• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Where does UM need to recruit for???

#1 DT’s:there are currently six on the roster but three of those are Sr’s.

#2 CB’s:five on the roster but on the plus side, they’re all So’s or younger.

All the rest of the positions just need added depth.

Here’s a post I was working on but I’ll add it to yours.

Position strength/depth

Now that most of our Fr class of '18 has committed and signed, we can begin to take a look at what our position groups might look like and what our strengths and weaknesses might be. I rated each groups starting strength, starting experience, experienced depth, depth strength, and group potential on a scale of 0-10. I also have an overall score for each position based loosely on the other scores.

QB overall 8/10
#1 2 Gresch Jenson RSo
#2A ? Dalton Sneed RJr
#2B 12 Caleb Hill Sr
Depth
13 Tanner Wilson RFr
? Garrett Graves Fr
Starting Strength 8
Starting Experience 6
Experienced Depth 6
Depth Strength 4
Group Potential 9
Gresch was the clear starter, most likely through the 2020 season until Sneed transferred in. Now things will get interesting. Both are very talented and give Bobby a tuff choice of who the starter will be. Caleb will be a better back up under Hauck/Rosenbach then in Stitt's system but he has yet to prove it on the field. Wilson may end up being a career clip board holder and Graves has already received recognition from the new coach as a possible starter in two years.

RB overall 8/10
#1 8 Jeremy Calhoun Sr
#1A 24 Alijah Lee RSr
Depth
4 Rey Green RSo
27 Cody McCombs RJr
20 Terron Moses RFr
? Drew Turner Fr
Starting Strength 9
Starting Experience 9
Experienced Depth 1
Depth Strength 6
Group Potential 8
Calhoun and Lee are known commodities but below them is only untapped potential. Sure McCombs has been in on some garbage time but the rest have never seen the field. Now they all come in with pretty good credentials but that doesn't always transfer over to success.

FB overall 5/10
#1 ? Levi Janacaro Fr
#2 unknown
Starting Strength 5
Starting Experience 1
Experienced Depth 0
Depth Strength 0
Group Potential 8
Assuming more traditional formations will be utilized under the new staff, it's time to bring in some FB's. We may see a bulkier McCombs or a younger LB step in here but as of now the starting job belongs to a man still in high school. He seems like a real good fit though and could be very successful here.

WR overall 8/10
#1 6 Keenan Curran Sr
#1 82 Samari Toure RSo
#1 16 Jerry Louie-McGee RJr
#2 18 Samuel Akeem RSo
#2 3 Justin Calhoun RJr
#2 ? Gabe Sulser Fr
Depth
9 Brennan Corbin RSo
5 Kobey Eaton RJr
21 Lamarriel Taylor RJr
81 Mitch McLaughlin Sr
83 Mitch Roberts RFr
19 Malik Flowers RFr
30 Nick Fouch RFr
? Nick Germer Fr
26 Jared Thurber RFr
85 Danny Burton RFr
Starting Strength 8
Starting Experience 9
Experienced Depth 8
Depth Strength 7
Group Potential 9
Expecting this list to shrink a little with possible position changes and players maybe seeing a better opportunity on another team. After already moving four players to potentially play TE, that still leaves 16 here next now. There's a lot of experience in this group though through the 3rd string. With Curran eyeing some potential records, this group may be the deepest and strongest group on the team.

TE overall 7/10
#1 88 Colin Bingham RJr
#2 84 Jed Negler RSo
Depth
87 Bryson Deming RFr
7 Matthew Rensvold RFr
? Max Morris Fr
? Colten Curry Fr /DE
Starting Strength 9
Starting Experience 7
Experienced Depth 5
Depth Strength 6
Group Potential 8
Bingham may benefit more then any other Griz with the coaching change. He will now get to play his style of football and show his true worth. All of these guys minus the two frosh, are just my speculation that they will change to TE but for playing time purposes, it just makes sense.

OL overall 6.5/10
#1's
C 50 Cody Meyer RJr 6'3" 293
G 74 Angel Villanueva RJr 6'5" 324
G 67 Thayne Jackson RSo 6'5" 296
T 73 Brandon Scott RSo 6'7" 295
T 78 Conlan Beaver RSo 6'5" 293
#2's
C 77 Dallas Hart RJr 6'5" 315
G 62 Dylan Eichmeyer RSo 6'4" 292
G 71 Payton Stoner RFr 6'6" 282
T 66 Ashton Torres RSo 6'4" 292
T 60 Colton Keintz RFr 6'8" 275
Depth
70 Skyler Martin RFr 6'5" 255
? Tyler Ganoung Fr 6'5” 300 G
? Sean Anderson Fr 6'7" 290 T/G
? Conner Quick Fr 6’2” 280 C
Starting Strength 7
Starting Experience 5
Experienced Depth 3
Depth Strength 5
Group Potential 8
With no Sr's and only one returning starter, this will be one of the least experienced groups on the field and the most vital to our success. With a bunch of highly touted recruits, this groups potential is sky high, but they have to prove it.

DT overall 7/10
#1 49 Jessie Simms RJr
#1 96 David Shaw Sr
#2 99 Reggie Tillman RSr
#2 55 Kyle Davis RSr
Depth
98 Esai Longoria RSo
? Eli Alford Fr
Starting Strength 9
Starting Experience 8
Experienced Depth 6
Depth Strength 6
Group Potential 7
This group has two real solid starters and a little bit of experienced depth. The real concern is next year after three of the six graduate.

DE overall 7/10
#1 43 Chris Favoroso RJr
#1 44 Randy Rodriguez RSo
#2 40 Cy Sirmon RJr
#2 94 Devin Maua RSo
Depth
90 MaKenzie Holt RFr
47 Cole Rosling RSo
93 Braydon Deming RFr
97 RJ Nelson RFr
? Lorenzo Brown Fr
Starting Strength 7
Starting Experience 6
Experienced Depth 4
Depth Strength 6
Group Potential 8
With some hungry young talent ready to step up, this group has little experience with a lot of potential. Both starters have shown why they were highly recruited but below them are a bunch of unknowns. I'm assuming MaKenzie Holt will end up here which bolsters our depth.

LB overall 8/10
#1 42 Josh Buss RSr
#1 45 Vika Fa'atuiese RJr
#1 33 Dante Olsen RJr
#2 54 Gage Smith RSr
#2 57 Shane Cochran RSr
#2 34 Jace Lewis RSo
Depth
31 Trace Le Texier RSo
95 Andrew Harris RJr
53 Carder Key RFr
52 Michael Matthews RFr
56 Marcus Welnel RFr
Starting Strength 9
Starting Experience 7
Experienced Depth 7
Depth Strength 7
Group Potential 8
The strongest and deepest position on the defense, this group should lead the charge. Buss is the only returning true starter but the next five still have a lot of good experience. With a couple young guys who look pretty strong, this group will continue to be a force.

CB overall 6/10
#1 7 Dereon Nash RSo
#1 8 Lewis Cowans RSo
#2 23 Josh Egbo RSo
#2 20 Gavin Crow RSo
Depth
41 Curtis Holmes RFr
Starting Strength 6
Starting Experience 5
Experienced Depth 3
Depth Strength 5
Group Potential 8
The main thing this group is lacking is experience. It's a very young group with a lot of potential.

S overall 7/10
#1 13 Josh Sandry RJr
#1 30 Evan Epperly RSr
#2 ? Robby Hauck RFr
#2 28 Josh Deshner RFr
Depth
14 Michael McGinnis RFr
? Nash Fouch Fr
? Jackson Pepe Fr
Starting Strength 8
Starting Experience 7
Experienced Depth 1
Depth Strength 5
Group Potential 8
Another group with starting experience but very little experience after that. Some good potential in some good players but they have yet to prove it.

Special Teams overall 8/10
K 39 Brandon Purdy RJr
P 35 Erik Williams Sr
KR 82 Samari Toure RSo
KR 16 Jerry Louie-McGee RJr
PR 16 Jerry Louie-McGee RJr
LS 38 Caleb Mitchell RSo
LS 61 Matthew O'Donoghue RSo
Individually the kicking game improved leaps and bounds from the year past. The athletes have been there in the return game but the schemes were lacking. Should see an improvement there too this year.

BozAngelesGriz said:
argh! said:
swagger. players that know they are going to win. don't back down to anybody. montana tough. dominance. lunch pail guys with good motors. thick, straight-ahead guys. with swagger.

guys that will run the ball down their throats, play a full 60 minutes, give 110 percent every play, who take care of the football, leave it all on the field and are deceptively quick.

Drew Turner fits that description perfectly.

HowardRoss280 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
argh! said:
swagger. players that know they are going to win. don't back down to anybody. montana tough. dominance. lunch pail guys with good motors. thick, straight-ahead guys. with swagger.

guys that will run the ball down their throats, play a full 60 minutes, give 110 percent every play, who take care of the football, leave it all on the field and are deceptively quick.

Drew Turner fits that description perfectly.

Don’t forget they gotta never say die, have the eye of the tiger, give all their heart, and gotta have the want and desire. Did we say give 110%? That’s important too. Oh, and they gotta be able to tie their own shoes. I hate it when the coach or ref has to tie the kids shoes for em.

CrunchGriz said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
argh! said:

...and can kick and are good in space.

good points. looks like we all agree, we need the kind of guys who won't even consider wearing sleeves in sub-zero weather. swagger.

argh! said:
CrunchGriz said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
argh! said:

good points. looks like we all agree, we need the kind of guys who won't even consider wearing sleeves in sub-zero weather. swagger.

Swagger is a synonym for frostbite. Look it up.

CrunchGriz said:
argh! said:
CrunchGriz said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

Swagger is a synonym for frostbite. Look it up.

Ha! Like the boys from Butte who came out for warm ups without their shirts on for the playoff game that was 11degrees below.....classic.

OT is the glaring need that jumps out at me. Many of our OL depth seems to be more of interior guys. Could use a transfer even.

Flowers seems like a good candidate to move to CB. Could easily see Holt and maybe Deming move to TE.

I don't see Sneed beating Jensen out. Guys always look much better on highlight films and the jump from JUCO isn't an easy one. Brings much needed depth to that position though.

As far as rounding out the class, would be good to see us nap another OL and then focus on the defensive side of the ball.

alabamagrizzly said:
Here’s a post I was working on but I’ll add it to yours.

Position strength/depth

Now that most of our Fr class of '18 has committed and signed, we can begin to take a look at what our position groups might look like and what our strengths and weaknesses might be. I rated each groups starting strength, starting experience, experienced depth, depth strength, and group potential on a scale of 0-10. I also have an overall score for each position based loosely on the other scores.

QB overall 8/10
#1 2 Gresch Jenson RSo
#2A ? Dalton Sneed RJr
#2B 12 Caleb Hill Sr
Depth
13 Tanner Wilson RFr
? Garrett Graves Fr
Starting Strength 8
Starting Experience 6
Experienced Depth 6
Depth Strength 4
Group Potential 9
Gresch was the clear starter, most likely through the 2020 season until Sneed transferred in. Now things will get interesting. Both are very talented and give Bobby a tuff choice of who the starter will be. Caleb will be a better back up under Hauck/Rosenbach then in Stitt's system but he has yet to prove it on the field. Wilson may end up being a career clip board holder and Graves has already received recognition from the new coach as a possible starter in two years.

RB overall 8/10
#1 8 Jeremy Calhoun Sr
#1A 24 Alijah Lee RSr
Depth
4 Rey Green RSo
27 Cody McCombs RJr
20 Terron Moses RFr
? Drew Turner Fr
Starting Strength 9
Starting Experience 9
Experienced Depth 1
Depth Strength 6
Group Potential 8
Calhoun and Lee are known commodities but below them is only untapped potential. Sure McCombs has been in on some garbage time but the rest have never seen the field. Now they all come in with pretty good credentials but that doesn't always transfer over to success.

FB overall 5/10
#1 ? Levi Janacaro Fr
#2 unknown
Starting Strength 5
Starting Experience 1
Experienced Depth 0
Depth Strength 0
Group Potential 8
Assuming more traditional formations will be utilized under the new staff, it's time to bring in some FB's. We may see a bulkier McCombs or a younger LB step in here but as of now the starting job belongs to a man still in high school. He seems like a real good fit though and could be very successful here.

WR overall 8/10
#1 6 Keenan Curran Sr
#1 82 Samari Toure RSo
#1 16 Jerry Louie-McGee RJr
#2 18 Samuel Akeem RSo
#2 3 Justin Calhoun RJr
#2 ? Gabe Sulser Fr
Depth
9 Brennan Corbin RSo
5 Kobey Eaton RJr
21 Lamarriel Taylor RJr
81 Mitch McLaughlin Sr
83 Mitch Roberts RFr
19 Malik Flowers RFr
30 Nick Fouch RFr
? Nick Germer Fr
26 Jared Thurber RFr
85 Danny Burton RFr
Starting Strength 8
Starting Experience 9
Experienced Depth 8
Depth Strength 7
Group Potential 9
Expecting this list to shrink a little with possible position changes and players maybe seeing a better opportunity on another team. After already moving four players to potentially play TE, that still leaves 16 here next now. There's a lot of experience in this group though through the 3rd string. With Curran eyeing some potential records, this group may be the deepest and strongest group on the team.

TE overall 7/10
#1 88 Colin Bingham RJr
#2 84 Jed Negler RSo
Depth
87 Bryson Deming RFr
7 Matthew Rensvold RFr
? Max Morris Fr
? Colten Curry Fr /DE
Starting Strength 9
Starting Experience 7
Experienced Depth 5
Depth Strength 6
Group Potential 8
Bingham may benefit more then any other Griz with the coaching change. He will now get to play his style of football and show his true worth. All of these guys minus the two frosh, are just my speculation that they will change to TE but for playing time purposes, it just makes sense.

OL overall 6.5/10
#1's
C 50 Cody Meyer RJr 6'3" 293
G 74 Angel Villanueva RJr 6'5" 324
G 67 Thayne Jackson RSo 6'5" 296
T 73 Brandon Scott RSo 6'7" 295
T 78 Conlan Beaver RSo 6'5" 293
#2's
C 77 Dallas Hart RJr 6'5" 315
G 62 Dylan Eichmeyer RSo 6'4" 292
G 71 Payton Stoner RFr 6'6" 282
T 66 Ashton Torres RSo 6'4" 292
T 60 Colton Keintz RFr 6'8" 275
Depth
70 Skyler Martin RFr 6'5" 255
? Tyler Ganoung Fr 6'5” 300 G
? Sean Anderson Fr 6'7" 290 T/G
? Conner Quick Fr 6’2” 280 C
Starting Strength 7
Starting Experience 5
Experienced Depth 3
Depth Strength 5
Group Potential 8
With no Sr's and only one returning starter, this will be one of the least experienced groups on the field and the most vital to our success. With a bunch of highly touted recruits, this groups potential is sky high, but they have to prove it.

DT overall 7/10
#1 49 Jessie Simms RJr
#1 96 David Shaw Sr
#2 99 Reggie Tillman RSr
#2 55 Kyle Davis RSr
Depth
98 Esai Longoria RSo
? Eli Alford Fr
Starting Strength 9
Starting Experience 8
Experienced Depth 6
Depth Strength 6
Group Potential 7
This group has two real solid starters and a little bit of experienced depth. The real concern is next year after three of the six graduate.

DE overall 7/10
#1 43 Chris Favoroso RJr
#1 44 Randy Rodriguez RSo
#2 40 Cy Sirmon RJr
#2 94 Devin Maua RSo
Depth
90 MaKenzie Holt RFr
47 Cole Rosling RSo
93 Braydon Deming RFr
97 RJ Nelson RFr
? Lorenzo Brown Fr
Starting Strength 7
Starting Experience 6
Experienced Depth 4
Depth Strength 6
Group Potential 8
With some hungry young talent ready to step up, this group has little experience with a lot of potential. Both starters have shown why they were highly recruited but below them are a bunch of unknowns. I'm assuming MaKenzie Holt will end up here which bolsters our depth.

LB overall 8/10
#1 42 Josh Buss RSr
#1 45 Vika Fa'atuiese RJr
#1 33 Dante Olsen RJr
#2 54 Gage Smith RSr
#2 57 Shane Cochran RSr
#2 34 Jace Lewis RSo
Depth
31 Trace Le Texier RSo
95 Andrew Harris RJr
53 Carder Key RFr
52 Michael Matthews RFr
56 Marcus Welnel RFr
Starting Strength 9
Starting Experience 7
Experienced Depth 7
Depth Strength 7
Group Potential 8
The strongest and deepest position on the defense, this group should lead the charge. Buss is the only returning true starter but the next five still have a lot of good experience. With a couple young guys who look pretty strong, this group will continue to be a force.

CB overall 6/10
#1 7 Dereon Nash RSo
#1 8 Lewis Cowans RSo
#2 23 Josh Egbo RSo
#2 20 Gavin Crow RSo
Depth
41 Curtis Holmes RFr
Starting Strength 6
Starting Experience 5
Experienced Depth 3
Depth Strength 5
Group Potential 8
The main thing this group is lacking is experience. It's a very young group with a lot of potential.

S overall 7/10
#1 13 Josh Sandry RJr
#1 30 Evan Epperly RSr
#2 ? Robby Hauck RFr
#2 28 Josh Deshner RFr
Depth
14 Michael McGinnis RFr
? Nash Fouch Fr
? Jackson Pepe Fr
Starting Strength 8
Starting Experience 7
Experienced Depth 1
Depth Strength 5
Group Potential 8
Another group with starting experience but very little experience after that. Some good potential in some good players but they have yet to prove it.

Special Teams overall 8/10
K 39 Brandon Purdy RJr
P 35 Erik Williams Sr
KR 82 Samari Toure RSo
KR 16 Jerry Louie-McGee RJr
PR 16 Jerry Louie-McGee RJr
LS 38 Caleb Mitchell RSo
LS 61 Matthew O'Donoghue RSo
Individually the kicking game improved leaps and bounds from the year past. The athletes have been there in the return game but the schemes were lacking. Should see an improvement there too this year.

Thanks, you put some time into this. Good read.

This thread title had my mind in a pretzel, but I get it now, and thank all for their analysis.

I believe you missed incoming Koppang out of Loyola. He is coming in as a safety and made the super state team for defensive backs.

CDAGRIZ said:
This thread title had my mind in a pretzel, but I get it now, and thank all for their analysis.

your mind was like that because you got a small brain. not your fault. don't worry, though, we can make it bigger, 'cause egriz like... there

argh! said:
CDAGRIZ said:

your mind was like that because you got a small brain. not your fault. don't worry, though, we can make it bigger, 'cause egriz like... there

solid work right there argh, im still :lol: ......merry Christmas to all.

argh! said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Where do I need to gots bigger for?

bgbigdog said:
What does UM need to recruit for? In a word - Speed.

Watch UNDSU & UJMU @ the National Championship game. Their defenses & special teams cover/close quickly & only some of that is coaching.

You said it, SPEED :!: :!: :!:

Speed on JMU and NDSU is incredible, and jumps off the page, especially at RB. There are far superior, and hence in the National Championship.

I have been screaming for more speed at UM for as long as I can remember...

BWahlberg said:
\
I was told by a coach that the younger LB's (I think especially Matthews) could actually challenge for starting spots, they're that good.

I whole-heart-idly agree on Mathews. I remember praising his highlight video during his recruitment. Stud.

I think that LB is in pretty good shape. I’m betting we sign one or two in this class, but we loaded up with talent last year with Key, Matthews, and Welnel.

Offensive line is going to be critical every year. We need a stable of big athletes that can be plugged in any week and make holes and pass-protect.

Secondary is obvious. We are thin in depth. We need guys that play fast.

TE....I’m glad we got Morris. I think Bingham and Rensvold will be good ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam A. Blitz said:
OT is the glaring need that jumps out at me. Many of our OL depth seems to be more of interior guys. Could use a transfer even.

Flowers seems like a good candidate to move to CB. Could easily see Holt and maybe Deming move to TE.

I don't see Sneed beating Jensen out. Guys always look much better on highlight films and the jump from JUCO isn't an easy one. Brings much needed depth to that position though.

As far as rounding out the class, would be good to see us nap another OL and then focus on the defensive side of the ball.

Good catch, Sam A, Blitz! I was going to make a whole post about him but I'll just put it here. I don't care where Flowers plays in 2018...O...D...ST, he JUST NEEDS TO PLAY. He is on the of the best pure athletes on the team. He's officially on my ALL-STAR ALERT :!:

4-time 110-meter Hurdles CBL Champion (faster than Akem)

Junior Year -- lots of views, almost 2,500: https://www.hudl.com/profile/3977431/malik-flowers

Senior Year -- incredible catch at 1:30: https://www.hudl.com/profile/8824469/malik-flowers

Get this kid making plays on the field!

IntuitiveGriz said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

Good catch, Sam A, Blitz! I was going to make a whole post about him but I'll just put it here. I don't care where Flowers plays in 2018...O...D...ST, he JUST NEEDS TO PLAY. He is on the of the best pure athletes on the team. He's officially on my ALL-STAR ALERT :!:

4-time 110-meter Hurdles CBL Champion (faster than Akem)

Junior Year -- lots of views, almost 2,500: https://www.hudl.com/profile/3977431/malik-flowers

Senior Year -- incredible catch at 1:30: https://www.hudl.com/profile/8824469/malik-flowers

Get this kid making plays on the field!

Malik Flowers would make for a fun to watch Wildcat QB

Back