, if the GRIZ benefit from this.

I think people overestimate what the movement available to UM will be. You will see the top splinter off and take most the money and many of the lower FBS schools and a majority of the FCS schools have to make some difficult decision on their direction with football.

HelenaHandBasket said:
mtgrizrule said:

I think people overestimate what the movement available to UM will be. You will see the top splinter off and take most the money and many of the lower FBS schools and a majority of the FCS schools have to make some difficult decision on their direction with football.

We're kind of on the same page. I think I'm a little more positive on this helping the likes of Montana and Montana State, down the road.

Wow, UCLA and USC moves are already a done deal. At least according to some social media sources. Washington and Oregon approvals may follow soon as well.

I just don't think the Pac12 adds any MWC schools. I think they feel out the Big 10 and Big 12 for opportunities but are fine with sticking with 10 teams. I think their will be a shuffle of the current schools in the Power 5, but no movement of schools into a Power 5 from outside.

EverettGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

I don't understand. Tuscon to LA to SLC to Boulder to Seattle is the largest geographic FBS conference by far. And small for TV revenue? It encompasses the 2nd, 6th, 12th and 14th, 17th and 25th largest markets in the nation.

Oh, for the love of Christ...

Dense.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I just don't think the Pac12 adds any MWC schools. I think they feel out the Big 10 and Big 12 for opportunities but are fine with sticking with 10 teams. I think their will be a shuffle of the current schools in the Power 5, but no movement of schools into a Power 5 from outside.

Pretty sure it will be the PAC 8 soon. I don’t think Washington and Oregon will be far behind USC and UCLA. Already rumors floating around that they’re in the application process

Back