• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weber State at Montana!

grizzlyjournal said:
I was at the game and -- despite some of the nay-saying in this thread -- thoroughly enjoyed it from about the 17-minute mark of the first half through the stunner of a last shot by Lonnell Martin via a perfect assist from Cam Parker. Electric and tension-filled throughout with neither team taking more than a 4-point lead from about the 15-minute mark to the final bucket. Tough in-your-face defense by both teams and a very efficient Montana offense for most of the game. I've seen a lot of Montana-Weber State games since about 1969 or so, and this win is in my top 5 for drama and a stunning conclusion.

Post-game quote by coach DeCuire: "Toward the end of the game I looked down at coach Rahe and saw his shiny forehead and I'm sure he looked down at me and saw the sweat running down my forehead. That's the kind of game it was.
Great win by this team. Go Griz.
https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/1477486700012003330

You are absolutely on the money. It's always extra intense with Weebs, other than a few brain farts that let them waltz in for dunks in the first half the team D was stellar. Weebs has several guys that can fill it up and they had to work hard for their points. Play shoddy D and Weebs will bury you in this league. Good to see the old DCH rounding into form and Josh is a top ten player in conference with upside from here. Would love to have Dylan Jones on the Griz, if he's not the MVP this season call me surprised. Does it all on both ends.

Great performance all around tonight. Shot the ball extremely well tonight, defense was stifling, the refs let them play, the crowd got into it, and everybody had good flow. My one and only criticism from tonight was on Martins heroic shot, if Parker passes the ball a split second earlier that’s a wide open layup and much easier shot. Let’s hope this win catapults us into the Big Sky race. This is a game that we absolutely lose last year. Great to see these guys come such a long way in a short amount of time. Big week coming up. Road trips to Eastern and the cats. Go Griz!

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1477520373344210944

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0orKlghi63CAjF3wcwudDl?si=4CjBSb6fQwKE_8aMXw-pNQ

Beating Weebs at home, when you can tell they knew it was a big game too, is always the best. If you're into great basketball games.

I loved the defensive effort in this hard-fought Griz win. It was also fun to see the Griz flat outscore a pretty good scoring team.

But the best part, as always, is watching Travis outcoach Randy Rahe. :lol:

I haven't had that much fun at a BB game in ages, the crowd was really getting into it too.
Love the effort these guys put into it! Go Griz!

This was a terrific basketball game. It felt like a tournament game. Great win for the GRIZ.

Seriously if you didn’t see it live, watch the replay on +. Absolutely one of the best bsc (#bsc) games since the Will Cherry days.

Griz til I die said:
Great performance all around tonight. Shot the ball extremely well tonight, defense was stifling, the refs let them play, the crowd got into it, and everybody had good flow. My one and only criticism from tonight was on Martins heroic shot, if Parker passes the ball a split second earlier that’s a wide open layup and much easier shot. Let’s hope this win catapults us into the Big Sky race. This is a game that we absolutely lose last year. Great to see these guys come such a long way in a short amount of time. Big week coming up. Road trips to Eastern and the cats. Go Griz!

Of course. But you’ll notice just as Martin begins his cut to the hoop, Parker bounces it and moves one step right. Then has he sees Martin, he’s got a Weber playing great D in his face and the passing lane. Pretty athletic to get it around him as quickly and easily as he did actually.

I have not watched the game yet, but there are a couple other things/ areas that Travis will want the team to improve immediately.
WSU outrebounded Montana 33-26, including 12-5 on the offensive glass, and won the turnover battle 15-10.

EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Of course. But you’ll notice just as Martin begins his cut to the hoop, Parker bounces it and moves one step right. Then has he sees Martin, he’s got a Weber playing great D in his face and the passing lane. Pretty athletic to get it around him as quickly and easily as he did actually.

Congratulations on the win. Your guys played the best I have seen them play all year. Your D was the key to that win, but your guys made two or three incredible shots down the stretch. Not high percentage shots but they went in anyway.

Keep up the good work and we will see you guys in a few weeks. :thumb:

oldrunner said:
Congratulations on the win. Your guys played the best I have seen them play all year. Your D was the key to that win, but your guys made two or three incredible shots down the stretch. Not high percentage shots but they went in anyway.

It's not often you get to see TWO circus shots to end each half by one team. Carter-H's 3 pointer was a highlight as was the last winning shot! Great game, EWU should be another good game on Thursday.

oldrunner said:

It was a fun game! Weber is a solid club... McEwen is a great player. I still see them as the favorite to win the conference. A few other teams have a shot..including the Griz.

GrizLA said:
oldrunner said:

It's not often you get to see TWO circus shots to end each half by one team. Carter-H's 3 pointer was a highlight as was the last winning shot! Great game, EWU should be another good game on Thursday.

In fact, it’s so rare it didn’t happen in this game. :lol:

Weebs missed a last second shot to end the half. DJCH’s shot beat the shot clock in the second half.

EverettGriz said:
GrizLA said:

In fact, it’s so rare it didn’t happen in this game. :lol:

Weebs missed a last second shot to end the half. DJCH’s shot beat the shot clock in the second half.
You're probably right but that doesn't take away a great shot by Carter-H.

I think DeCuire made two very underrated moves the last couple of games:

1. Replacing Martin with DCH in the starting line-up. Martin had been been struggling as a starter, but seemed to play very well off the bench. I think "THE SHOT" will also give him an increased amount of confidence.

2. Moving Whitney off the ball. This makes a ton of sense as Whitney always guards the other team's best perimeter player, so why add on top of that the extra wear and tear of bringing the ball up the court, when you have a true PG in Parker and Beasley who can get the offense started? They picked their spots with Whitney as he had a couple of nice drives playing on the ball towards the end. If Whitney can get comfortable playing some off the ball and still score, this brings another dimension as you can save Whitney some mileage and still get really good offensive production out of him. I felt he sort of wore down towards the end of last season, but it also could have been the freshman wall. Not his fault though, he had a heavy burden to carry last year.

GrizBall said:
I think DeCuire made two very underrated moves the last couple of games:

1. Replacing Martin with DCH in the starting line-up. Martin had been been struggling as a starter, but seemed to play very well off the bench. I think "THE SHOT" will also give him an increased amount of confidence.

2. Moving Whitney off the ball. This makes a ton of sense as Whitney always guards the other team's best perimeter player, so why add on top of that the extra wear and tear of bringing the ball up the court, when you have a true PG in Parker and Beasley who can get the offense started? They picked their spots with Whitney as he had a couple of nice drives playing on the ball towards the end. If Whitney can get comfortable playing some off the ball and still score, this brings another dimension as you can save Whitney some mileage and still get really good offensive production out of him. I felt he sort of wore down towards the end of last season, but it also could have been the freshman wall. Not his fault though, he had a heavy burden to carry last year.

Also added more high post sets. They don't run the set often. They seem efficient out of it though. I'm sure, that's a set we'll add to as the season progresses.

Back