• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recruit beats MT All Class 100 state record

Hammer said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
griz71 said:
What football position does DD play? Any "metrics" on his size?

WR he is under 6 foot and around 160-170lbs
Still a growing boy I hear he is at 6 foot right now and about 175. I expect a huge senior season for him. Yes he is on the Griz coaches radar and is a Griz fan. I doubt he would ever sign with bozeman state

Texas wants their players back, that or they demand bozo state changes their name to Texas State-North.

PTGrizzly said:
Misleading title…

As you mentioned earlier, records can only be set at state. This is due to wind, but mainly because state is under an F.A.T. system, which has more accurate times than a hand time.

I have no idea if the meet with Daum was F.A.T. or not, but it doesn't really matter…while an incredibly impressive time, there have been faster times in state history.

Tyzer Cady ran a 10.4 (hand timed) 100 back in 2008, Chris Wilson ran a 10.48 in 2009 in the AA prelims, which most likely was under an F.A.T. timing system…and I wanna say back in 2010 there were a couple kids who ran around a 10.4, but they had a big tailwind.

Anyways, Daum is very, very fast, he's just not a record holder in the 100 yet. It would be surprising/impressive if he could beat Chris Wilson.

/big track buff

Misleading post...

I didn't mention earlier, that records could only be set at state. Someone else did.

I never said Daum was the record holder. I said he beat the All Class state record. Which 10.66 is beating 10.67.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Hammer said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
griz71 said:
What football position does DD play? Any "metrics" on his size?

Still a growing boy I hear he is at 6 foot right now and about 175. I expect a huge senior season for him. Yes he is on the Griz coaches radar and is a Griz fan. I doubt he would ever sign with bozeman state

Texas wants their players back, that or they demand bozo state changes their name to Texas State-North.

He attended the MSU junior days in March.

rollo_tumasi said:
Daum's time was F.A.T, and yes there was wind. The reason you can only set records at state, is because the MHSA is only ones who run wind gauges and they only do it for State. Very likely Daum's time would have been over the allowable for wind if measured.

Thanks for the great/informative post. :clap:

krammer said:
that is a major league fast time for a person who can play the game of football at a 1st team all state level,,,,not just a track athlete....

Good post, krammer. Spot on.

The coaches were drooling over signing Evan Epperly S/WR out of Glacier this year, and rightfully so. He was a "stretch" to get, they said, and I agree with.

And Daum (a junior) is everybit the football player, and already has faster 100 and 200 times.

In fact, MontanaTrack.com is predicting Daum to finish 1st in both the 100 and 200 this year, and it is predicting Epperly to finish 4th and 6th respectively.

At the 2013 State Meet (electronically timed, and the use of wind gauges), Daum (a soph) ran a 10.84 in his prelim race, and he ran a 10.89 in the final.

Almost a full year later at a 2014 regular season track meet, Daum (a junior) ran a 10.66 (electronically timed, no use of wind guages).

It will be interesting to see if he can run the 10.66 again at state in 5 weeks, or how close he can come to it.

His senior times should be his best... :D

KoolMoeDee said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Hammer said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

He attended the MSU junior days in March.

I know, his teammates had to hose off the stank on him when he got back to town. :thumb:

PTGrizzly said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Butte High Junior Dalton Daum ran a 10.66 100 yard dash this past Friday in Billings at Skyview. The record is 10.67.

Misleading title…

As you mentioned earlier, records can only be set at state. This is due to wind, but mainly because state is under an F.A.T. system, which has more accurate times than a hand time.

I have no idea if the meet with Daum was F.A.T. or not, but it doesn't really matter…while an incredibly impressive time, there have been faster times in state history.

Tyzer Cady ran a 10.4 (hand timed) 100 back in 2008, Chris Wilson ran a 10.48 in 2009 in the AA prelims, which most likely was under an F.A.T. timing system…and I wanna say back in 2010 there were a couple kids who ran around a 10.4, but they had a big tailwind.

Anyways, Daum is very, very fast, he's just not a record holder in the 100 yet. It would be surprising/impressive if he could beat Chris Wilson.

/big track buff

Big track buff, yes let's talk Tyzer "Unhook the Trailor" Cady. The only truely accurate times in Montana high school track are the ones that are electronically timed AND wind monitored. Hence, at the state meet at the end of the year, those are the only times that meet accurate criteria.

So you say 10.4 for Cady huh? Well let's look at what Kady ran when he was electronically timed and wind monitored (which only happens at state meets).

State 2006: 11.62, good for Class B 6th place.
State 2007: 11.21, Class B 1st place (respectable time, not elite however) :clap:
State 2008: 11.62, good for Class B 4th place.

PTGrizzly, you said "It would be surprising/impressive if he could beat Chris Wilson."

I agree, anytime someone can set a new state record is impressive indeed.

You shouldn't be too suprised if Daum does become a record-holder however. Reason being, Chris Wilson ran the 100 at state his Junior year in 10.82. Well Dalton Daum ran the 100 at state his Sophomore year in 10.84 prelim and 10.89 final. The younger Daum's time is right on Wilsons a$$.

State 100M will be interesting in 2014 and 2015.

By the way, it's very impressive to have someone running in the likes of Chris Wilson because he is pure and utter lightening in a bottle! Wow

IntuitiveGriz said:
PTGrizzly, you said "It would be surprising/impressive if he could beat Chris Wilson."

I agree, anytime someone can set a new state record is impressive indeed.

You shouldn't be too suprised if Daum does become a record-holder however. Reason being, Chris Wilson ran the 100 at state his Junior year in 10.82. Well Dalton Daum ran the 100 at state his Sophomore year in 10.84 prelim and 10.89 final. The younger Daum's time is right on Wilsons a$$.

State 100M will be interesting in 2014 and 2015.

By the way, it's very impressive to have someone running in the likes of Chris Wilson because he is pure and utter lightening in a bottle! Wow

Wilson's 200 time was one of the very fastest in the nation. Daum is a much better football player than Wilson was though. Hopefully we can land him.

rimrockgriz said:
grizophile said:
Team10 said:
It was posted awhile ago, not sure where, but he has more than football offers coming his way. I believe he received a letter of interest from LSU which is a big time SEC track program, mostly known for their sprinters and jumpers.

Wasn't Questad of Livingston the last great white American sprinter?
A Butte guy named Dan Hanley used to blow the doors off of people in the 100 and 200. He wasn't spectacular in the 40, but once he hit over drive...bye...bye... :egriz:

Good memory, rimrockgriz.

Here's what happened at the 2009 State Track Meet:

200M - Chris Wilson, CMR, 21.06 (new all class state record, old record 21.5 set by Dan Hanley of Butte in 1981);

Griz Fans all remember speedy Tuff Harris (Colstrip), former Griz CB, Returner and NFL'er. Tuff ran 10.88 at state in 2001 his junior year. Daum ran 10.84 and 10.89 at state his soph year.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Griz Fans all remember speedy Tuff Harris (Colstrip), former Griz CB, Returner and NFL'er. Tuff ran 10.88 at state in 2001 his junior year. Daum ran 10.84 and 10.89 at state his soph year.

Harris was a four-year starter at cornerback for the Grizzlies and set school records as a punt returner (including longest return and most return yards in one game).

He was a Dolphin, Saint, Titan, and Steeler.

It's kind of shocking to me that Marc Mariani never ran track in HS.

Mariani attended Class A Havre High School where he was awarded 10 letters: three each in football and basketball and four in tennis.

1st, 2nd & 3rd Class A State 100M times his 4 years in HS were:

FR: 1, Steve Heberly, Hav, 11.27; 2, Dan Knox, Lew, 11.64; 3, Zack Stajcar, BuC, 11.70;
SO: 1, Steve Heberly, Hav, 10.74; 2, Cody Henning, WhiFi, 11.18. 3, Brian Skattum, Liv, 11.48;
JR: 1 (tie), Cody Henning, WhiF, and Dan Johnson, Liv, 11.13; 3, Gordy Jessop, Corv, 11.36;
SR: 1. Zack Gill, Col, 11.40; 2. Colby Staudohar, Ana, 11.42; 3. Kyle Welnel, Sid, 11:45;

It appears he would/could have won two 100M state championships his JR and SR seasons.

Who can give me the breakdown on "Evan" Epperly ? I watched 1980's Jeff crush it at hoops and play QB at Flathead. I also watched his younger brother "Jim". It sounds like athleticism to the max to me. Is the kid a multi sport athlete? duh.. Who has the skinny? thanks... :egriz:

IntuitiveGriz said:

Tuff ran a 10.77 at state his junior year. The following year he had a perfectly timed start...too perfectly timed that it was ruled a false start and he was disqualified

His fastest FAT time was a 10.68 that had been wind adjusted from a 10.5X (I believe a 10.52) at Eastern A Divisional.

gah-riz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Tuff ran a 10.77 at state his junior year. The following year he had a perfectly timed start...too perfectly timed that it was ruled a false start and he was disqualified

His fastest FAT time was a 10.68 that had been wind adjusted from a 10.5X (I believe a 10.52) at Eastern A Divisional.
Haha I was at the track meet where Tuff false started. Two or three years ago I saw him and his wife at a friend's house and asked him about it...he wasn't very happy that i remembered him false starting haha

gah-riz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

http://www.montanatrack.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; posts times from track meets, including state meets.

Tuff Harris at STATE

100M - 11.37, 5th Place, Class B, Lodge Grass
200M No Time

***The link does not work, so see below.

100M - 10.88, 1st Place, Class A, Colstrip
200M - 22.29, 2nd Place, Class A, Colstrip

100M - No Time
200M - 22.59, 2nd Place, Class A, Colstrip

The 2000 State meet results tab does not work, so if you go into the 2000 Deep Lists link it posts the best times run in the state over that year track season. Here is the link:

http://www.montanatrack.com/00DeepList/Boys/00deepB.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It lists Tuff's best times in 2000 as:

100M - 11.0, 1st in Class B, tied for 11th best in the state.
200M - 22.40, 1st in Class B, tied for 6th best in the state with 3 others.

2001 Eastern A Divisionals Harris ran 10.68, and followed that up with running 10.88 at 2001 State. Where/when did Harris run 10.77 :?:

2002 Eastern A Divisionals Harris ran 10.95.

IntuitiveGriz said:
gah-riz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

http://www.montanatrack.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; posts times from track meets, including state meets.

Tuff Harris at STATE

100M - 11.37, 5th Place, Class B, Lodge Grass
200M No Time

***The link does not work, so see below.

100M - 10.88, 1st Place, Class A, Colstrip
200M - 22.29, 2nd Place, Class A, Colstrip

100M - No Time
200M - 22.59, 2nd Place, Class A, Colstrip

The 2000 State meet results tab does not work, so if you go into the 2000 Deep Lists link it posts the best times run in the state over that year track season. Here is the link:

http://www.montanatrack.com/00DeepList/Boys/00deepB.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It lists Tuff's best times in 2000

100M - 11.0, 1st in Class B, tied for 11th best in the state.
200M - 22.40, 1st in Class B, tied for 6th best in the state with 3 others.

2001 Eastern A Divisionals Harris ran 10.68, and followed that up with running 10.88 at 2001 State. Where/when did Harris run 10.77 :?:

2002 Eastern A Divisionals Harris ran 10.95.

Someone fat fingered the entry at montanatrack

9. Tuff Harris. The sprinter out of Colstrip set the all-class state record in the 100 meters, blazing through in 10.77 seconds at the state track meet at the Metra. So a bunch of us scribes waxed superlative about the junior, filling up column after column with his exploits. Then Harris’ teammate Kevin Criswell summed up the athlete in three words a day later. “He'’s a freak,” said Criswell, who’s now a University of Montana basketball player.

http://www.mhsa.org/TrackField/Brackets/2002-03T&FIndResults-AA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/done-griping-here-s-the-best-in/article_3a1703dc-b2d8-563e-955e-ad68ff66a516.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back