• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A different way of looking at the Van Diest thing

grizpack

eGriz Club
DONOR
It seems pretty clear that most people on this board consider Van Diest to be the "next hire", whether at MSU or UM. If he goes to MSU, I think that is a good hire for them, given the circumstances. I also think it is a good thing for UM.

I know that is sacreligious, but here is why I think so. I will start by saying I am not a big Van Diest fan. I remember him when he was here the first time, and wasn't a big fan then. I also remember the things he said about UM when he was fired with the rest of Donovan's staff. He can clearly coach at the NAIA level, but I am just not a huge fan. It remains to be seen how he can recruit on this level.

If he doesn't go to MSU, and BH leaves, there will be a certain (loud)faction that will insist that O'Day immediately drive to Helena and hire Van Diest. I don't think this would be good.

However, if VD does go to MSU, UM can actually look at all available candidates without a lot of pressure to hire one particular candidate. There may be some pressure for a couple of in-house candidates, but don't think it would be as much as if VD were still on the market.

I know I am in the minority on this, but I think this may work out for the best for both schools.

I think you make some valid points. If and when Bobby leaves hiring Van Diest if he were available would definitely be the safe hire. He may or may not be the saviour for the cat program. It would allow us to make a decision in a timely manner and letting the whole process play out.

I'm not a big fan of promoting one coach as the end all of be alls and both Montana schools seem to be doing that with Mike Van Diest. Does anyone remember last season when Van Diest made it to a couple Griz games? They announced his presence over the public adress system so we could all give him a warm welcome, which is nice but I have to think the U's motives went beyond being a good host.

Truth is, there are a lot of good coaches in college football today and fans can't always see the best ones through the W's and L's. I'm always amazed when talking with coaches who they consider to be the up and comers in their profession. Unlilke fans, they'll throw out names from schools big and small with absolutely no affiliation with their home state or school and they'll also speak confidently of coaches fans are quick to write off because of a lack of coordinator expereince or head coaching experience.

It's a big world out there and I sure hope UM doesnt' limit its next search to just a couple guys with a few more thrown in for appearance's sake.

Grizpack-I don't think that you are in the minority regarding Van Diest. Let him stay at the NAIA level or go to MSU.

grizpack said:
It seems pretty clear that most people on this board consider Van Diest to be the "next hire", whether at MSU or UM. If he goes to MSU, I think that is a good hire for them, given the circumstances. I also think it is a good thing for UM.

I know that is sacreligious, but here is why I think so. I will start by saying I am not a big Van Diest fan. I remember him when he was here the first time, and wasn't a big fan then. I also remember the things he said about UM when he was fired with the rest of Donovan's staff. He can clearly coach at the NAIA level, but I am just not a huge fan. It remains to be seen how he can recruit on this level.

If he doesn't go to MSU, and BH leaves, there will be a certain (loud)faction that will insist that O'Day immediately drive to Helena and hire Van Diest. I don't think this would be good.

However, if VD does go to MSU, UM can actually look at all available candidates without a lot of pressure to hire one particular candidate. There may be some pressure for a couple of in-house candidates, but don't think it would be as much as if VD were still on the market.

I know I am in the minority on this, but I think this may work out for the best for both schools.

you bring up some good points about recruiting.

i'm uncertain as to VD's recruiting connections, good or bad.

personally, i hope the next UM coach is well connected the way Hauck is. usually this comes from experiance .

i wouldn't mind seeing VD at MSU. is he a good coach? sure?
but could he right now out recruit Hauck out of state? i don't think so.
and as important as X's and O's are, recruiting is still the most important thing. imho.

Agreed GrizPack, I'm concerned about his ability to recruit at the 1AA level, especially out of state. I'm also concerned about his adjustment from Frotier to Big Sky, the players are better and faster and the opposing coaches are usually much better.

Let me remind several posters on here that many of you were so upset that Kramer went to msu, and not to UM when Joe Glenn bolted to Wyoming and Kramer had already committed to msu. Knowing what we know now, it looks as though things worked out pretty well, although we will never really know how it woul dhave playe out under Kramer at UM. He might have done amazing things, or the influx of JCs might have had a negative effect overall. I guess we are left to speculate on that.

I think Mike Van Diest is going to be successful at msu, or UM if that ever happens. What I don't want to happen, is not opeing a search up nationwide if and when BH moves on. To not look at the very best candidate possible would be shortsighted.

If MVD goes to the dark side, then I wish him well.

If and when Bobby Hauck leaves, there are lots of good coaches out there. Maybe we can steal a coach from, say, Eastern Washington.

AllWeatherFan said:
If and when Bobby Hauck leaves, there are lots of good coaches out there. Maybe we can steal a coach from, say, Eastern Washington.

We'll give Montana Lou Patrone free of charge!!!

:laugh:

Lou Patrone was Sac's DC for about 15 years or so and had a great aggressive, physical scheme but couldn't play-call his way out of a paper bag. I don't know how he conned about three HCs into keeping him around. Patrone was famous for his line, "Short memory, short memory!" for when his beloved Air Traffic Control (i. e. the DBs) screwed up.

In this regard, he was sort of like Bruce Pielstick, John Volek's OC buddy that had a pretty good West Coast scheme but, again, couldn't play call worth a darn. It was SOP for him to call stretch on third and long. Also, Pielstick was fond of repositioning good quarterbacks. He made Jeff Schultz a TE, Scott Towne a WR, and couldn't decide whether or not he wanted Garrett White to be a WR or a RB. Towne and White were, IMO, championship QBs on otherwise weak teams who weren't given a real shot by an ignoramus OC.

How many draft picks are you including in this here deal, SH?

This may just be a 'thanx, but no thank you' kind of deal. Who knows, maybe we're better off than we think we are?

What I don't want to happen, is not opeing a search up nationwide if and when BH moves on. To not look at the very best candidate possible would be shortsighted.

I hear that HC Houston Nutt may be falling out of favor with Arkansas. I wonder. Hmmm.

WyomingGrizFan said:
How many draft picks are you including in this here deal, SH?

This may just be a 'thanx, but no thank you' kind of deal. Who knows, maybe we're better off than we think we are?

You do realize, of course, that I'm being kinda-sorta facetious, WGF?

:tounge:

WyomingGrizFan said:
What I don't want to happen, is not opeing a search up nationwide if and when BH moves on. To not look at the very best candidate possible would be shortsighted.

I hear that HC Houston Nutt may be falling out of favor with Arkansas. I wonder. Hmmm.

sometimes you feel like a Nutt, and .....never mind :shocked:

Now I havent been on for a while, but whatever happened to:

Spanky says who?

Spanky says thank you?

And Grizpack-Spanky doesn't think that you are in the minority regarding Van Diest. Let him stay at the NAIA level or go to MSU.

Just wondering

Spanky has given me permission to communicate in the first person, however, I must determine his views on key issues before posting.

Thanks for the clarification.

Spanky said:
Spanky has given me permission to communicate in the first person, however, I must determine his views on key issues before posting.

When BH leaves the grizz, I sincerely doubt that MVD will be the best applicant to replace BH (probably not even in the top 5). I am sure MVD is probably also aware of this fact and would therefore jump at the chance to coach the bobcats. He would be a good choice for MSU, especially if cleaning up your program is a top priority.

Latest posts

Back