• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recruit beats MT All Class 100 state record

SaskGriz said:
cclarkblues said:
GRZFTBL said:
cclarkblues said:
The wind never blows in Billings.

Especially up here between Skyview & Lake Hills. :thumb:

I still haven't figured out how you can play a round of golf and have the wind in your face for all 18 holes.

I like it, it gives me an excuse for my scores. And it's not the fact that I see the cart as nothing more than a drink holder with wheels.
Other than driving into ponds name one other thing they are good for.

Drinks and that's it............until the DUI crowd starts policing golf courses too. :roll:

griz71 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
griz71 said:
What football position does DD play? Any "metrics" on his size?

WR he is under 6 foot and around 160-170lbs

Thanks Alpha--similar numbers to a fellow named Mariani... :thumb:

And MM is much bigger now than when he left here. He will be in town this weekend and speaking at the Special Olympics dinner Friday. Check it out!

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
SaskGriz said:
cclarkblues said:
GRZFTBL said:

I still haven't figured out how you can play a round of golf and have the wind in your face for all 18 holes.

I like it, it gives me an excuse for my scores. And it's not the fact that I see the cart as nothing more than a drink holder with wheels.

Drinks and that's it............until the DUI crowd starts policing golf courses too. :roll:

Holy Crap! I am in 100% agreement with an ALPHA post, next we will be having a group hug and singing Kumbaya

SaskGriz said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
SaskGriz said:
cclarkblues said:

Holy Crap! I am in 100% agreement with an ALPHA post, next we will be having a group hug and singing Kumbaya
Hold on pal......I don't care how they do things in Canada....... but here a simple handshake will do.

:coffee:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
SaskGriz said:
cclarkblues said:
GRZFTBL said:

It only seems to blow like that when I'm walking. I guess the good thing is walking into the wind is good mime training.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Butte High Junior Dalton Daum ran a 10.66 100 yard dash this past Friday in Billings at Skyview. The record is 10.67.

Misleading title…

As you mentioned earlier, records can only be set at state. This is due to wind, but mainly because state is under an F.A.T. system, which has more accurate times than a hand time.

I have no idea if the meet with Daum was F.A.T. or not, but it doesn't really matter…while an incredibly impressive time, there have been faster times in state history.

Tyzer Cady ran a 10.4 (hand timed) 100 back in 2008, Chris Wilson ran a 10.48 in 2009 in the AA prelims, which most likely was under an F.A.T. timing system…and I wanna say back in 2010 there were a couple kids who ran around a 10.4, but they had a big tailwind.

Anyways, Daum is very, very fast, he's just not a record holder in the 100 yet. It would be surprising/impressive if he could beat Chris Wilson.

/big track buff

Team10 said:
It was posted awhile ago, not sure where, but he has more than football offers coming his way. I believe he received a letter of interest from LSU which is a big time SEC track program, mostly known for their sprinters and jumpers.

Wasn't Questad of Livingston the last great white American sprinter?

grizophile said:
Team10 said:
It was posted awhile ago, not sure where, but he has more than football offers coming his way. I believe he received a letter of interest from LSU which is a big time SEC track program, mostly known for their sprinters and jumpers.

A Butte guy named Dan Hanley used to blow the doors off of people in the 100 and 200. He wasn't spectacular in the 40, but once he hit over drive...bye...bye... :egriz:

grizophile said:

When Larry Questad was attending Stanford University wasn't there also a Glenn Havesjold (sp) from out of Havre that was also a member of the same relay team along with Questad that established an NCAA record at the time? Back in the mid-60's I believe, if not mistaken. Perhaps someone from the Hi-Line can enlighten.

Daum's time was F.A.T, and yes there was wind. The reason you can only set records at state, is because the MHSA is only ones who run wind gauges and they only do it for State. Very likely Daum's time would have been over the allowable for wind if measured.

that is a major league fast time for a person who can play the game of football at a 1st team all state level,,,,not just a track athlete....

WyomingGrizFan said:
grizophile said:

When Larry Questad was attending Stanford University wasn't there also a Glenn Havesjold (sp) from out of Havre that was also a member of the same relay team along with Questad that established an NCAA record at the time? Back in the mid-60's I believe, if not mistaken. Perhaps someone from the Hi-Line can enlighten.

Tom Green. He made a few USA Pan American Teams. I don't think he ever made the Olympic cut though. He was top 10 fastest guys in the world for a while. I think he may even be from the Dakotas. Very fast white guy.

CV Griz Fan said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
grizophile said:

Tom Green. He made a few USA Pan American Teams. I don't think he ever made the Olympic cut though. He was top 10 fastest guys in the world for a while. I think he may even be from the Dakotas. Very fast white guy.

Pretty funny guy too. Undercutters Pizza.

There have been a handful of kids that have beat the state record. It's unfortunate that the records can only be broken at the state meet. There are a lot of kids that had broke record earlier in the season but had the misfortune of poor conditions at the state meet that prevented them from stamping their name on the record books. As long as the times are electronically recorded, that time should be eligible for the record in my opinion.

grizophile said:
Team10 said:

Questad won ncaa 100y (9.7) and was second in 220 as a soph at Stanford in early 60's. Then had injuries and missed '64 Olympics. Was then one of the top 5 or so runners in the world for about 5 years. Think he ran on a world record 4X100 relay at one point. Ran 5th in the 200 '68 Olympics. Recall that this was when his teammates Smith/Carlos had the famous raised fist/glove photo on medal stand, and then got immediately kicked off the team and sent home. That was Questad's last race in competition. Personal bests of 10.18 in 100m and 20.28 in 200m--both run in '68. Another fast white guy, Bill Johnstone of Bozeman, was a few years after Questad. Ran a 9.9 100y in high school. Bozeman high has translated it to meters, and it's the oldest track record at the high school. Johnstone is now the CEO of DA Davidson and one of the new regents. Was a triple jumper at MSU.

grizophile said:
Was it hand held timed? Lots of B and C guys on the east side run phenominal, usually wind aided times, in pre State Meet or Divisionals. Mostly a bunch of old, slow twitch guys running the clocks. I know, I been there. Hell of a time if legit! Does Steve Heberly still hold the state 100M Dash record?

Steve Heberly (Havre) still does hold the Class A state 100M dash record, set in 2003, with a time of 10.74. However that is slower than the Montana All-Class record, which is held by Chris Wilson (Class AA, CMR), set in 2009, in the time of 10.67. Wilson also holds the All-Class 200M record, set in 2009 as well, which he ran in a blitering 21.06. Wilson is currently a SR at msu and is dominating the Big Sky Conference.

griz71 said:
What football position does DD play? Any "metrics" on his size?

He is primarily a WR, but has played FS as well. Good kick and punt returner.

A fall of 2013 BHS football program has him listed at 6'1" 175 lbs...

Back