• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Warriors Memo to Griz

citay said:
wyomingriz said:
I was speaking metaphorically, which appears to conveniently confuse you

Kerr has learned from the best. I've told this story before but it's worth repeating.

When he sat down for his initial interview with the Warriors he brought along a thick playbook. The Warriors brass complimented him on it.

"Oh," he said. "That's just the out-of-bounds plays."

Kerr is great at connecting with players and letting them play(overall a great coach), not taking anything away from that. As far as basketball intelligence goes, with making in-game adjustments and running complicated sets, i disagree. I would put Monty Williams and Tyron Lue way ahead of Kerr, unconscious bias may get the best of some on this thread. Also, Spoelstra and Nurse make Kerr look like JV when it comes to basketball minds.

Kerr has done a good job of not screwing up great teams, i compare him to the likes of Phil Jackson, Larry Brown, Chuck Daly and Don Nelson

wyomingriz said:
citay said:
Kerr has learned from the best. I've told this story before but it's worth repeating.

When he sat down for his initial interview with the Warriors he brought along a thick playbook. The Warriors brass complimented him on it.

Kerr is great at connecting with players and letting them play(overall a great coach), not taking anything away from that. As far as basketball intelligence goes, with making in-game adjustments and running complicated sets, i disagree. I would put Monty Williams and Tyron Lue way ahead of Kerr, unconscious bias may get the best of some on this thread. Also, Spoelstra and Nurse make Kerr look like JV when it comes to basketball minds.

Kerr has done a good job of not screwing up great teams, i compare him to the likes of Phil Jackson, Larry Brown, Chuck Daly and Don Nelson

That’s a pretty good list of coaches that didn’t screw up their teams with a lot of nba championships. I’m sure Kerr would be happy to be on that list. As for unconscious bias, I have none towards Kerr as a coach cus I for one, as a Bulls fan, am tired of watching Golden State win. It does sound like someone has a conscious dislike towards Kerr’s coaching style though.

wyomingriz said:
citay said:

Here would be my rebuttal, beyond the fact that Kerr has as many NBA championships as a coach as Spolestra, Lue, Williams and Nurse combined.

Through their dynasty, the Warriors have had several lesser players who played key roles on the team at various times: Ian Clark, Patrick McCaw, Jordan Bell, Quinn Cook, Marreese Speights, Matt Barnes, Alfonzo McKinnie. Any Warrior fan will remember these names fondly. And yet once they went on to other teams, they amounted to nothing. It was Kerr's system that made them, not their individual talents.

This year we saw another guy, Gary Payton II, who was cut by the Bucks, Lakers and Wizards before he thrived in Kerr's system--which him got a $26 million contract with the Blazers. How will he do with them? I hope well because he's a great guy. But not only will it be fun to see him defend Steph Curry, it'll be interesting to answer the question: Was it the player or was it Kerr's system?

citay said:
wyomingriz said:

Here would be my rebuttal, beyond the fact that Kerr has as many NBA championships as a coach as Spolestra, Lue, Williams and Nurse combined.

Through their dynasty, the Warriors have had several lesser players who played key roles on the team at various times: Ian Clark, Patrick McCaw, Jordan Bell, Quinn Cook, Marreese Speights, Matt Barnes, Alfonzo McKinnie. Any Warrior fan will remember these names fondly. And yet once they went on to other teams, they amounted to nothing. It was Kerr's system that made them, not their individual talents.

This year we saw another guy, Gary Payton II, who was cut by the Bucks, Lakers and Wizards before he thrived in Kerr's system--which him got a $26 million contract with the Blazers. How will he do with them? I hope well because he's a great guy. But not only will it be fun to see him defend Steph Curry, it'll be interesting to answer the question: Was it the player or was it Kerr's system?

I agree with you that a lot of guys play better under Kerr than they do in other places. Why? I think it is because Kerr is just a great communicator. You can see it in interviews and they way his players respond to him. Players with the Warriors seem to accept their roles and that has to do in large part because of the relationship Kerr has built with them. This championship solidified what a great coach he is. Klay was not 100%, Wiggins was close to MVP type play and big in big games and there was Steph who was amazing. I am actually a Spurs fan but I have nothing but respect for the way the Warriors go about their business.

Random memory--Kerr was a guest that Krystko had up for 1998 Flathead Lake Hoopfest outdoor 3 on 3 tournament in Polson. He was surprisingly taller than you'd think in person. As he looked small roaming the perimeter for those Bulls championship teams, I remember seeing him in person and being surprised at his height.

He also was a good sport and competed in the 3 point contest and won that too. He later told the press that winning that was as exciting as making the championship winning shot for the NBA title with the Bulls.

UncleRico said:
citay said:

I agree with you that a lot of guys play better under Kerr than they do in other places. Why? I think it is because Kerr is just a great communicator. You can see it in interviews and they way his players respond to him. Players with the Warriors seem to accept their roles and that has to do in large part because of the relationship Kerr has built with them. This championship solidified what a great coach he is. Klay was not 100%, Wiggins was close to MVP type play and big in big games and there was Steph who was amazing. I am actually a Spurs fan but I have nothing but respect for the way the Warriors go about their business.

Both the Warriors and the Spurs were lucky to have players of high character at the core of their dynasties, Steph for the Warriors and David Robinson and Tim Duncan for the Spurs. Kerr learned a lot from Pop, and I think not only the Warriors but every team in the NBA has respect for the way the Spurs go about their business.

alabamagrizzly said:
wyomingriz said:

That’s a pretty good list of coaches that didn’t screw up their teams with a lot of nba championships. I’m sure Kerr would be happy to be on that list. As for unconscious bias, I have none towards Kerr as a coach cus I for one, as a Bulls fan, am tired of watching Golden State win. It does sound like someone has a conscious dislike towards Kerr’s coaching style though.

As always selective reading on your part… I said he was a “great”coach, compared him to past greats, never said i disliked his style. I actually really enjoy watching the Warriors, love their style(nice speculation on your part). Great communicator, motivator and players coach(my words), which has been arguably the recipe for NBA titles. My point is, lets not get carried away and label him as someone he is not, he is not a great basketball mind. I loved watching Phil Jackson’s (great coach) Bulls however, i also refuse to call him a great basketball mind

wyomingriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

As always selective reading on your part… I said he was a “great”coach, compared him to past greats, never said i disliked his style. I actually really enjoy watching the Warriors, love their style(nice speculation on your part). Great communicator, motivator and players coach(my words), which has been arguably the recipe for NBA titles. My point is, lets not get carried away and label him as someone he is not, he is not a great basketball mind. I loved watching Phil Jackson’s (great coach) Bulls however, i also refuse to call him a great basketball mind

Tex Winter might have been the great basketball mind to compliment Phil Jackson. Phil was smart enough to recognize that.

UncleRico said:
wyomingriz said:

Tex Winter might have been the great basketball mind to compliment Phil Jackson. Phil was smart enough to recognize that.
Ah yes, the Triangle offense of the 80’s and 90”s, good memories! We ran that in college

wyomingriz said:
UncleRico said:
wyomingriz said:

Ah yes, the Triangle offense of the 80’s and 90”s, good memories! We ran that in college
wyomingriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

How do you rate Popovitch as a coach?

citay said:
wyomingriz said:

I don't pretend to know enough to rate how good a coach Spolestra, Lue, Williams and Nurse are, but just because they haven't won a championship is not a valid diss about their abilities. For the record I DO think Kerr is a good coach, but, again, his team sucked in 2019-20 without his superstars. I think the roster talent matters a lot more than the coach.

Zirg said:
citay said:

I don't pretend to know enough to rate how good a coach Spolestra, Lue, Williams and Nurse are, but just because they haven't won a championship is not a valid diss about their abilities. For the record I DO think Kerr is a good coach, but, again, his team sucked in 2019-20 without his superstars. I think the roster talent matters a lot more than the coach.

As is the case w/ most coaches in most sports. Really, any coach is only as good as the talent they put on the floor.

wyomingriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

So I obviously don’t know as much about coaching styles as you so I can’t argue that point. I will however change the topic to something I can debate and that is your selective reading comment. I believe I fully read entire posts I comment on. Please give other examples where I have “always selectively read”(your words) posts that I’ve commented on. On a side note to the original topic, I noticed you never responded back to citay’s comment to you, someone who I’m sure knows as much, if not more about coaching styles then you. Do you always only pick the low hanging fruit😊?

UncleRico said:
wyomingriz said:

wait. What? Phil Jackson isn't a great basketball mind?? You must have a very short list. Google "Phil Jackson basketball mind." the first result says "NBA and sports fans widely regard him as one of the most brilliant and unique minds in sports history." He might not have invented the triangle defense, but he was smart enough to use everything he learned from others and through his 27 years in the NBA, I think he understands the NBA about as well as anyone. Just because of his Zen/meditation stuff some people might overlook his incredible basketball IQ.

alabamagrizzly said:
wyomingriz said:

So I obviously don’t know as much about coaching styles as you so I can’t argue that point. I will however change the topic to something I can debate and that is your selective reading comment. I believe I fully read entire posts I comment on. Please give other examples where I have “always selectively read”(your words) posts that I’ve commented on. On a side note to the original topic, I noticed you never responded back to citay’s comment to you, someone who I’m sure knows as much, if not more about coaching styles then you. Do you always only pick the low hanging fruit😊?

Not sure why you think Citay’s question is tough for me to answer….I think Popovich is very good at making adjustments and drawing up sets on the fly. A few years ago he drew up a sideline out of bounds play that tied the game at the buzzer, that he had never run before or even thought of, but thought a defender would bite on a decoy. I also think Pop is a players coach at the same time, so yes is my answer.

I don’t just pick low hanging fruit(more speculation on your part, another example you asked for), truth is sometimes i don’t get on my iPad for days of even a week at a time, sorry i missed 2 days :cry: I do think you are very political and dig your heels in to protect figures that align with you, I do not

wyomingriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Not sure why you think Citay’s question is tough for me to answer….I think Popovich is very good at making adjustments and drawing up sets on the fly. A few years ago he drew up a sideline out of bounds play that tied the game at the buzzer, that he had never run before or even thought of, but thought a defender would bite on a decoy. I also think Pop is a players coach at the same time, so yes is my answer.

I don’t just pick low hanging fruit(more speculation on your part, another example you asked for), truth is sometimes i don’t get on my iPad for days of even a week at a time, sorry i missed 2 days :cry: I do think you are very political and dig your heels in to protect figures that align with you, I do not

Ok, you must have me confused with someone else. I’m as anti political as they come and try to protect no one. Also, citay’s question was not a yes or no answer.

Back