• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vs Texas Southern

74-62 Griz win! Game wasn't really even that close at the end. Just a weird last 3-ish minutes that the refs really effed up with their whistles.

Man that looked like a much better Griz team.

Falls was electric tonight and was that spark plug when we needed him. DJ does not look or play like a freshman. Vasquez came out hot in the 2nd half to extend the lead and help them get comfortable. And Sayeed did what Sayeed does, dominate. He led the Griz in points, rebounds, and assists!

Great win and lots to be happy with from this one.

PeauxRouge said:
LivingstonNative said:
WTF. A flagrant foul on Samuelson. That foul where Vazquez got pushed to the floor should’ve been reviewed.

I want to see that call again. Didn't seem like they cared to replay it for us for some reason. I don't recall it looking that bad.

It's a stupid rule about holding guys down while jockeying for rebounding position. Think they adopted it last year, saw it called in a contest I watched last year. He did have the guys arm hooked. Really haven't heard an explanation why it should be a flagrant foul though.

HookedonGriz said:
Man that looked like a much better Griz team.

Falls was electric tonight and was that spark plug when we needed him. DJ does not look or play like a freshman. Vasquez came out hot in the 2nd half to extend the lead and help them get comfortable. And Sayeed did what Sayeed does, dominate. He led the Griz in points, rebounds, and assists!

Great win and lots to be happy with from this one.

Agreed. Overall everyone looked good. A lot to like about this young team. This is the first time this year that we looked anything like teams from the past few years.

This team is going to be good. The older guys are asserting themselves and the freshman are getting their feel. Having Samuelson back helps a bunch and I think he will just get better as he gets his legs back. I really love those three freshman. Vasquez was just a stud tonight and hit some big shots. He is just a smooth player with a great head. Carter-Hollinger is just an efficient player..rebounds, plays great defense, shoots for a high percentage and is smart. Owens I think will have a big scoring game soon I believe..he has a beautiful looking 3 ball that just hasn't started to fall yet but he is so long and athletic. And Eddy Egun has such a huge upside. Sayeed was Sayeed and Manuel was solid. It was great to see Timmy out there playing with confidence again and having fun. It wasn't a perfect game at all but a huge step in the right direction. Anderson didn't play much and I think that had more to do with matchups in my opinion. They appeared to be more guard oriented. It will be interesting to see when Selcuk can play how the playing rotation develops. I think the difference between tonight and the Tech game is another example of how good of coach Travis really is.

grizonbob said:
Falls has made some really nice moves to the basket, but also has a couple dumb passes.

Impressed by Vazquez's shooting stroke.

Vasquez shot 40 (3s)/50 (field)/ 90 (line) as a senior so it shouldn't be too surprising.

UncleRico said:
This team is going to be good. The older guys are asserting themselves and the freshman are getting their feel. Having Samuelson back helps a bunch and I think he will just get better as he gets his legs back. I really love those three freshman. Vasquez was just a stud tonight and hit some big shots. He is just a smooth player with a great head. Carter-Hollinger is just an efficient player..rebounds, plays great defense, shoots for a high percentage and is smart. Owens I think will have a big scoring game soon I believe..he has a beautiful looking 3 ball that just hasn't started to fall yet but he is so long and athletic. And Eddy Egun has such a huge upside. Sayeed was Sayeed and Manuel was solid. It was great to see Timmy out there playing with confidence again and having fun. It wasn't a perfect game at all but a huge step in the right direction. Anderson didn't play much and I think that had more to do with matchups in my opinion. They appeared to be more guard oriented. It will be interesting to see when Selcuk can play how the playing rotation develops. I think the difference between tonight and the Tech game is another example of how good of coach Travis really is.

Very spot on summary on all counts. Yagi will be a huge addition when he can play and we are getting more glimpses of what's in store as these guys get more time playing together. I'm very excited to see the talent gel and plan to enjoy the ride. The future is bright.

Falls mainly, and Vasquez somewhat, played good D and shut down TS's stud. Falls had some nice steals. Still too many TOs, but some were just careless or bad luck. Vasquez had the stroke going for several minutes. Falls passed up an open 3 to make the extra pass to Vasquez, when he was hot, and he sunk it.

The Griz were consistent and didn't have any long lapses. TS was very athletic and long.

The 4 frosh are really good, play hard, are fun to watch and are going to be great players.

The Native American dancers performed again and were great.

Like Akem, a UM dance team member is out with a broken foot.

Fortunately, I took this week off work. I was able to make the game. Glad that I did. Despite a few too many turnovers, this team really impressed me in a lot of regards. Defense was a consistent, with only a few mental mistakes. I have no worries regarding the defense. DeCuire has made DEFENSE and team play a staple in the program. Both those were prevalent in this game.

Team play on defense is starting to transition to the offense. The players were much more composed and really looked for one another. They executed a couple really nice back doors and various cuts. Falls alley oop to Pridgett was absolutely a thing of beauty. Shortly there after, Pridgett drove baseline into a crowd. The defense on him was terrific. Usually, a player forces a shot, hoping for a foul. Nope, somehow Pridgett found Samuelson in the crowd. I honestly don't know how Pridgett spotted him, let alone got the ball to Samuelson. Everyone in my seating area was shocked at what they just witnessed. The bench went crazy on that pass. I hope to watch this game on demand or griz.com.

Collectively, this team has matured A LOT this past week. I paid close attention to how each player was acting, communicating, etc. The returnees, including Samuelson, led by example. They showed confidence in one another. As much criticism as Falls takes here, I have to give him credit where it's due. He played much more within himself, even his turnovers weren't that careless. His teammates have to be ready for the ball all the time, when he has the ball. His passes happen quickly, and often catch teammates off guard. Timmy didn't let anything rattle him this game. I could tell he was holding back his emotion a few times. It paid dividends for himself and his team. One mistake didn't lead to a series of bad plays. He remained focus on defense and even did a great job on the boards too. Hell, he even took the time to encourage and coach Vasquez on the court. Timmy was definitely a positive difference maker this game. That is the Timmy we need every game. He even turned down a wide open 3, to milk the clock more. Now, to get him to shoot the ball with proper rotation. Tonight, he caused himself a few points, with that side rotation spinning away from the rim. Proper rotation, those shots fall (yes, that includes FT's).

The Freshmen didn't look tentative. They all created on offense and looked to score. They took a lot of pressure off Pridgett and Manuel. Owens is going to become so unique of a Montana player. The GRIZ don't get 6'8" athletic, versatile, smooth wing players often. Even when he isn't scoring, he moves so smooth for a guy of his length. I honestly think, his scoring is about to break out. He makes everything look natural. Carter Hollinger has terrific post moves and mid range game. He's got a great nose for the ball on the boards. He even got to break the press with ball handling. He looked pretty damn comfortable doing it too. Speaking of comfortable, Vasquez is looking very comfortable shooting the ball. He has an absolutely "PURE" stroke. He also did a little more ball handling within the offense. He still isn't being expected to penetrate to create for himself or his teammates. It looks to me, he is progressing toward that though.

Overall, the returnees are becoming more comfortable with all the youth. In turn, the youth is gaining confidence and contributing more, with less mistakes. What will I be looking for the next month from this team? Timmy Falls continuing to mature into a more calm player, without losing his aggression and flash (selectively using his flash). Manuel looking to score more and continue to be aggressive, when needed. Vasquez adding more penetration and creating more. Owens, gradually progressing into a 3 level scorer. Carter Hollinger adding some perimeter shooting to go with his already strong paint play. Samuelson getting back into basketball shape and becoming a reliable scoring option. Anderson, get more post touches, build his confidence, and become another reliable option. I also hope, somehow DeCuire finds a few more minutes for Egun. His energy is so damn contagious. I absolutely love his intensity, heart, and hustle. I am guessing, he needs to harness that a little too.

Great improvement by the team. These Freshman are just going to get better. I really look forward to watching them progress. They are going to be a very special class, with time.

mtgrizrule said:
Fortunately, I took this week off work. I was able to make the game. Glad that I did. Despite a few too many turnovers, this team really impressed me in a lot of regards. Defense was a consistent, with only a few mental mistakes. I have no worries regarding the defense. DeCuire has made DEFENSE and team play a staple in the program. Both those were prevalent in this game.

Team play on defense is starting to transition to the offense. The players were much more composed and really looked for one another. They executed a couple really nice back doors and various cuts. Falls alley oop to Pridgett was absolutely a thing of beauty. Shortly there after, Pridgett drove baseline into a crowd. The defense on him was terrific. Usually, a player forces a shot, hoping for a foul. Nope, somehow Pridgett found Samuelson in the crowd. I honestly don't know how Pridgett spotted him, let alone got the ball to Samuelson. Everyone in my seating area was shocked at what they just witnessed. The bench went crazy on that pass. I hope to watch this game on demand or griz.com.

Collectively, this team has matured A LOT this past week. I paid close attention to how each player was acting, communicating, etc. The returnees, including Samuelson, led by example. They showed confidence in one another. As much criticism as Falls takes here, I have to give him credit where it's due. He played much more within himself, even his turnovers weren't that careless. His teammates have to be ready for the ball all the time, when he has the ball. His passes happen quickly, and often catch teammates off guard. Timmy didn't let anything rattle him this game. I could tell he was holding back his emotion a few times. It paid dividends for himself and his team. One mistake didn't lead to a series of bad plays. He remained focus on defense and even did a great job on the boards too. Hell, he even took the time to encourage and coach Vasquez on the court. Timmy was definitely a positive difference maker this game. That is the Timmy we need every game. He even turned down a wide open 3, to milk the clock more. Now, to get him to shoot the ball with proper rotation. Tonight, he caused himself a few points, with that side rotation spinning away from the rim. Proper rotation, those shots fall (yes, that includes FT's).

The Freshmen didn't look tentative. They all created on offense and looked to score. They took a lot of pressure off Pridgett and Manuel. Owens is going to become so unique of a Montana player. The GRIZ don't get 6'8" athletic, versatile, smooth wing players often. Even when he isn't scoring, he moves so smooth for a guy of his length. I honestly think, his scoring is about to break out. He makes everything look natural. Carter Hollinger has terrific post moves and mid range game. He's got a great nose for the ball on the boards. He even got to break the press with ball handling. He looked pretty damn comfortable doing it too. Speaking of comfortable, Vasquez is looking very comfortable shooting the ball. He has an absolutely "PURE" stroke. He also did a little more ball handling within the offense. He still isn't being expected to penetrate to create for himself or his teammates. It looks to me, he is progressing toward that though.

Overall, the returnees are becoming more comfortable with all the youth. In turn, the youth is gaining confidence and contributing more, with less mistakes. What will I be looking for the next month from this team. Timmy Falls continuing to mature into a more calm player, without losing his aggression and flash (selectively using his flash). Manuel looking to score more and continue to be aggressive, when needed. Vasquez adding more penetration and creating more. Owens, gradually progressing into a 3 level scorer. Carter Hollinger adding some perimeter shooting to go with his already strong paint play. Samuelson getting back into basketball shape and becoming a reliable scoring option. Anderson, get more post touches, build his confidence, and become another reliable option. I also hope, somehow DeCuire finds a few more minutes for Egun. His energy is so damn contagious. I absolutely love his intensity, heart, and hustle. I am guessing, he needs to harness that a little too.

Great improvement by the team. These Freshman are just going to get better. I really look forward to watching them progress. They are going to be a very special class, with time.

Another great synopsis, rule, the defensive rotations were much crisper and a very noticeable improvement compared to the Tech game. Totally agree with your observations about the frosh. I want to see W's every time out but also like watching Coach experiment with personnel groups so I expect some rough stretches. Should pay off later. We were also wondering about the lack of more Eddy, seems like he'd match up well against an athletic group like they had.

Great thread. Insightful comments all around. Thought I'd add this clip of the fast break where Falls flipped a hook assist to Sayeed on the breakaway. Broke the game open.

HOWEVER, watch the first 3 seconds of this clip & observe how Vazquez handled the loose ball & got the quick kick-out for the fast break. Incredible ball handling in the rebound scrum. This kid is going to be a great triple threat point guard. He's fast on his way. Overall, I agree with everyone on this board... this team is going to be very good.

[media]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/1199167794195001345[/media]

grizzlyjournal said:
Great thread. Insightful comments all around. Thought I'd add this clip of the fast break where Falls flipped a hook assist to Sayeed on the breakaway. Broke the game open.

HOWEVER, watch the first 3 seconds of this clip & observe how Vazquez handled the loose ball & got the quick kick-out for the fast break. Incredible ball handling in the rebound scrum. This kid is going to be a great triple threat point guard. He's fast on his way. Overall, I agree with everyone on this board... this team is going to be very good.

[media]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/1199167794195001345[/media]

At the time of that play, Vasquez ability to get that break started with some quick nice ball handling was pretty damn amazing. That video doesn't do him justice. In person, it was very impressive. Thank you for pointing that out. I am kicking myself for forgetting about it.

It was really nice to see a game, when no 1 player hurt the team. They turned it around nicely, every player that played contributed positively.

I spoke briefly with Sayeed, and all the frosh after the game. What a terrific bunch, very well mannered, kind, and well spoken. Each of them thanked me for attending the game and for my support. They were sincere too. Sayeed certainly takes pride in leading this bunch. Too add, I have a feeling, Timmy is going to emerge as a solid leader too. I saw a lot of little things from him, that really impressed me. Things that most fans don't look for. I don't know him well, but he seems to take constructive criticism well, after he thinks about whatever it might be. Vasquez certainly was paying attention to him.

Timmy is one tenacious defender. I would hate to have him guard me. (Don’t comment on that as it’s too easy) He puts so much pressure on his man that he really takes him out of his game. He is really focused on the defensive end. I enjoy watching that. It takes a lot more effort to play great defense than it takes to play offense.

I'm very curious to see how Sayeed does as a pro. Of course, to have any shot at the NBA, it would have to be as a point guard, his position in high school. Could he make it? He'd have to work on his handle and his shot, but I think he's got the tools--and the character--to make it.

And yet another impressive game from Vazquez. Every now and then you come across a player for whom the game just seems effortless, smooth, unhurried, and yet totally controlled and effective. James Harden is like that. And while I'm certainly not comparing him to Harden in terms of talent, I am in that smooth effortless way he plays the game. Having him in the program for four years will be a joy.

And finally, how easy is it to take for granted that three of the kids in our rotation are true freshmen--and a fourth is a redshirt freshman. These kids are so good, I keep forgetting that. Al McGuire used to say, the only good thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. I say, the best thing about these freshmen is that they are all playing at Montana.

citay said:
I'm very curious to see how Sayeed does as a pro. Of course, to have any shot at the NBA, it would have to be as a point guard, his position in high school. Could he make it? He'd have to work on his handle and his shot, but I think he's got the tools--and the character--to make it.

And yet another impressive game from Vazquez. Every now and then you come across a player for whom the game just seems effortless, smooth, unhurried, and yet totally controlled and effective. James Harden is like that. And while I'm certainly not comparing him to Harden in terms of talent, I am in that smooth effortless way he plays the game. Having him in the program for four years will be a joy.

And finally, how easy is it to take for granted that three of the kids in our rotation are true freshmen--and a fourth is a redshirt freshman. These kids are so good, I keep forgetting that. Al McGuire used to say, the only good thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. I say, the best thing about these freshmen is that they are all playing at Montana.

Good thoughts on Sayeed, citay. :thumb: I agree. I think he has a "sleeper" chance... might take a year of G-League play to concentrate on specifics. What a lot of people haven't seen is that Sayeed has played post defense from the mid-point of last season through last night (It's worth re-watching Montana's game vs Washington & focus on Sayeed's D). He had two blocks last night against significantly taller opponents... and three steals. People expect him to shine of offense, of course, but the things he's called on to do defensively (which he does very well) are what may pay dividends down the road.

And then, sometime last night early in the second half, things just started clicking. Fans sensed it & the electricity in the arena started fueling it. I think it was just after Josh's second-straight trey... Everyone relaxed, Manuel got his stroke zeroed in, and the floor opened up for Montana's offense to click into gear. Reality: They're very young and will face challenges. But they have the tools where the sky's the limit for them to keep improving with each game.

As you hint in your post, add in the transfers and frosh next season. ;) The ride is going to be fun.

Vasquez needs to shoot and penetrate more. In the Tech game, he didn't do either, not even once to my recollection. It was good to read that he did more in the UW game. He had a nice streak of 3 nice shots last night, but that's not enough. In my view, he dribbles too much and too long, and for little or no purpose. Dribbling and passing around the perimeter safely is fine, but he presumably has the ability and potential to do much more. I know he's only a true frosh early in the season, but he doesn't take care of the ball or distribute nearly as well as Rorie. Yes, I know Rorie was an upperclassman.

I don't know how good this team is or can be this year, but they sure are fun to watch. And watching the 4 frosh is especially exciting, as they are very good with great potential, and one can see them grow from week to week. The two big frosh are not shy or intimated either.

grizzlyjournal said:
citay said:

Good thoughts on Sayeed, citay. :thumb: I agree. I think he has a "sleeper" chance... might take a year of G-League play to concentrate on specifics. What a lot of people haven't seen is that Sayeed has played post defense from the mid-point of last season through last night (It's worth re-watching Montana's game vs Washington & focus on Sayeed's D). He had two blocks last night against significantly taller opponents... and three steals. People expect him to shine of offense, of course, but the things he's called on to do defensively (which he does very well) are what may pay dividends down the road.

And then, sometime last night early in the second half, things just started clicking. Fans sensed it & the electricity in the arena started fueling it. I think it was just after Josh's second-straight trey... Everyone relaxed, Manuel got his stroke zeroed in, and the floor opened up for Montana's offense to click into gear. Reality: They're very young and will face challenges. But they have the tools where the sky's the limit for them to keep improving with each game.

As you hint in your post, add in the transfers and frosh next season. ;) The ride is going to be fun.

Sayeed reminds me of Sidney Moncrief. I think Sayeed is a better shooter than we give him credit for. He's already a solid shooter. He just doesn't utilize it as much as he could. It's not a big part of his mental make up. I can see him as a combo 1,2,3 (depending on lineup and match ups). He can be a big guard in a big line up and a small forward in a small line up. His versatility is his best asset.

Griz1 said:
Timmy is one tenacious defender. I would hate to have him guard me. (Don’t comment on that as it’s too easy) He puts so much pressure on his man that he really takes him out of his game. He is really focused on the defensive end. I enjoy watching that. It takes a lot more effort to play great defense than it takes to play offense.

I watched him a lot when he was guarding their super quick lefty and he never lost track of him in the half court. Impressive for sure.

UncleRico said:

Absolutely spot on analysis. If Timmy settles down a little and keeps his head, it makes a huge difference for this team.

mtgrizrule said:
grizzlyjournal said:
citay said:

Sayeed reminds me of Sidney Moncrief. I think Sayeed is a better shooter than we give him credit for. He's already a solid shooter. He just doesn't utilize it as much as he could. It's not a big part of his mental make up. I can see him as a combo 1,2,3 (depending on lineup and match ups). He can be a big guard in a big line up and a small forward in a small line up. His versatility is his best asset.

Moncrief is a great comp, those teams were also guard oriented at a time when post play was more dominant than today. Also makes me recall the Illinois teams in the 90's with Nick Anderson and company.

Josh has great court vision like Timmy and you can see him looking up court anticipating possibilities in transition, something not every player has. Agree with PR that he needs to be more aggressive, but realize he's young, needs to gain confidence and being a primary facilitator is a big ask for a new guy. He seems to be playing not to make mistakes at times but as citay posts he has the court sense and I think we will see tremendous growth this season with him and all the new guys. They seem to like playing together and that is great to see.

Back