• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Vaccine Passports Creep into Stadiums and Sports?

Buttegrizzle said:
ilovethecats said:
Because the current vaccines were fast tracked in less than a year when most take several years? Because it’s not FDA approved like all vaccines required for education? Because one of them was just halted because of the adverse effects?

All that said, I’m getting mine Monday. Wife signed us up. I figure the “science” so far says my chance of of any adverse effects of the vaccine are about .004%. I’d be an idiot to worry about the vaccine. Similar to my chances of dying from Covid. Ironic.

6.8 million doses of J&J administered. Six blood clot cases. At the current death rate per million of Covid, out of 6.8 million people, assuming all eventually got covid, at our present death rate of 1.8% that’s 122,000 dead. Yep I’ll take that vaccine every damn time. Oh. And in 1955 when the polio vaccine was rushed to market about 3 per million got vaccine-associated paralytic poliomyelitis. It was a good call to get vaccinated then too. So I’m sorry if “Science” and “numbers” aren’t a strength for cat fans but those are the facts.

What numbers aren't a strength? My chance of dying from Covid are almost zero. My chances of dying from the vaccine are almost zero. Seem similar to me.

Doesn't change the fact that is was a fast-tracked vaccine that is not yet FDA approved. For that reason alone I understand why people are hesitant. Personally, I couldn't care less. If I need to get a vaccine for a virus with almost a 99% survival rate to make others feel safe and get back to living so be it. I'll get sticked on Monday.

ilovethecats said:
Buttegrizzle said:
6.8 million doses of J&J administered. Six blood clot cases. At the current death rate per million of Covid, out of 6.8 million people, assuming all eventually got covid, at our present death rate of 1.8% that’s 122,000 dead. Yep I’ll take that vaccine every damn time. Oh. And in 1955 when the polio vaccine was rushed to market about 3 per million got vaccine-associated paralytic poliomyelitis. It was a good call to get vaccinated then too. So I’m sorry if “Science” and “numbers” aren’t a strength for cat fans but those are the facts.

What numbers aren't a strength? My chance of dying from Covid are almost zero. My chances of dying from the vaccine are almost zero. Seem similar to me.

Doesn't change the fact that is was a fast-tracked vaccine that is not yet FDA approved. For that reason alone I understand why people are hesitant. Personally, I couldn't care less. If I need to get a vaccine for a virus with almost a 99% survival rate to make others feel safe and get back to living so be it. I'll get sticked on Monday.

If I need to get a vaccine to make others feel safe and get back to living, they have problems that I can't help them with!

MikeyGriz said:
If I need to get a vaccine to make others feel safe and get back to living, they have problems that I can't help them with!

:thumb: Individual responsibility is a concept that some will never be able to grasp.

MikeyGriz said:
ilovethecats said:

Preaching to the choir on this one man. But we've been doing just that for over a year so I don't see it stopping any time soon.

My point was I'm impartial to the vaccine, but if I do it and it gets us that millimeter closer to whatever magic number we need to live again, give me the needle. ;)

MikeyGriz said:

What if you could help them by getting the vaccine and making them feel more safe? Is this a case of can't or won't?

tourist said:
:thumb: Individual responsibility is a concept that some will never be able to grasp.

What if I feel that my individual responsibility is to help the majority feel safe?

HelenaHandBasket said:
tourist said:
Go for it. Your 'individual' decision to make.

So your 'individual" decision is to not make others feel safe?

Where would you draw the line on this mindset? I could think of a 1000 things any one of us could do every day to make others feel safe. Or does this mentality only apply to this virus?

I really don't care whether others feel safe or not. What you, or others, do to assuage their innate impulses is not my concern.
Get the vaccine, broadcast this earth shaking news to the world, full page ads in the Independent Record, Missoulian, Gazette, New York Times, Twitter, Facebook, and eGriz, all featuring your picture. Everyone see this and can 'oooh' and 'awwwwwh' and whisper to each other, "that's the good guy, he makes me feel safe!"
Maybe Job Service could find you a job working at a leper colony somewhere. You could be a modern day Mother Teresa, with Sainthood on your horizon. Think of it, 'Saint HelenaHandBasket!' :thumb:
Or, admit that individual responsibility is what it is. :cool:

tourist said:
I really don't care whether others feel safe or not. What you, or others, do to assuage their innate impulses is not my concern.
Get the vaccine, broadcast this earth shaking news to the world, full page ads in the Independent Record, Missoulian, Gazette, New York Times, Twitter, Facebook, and eGriz, all featuring your picture. Everyone see this and can 'oooh' and 'awwwwwh' and whisper to each other, "that's the good guy, he makes me feel safe!"
Maybe Job Service could find you a job working at a leper colony somewhere. You could be a modern day Mother Teresa, with Sainthood on your horizon. Think of it, 'Saint HelenaHandBasket!' :thumb:
Or, admit that individual responsibility is what it is. :cool:

I seem to have struck a nerve.

ilovethecats said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Where would you draw the line on this mindset? I could think of a 1000 things any one of us could do every day to make others feel safe. Or does this mentality only apply to this virus?

Just playing a little devil's advocate, and well, we are just talking about the virus in this thread.

HelenaHandBasket said:
MikeyGriz said:

What if you could help them by getting the vaccine and making them feel more safe? Is this a case of can't or won't?

tourist said:

What if I feel that my individual responsibility is to help the majority feel safe?

Neither. My point is if it takes me getting a vaccine to make them feel more safe, there are bigger problems out there that I can't help them with.

"Blood Clots More Likely After Covid-19 Than After Vaccination, Study Finds

Review by Oxford shows risk of rare, serious blood clotting is eight to 10 times greater in people who caught the coronavirus than among people who received any of the first three Western-developed vaccines"

'The study, involving vaccinations from Pfizer Inc. PFE 1.99% and BioNTech SE, BNTX 6.16% another from Moderna Inc. MRNA 5.82% and one from AstraZeneca AZN 0.01% PLC, adds to competing evidence related to blood clotting that regulators and governments may need to take into account as they weigh continued deployment of vaccines.

The scientists behind the Oxford study are different from the Oxford scientists who developed the vaccine in partnership with AstraZeneca, the study researchers said Thursday. The study, which hasn’t been peer reviewed, said it showed the clotting-related risks from getting sick with Covid-19 are much greater than any clotting risks presented following administration of the three Western-developed Covid-19 vaccines that are already in wide circulation, and should help assuage vaccine hesitancy broadly."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/serious-blood-clots-are-more-likely-in-covid-19-sufferers-than-in-those-who-got-vaccine-study-finds-11618510158?page=1

Vaccines have been highly effective so far.

"CDC reports 5,800 Covid infections in fully vaccinated people

About 5,800 people out of tens of millions who have been vaccinated against coronavirus have become infected anyway, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tells CNN."

"Some became seriously ill and 74 people died, the CDC said. It said 396 -- 7% -- of those who got infected after they were vaccinated required hospitalization.

"So far, about 5,800 breakthrough cases have been reported to CDC. To date, no unexpected patterns have been identified in case demographics or vaccine characteristics," the CDC told CNN via email.

About 77 million people in the US are fully vaccinated against coronavirus, according to a CNN analysis of CDC data. [And many more have had 1 shot.]

The CDC's reports on breakthrough cases will lag day-to-day reports of vaccines given, so many, if not most, of those breakthrough cases will have happened weeks ago.
Nonetheless, the total represents a very small percentage of those who have been vaccinated.
Breakthrough cases are expected. The vaccines are not 100% effective in preventing infections and as tens of millions of people are vaccinated, more and more such cases will be reported.

Pfizer/BioNTech's vaccine was 95% effective in preventing symptomatic disease in clinical trials, and earlier this month the companies said real-life data in the US shows the vaccine is more than 91% effective against disease with any symptoms for six months. Moderna's vaccine was 94% effective in preventing symptomatic illness in trials, and 90% effective in real life use. Johnson & Johnson's vaccine was 66% overall globally in trials, and 72% effective at preventing disease in the US."

Read in CNN: https://apple.news/ACyR9lzsRQ6SWhQ83iQUktw

PlayerRep said:

Review by Oxford shows risk of rare, serious blood clotting is eight to 10 times greater in people who caught the coronavirus than among people who received any of the first three Western-developed vaccines"

'The study, involving vaccinations from Pfizer Inc. PFE 1.99% and BioNTech SE, BNTX 6.16% another from Moderna Inc. MRNA 5.82% and one from AstraZeneca AZN 0.01% PLC, adds to competing evidence related to blood clotting that regulators and governments may need to take into account as they weigh continued deployment of vaccines.

The scientists behind the Oxford study are different from the Oxford scientists who developed the vaccine in partnership with AstraZeneca, the study researchers said Thursday. The study, which hasn’t been peer reviewed, said it showed the clotting-related risks from getting sick with Covid-19 are much greater than any clotting risks presented following administration of the three Western-developed Covid-19 vaccines that are already in wide circulation, and should help assuage vaccine hesitancy broadly."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/serious-blood-clots-are-more-likely-in-covid-19-sufferers-than-in-those-who-got-vaccine-study-finds-11618510158?page=1

What do we suppose this means for those that had the virus AND got the vaccine?

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

What do we suppose this means for those that had the virus AND got the vaccine?

You have no chance of dying from one of these blood clots.

MikeyGriz said:
ilovethecats said:

Oh, but you can!
You meant “won’t”.

ilovethecats said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I point this out to all who conveniently forget about the H1N1 pandemic back in 2009. My wife was immunocompromised due to chemo, and I had two children under the age of two at home. 55 million infected. Many more than COVID.

I don't remember anyone giving two shits back then about their "duty" in helping my wife out. Of course we socially distanced and I was the sole point of contact for my family to limit her exposure, but that was our choice.

But it brings up your question. Where are we going to draw the line?

DuCharme said:
MikeyGriz said:

Oh, but you can!
You meant “won’t”.

No, I mean can't because even if I assuage their fears this time, there will be something else that "I" need to do to make them feel safe again. This is a never ending cycle that cannot be completely soothed by someone else. Take personal responsibility for your own well-being.

Back