• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Your Sports Credentials?

I was first team all city for three years at a perennial Class C powerhouse school. Some teammates describe my FB career as the best “running” QB we had in years. It took some time to realize they were politely saying I couldn’t pass.

Played football until Sophomore year of HS so I played 6 years. Played QB. Lifelong football fan. Ironically I learned the most about the offensive and defensive strategies the from playing Madden/NCAA Football. Oh and I've been to well over a 100 Griz games in person, probably much more. I have a great understanding of football, but that doesn't mean I don't get things wrong sometimes.

I have little in the way of credentials, but eGriz is a great playground for us wannabe fans, who can act out as though we have them.

My love growing up was baseball. I had a photographic memory of the backside of every 50's baseball card. I got to hit against Dave McNally once (I was 14 playing Legion ball) and it changed my life. His curveball, didn't curve, it disappeared. No chance. I realized right there that my visual handicap was better suited for the OL; I didn't have to read the ball spin, I could find a big DT and knock him down. Better than most. Captained a class B powerhouse which led to a full ride at Montana, where the program at the time was so poorly coached that I eventually became a focused scientist. Another change in life. The University treated me so well academically that it was easy for me to become a huge Griz fan when the real program emerged. First golf round ever on the University course. Watching four years of Frank Kush ASU football in grad school was an enlightenment of what college football could be. Speed, speed, speed. Win, win, win. Everyone there ran like Malik.

I remain a loyal MLB and college football fan. Yankees, Grizzlies, Sun Devils. I'm a student of the former to the edge of being credentialed.

I was born young. Didn’t really get into sports until I could walk. Then, I played them. If I would’ve just had a lot more talent at any one of the sports, I could’ve gone pro. Live and learn.

kemajic said:
I have little in the way of credentials, but eGriz is a great playground for us wannabe fans, who can act out as though we have them.

My love growing up was baseball. I had a photographic memory of the backside of every 50's baseball card. I got to hit against Dave McNally once (I was 14 playing Legion ball) and it changed my life. His curveball, didn't curve, it disappeared. No chance. I realized right there that my visual handicap was better suited for the OL; I didn't have to read the ball spin, I could find a big DT and knock him down. Better than most. Captained a class B powerhouse which led to a full ride at Montana, where the program at the time was so poorly coached that I eventually became a focused scientist. Another change in life. The University treated me so well academically that it was easy for me to become a huge Griz fan when the real program emerged. First golf round ever on the University course. Watching four years of Frank Kush ASU football in grad school was an enlightenment of what college football could be. Speed, speed, speed. Win, win, win. Everyone there ran like Malik.

I remain a loyal MLB and college football fan. Yankees, Grizzlies, Sun Devils. I'm a student of the former to the edge of being credentialed.

And was Tom Hauck your coach in college, or something like that?

kemajic said:

Playing vs Dave McNally...awesome!

mthoopsfan said:
kemajic said:

And was Tom Hauck your coach in college, or something like that?
Tom was a grad assistant frosh coach who worked relentlessly to convert this visually challenged DE to a LB. Win some lose some. Had the speed and range, not the eyesight ideal for that position. Still played both ways. Remains a very good friend.

mthoopsfan said:
poorgriz said:
I think it’s hilarious that exactly one poster doesn’t need to post his credentials here because he’s the only one that has already done that about a thousand times through the years.

Let's see your credentials. I assume yours don't exist. By the way, I posted mine. Did you miss that?

What I was saying is, you didn't need to post them because you've already done that 1000 times. My playing credentials? Ok, I'll play. Played through High School on a class A team, undefeated my senior year until playoffs, then lost out. Didn't have the desire (or probably talent) to play football in college. So in other words, exactly the same playing experience as Bobby Hauck.

poorgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
Let's see your credentials. I assume yours don't exist. By the way, I posted mine. Did you miss that?

What I was saying is, you didn't need to post them because you've already done that 1000 times. My playing credentials? Ok, I'll play. Played through High School on a class A team, undefeated my senior year until playoffs, then lost out. Didn't have the desire (or probably talent) to play football in college. So in other words, exactly the same playing experience as Bobby Hauck.

As I thought, you have little playing credentials. Bobby Hauck has huge football credentials and coaching experience. I rarely posted my football credentials. If I posted them a 1,000 times, tell us what they were. You are a troll, have little football knowledge, and are a loser.

mthoopsfan said:
poorgriz said:

As I thought, you have little playing credentials. Bobby Hauck has huge football credentials and coaching experience. I rarely posted my football credentials. If I posted them a 1,000 times, tell us what they were. You are a troll, have little football knowledge, and are a loser.

You're so precious PR! :lol:

GrizMania said:
kemajic said:

Playing vs Dave McNally...awesome!
Yes, for sure!

Dillon said:
In reading the thread about Peyton I thought this might be a good time to spell it out!

Mine - I grew up (grade school years) in the small town of Harlowton. My first experience with football came when my Mom signed me up for the local Ford Punt Pass & Kick competition & won a full Vikings Uniform for being the hard luck Cowboy. When I punted the ball it went straight up and came down & hit me on the head.
I watched my future brother-in law win a State Class B Basketball Championship (in Harlo) under Coach Bob Petrino. I later Played for Coach Bob Petrino in the East West Shrine game for the West team. I then went to U of MT & played football for the Thumpers.
Was on the 880 relay team w/ Mr. Donovan that won state.
I ended up being a Sports Director at Malmstrom AFB.

What say you?

1964 harlowton state b basketball championship. Moved to harlo in 1962 and played lots of football on the courthouse lawn. Always had a good football team for one of the smallest class b schools in the state.

poorgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

You're so precious PR! :lol:

So, no real athletic credentials? That's all you've got.

Hoops...it's great that you had the grades to get into an Ivy League school but the truth is you played for a non-scholarship team in a non-scholarship conference because no legitimate football program would give you an athletic scholarship. I'm sure you're going to respond by telling everyone that you turned down an offer form Bear Bryant but even the few guys on this site who support you because they feel sorry for you aren't going to buy it.

Grizfan-24 said:
Was born in a log house in Illinois in the early 19th century, had a full neck beard at 10, started wearing stove pipe hats at 14 to keep people from focusing on my enormously large.....forehead... Also learned the dark art skills of Vampire defense and prevented a full scale invasion by Southern Vampires into the North....

That aside, grew up in Missoula. Really average football player, not big enough to play on the line nor quick enough to be a receiver. That was good enough to get some playing time on the only good Missoula high school team in the 90's but not great enough to get anything more than a TFL in the 1994 State Title game in Missoula in mop up time. I was absurdly tall as a middle schooler in Missoula and set a record for the number of missed shots in a Kiwanas Middle School game at half time of a Griz game in the 6 th grade. As people will tell you, including Jaxon Nap, it is vastly easier to be short and then grow then the other way around and I played a couple of years of basketball in high school and then moved onto the University of Montana to play some mean pickup games at noon in McGill against some of the best basketball players wearing full plastic body suits. My claim to fame during that era: Getting dunked on by Josh Lacheur (sp) in a pick up game. Also played baseball. Was good enough to play legion, and set an unofficial record for sitting the most consecutive innings (151 in a row) during the 1994 season where Missoula was one game away from the Legion World Series. I did strike out Lyle Overbay, Missoula Osprey RBI record holder in the regional contest against his Centralia Washington team in a LO game that year with a 75 side arm fastball from the Left side followed up with to 52 mph palm ball changes. Pretty sure he hadn't seen anything that slow since major boys.

Aside from that, played a lot of golf. I've been good enough to play in the low single digits, but anymore my only real goal in golf is not to pull a back muscle or end up with a bad case of plantar fasciitis if I don't wear orthotics in my shoes. Been coaching sport, in a rather pedestrian manner for close to 30 years now, and consistently reminded that I couldn't succeed at it even at the Class C level in Montana. I have opinions, so much so I have been known to blog extensively and engage in double speak and occasionally asked by people to talk about it. When I am not doing the above I am ranting on twitter.

WARNING: Name Drop Alert Coming Up🚨
I first met Josh the summer of 88 at the BCI Tournament in Phoenix when he played for Cy’s Guys AAU team. Flash forward to 1992, I’m playing some pinball and knocking back some “cold filtered, never heat pasteurized” Miller Genuine Draft at the Vu Villa. In walks Josh with then college roommate and Griz teammate Gary Kane (who I’d known and competed against in hoops and the high jump since 7th grade circa 83). Had a great evening catching up with both them.

Montanabob said:
Dillon said:
In reading the thread about Peyton I thought this might be a good time to spell it out!

Mine - I grew up (grade school years) in the small town of Harlowton. My first experience with football came when my Mom signed me up for the local Ford Punt Pass & Kick competition & won a full Vikings Uniform for being the hard luck Cowboy. When I punted the ball it went straight up and came down & hit me on the head.
I watched my future brother-in law win a State Class B Basketball Championship (in Harlo) under Coach Bob Petrino. I later Played for Coach Bob Petrino in the East West Shrine game for the West team. I then went to U of MT & played football for the Thumpers.
Was on the 880 relay team w/ Mr. Donovan that won state.
I ended up being a Sports Director at Malmstrom AFB.

What say you?

1964 harlowton state b basketball championship. Moved to harlo in 1962 and played lots of football on the courthouse lawn. Always had a good football team for one of the smallest class b schools in the state.

Our football field was Coach Dunn's yard with his son Mike w/ my Vikings Uni of course!

Oldschoolhornet said:
Hoops...it's great that you had the grades to get into an Ivy League school but the truth is you played for a non-scholarship team in a non-scholarship conference because no legitimate football program would give you an athletic scholarship. I'm sure you're going to respond by telling everyone that you turned down an offer form Bear Bryant but even the few guys on this site who support you because they feel sorry for you aren't going to buy it.

Actually, I turned down several scholarship offers from the Big Sky, because I wanted to play D-1 (not small college) and go to the Ivies. I could have gone to Wash. St. with coach Jim Sweeney, and he took 2 players from our team, both of whom played 4 years and started. Jim Sweeney Jr was our high school qb.

One of my teams ended up ranked no. 14 in the nation, ahead of schools like Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, and Penn St. https://collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?seasonid=1970. We won the Lambert Trophy as the best team in the East over Penn St. Penn St's running backs that year were Franco Harris and Lydell Mitchell. I played against the runner-up to the Heisman 3 years, and will be having dinner with him in NYC next week.

I'm glad I went to an Ivy. I got a great education and met a lot of great people. It enabled me to do a lot of fun things in life. Okay, now I'm going to be extra obnoxious. For example, my family went to Germany for 2 weeks in December. To the Fiesta Bowl and National Championship game. I'm going to the Ivy football dinner next week in NYC. Not sure on Super Bowl yet. Class mini-reunion in Naples, Florida in February. Indian Wells Tennis. The 2023 Rugby World Cup in France for 3 weeks. Looking at a trip to Tahiti. As I've said before, I think I've done pretty good for a kid who grew up in his early years in a two-room shack on a reservation, with no electricity running water or indoor plumbing.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to defend myself again. Ha.

One thing I will say. You can’t argue with hoops about his credentials. Pretty amazing story honestly.

BDizzle said:
One thing I will say. You can’t argue with hoops about his credentials. Pretty amazing story honestly.

Ageee, remarkable! And Native American hall of famer. Pretty damn awesome really.

grizfnz said:
Grizfan-24 said:
Was born in a log house in Illinois in the early 19th century, had a full neck beard at 10, started wearing stove pipe hats at 14 to keep people from focusing on my enormously large.....forehead... Also learned the dark art skills of Vampire defense and prevented a full scale invasion by Southern Vampires into the North....

That aside, grew up in Missoula. Really average football player, not big enough to play on the line nor quick enough to be a receiver. That was good enough to get some playing time on the only good Missoula high school team in the 90's but not great enough to get anything more than a TFL in the 1994 State Title game in Missoula in mop up time. I was absurdly tall as a middle schooler in Missoula and set a record for the number of missed shots in a Kiwanas Middle School game at half time of a Griz game in the 6 th grade. As people will tell you, including Jaxon Nap, it is vastly easier to be short and then grow then the other way around and I played a couple of years of basketball in high school and then moved onto the University of Montana to play some mean pickup games at noon in McGill against some of the best basketball players wearing full plastic body suits. My claim to fame during that era: Getting dunked on by Josh Lacheur (sp) in a pick up game. Also played baseball. Was good enough to play legion, and set an unofficial record for sitting the most consecutive innings (151 in a row) during the 1994 season where Missoula was one game away from the Legion World Series. I did strike out Lyle Overbay, Missoula Osprey RBI record holder in the regional contest against his Centralia Washington team in a LO game that year with a 75 side arm fastball from the Left side followed up with to 52 mph palm ball changes. Pretty sure he hadn't seen anything that slow since major boys.

Aside from that, played a lot of golf. I've been good enough to play in the low single digits, but anymore my only real goal in golf is not to pull a back muscle or end up with a bad case of plantar fasciitis if I don't wear orthotics in my shoes. Been coaching sport, in a rather pedestrian manner for close to 30 years now, and consistently reminded that I couldn't succeed at it even at the Class C level in Montana. I have opinions, so much so I have been known to blog extensively and engage in double speak and occasionally asked by people to talk about it. When I am not doing the above I am ranting on twitter.

WARNING: Name Drop Alert Coming Up🚨
I first met Josh the summer of 88 at the BCI Tournament in Phoenix when he played for Cy’s Guys AAU team. Flash forward to 1992, I’m playing some pinball and knocking back some “cold filtered, never heat pasteurized” Miller Genuine Draft at the Vu Villa. In walks Josh with then college roommate and Griz teammate Gary Kane (who I’d known and competed against in hoops and the high jump since 7th grade circa 83). Had a great evening catching up with both them.

Yeah, he was a much better athlete at 6-10 than you'd think. I'd spend way too much time playing pickup in McGill and got to see some suprisingly good basketball there. Including a whole host of UM football players that were absolute nightmares to play against. The worst? Andy Thompson. Not only was he freaklishly athletic, he was a physical and mean SOB on the floor. One of the most functionally strong and athletic people I've seen play in person. Learned that all the positioning and good fundamentals doesn't have an answer for 6-10 guys or those who can flick you to the side line with an arm bar. Genetics wins every time.

Back