• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Washington Redskins are reviewing name of team.

And now the Cleveland Indians will go down. Browns next?

Cleveland Indians To Consider Name Change
By Jeff Todd | July 3, 2020 at 7:52pm CDT

In the wake of the potential forthcoming name change of the NFL’s Washington Redskins, the Cleveland Indians appear to be approaching a reckoning of their own. The organization issued a statement on the matter, first disclosing it to Zack Meisel and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (subscription link) and then publishing it on Twitter.

While the “Indians” moniker hasn’t drawn quite as much ire as the Washington football club’s nickname, there has been pressure on the baseball club for quite some time. Much of the scorn focused on the team’s “Chief Wahoo” logo, which was finally sidelined for its offensive depiction of Native Americans.

No doubt the Cleveland organization saw the writing on the wall and recognized the merits of moving now. High-visibility corporate pressure finally forced the hand of the long-time D.C. NFL institution, but the obvious financial motivation left the club looking all the more craven.

The Indians attempted to walk a line in their official statement, hinting that the name change was already under consideration while also acknowledging that the immediate impetus was tied to “recent social unrest”:

“We have had ongoing discussions organizationally on these issues. The recent social unrest in our community and our country has only underscored the need for us to keep improving as an organization on issues of social justice. With that in mind, we are committed to engaging our community and appropriate stakeholders to determine the best path forward with regard to our team name.”

There’s no commitment just yet, but The Athletic cites “a source familiar with the club’s thinking” for the proposition that the organization is “prepared to consider changing the team name more seriously than they have before.”

Certainly, it would be difficult to walk this back now and hang onto the moniker for the long haul. Taking this approach does perhaps have the advantage of buying some time and avoiding the sudden crunch facing the Washington football club. It sounds as if the Cleveland organization will launch a process of some kind to make a final determination on the old nickname and a potential replacement.

WaGriz4life said:
The Patriots should change their name also. It celebrates white supremacy and founding fathers owned slaves and stuff. Anyone who disagrees is a racist.

Unless you posted a black square on social media, then you are not a racist. Unless, you vote for Trump or Steve Daines or any republican, then you are once again a racist.

Fellas, can’t we all just discuss a possible new fucking name to replace Redskins with and leave the political bs to another thread? Thanks :thumb:

Dutch Lane said:
WaGriz4life said:
The Patriots should change their name also. It celebrates white supremacy and founding fathers owned slaves and stuff. Anyone who disagrees is a racist.

Unless you posted a black square on social media, then you are not a racist. Unless, you vote for Trump or Steve Daines or any republican, then you are once again a racist.

Fellas, can’t we all just discuss a possible new f###[#] name to replace Redskins with and leave the political bs to another thread? Thanks :thumb:

So you contend that discussing "a possible new f###[#] name to replace Redskins with" is not political?

Washington Rough Riders. Riders for short.

Tribute to Teddy Roosevelt and his volunteer calvary, The Rough Riders.

However, I suspect somehow someone will say its offensive.

I guess all teams should just be named after animals or storm systems! So let’s go with Washington Weasels as it rhymes.

Don’t get me wrong Red Skins is derogatory and should be changed. But really what’s wrong with Braves with the logo? Or Warrior. Something To be seen as a recognition or tribute.

Heck my grand parents came from Denmark. So I look at the Minnesota Vikings as a tribute to heritage . However, one could be offended because we know Vikings were pillagers and not the nicest people.

So take it a step farther. Some tribes of different Natives killed unsuspecting women and children of European decent. I guess that’s okay because Europeans took over there lands and they were striking back?

Lands haven been taken over for centuries and well before Europeans came to the americas. Those land take overs have shaped this world to what it is today. Right or wrong it’s shaped our world history.

The United States history has not been a fairytale. Some horrible things have taken place within this county. However, everything all of us have is because of this nations history. The important thing is we all learn from past atrocities and mistakes. Our history is a road map of our past, that in my opinion should not be wiped out or erased. To me erasing our past is disrespectful to those that suffered.

This country may not be perfect, but it’s the best nation on the face of this planet. I am proud to have served and fought to protect our history and the citizen within its boarders. The same citizens that will shape our futures and be history to future generations.

You really don’t want your hard work and struggles to be erased do you?

Dutch Lane said:
The Washington Redskins are seriously thinking about a name change after the CEO of Fedex and few others have quietly taken an interest in the matter. The list of some of names under considerations are

The red tails
The red clouds
The Braves
The warriors
The federals
and this one, no name just the “Washington football club”

I like the red tails, name used by the WW II Tuskegee airmen. Honors some African American war heros. Right on :thumb:

:thumb:

zengriz said:
...been a redskin all my life..change it...
...change the name to the "dickheads...
...pull a condom on the owners head...
...make him the mascot..win..win..win...

... :shock: ...
My brother-in-law, a fan of the team, refers to them as "the Foreskins."

kemajic said:
And now the Cleveland Indians will go down. Browns next?

Cleveland Indians To Consider Name Change
By Jeff Todd | July 3, 2020 at 7:52pm CDT

In the wake of the potential forthcoming name change of the NFL’s Washington Redskins, the Cleveland Indians appear to be approaching a reckoning of their own. The organization issued a statement on the matter, first disclosing it to Zack Meisel and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (subscription link) and then publishing it on Twitter.

While the “Indians” moniker hasn’t drawn quite as much ire as the Washington football club’s nickname, there has been pressure on the baseball club for quite some time. Much of the scorn focused on the team’s “Chief Wahoo” logo, which was finally sidelined for its offensive depiction of Native Americans.

No doubt the Cleveland organization saw the writing on the wall and recognized the merits of moving now. High-visibility corporate pressure finally forced the hand of the long-time D.C. NFL institution, but the obvious financial motivation left the club looking all the more craven.

The Indians attempted to walk a line in their official statement, hinting that the name change was already under consideration while also acknowledging that the immediate impetus was tied to “recent social unrest”:

“We have had ongoing discussions organizationally on these issues. The recent social unrest in our community and our country has only underscored the need for us to keep improving as an organization on issues of social justice. With that in mind, we are committed to engaging our community and appropriate stakeholders to determine the best path forward with regard to our team name.”

There’s no commitment just yet, but The Athletic cites “a source familiar with the club’s thinking” for the proposition that the organization is “prepared to consider changing the team name more seriously than they have before.”

Certainly, it would be difficult to walk this back now and hang onto the moniker for the long haul. Taking this approach does perhaps have the advantage of buying some time and avoiding the sudden crunch facing the Washington football club. It sounds as if the Cleveland organization will launch a process of some kind to make a final determination on the old nickname and a potential replacement.
I’m thinking you are way off base there Kem, I heard that the heirs to the estate of the late Paul Brown have signed off the use if his sir name years ago. So don’t worry about the browns, the sjw can’t touch em. Right on. So what name do you like for the skins, how about Washington Americans? I still like the red tails because of the racial and military history. The first black fighter pilots in a segregated military. And dc is predominantly African American. That would really embrace the movement. Keep the same colors and put the profile of each Tuskegee airman (86 were KIA) on the helmet where the Indian head is now, and have them represented in a WW II flight helmet with googles. Then the fedex stadium can turn its concourses into a world class museum honoring them like they should be. It would be an incredible marketing tool and that’s what it’s all about right. GO ‘Tails!

IdaGriz01 said:
cclarkblues said:
If they want to have a name that best describes the area they reside in, then they should change it to The Lying Bastards and the logo should be dollar signs on the helmets.
Just out of deviltry, I suggest a sanitized paraphrase: the "Primrose Pelts."
:lol:

Myself, I kinda agree that “Redskins” should be gone ... since the term long ago drifted into the insulting category (although it started out as simply a handy descriptor).

On the other hand, I never understood dumping "Fighting Sioux" as a moniker. After all, back in the day, that's what they did ... and did it damned well. Ask Custer (well, his ghost if you can call him up).

Better yet, ask the Cheyenne, the Arikara, the Kiowa, and so on. Thinking along those lines, it amuses me (somewhat) when Sioux "claim" the Black Hills (for example) as their "ancestral homeland." In reality, the Sioux didn't arrive in the region until something like 1700-1725, and perhaps even later. (Keeping mind that dates are somewhat elastic in Native American history.) Until then, they were scattered over Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Then various Chippawa tribes (aided by arms supplied by the French) kicked most of them out of that area. But the Sioux adapted amazingly well to a horse-based culture, and thrived. But, even with almost-constant warfare, it took decades to impose their occupation. In fact, some of them like to mark 1776 as the year they cemented their hold on the Black Hills. And make no mistake about it: Their primary claim to the land was “by right of conquest.”
What about the black hills treaties, where the federal government ceded huge tracks of the public domain to the tribes? You’re familiar with the 1890 massacre at wounded knee I’m sure which resulted in the black hills being stolen again. You ok with just saying fuck that noise and we are going have the same guy who was hired to carve Stone Mountain for the loser confederates, carve up a holy site. Or it’s doesn’t count as a holy cite because it’s not old enough because and they stole it recently from some other tribe? Sounds about right. Lol. Why don’t you just throw out a fucking name for the team in Washington and post political diatribe where it belongs over on the Tabbo thread.

...leave it redskins...
...change the mascot...
...those little red potatoes...
...politically..environmentally ...

... :ugeek: ...

OrgonGriz said:
Washington Rough Riders. Riders for short.

Tribute to Teddy Roosevelt and his volunteer calvary, The Rough Riders.

However, I suspect somehow someone will say its offensive.

I guess all teams should just be named after animals or storm systems! So let’s go with Washington Weasels as it rhymes.

Don’t get me wrong Red Skins is derogatory and should be changed. But really what’s wrong with Braves with the logo? Or Warrior. Something To be seen as a recognition or tribute.

Heck my grand parents came from Denmark. So I look at the Minnesota Vikings as a tribute to heritage . However, one could be offended because we know Vikings were pillagers and not the nicest people.

So take it a step farther. Some tribes of different Natives killed unsuspecting women and children of European decent. I guess that’s okay because Europeans took over there lands and they were striking back?

Lands haven been taken over for centuries and well before Europeans came to the americas. Those land take overs have shaped this world to what it is today. Right or wrong it’s shaped our world history.

The United States history has not been a fairytale. Some horrible things have taken place within this county. However, everything all of us have is because of this nations history. The important thing is we all learn from past atrocities and mistakes. Our history is a road map of our past, that in my opinion should not be wiped out or erased. To me erasing our past is disrespectful to those that suffered.

This country may not be perfect, but it’s the best nation on the face of this planet. I am proud to have served and fought to protect our history and the citizen within its boarders. The same citizens that will shape our futures and be history to future generations.

You really don’t want your hard work and struggles to be erased do you?

..come on!.. you are making to much sense but when you understand what Marxist Elitist Globalist are trying to
achieve they have to erase our history and re-create their own history to dominate! ...therefore sports is becoming
one of the areas where they are exposing injustice of race...they want to divide us and conquer us..no nation
is perfect and no people are perfect but be thankful this 4th of July of founders who made this country great!

...it's worth fighting for!

DuCharme said:
Gettin’ a bit snowflakey in here...

yeah, why are people whining about some privately owned business considering a name change because if they don't they will likely lose revenue? that's called capitalism, baby! or rather, babies!

argh! said:
DuCharme said:
Gettin’ a bit snowflakey in here...

yeah, why are people whining about some privately owned business considering a name change because if they don't they will likely lose revenue? that's called capitalism, baby! or rather, babies!

Arg! You’re dumbing it down too much for the masses. :clap: :thumb:

Dutch Lane said:
argh! said:

...everything is going to be alright..once the NFL starts singing the "Black Anthem " ( written by a black republican )
before each game sang by Colin Kaepernick! :clap:

Half breed here , If the change the Redskins name then they better change the Cowboys name . Cowboys are racist don't you know . How many Indians did they kill .
Oh , Don't forget te Chiefs either , Atlanta Braves ????. Fuck it let's get rid of the Giants , that name is offensive to little people !!!
Now that , Uncle Ben's, Aunt Jemima, Cream of wheat are rebranding. How dare that racist fuck keep his face on the Newmans Own brand ?????
Same goes for that racist Quaker on the oat box .
I'm sure Henry Ford had a servant or two , so let's boycott Ford motor company . We can keep going on this and pretty much someone is going to get offended by something, big or little . I'm offended by blue and piss yellow so let's get rid of those colors . Let's get rid of the color purple because of that one movie ( no not Purple Rain either )

Am i the only one that thinks this is fucking stupid ???

grizghost said:
Dutch Lane said:

...everything is going to be alright..once the NFL starts singing the "Black Anthem " ( written by a black republican )

Please someone defend this poor guy , must've had a tough life .
https://twitter.com/Kaepernick7/status/1279463720318570497?s=20

TCCGRIZ said:
grizghost said:

....I know my ancestor's didn't enslave anyone maybe Dutch's did...but this is getting disgusting..
the question is..will there be any NFL once everyone and everything is called racist...boy..wonder
why nobody wants this guy!

grizghost said:
TCCGRIZ said:

....I know my ancestor's didn't enslave anyone maybe Dutch's did...but this is getting disgusting..
the question is..will there be any NFL once everyone and everything is called racist...boy..wonder
why nobody wants this guy!

Were you to intellectually lazy to even bother to push the big blue and white arrow on the video? smh Hey Ghost GO FUCK YOURSELF. Why don’t you take your whinny bitch ass victimization bullshit and ruin PR’s Taboo anything goes thread with it and leave this one to Washington football fans. Thanks for leaving :thumb:

Latest posts

Back