• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weber State at Montana!

mtgrizrule said:
GrizBall said:
I think DeCuire made two very underrated moves the last couple of games:

1. Replacing Martin with DCH in the starting line-up. Martin had been been struggling as a starter, but seemed to play very well off the bench. I think "THE SHOT" will also give him an increased amount of confidence.

2. Moving Whitney off the ball. This makes a ton of sense as Whitney always guards the other team's best perimeter player, so why add on top of that the extra wear and tear of bringing the ball up the court, when you have a true PG in Parker and Beasley who can get the offense started? They picked their spots with Whitney as he had a couple of nice drives playing on the ball towards the end. If Whitney can get comfortable playing some off the ball and still score, this brings another dimension as you can save Whitney some mileage and still get really good offensive production out of him. I felt he sort of wore down towards the end of last season, but it also could have been the freshman wall. Not his fault though, he had a heavy burden to carry last year.

Also added more high post sets. They don't run the set often. They seem efficient out of it though. I'm sure, that's a set we'll add to as the season progresses.

Excellent dual analysis. :clap: Your comments seem to me to precisely reflect on a rather lengthy "profile" of this year's Griz squad by coach DeCuire in post-win comments to Riley Corcoran. DeCuire said he had lengthy consults with every player upon their return to Missoula from holiday break in which 4-5 newer/younger players were asked a two-fold question: 1-- "Why did you come to Montana?" and 2. (I'm paraphrasing this question quite a bit.. hopefully accurate) "What would you like to see for yourself and the team from here through the remainder of the season?" Coach said the discussions were conducted knowing "some changes were going to be made."
We fans may have seen a partial answer to a couple of on-floor changes in rotation as a result. With the exception of Josh Vazquez (for whom I hope to see on-court situations improve!) it seemed the kids were really supportive of each other on and off floor vs Weber St.

Back